• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game: Who do you think will be the next character announced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You say what character you think will be revealed next, if you're right you get put in the OP, if not you can pick again.

Simple enough ain't it.

I'd guess a Nintendo Direct talking about the new features while showing some veterans like Yoshi and Zelda, followed by a newcomer. I'd guess Little Mac.

Characters in Order of reveal thus far

Villager
Mario
Link
Samus
Kirby
Fox
Pit
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Bowser
Wii Fit Trainer
Olimar
Luigi
Peach
Toon Link
Sonic

Morbi

Scavenger
I think Mewtwo is next. He is the only character aside from Ice Climbers that Sakurai has alluded to. Not only that... but his announcement would go in conjunction with his/her appearance in the new Pokemon movie. That would be a nice cross promotional. Not to mention... but it would be pretty hype to see a returning character so soon. It would show people that Sakurai is really considering his option. I mean a returning veteran is just as, if not more, interesting than a newcomer.

We should also consider that Mewtwo has been considered in every Smash game including the 64 version. So obviously Sakurai holds him in high regard.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
My dream scenario is that Nintendo makes a surprise appearance at Evo 2013, showing off a new trailer before/after the SSBM top 8 confirming a small handful of veterans and at least one newcomer.

Reznor

work in progress
they might release Olimar or a new Pikmin character to help build hype for Pikmin 3

Groose

Smash Champion
Veteran? Yoshi or Peach.

Newcomer? Little Mac or King K. Rool.

I do like the Mewtwo theory, though.

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
It might be someone like a Pikmin character or Mewtwo to cross promote, but I have been pondering something else:

When Brawl was shown, Snake was revealed in the first trailer so as to build hype. Then, when we though that couldn't be topped, we saw Sonic. In the first trailer for ssb4, we saw Mega Man, so who could they show to top that?

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
It might be someone like a Pikmin character or Mewtwo to cross promote, but I have been pondering something else:

When Brawl was shown, Snake was revealed in the first trailer so as to build hype. Then, when we though that couldn't be topped, we saw Sonic. In the first trailer for ssb4, we saw Mega Man, so who could they show to top that?
Pac-man is as close as you can get.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon Nurse announced the same day X and Y are released.

I like taking the long shot.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Pac-man wouldn't be much of a surprise and I'd be bummed if that's the best they could do.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'd prefer if they waited for a while and made another Smash 4 nintendo direct later in the year that showed more veterans and a few newcomers.

So like Peach, Yoshi, Zelda and whatever newcomers they have.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Yoshi would be the most obvious veteran to announce next. But the DOJO was never that predictable so probably not. So instead I'll go with King Dedede.

In terms of newcomers, I'll guess 1) Little Mac then 2) Mii then 3) Pac Man.

To those saying MewTwo will be next... I'd bet against you. He will be unlockable again and therefore not announced until after release.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Pretty sure I'm quoting/paraphrasing from another thread, but-

Logical choice = Yoshi

Preferred choice = Zero Suit Samus confirmation

Pessimistic/going off Brawl patterns = Fire Emblem rep, sure to spark a lively discussion.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Little Mac has my vote. The whole boxing ring stage just screams Punch-Out.

Yoshi, Peach, Diddy, Zelda, and Olimar all seem to be the next likely batch of veterans, imo.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'll take a shot in the dark and say Wario. :wario:

And wow, I've crossed 5,000 posts... in less than 7 months!

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
I think it's gonna be a obvious veteran such as Zelda or Peach. In terms of a newcomer, I think we get someone fairly expected like Little Mac or Palutena next.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think Mewtwo is next. He is the only character aside from Ice Climbers that Sakurai has alluded to. Not only that... but his announcement would go in conjunction with his/her appearance in the new Pokemon movie. That would be a nice cross promotional. Not to mention... but it would be pretty hype to see a returning character so soon. It would show people that Sakurai is really considering his option. I mean a returning veteran is just as, if not more, interesting than a newcomer.

We should also consider that Mewtwo has been considered in every Smash game including the 64 version. So obviously Sakurai holds him in high regard.
Remember when they were considering Mewtwo during the Pokemon event at E3, I don't Mewtwo is next in line, and I think he should be revealed later in the months.

D

Deleted member

Considering that Pac-Man, Little Mac and Mii have been all but confirmed at this point, I expect all of them to get revealed as the next three newcomers.

As for veterans, don't ask me, I have no clue.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I predict that Yoshi and Diddy Kong are shown in a Direct video along with Little Mac's announcement.

Next after that would be Ness and Peach, along with Palutena's announcement.

Next after that would be Zelda and Wario, along with Chrom's announcement.

Risky guesses I'm sure, but that's how I predict that the formats will be at least. 2 Veterans and 1 Newcomer per announcement. Of course they wouldn't make a big deal about the returning veterans, they're just kind of there.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Brawl took the direction of announcing more newcomers to the starting roster and keeping mainly veterans as unlockables. I wonder if this Smash Bros. will follow that pattern too...

Hong

The Strongest
I hate the idea of Pac-Man getting in. Nothing to do with disappointment so much as accepting they're in.
The thing is: Literally hundreds of thousands of people have predicted the roster. The trainer from Wii Fit, while uncommon, is certainly something I have seen at least a dozen times. Mega Man, like Sonic, is something people expected to be in the game, and the villager from Animal Crossing is an entirely reasonable assumption to be made from people who do not read every single article posted about Smash Bros. In short: people are heralding that one post as some kind of prophecy. It wouldn't be the first time the sheep went into the slaughter.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yoshi would be the most obvious veteran to announce next. But the DOJO was never that predictable so probably not. So instead I'll go with King Dedede.

In terms of newcomers, I'll guess 1) Little Mac then 2) Mii then 3) Pac Man.

To those saying MewTwo will be next... I'd bet against you. He will be unlockable again and therefore not announced until after release.
Does it really, truly matter? You just alluded to his inclusion anyways. As far as I am concerned Mewtwo is in the game. I will be horrendously shocked if he isn't.

The thing is: Literally hundreds of thousands of people have predicted the roster. The trainer from Wii Fit, while uncommon, is certainly something I have seen at least a dozen times. Mega Man, like Sonic, is something people expected to be in the game, and the villager from Animal Crossing is an entirely reasonable assumption to be made from people who do not read every single article posted about Smash Bros. In short: people are heralding that one post as some kind of prophecy. It wouldn't be the first time the sheep went into the slaughter.
That is funny. I looked through hundreds of lists and lurked on this forum (been looking since Brawls release). I haven't seen anyone predicting Wii Fit Trainer. Funny.

Remember when they were considering Mewtwo during the Pokemon event at E3, I don't Mewtwo is next in line, and I think he should be revealed later in the months.
Yeah. No doubt. I just use every opportunity I can to talk about Mewtwo. :laugh:

Hong

The Strongest
That is funny. I looked through hundreds of lists and lurked on this forum (been looking since Brawls release). I haven't seen anyone predicting Wii Fit Trainer. Funny.
I certainly have here and there (what, with how this game is talked about on every corner of the Internet), and the rest of the predictions are certainly common enough.

Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you really, honestly, without a doubt, think some teenager from America really knows the roster from a vaguely developed product. Really.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I certainly have here and there (what, with how this game is talked about on every corner of the Internet), and the rest of the predictions are certainly common enough.

Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you really, honestly, without a doubt, think some teenager from America really knows the roster from a vaguely developed product. Really.

Honestly, I would like to see some of those. Not to prove anything, but to think "Hey, these people actually thought about it"

Morbi

Scavenger

I was just saying that it is interesting that you came across a list with Wii Fit Trainer on it.

If I look in the mirror and ask myself if I honestly think some random guy knows the roster from a vaguely developed product... my answer would be no. That answer is as fallacious as "there must be other life somewhere! Look how big the universe is". You also seem pretty defensive. It could just be the way I am reading it. However, in my experience, that usually points to dishonesty. Maybe you have seen her on a few lists. If you didn't immediately think that the assumption was absurd, I would question your logic. If I told you AR man was in the game, you would dismiss me (rightfully so).

That is what I am getting at. If I ever saw Wii Fit Trainer on a list, I would automatically assume the individual was mentally challenged. Similarly to when I see Llyod Irving, or any other obscure 3rd party character.

That argument isn't enough for me. "surely someone knows the roster in a world so big" that is just making an assumption without any evidence. Is it possible? Of course! Is it likely? No... most people who made cohesive rosters would have never put Villager or Wii Fit Trainer in. Secondly, Megaman could have been hard to license. If Capcom said no, that would be the end of it. So we are fairly lucky to be getting Megaman. Hence, nobody with half a brain would put a 3rd party character that isn't Namco on their list because they don't understand licensing. So that is why pretty much every list fails to pass the internet test. There are too many factors to consider and every individual has a bias. That was all I was getting at.

Back on topic: If we were to be speaking logically (which we can't at this point) Yoshi is next.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Veteran: Yoshi, Olimar, Wario, ZSS
Newcomer: Little Mac, King K. Rool, Mewtwo

These seem the most likely to me
Bold meaning the most likely in my opinion

Xigger

Smash Lord
Mmmm.... for Brawl, Zelda was announced a month before Yoshi. Think that order might hold true, despite already being broken?

Hong

The Strongest
If I look in the mirror and ask myself if I honestly think some random guy knows the roster from a vaguely developed product... my answer would be no. That answer is as fallacious as "there must be other life somewhere! Look how big the universe is". You also seem pretty defensive. It could just be the way I am reading it.
Nothing I have stated is more defensive than necessary, and your read is false. Flags for someone who is defensive are words like "I am just saying", as if someone at all responding to a particular sentiment is encroaching on their grounds.

However, in my experience, that usually points to dishonesty. Maybe you have seen her on a few lists. If you didn't immediately think that the assumption was absurd,
Your psychoanalysis is incorrect, and needs further refinement. That said, it is true I have not actually counted the amount of times I have seen the trainer from Wii Fit suggested as a character. Still more than once; when I got the software (Wii Fit), I specifically remember comments like "I am picking the male trainer because he reminds me of Captain Planet" which led into a joke about him being in the next Smash Bros.

Secondly, Megaman could have been hard to license. If Capcom said no, that would be the end of it. So we are fairly lucky to be getting Megaman. Hence, nobody with half a brain would put a 3rd party character that isn't Namco on their list because they don't understand licensing.
Apparently anybody with 'half a brain" has read the hundreds of bits of pieces of information on the Internet that your average basic consumer never hears about. People will ask or expect Mega Man, like they would say Goku, Master Chief or Naruto. it is not stupid; just not well-read into the subject.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Wasn't Capcom open to the idea of Megaman being in Smash during the Brawl times?
Seeing that Sakurai is looking at the most requested 3rd party right now, its a really easy deal for Capcom and Sakurai.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Considering Mega Man hype might have cooled off by then, I think they might go with a mid-heavy hitter for the next reveal.

Something people will recognize.
I would love it if it were Little Mac, but I have a feeling Sakurai will toy with our feelings for a long while. (He needs his dose of fun too, after all).

So it's probably going to be someone else. My gut tells me it's going to be either Palutena if it's a "sidekick", or another newcomer from the Wii era.

Eh I dunno, hope it's LM.

Morbi

Scavenger
Nothing I have stated is more defensive than necessary, and your read is false. Flags for someone who is defensive are words like "I am just saying", as if someone at all responding to a particular sentiment is encroaching on their grounds.

Your psychoanalysis is incorrect, and needs further refinement. That said, it is true I have not actually counted the amount of times I have seen the trainer from Wii Fit suggested as a character. Still more than once; when I got the software (Wii Fit), I specifically remember comments like "I am picking the male trainer because he reminds me of Captain Planet" which led into a joke about him being in the next Smash Bros.

Apparently anybody with 'half a brain" has read the hundreds of bits of pieces of information on the Internet that your average basic consumer never hears about. People will ask or expect Mega Man, like they would say Goku, Master Chief or Naruto. it is not stupid; just not well-read into the subject.
Yes. I mentioned I could have been reading it wrong in the post. Perhaps you missed it? (this is in regard to your first and second paragraphs)

In regards to Wii Fit Trainer. As I expressed in my response. I had no doubt that you ran into it. I was just wondering why you didn't immediately dismiss the idea (further more, I was wondering why it even meant anything to you). If I ever ran into it I would have questioned whether or not the list maker was competent.

I suppose asking for unrealistic third-party characters in a game about Nintendo All-Stars is not stupid. I specifically remember asking why Master Chief wasn't in Call of Duty. I also asked myself why Cloud wasn't in my Legend of Zelda game. Days went by when I was playing Street Fighter wondering why Goku wasn't in it. Surely the two correlate. You would be correct... it would be harsh to call those people ignorant. They are just "not well-read into the subject" apparently they also severely lack common sense. If you wish to continue this debate, please PM me. I do not want to continue getting off topic.

Back on Topic: I suspect we will be getting a veteran. As evidenced by my more sincere Yoshi prediction. We have already received confirmation on 3 Newcomers. So I think it would be early to get another reveal.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Wasn't Capcom open to the idea of Megaman being in Smash during the Brawl times?
Seeing that Sakurai is looking at the most requested 3rd party right now, its a really easy deal for Capcom and Sakurai.

I remember it was something like this... Sakurai was never contacted by the Capcom and didn't pursue it, and over a radio talk Mr. Megaman said he would have loved it but was never contacted by Nintendo. As in they both waited for the other to call.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Considering that Pac-Man, Little Mac and Mii have been all but confirmed at this point, I expect all of them to get revealed as the next three newcomers.

As for veterans, don't ask me, I have no clue.
Already gotten, but there are many problems with that rumor. There is also the fact that Pac-Man is at the bottom of popularity of both the west and Japan (the latter doesn't even talk about him)
I haven't seen here. She wasn't popping up here. Not that I don't believe you, just interesting.

As for who is next, Yoshi and Little Mac are safe bets. I don't expect we'll see new characters for a few months now. I'd say around September/October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom