• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game: Who do you think will be the next character announced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Thanks!

Dedede is more important to the Kirby franchise and is more popular than Meta Knight though. The reason Meta Knight was revealed before Dedede in Brawl is because he is much better trailer material. Also, like Sakurai himself says, people look too much into the stuff he posts on Twitter, the whiteboard drawing isn't a big indication of anything.

That's not saying that Meta Knight can't be revealed before Dedede, it's worked once before, I don't see why it wouldn't work again. I just see Dedede as more likely for some reason, let's call it a gut feeling.
You're welcome!

It does make sense. I don't think Brawl's trailer would have left a greater impact to me if it didn't have Meta Knight.

I do see Meta Knight or King Dedede being revealed pretty soon I imagine. I can't tell who would be revealed first however. Though, I am going to change my opinion and think that either Wario or Ness will get announced next. (Ness is a secret character in SSB64 and Brawl, but he could be a part of the initial roster for SSB4 like in Melee or he could just be revealed early)

MattX20

Smash Hero
I wonder what design Zelda she will have when she's inevitably revealed.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I... have no idea who's gonna be announced next. o_o; I hope it's a newcomer.

If I had to guess, maybe someone else from the Kirby franchise like Metaknight or Dedede...? Perhaps someone from the Mother series?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
So, there are no major party Nintendo releases for any party level coming up in September. It appears that Sakurai is reinforcing the whole 'game release = game character rep' (that was worded poorly) with Pikmin & Olimar revealed in July for Pikmin 3 in Japan and most recently, Luigi for Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. in Japan. I'm positive we'll see the exciting 4th newcomer this time around. September should be an interesting turnout to say the least.

My Predictions

Fire Emblem rep: This is the first of established franchises that have shown representation after game reveal. As soon as the E3 trailer was revealed, Arena Ferox from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Brawl seems to point at a tradition of bringing the latest lord in as a starter for the newest installment, in this case, Chrom. Marth would be plausible and his inclusion as a starter character seems to show demand because of how he is considered the series mascot. However, his reveal might disgruntle certain fans that Awakening doesn't get representation in the roster or they are saving someone for a secret. Robin, Lucina, and Ike are also considered to be contenders, but may have less priority than the previously mentioned two. Lucina has a huge standing in the Fire Emblem fanbase as well as being used to heavily promote FE:A-related merchandise and memorabilia. Although, she is too aesthetically similar to Marth in their most previous appearances and when stripped down to the linear progression of her starting class, she has just as much moveset potential as Chrom. Robin would be a brilliant addition, bringing magic and swords into the Smash series, as FE's other weapon classes have never been showcased in a Smash game before. There are concerns to his/her ambiguity, but this can easily be covered up with voice and costume alterations. Villager's appearance shows that customizable avatar characters can be considered. Ike appeared in Brawl, had an original moveset, a playstyle not seen from Marth or Roy, as well as representing Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn. Whether he feels outdated from 'Flavor of the Installment' or whether he could work as a secret is a question that has no clear answer. He could still represent his main line of games as well as having relevance with FE:A DLC and popularity wrought from Brawl.

Kid Icarus rep: This is the second of established franchises that have shown representation after game reveal. Pit was the first Brawl veteran to the point where he was showcased for the initial trailer. Recently, a Kid Icarus: Uprising stage that many have speculated to be the Reset Bomb Factory, as well as Sakurai implying hints to it through descriptions. Kid Icarus: Uprising was released before the Smash reveal at E3, so like FE:A, a reveal around a recent release would make any character outprioritized. Palutena has gained almost universal appeal as she would have tons of moveset potential, increased effectiveness to the series with Uprising, as well as adding a female fighter. Magnus has a chance as well. Medusa and Hades have also been requested quite a lot, but there are concerns over retooling their characters and their size as shown in KI:U boss battles. However, Palutena has projected herself to gargantuan size like that many times before, so shrinking them down to Palutena's regular size would be a sinch. Not so sure if Hades would be as effective that shrunk though.

Retro franchise/recent franchise rep: With the two prioritized returning franchises out of the way, how about someone completely fresh like the 3 newcomers we have thus far? First up, Little Mac. He's been an Assist Trophy in Brawl, has been revived for a new installment on the Wii, has huge recognization and popularity especially in the West, and would bring a unique moveset revolving around boxing. Many people have said that the boxing/wrestling ring stage shown in the trailer pretty much confirms him. Keep in mind the stage doesn't represent Punch-Out! for all we know, but it would make a suitable homestage for him nonetheless. The Ice Climbers have been around since Melee, but there have been complications with the AI programming for dual characters as stated by Sakurai in one interview. But if Olimar can work even with what seems to be a gimped maximum of Pikmin, why can't the Ice Climbers? Other characters who could appear include, but are not limited to; Takamaru from Hajime no Ippo, Saki or Isa-Jo from Sin & Punishment, Isaac or Matthew from Golden Sun, and Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles.

Wonder Red from The Wonderful 101: Amongst all the other series that have a good chance of getting a newcomer or getting in, there has been one game Nintendo has been heavily promoting; The Wonderful 101 from Platnium Games, developed by Hideki Kamiya. Wonder Red seems to be the lead of the game, and would no doubt bring a slew of unique moveset potential with the gimmick or combining heroes for ultimate attacks or just using those attacks regularly without a 'Pikmin'-esque gimmick. However, Sakurai would likely try to represent the nature of the game he originates from, so he might have to find a neat way to utilize this. Nonetheless, the characters in W101 have been shown to have their own dynamic attacks exclusive to each hero. Whether this could be used for standard moves or a Final Smash remains to be seen. Not sure whether to say his inclusion would be 2nd or 3rd party considering Platnium Games is an independent developer, but Nintendo is publishing W101 as well as Bayonetta 2.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My gut is telling me we'll get a newcomer in the next two months. My gut is an appealing optimist.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
A Pokemon trainer,Mewtwo or Lucario.
I don't think Jigglypuff will be revealed because Sakurai needs to know what fairy moves Jigglypuff can learn and he will need to wait a time after the pokemon x/y release.
Maybe... XD

D

Deleted member

Hard for me to say. If it's a newcomer, then I predict Little Mac. Though, I think that the Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff, or Sonic will get announced next month.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'm Feeling Yoshi is coming up. That's my prediction for next. Pokemon doesn't need a sales boost.

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
I'm Feeling Yoshi is coming up. That's my prediction for next. Pokemon doesn't need a sales boost.
Peach didn't either.
Why was she announced? Are we getting a Mario Newcomer in December? Is Zelda going to be announced to keep the female Character comparison shots going? Is Palutena going to be revealed?
Pokemon worldwide release is to big not to play off of the hype. A worldwide release of a new pokemon game is like Christmas for Nintendo they are going to be wheel barreling in money. Having a pokemon character announced will broaden the audience of SSB. If im not mistaken Pokemon sells more than SSB. Pokemon doesn't need help but pokemon can help ssb.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Peach didn't either.
Why was she announced? Are we getting a Mario Newcomer in December? Is Zelda going to be announced to keep the female Character comparison shots going? Is Palutena going to be revealed?
Pokemon worldwide release is to big not to play off of the hype. A worldwide release of a new pokemon game is like Christmas for Nintendo they are going to be wheel barreling in money. Having a pokemon character announced will broaden the audience of SSB. If im not mistaken Pokemon sells more than SSB. Pokemon doesn't need help but pokemon can help ssb.
for a game that's over a year away from release? I'm sticking to my prediction. I want to predict different than everyone else.

If it is a pokemon, I think it's going to be kalos trainer (referred to as Pokemon Trainer).

TigerBizNiz

Smash Apprentice
Probably Zelda is next. I think they're trying to announce all the obvious veterans first and then they'll eventually announce all the newcomers and non-obvious veterans later. That's my current speculations.

I'm just hoping Ike eventually makes the cut. :nervous:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Biggest bets are on Yoshi, Diddy and Zelda. Also Pokémon Trainer I guess.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Biggest bets are on Yoshi, Diddy and Zelda. Also Pokémon Trainer I guess.
We'll probably get a character in two or three weeks time. If we don't see anything before the weekend that X/Y are released, I'm betting the preceding Friday or following Monday we will get Pokemon Trainer.

If we don't see anything like that (which would be stupid cuz MUH POKEMON!), I predict either Yoshi, Wario, or Diddy Kong.

I would love to see someone like Zelda or the Ice Climbers first, but eh. I expect one of these four is next. Course Sakurai threw a curveball with Peach earlier this month (who expected her so early?), so we might see someone who we had no idea would be revealed, like Lucas or Meta Knight. Or a new character altogether! (Doubtful, save it for a Direct)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
My guess is either PT or Mewtwo.

OR...

Possibly Zelda on Thursday.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Peach didn't either.
Peach was announced due to Mario's anniversary I believe.
There were no new games for the veterans this month, surprising when you consider the amount coming out next month.

So with Peach coming out before her game, Toad seemingly shot down, and Bowser Jr/Paper Mario/Waluigi/Geno having NOTHING to do with 3D world(at least Bowser Jr hasn't been announced yet for it) I feel like November is either going to be Zelda, Ganondorf or possibly even Captain Falcon.

It's F-Zero's anniversary in November and let's be honest here; there's no chance Falcon's going to get a game released between now and then. He could be revealed during Mario Kart since that's more like F-Zero than ever now, but Wario's most likely getting his reveal then.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Famous dude from Tumblr: I see far more MUH SAWNICK than MUH POKÉMON when it comes to a character reveal in October.

You know, I'll forever love Diddy and I'll announce my new relligion to be Diddy-thist if Diddy gets to snatch away that 'spotlight' position from Sonic. Cause that's just high class **** man.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I posted a calendar a while back. I've now updated it and hopefully covered most of the possibilities.

OCTOBER: Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Pichu, or Mewtwo (Pokemon X & Y) -OR- Sonic (Sonic Lost World)
NOVEMBER: Zelda or Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds) -OR- Sonic (Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games) -OR- Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze)
DECEMBER: Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze) -OR- Ice Climbers (They're a winter themed character for the holiday season... this one isn't as likely as the rest but it should definitely be considered)
NEXT YEAR: Yoshi (Yoshi's New Island, Yarn Yoshi), Marth, Ike, or Roy (Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem)

My personal guesses though? Pokemon Trainer in October, Zelda in November, and Diddy in December.

EDIT: Seeing that Toon Link was confirmed, I think that two returning veterans per month will now be a regular thing. My new monthly guesses are Pokemon Trainer and later Mewtwo for October, Zelda and later Sonic for November, and Diddy Kong and later Ice Climbers for December. I also expect to see Wario, King Dedede, Ness, or Mr. Game & Watch sometime soon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's likely, cause all those 3 characters are basically 2nd most important in their series.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I personally really want to see the Ice Climbers. Just so we can get an update on how they're doing on the 3DS.

Michael Blaine

Smash Apprentice
No newcomers or returners until next year I'd say, maybe not until next E3. They're gonna trickle out veterans as long as possible. I hope I'm wrong. Next one I'd say Yoshi.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
My personal guesses though? Pokemon Trainer in October, Zelda in November, and Diddy in December.
That's what I'm sticking to too. Makes sense, and I'm pretty eager to see how Pokémon Trainer looks in this game.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I'm guessing Yoshi will be the next veteran and Fire Emblem will have the next newcomer, either Chrom or Lucina.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Pokemon Trainer in October.
Zelda in November.
Diddy in December.
Zero Suit Samus in January (just a hunch).
Wario for Mario Kart 8.
Yoshi for New Island.
And a newcomer somewhere in between October and January.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I have a theory that they might, unless there's a huge game comin out (Pikmin, M&L, etc.), they're going to just go through the columns from Brawl, veteran-wise. That's why I'm predicting someone from the three Mario spinoffs to appear as a character.

However, my theory could be easily disproved, and all three of these veterans were revealed for very important events (Pikmin, M&L, anniversary of Super Mario), so I could see Pokemon Trainer next month, Zelda November, and Diddy for December. And I would really hope for that since I love all 3 of these characters, especially Zelda and Diddy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm more interested in seeing what they'd do for Zelda than the character herself. Her playstyle never appealed me much. But I do think she'd be far more fun with tweaks. If she's revealed though, I don't expect Sheik to show up. For a change, I'll say that this doesn't have to mean she's out, just that in Brawl she was revealed last to. It'll probably stir up a lot of quetions wether Impa actually replaced her, but I think it's safe that Impa would be revealed after Zelda if she's in. So that's a reason for me to look forward to Zelda's reveal.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'm more interested in seeing what they'd do for Zelda than the character herself. Her playstyle never appealed me much. But I do think she'd be far more fun with tweaks. If she's revealed though, I don't expect Sheik to show up. For a change, I'll say that this doesn't have to mean she's out, just that in Brawl she was revealed last to. It'll probably stir up a lot of quetions wether Impa actually replaced her, but I think it's safe that Impa would be revealed after Zelda if she's in. So that's a reason for me to look forward to Zelda's reveal.
Agreed. I love playing Zelda, but even I know that she is not very appealing to someone who wants to dominate with a magical princess (Peach doesn't count, she has heart powers). And even if it's Impa or Sheik in the game with her, Zelda will most likely be revealed first (though in Melee's reveal, they showed off Sheik first).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sheik was really a sort of WTF-addition back then though. And at the time, even very relevant. Sparked up a lot of speculation though if Zelda was also in, or definitely out cause they picked Sheik. Back then, it was a good idea. Nowadays, that one apperance is still Sheik's only role. Sakurai couldn't have known that that was gonna happen in time though. So am still 50/50 expecting Impa. Mainly to just change around things in the Zelda cast more. If Zelda shows any signs of serious moveset revamps, I'll grow far more confident in Impa. If Sakurai posts MiiVerse updates about how Zelda 'was always a slow, but powerful character bla bla bla' I'll just throw in the towel, and say Sheik's back. Skyward Sword or mixed design Zelda makes me far more confident in Impa as well, wether OoT and TP Zelda would hint to Sheik more (plus a next character reveal that isn't Impa). So really, Zelda's confirmation can't come earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom