• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube controller analog cap replacement

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
would it be possible to replace the analog cap with one from a PS2 controller?

Dre the Ace

Smash Ace
Holy ****, this is exactly what I was looking for. Someone needs to see if it's good or not.

Also, does anyone know if the analog sticks from the nunchuk will fit on the GC controllers?

TheGoat

Smash Ace
The shipping really kills it. Also, most people don't have a triwing screwdriver. I wish nintendo would just come up with an analog stick that is made of reliable material. Like the xbox's analog stick, it's pretty indestructable. Poke the gcn's controller with your nail and it's dented.

UltimateHaxor123

Smash Apprentice
i bought one a while back from the same site. they're legit (idk if they're official or not but they work really well). U don't really need a triwing screwdriver, i opened both my controllers up with a flathead and it worked fine

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
The control stick analog caps that I ordered are the real thing. They are new and have great grips.
I just got mine and they're definitely not the originals. These are 3rd party (aftermarket).

Don't get me wrong tho. Even if they're not the originals, these cap's grips are simply excellent. I think they will feel better than the originals when I put it into my controller.

I will give feedback whenever I decide to reopen my pad to try it.

TL?

Smash Ace
Are these seriously any good? I have 5 controllers and 4 of them have messed up analog stick caps. I've had to steal the sticks from my wii nunchucks. How long does it take for these to arrive as well?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Not to revive a dead thread but I ordered a 10 pack of these (received 11) and 3 C-sticks, and they are incredible. The total including shipping was $36 and I got them in two days. More smashers need to know about these so check them out, they have many different options for purchases and sell a lot of other cool stuff too. Best buy I've made in a long time.

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
Well since this thread has been revived anyway I thought I'd give my input.
I ordered a few of these a while ago, and my experience is that they are absolutely terrible. I don't know if I got a bad batch or something, but they were nowhere near the quality of the official sticks.
For one, the sticks were too short. The rubber padding on the top actually made contact with the controller when I moved the stick all the way so I had to put a little piece of paper inside to raise it up a little bit.
Also, the quality of the top of the stick was garbage. It actually wore down after only a couple hours of use.
Not only that but it is put together very poorly. The rubber cap came off almost immediately after playing on all but one of my replacements.

All that said, other people seem to like them so maybe I got unlucky. If you really need a replacement cap then the Nunchuk cap fits perfectly and is much more durable. It's raised up higher than the Gamecube one however so it might make it more difficult to be technical.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
After testing for many hours the control stick is definitely holding up fine. The C-Sticks however are awful, don't buy them. You're right about the control sticks being slightly shorter, but it hasn't affecting my game play at all - aside from not hearing the "click click click" when you dash dance, I haven't noticed a difference.

I also was using a white stick from a Classic Controller, however the height change definitely takes getting used to, and in my experience has made good dash dancing much more difficult. The nubs also wear down and due to the lack of grip on them become more slippery than a regular controller stick.

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
The shorter analog cap wouldn't be a problem, but the rubber part of the stick rubs against the controller.
So for something like dash dancing it's not an issue but waveshining becomes pretty much impossible.

A dude I know used the wii nunchucks analog stick and he claims it's better.
I'd say it is and I do that too. The grip is better on the thumb so you won't lose grip as easily. The stick is longer which means it'll also take longer to hit directions. Might be good mainly for nontechnical characters

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
i'd totally order a new controller for official parts, or to completely replace an old controller that had numerous hours spent breaking it. why did this thread exist?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Actually yes I'm going to have to retract my review of these sticks and I hope that nobody purchased them based on my word.

The control sticks wore down rather quickly with just a little more use. It seems like they'd be fine for any other game, but for Smash where you really put a lot of stress on your controller it will fall apart quickly.

There are a few more out there on the internet that I'm considering purchasing and giving a try to. I'll post here if I find anything good.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
After testing for many hours the control stick is definitely holding up fine. The C-Sticks however are awful, don't buy them. You're right about the control sticks being slightly shorter, but it hasn't affecting my game play at all - aside from not hearing the "click click click" when you dash dance, I haven't noticed a difference.

I also was using a white stick from a Classic Controller, however the height change definitely takes getting used to, and in my experience has made good dash dancing much more difficult. The nubs also wear down and due to the lack of grip on them become more slippery than a regular controller stick.
Did you ever find something?

tan(90

Smash Apprentice
Problem solved, I got a billion of these sticks from taking apart OEM controllers (yes, the original nintendo controllers) and have them for sale on my store:
http://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.co...cts/1832632-gamecube-analog-stick-first-party
and with a triwing:
http://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.co...pair-kit-w-triwing-screwdriver-gamecube-stick
Wow. I checked out that website, and now I really want to buy the Gold/Black CCpro. I use CC for PM because the y button and the c-stick are very close together.

Last edited:

CT Legion

Smash Rookie
I just ordered from you GCS. Once I get it I'll check back in and let everyone know how they are!
I just got one of the newly made Smash controllers in like, may. Already destroyed the thumbpad. That pad is pretty much the only bad thing about that controller.

CT Legion

Smash Rookie
Are sticks available for Wavebirds?
Ummm Wavebirds use the exact same stick as normal controllers, so yes.

Also, I got my stick in from GCS Gaming Customs! (Ages ago, I almost never check my mail)
It looks, and more importantly feels, literally EXACTLY like a true gamecube thumbstick. Their claims that they ship first party sticks are definitely legit.

Thanks GCS, Now I can stop buying new controllers every month.

Top Bottom