• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Play and Technical Analysis

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
@[TSON]

Y'know I understand that you are knowledgable about this stuff, but you really don't have to be so condenscending. I can get if this was about frame data, but this is something that comes from basic observation during game play. You said you aren't trying to act superior, but waving your status around like a banner isn't exactly humbling and speaks the opposite of your intent.
I wasn't being condescending until he quoted me and basically said "everything you said is wrong because I have this picture possibly disproving one thing that you said is probably true", and assumed I was being an ass when I wasn't which made him rude in his responses.
All I'm trying to say is I want to offer the knowledge and experience that I have with everyone, yes, including drawing some conclusions that may or may not be right. I can see some things that others might not, and I want to point them out. I have no idea why that's flame war worthy. I'm not selling it as fact.

I think it's reasonable to say "I have more Smash Bros. engine experience than some other people" when he called my credibility into question. I wasn't looking for a flame war with my original post, nor an argument, I figured if someone had a problem with it we could have some nice debate. But now we're slugging low blows and trying to discredit me? Really?

EDIT: I don't have any intention to continue this argument honestly. It's pointless and solves nothing. All we're doing is crowding people in this topic watching the flamewar instead of staying on topic. Cool! You found something that points that tethers might still home! Thanks! I can edit my post and we can move on and find more cool stuff. No need for all this.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I'm saying it would be a simple edit to correct since/if it was disproven. Also, as I said in my last post, in a future post after the original list, I clarified:

Ignoring that you misunderstood (probably my mistake, it's worded weirdly) my post or aren't remembering it correctly, I have never claimed that my being a PSA/Brawl/Melee hack programmer has made me 100% correct. I'm saying it allows me to catch some things that other people might not be able to. The point of that post was to share with everyone else what I was seeing. The original title of my thread was something like "Less Obvious Things" before it got merged. Again, may I stress that I wanted to share what I was thinking as I watched it, and the things I noticed.

Don't say they are facts if they aren't. That's the whole gist of my argument. All you had to do was say: these are things I think are happening and when someone discusses them with you, you say: Well I think they are happening because of this and that. Instead of saying: This are things that I am sure are happening and when someone discusses you with them you say: My experience gives me 100% certainty it is happening.''

If you are going to do the latter then make sure you truly are 100% correct or expect people to call you on it once you are proven wrong.

Obviously I'm not a machine, but my list is good and true. Pick your battles. I've already said that I'll be editing it if my findings are disproven. Just to make you happy I'll even put a (?) on it for now.

Excuse me? Me, and I quote, wanting to "dump my observations" into a thread for people to check out, discuss, and fact check along with me is taking blind guesses now? Everything I listed came from examining the video(s) as well as deeply studying the screenshots and Miiverse posts we've had so far, paired with my experiences. Excuse my peasant *** for not putting a (?) next to tethers not being in, and then saying in a later post that it seemed like a 99% chance that it was that way. How dare I not take that 1% into account.
They aren't findings if they aren't true. Also if you are looking for discussion on your theories then name them that, theories. Don't say they are facts.

There is no 99%, there was no way to tell if Z-Airs were back or not, literally no way. All you did was throw a blind guess, exactly as I said, your guess wasn't even a good one because it was very improbable they wouldn't be back.

No, you really aren't. You can't apologize for attacking someone and then continue attacking them in the same breath. Literally are u ok.
Ok, I'll be more specific. I am sorry if I am making you feel bad, my intentions are not to belittle you or hurt your feelings. I am not sorry for putting you in your place though, I think you, as well as many other forumers, need to understand the value of logical analysis (and/or truth depending on if you were really "certain" of Z-Airs not returning or if you were just saying it was a fact because you wanted to win an argument independently of whether you thought it was true or noe). Those are 2 different things. Sorry if it isn't understood.

I am in no way claiming I'm superior to someone else because I know how Smash games work internally. Please read my posts more carefully, I have no intention to even argue this. I'm not disputing that I can't predict the future with 100% certainty, either. I'm saying I can notice stuff that others might not, and thus I want to share that knowledge and my experiences with others. I explained clearly and concisely why momentum cancelling didn't seem to be returning. I explained clearly and concisely why smoke doesn't necessarily have to do with hitstun. I can make estimated guesses about the future with relatively good certainty, and I will continue doing so. I will also continue explaining clearly and concisely everything else that I have noticed if asked, and clarify things for people with questions in this section, because that's what I want to do with the information that I am familiar with. If your goal is to discredit me, you're not going to be able to.

I am giving information that falls into the stuff that I know, not stuff that is completely unrelated. This is more comparable to an athlete saying that a pair of cleats has bad traction in the mud, and thus the same cleats in a different color and a slightly different toe probably (and I quote, "has like a 99% chance") would as well. He would know that from experience, without even trying them on, from wearing cleats for years.
It isn't near comparable to your example. You being a mod doesn't give you any type of insight on whether Z-Airs would be back or not. There is no 99% chance. The mechanic can be taken out or could be left in, there is literally no way for you to know. Its exactly like the example I made, I literally changed Z-Air to Wario, it's the EXACT SAME conversation we had. Knowing the exact mechanics this game has is in no way possible. For all you know there could be a "moveset customization" that allows air dodges to act like Melee air dodges and Wave Dashing could be back. There is no way for you to disprove that (or prove it for that matter) until official source is given.

I wasn't being condescending until he quoted me and basically said "everything you said is wrong because I have this picture possibly disproving one thing that you said is probably true", and assumed I was being an *** when I wasn't which made him rude in his responses.
All I'm trying to say is I want to offer the knowledge and experience that I have with everyone, yes, including drawing some conclusions that may or may not be right. I can see some things that others might not, and I want to point them out. I have no idea why that's flame war worthy. I'm not selling it as fact.

I think it's reasonable to say "I have more Smash Bros. engine experience than some other people" when he called my credibility into question. I wasn't looking for a flame war with my original post, nor an argument, I figured if someone had a problem with it we could have some nice debate. But now we're slugging low blows and trying to discredit me? Really?

EDIT: I don't have any intention to continue this argument honestly. It's pointless and solves nothing. All we're doing is crowding people in this topic watching the flamewar instead of staying on topic. Cool! You found something that points that tethers might still home! Thanks! I can edit my post and we can move on and find more cool stuff. No need for all this.

You were being condescending before I said anything. From the very get go you seem to believe you know better than most of us but that isn't the point.

The point of this is so that you should understand what a theory and a fact is. It's like when the theory for the smoke being = to hitstun came up (which seems to be true) you claimed that no, it wasn't. It was explained to you how it could be = to hitstun and you claimed that it wasn't because that's not how Brawl works and that you know better because of your mod experience.

Brawl doesn't make characters glow when a player kills another one. Brawl doesn't make trails behind the player when launched. Brawl doesn't make attacks have a trail. It is pretty obvious Smash 4 is trying to be completely intuitive by trying to show everything there is to know to the player about attack properties and game state/information.

Yet for you it is completely out of the question that they redesigned smoke to make it practical. Not only do you not believe in it, but you claim we are wrong without any proof.

Just in case you try to give me those 99% arguments, let me quote you here.

"I can tell you that with 100% confidence from my experience with the Brawl engine."

Your list is not only inaccurate but you are also trying to kill off things that might actually be accurate. Things stated as theories (as they should be) and which players are trying to prove/disprove you only say: It isn't because I say so and I know better.

These are chain links tho. The bend in Brawl was kinda unrealistic, and would be even more unrealistic with the SSB4 arm.
Well, if we are talking about realism then the chain should probably start flopping at the very edge (farthest away from Link) and then curve in a sort of "wave-like" form then transforming into a sort of parabola until it ends up going completely upwards (vertical). But that would look incredibly weird as an animation IMO, plus it would make the animation kind of long (unless they retract it instantly or while its flopping, which is kind of what they do in Brawl/Melee). It's better for it to be like Brawl/Melee was.

As a last retort let me try and explain to you why your list is bad. The point of gathering information is for there to be information when we need it. If your information is wrong when we need it then we will draw wrong conclusions from it and the information is actually doing exactly what it's meant to prevent. If on the other hand your objective is to have fun discussing ideas, then post them as such, ideas, not as fact.

If in fact I am wrong and your intentions are to help the community in gathering information and informing people about things they might have missed then you should be able to tell why having a list filled with stuff that is speculation/assumptions and claiming them to be 100% accurate (or edited to 99% accurate) (when they are 50/50% guesses at best) is a bad thing and actually detracts from your intention.

Discussing the validity of your list isn't 100% offtopic as your list pertains to gameplay and technical analysis. If you want to be taken seriously then do edit your post and add a (?) to everything that is speculation and post at the top that things which have a (?) are actually pure speculation from your part and not "things that are almost certain".

I truly dislike people who misinform other people (it's been something I've disliked since my childhood). I don't know if that has become obvious in all of my posts throughout my history, but most of the time, when I do post, I do it to clear wrong information that I read, nothing personal.

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I'm essentially just going to ignore your post because you still seem extremely salty and rude and you seem to really want to believe that I'm pulling **** out of my ass completely which I'm not. If anyone wants citations for the stuff on my list or an explanation of why I was sure enough to place something on it, please let me know and I'd be happy to explain.

One thing I will say, though, to clarify what I mean by "experience":
- Staring at characters animations constantly
- Evaluating frame data
- Knowing formulas
- Changing and experimenting with things to figure out how the engine works
- Recreating the engine and characters
- Knowing when graphics play, what they look like and pertain to
- Knowing Brawl's API and being able to explain why things happen (it's safe to assume that it's most likely reused in SSB4 with minimal tweaks from what I can see, just like they did from Melee -> Brawl)
- etc.

These things still do carry relevance when evaluating a sequel. Some things, like platform cancelling for the sake of Zelda's up special, have meaning in the sense of the API and happen for specific reasons. Just like you know that, for example, jumping works a certain way in Melee/Brawl, I know the formula/visual representation for hitstun has been the same for the same 2 games. Just like you'd be able to say "there's double jumping" with 99% certainty on the day of the reveal, I'm able to say that smoke doesn't necessarily equate to hitstun like the reeling animation does right now. That is the sole purpose of the reeling animation.

And I'd also like to add that I've never said I was 100% sure about the particular assumption that upset you when you saw the screenshot today and made you rush into this thread and attempt to bastardize me immediately... by quoting that same post from before that was specifically about the tethers.
A good analysis will draw some conclusions, of course. I've looked at the footage a bunch of times and the only thing I'm not confident about is the stuff at a (?). I don't think it's necessary to wait until we have the game in our hands to test to draw any of these conclusions with relatively (read: like 99%) certainty.
That 100% comment iirc was about hitstun cancelling, and although that is technically an assumption, that is one I will stand behind 100% from seeing the several gameplay videos that have buffered airdodges.

Now let's move on. If you want to keep talking you can PM me if you really want, but I'm done with derailing this thread.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Knowing the engine != knowing Sakurai. I never claimed you didn't have experience I said your experience does not give you any more insight on whether something is returning or not than any of us have unless there is actually information to analyze that you can analyze better than us. Since there is no information on various topics on your list and since other topics have a varying nature, such as the inputs from a human player, you cannot claim to know better and that something is certain.

Just edit your post and be wary not to post wrong information claiming its true because you are the one who realized it. If you are unsure of something post it as speculation. If you think you are right about something and someone tries to discuss it with you don't just dismiss it with: It's how it worked before, I know it because I used to mod. Things change, if they didn't we wouldn't be analyzing the game at all. If you are proven to be possibly wrong (as in your "fact" is in fact a theory) then admit to it instead of just claiming you are 99% certain when its clearly not even a 50% chance.

That isn't only directed at you, its directed as the community as a whole, many, many people do the same thing you were doing. All in all, those things will make gathering information much easier and will allow the community to learn more from the game faster.

"That is the sole purpose of the reeling animation."
The animation isn't as clear as the smoke trail, if Sakurai wanted hit stun to be completely intuitive making it the smoke trail would be the smart choice for a designer.

Also that is not the "purpose" of the animation. The animation's purpose is to exemplify a state the character is in. You could cancel both the state and the animation in Brawl anyways which comes to prove that the smoke could serve as a timer for "when" you can break the state and animation instead of memorizing the exact frame for each attack at each % for every weight.

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
The reeling animation turns into the tumble animation (spinning clockwise) when hitstun is over in 64, Melee, and Brawl, that's your visual cue from before. It's possible he could have tuned smoke to that as well but thus far in Smash games, especially after bouncing off of a wall, smoke does not indicate hitstun. When you are in hitstun, you are in the reeling animation.

If you have a question about something in my list, please point it out. Do not assume that I haven't done my homework until you ask for it.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
The reeling animation turns into the tumble animation (spinning clockwise) when hitstun is over in 64, Melee, and Brawl, that's your visual cue from before. It's possible he could have tuned smoke to that as well but thus far in Smash games, especially after bouncing off of a wall, smoke does not indicate hitstun. When you are in hitstun, you are in the reeling animation.

If you have a question about something in my list, please point it out. Do not assume that I haven't done my homework until you ask for it.

Things don't stay the same, they change. Smoke being like that in Brawl does not mean it will be the same in Smash 4.

Variable hitstun only truly exists in Melee.

Let me explain better. Hitstun is what we named the the fact that you cannot act after being hit by an attack.

In the coding there is a state which the character enters after being hit, which uses the reeling animation. In Melee/64, while in this state you could not act, we named that "hitstun". In Brawl though the state was not what stopped you from acting or not, instead there was a small static (does not vary) window of hitstun, the same for every single attack at every single percent. The state and reeling animation still exist and still act exactly the same as they did in Melee/64, yet they don't stop you from performing actions.

That is an example of one time the reeling animation did not show off hitstun, as hitstun was much less than the animation itself.

This game is being made to be completely intuitive, the animations aren't something you can tell that well in the heat of battle. The designers are obviously trying their best to make things visible to players. They added a trail when a player is knockbacked, they added a trail to the direction of the attacks, they added a visual glow to a player when he gets a kill, they added "hit" effects when a hit connects with its target.

All of those are examples of things that weren't in the past game and were added in order allow the player easier visualization. Smoke could have been easily repurposed to allow the player to visualize hitstun effectively.

I do not assume you didn't do your homework. You should be clear on what's speculation and what isn't, you shouldn't need people to point it out. Anything that doesn't come from direct proof from either pictures or video is speculation. Unless you can post a quote from Sakurai/Namco, a picture or a section of a video to back up your argument then consider it a theory and state it as such.

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Things don't stay the same, they change. Smoke being like that in Brawl does not mean it will be the same in Smash 4.

Variable hitstun only truly exists in Melee.

Let me explain better. Hitstun is what we named the the fact that you cannot act after being hit by an attack.

In the coding there is a state which the character enters after being hit, which uses the reeling animation. In Melee/64, while in this state you could not act, we named that "hitstun". In Brawl though the state was not what stopped you from acting or not, instead there was a small static (does not vary) window of hitstun, the same for every single attack at every single percent. The state and reeling animation still exist and still act exactly the same as they did in Melee/64, yet they don't stop you from performing actions.

That is an example of one time the reeling animation did not show off hitstun, as hitstun was much less than the animation itself.
Hitstun cancelling is called hitstun cancelling because you are literally cancelling hitstun. The exact same formula that is used in Brawl to calculate hitstun is used in Melee, which differs based off of damage, knockback, etc. - the difference is that in Brawl there is code in Fighter.pac that allows specific cancels after a certain number of frames. If one were to take out the specific cancel, the frames that a player would spend in hitstun and thus the reeling animation would be identical to Melee if under the same conditions. We're obviously not going to get down into arguing whether or not the frames after the cancel kicks in should still be considered hitstun, but for sake of how I'm referring to it, I'm considering them as part of hitstun since the equation is the same (else the "hitstun cancel" name wouldn't really make sense imo).

In a simplified form, 4000 "miles per hour" knockback will cause, say, 400 frames of reeling animation. In 64/Melee this is how long you spend in your reeling animation, and how long until you can act. In Brawl, that is also how long you spend in your reeling animation, but after 10 frames you can cancel the hitstun bc Sakurai is crazy.

This game is being made to be completely intuitive, the animations aren't something you can tell that well in the heat of battle. The designers are obviously trying their best to make things visible to players. They added a trail when a player is knockbacked, they added a trail to the direction of the attacks, they added a visual glow to a player when he gets a kill, they added "hit" effects when a hit connects with its target.

All of those are examples of things that weren't in the past game and were added in order allow the player easier visualization. Smoke could have been easily repurposed to allow the player to visualize hitstun effectively.
KB trails already existed before - that's the smoke. The new trail is only for hard hits that send you at a high speed. Attack blurs were in as well, presumably these new ones use the same functionality as Brawl's sword characters do (looking at PM Sonic's fair for example, it looks plausible). Hit effects have always existed as well, they've just edited them a bit. I did say in the post you quoted that it could have been changed but you still need to take into consideration that it's been the same for 3 games in a row. You can't just ignore that when you're looking at the fourth unless there's concrete proof otherwise.

I do not assume you didn't do your homework. You should be clear on what's speculation and what isn't, you shouldn't need people to point it out. Anything that doesn't come from direct proof from either pictures or video is speculation. Unless you can post a quote from Sakurai/Namco, a picture or a section of a video to back up your argument then consider it a theory and state it as such.
Then almost everything anyone posts is a theory and everything needs a disclaimer until the game is out, really. Again, if you take personal offense to something, I can dig up what I used to come to the conclusion that I did. But, no offense to you, just like everyone else in this section, I'd like a free pass to speculate/theorize in a section where we're doing nothing but. I don't want to edit my entire post with 85 sources (which tbh would make it look messy and harder to follow) because you got upset by it. Quote what you'd like me to re-dig up my dirt on and I'll do that. That goes for everyone else as well, I'd be happy to show you why I've come up with these things.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Hitstun cancelling is called hitstun cancelling because you are literally cancelling hitstun. The exact same formula that is used in Brawl to calculate hitstun is used in Melee, which differs based off of damage, knockback, etc. - the difference is that in Brawl there is code in Fighter.pac that allows specific cancels after a certain number of frames. If one were to take out the specific cancel, the frames that a player would spend in hitstun and thus the reeling animation would be identical to Melee if under the same conditions. We're obviously not going to get down into arguing whether or not the frames after the cancel kicks in should still be considered hitstun, but for sake of how I'm referring to it, I'm considering them as part of hitstun since the equation is the same (else the "hitstun cancel" name wouldn't really make sense imo).
I haven't looked at Brawl's code but I have made a Smash brothers game myself for a class (used the Smash Flash sprites, didn't use an engine, everything on C# from scratch). From a game developer's perspective (Sakurai's team might have done it differently though) you normally define the states the characters is in. The animation is linked to a state and not a variable. The animation is looped while in the state and the state remains for a certain amount of time set by the programmer (in this case by the formula the programmer made).

Yes this is semantics but there is no such thing called hitstun in Brawl code (correct me if I am wrong), there is a state that uses the reeling animation. Hitstun is a term we made up to describe not being able to move after being hit. If you are able to move, then it isn't hitstun. Sure, its the same state that had hitstun in the 2 previous games and the state has the exact same duration as in the previous 2 games, but this game (Brawl) that state doesn't have hitstun.

We as a community called it hitstun cancelling because we aren't going to call it "reeling animation canceling" as we aren't the developers. Fact is hitstun has already ended by the time you can "cancel" it, since you can already perform any attack/jump/dodge.

Let's stop calling it hitstun for a second so as to not get confused. Fact is, reeling animation != how long a character cannot act, that is proven in Brawl. It was so in Melee and 64, it wasn't so in Brawl.

KB trails already existed before - that's the smoke. The new trail is only for hard hits that send you at a high speed. Attack blurs were in as well, presumably these new ones use the same functionality as Brawl's sword characters do. Hit effects have always existed as well, they've just edited them a bit.
I might be wrong on this one, but smoke still stays even after the trails start from high speed attacks, which means smokes and trails are completely different things in code, which means that no, they didn't exist before. I might need to check that.

The attack blurs that were in the game were not the ones that we have now, they are completely different. Look at Mario's tilts, the objective is to show the range of the attack and so that the player can see the attack better in the 3DS screen.

They've edited them to be more visually obvious that the attack is connecting and what spot/angle it connected at.

Those 3 things you said proves the designers are redesigning things that were in the game in a way were they now serve a purpose to help the player out. Smoke could have been equally redesigned to serve the purpose of showing off hitstun.

It is good to note than an animation like reeling, apart from being really hard to see, has no visual cue to its timer. It could end at any second and you aren't able to tell until after it ends. The smoke clears little by little, becoming smaller each frame giving a very clear visual cue as to how much time is left in hit stun. Much better way to do it.

Then almost everything anyone posts is a theory and everything needs a disclaimer until the game is out, really.
Exactly my point.

If you are going to post information that might be wrong, then place a disclaimer saying it is speculation and might be wrong. Don't just say you are 99% certain and that you are sure its that way when there is 0 proof of it.

There are things which are actual facts and are things people have missed. For example, lightning happening when you are hit with a strong attack. I didn't notice that from the trailer, yet it does happen. Rosalina's and Villager's attacks were analyzed from pictures until their whole moveset was known. Things like those are facts and can be analyzed from pictures/videos.

Gravity, you can clearly see this game has higher gravity, you can show a video comparing both games and its pretty obvious.

Friction and Momentum. Its pretty clear that there is a difference in momentum retention when a character lands as we see Megaman slide a couple of times. What is the difference? We don't know, but we can now speculate on it because someone didn't just claim it was wavedashing and that he knows its certainly that. You can speculate its wavedashing, just don't claim you are 100% sure. Add doubt, say "it might" instead of "it is". Say "things I believe" instead of "things are". (This is just an example, I know you didn't claim it was wavedashing, I don't think anyone has).

Again, if you take personal offense to something, I can dig up what I used to come to the conclusion that I did. But, no offense to you, just like everyone else in this section, I'd like a free pass to speculate/theorize in a section where we're doing nothing but. I don't want to edit my entire post with 85 sources (which tbh would make it look messy and harder to follow) because you got upset by it. Quote what you'd like me to re-dig up my dirt on and I'll do that. That goes for everyone else as well, I'd be happy to show you why I've come up with these things.
You can theorize and speculate all you want. You can do it without looking for sources or posting them. I never said you couldn't. I don't feel offended either.

What you can't (or shouldn't) do is call them facts and certainties when they are just speculations.

There are many people speculating, even the smoke trail is a speculation and a theory but no one is claiming it as fact, if they were I would also tell them to actually post a video of someone trying to air dodge out of the smoke and being unable to, with the controller being shown and the person pressing buttons frantically. Until we have a video of someone trying to escape hitstun (the state) and not being able to, or until there is a video of someone actually escaping hitstun all there is is speculation and should be labeled as such, not as fact.

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I haven't looked at Brawl's code but I have made a Smash brothers game myself for a class (used the Smash Flash sprites, didn't use an engine, everything on C# from scratch). From a game developer's perspective (Sakurai's team might have done it differently though) you normally define the states the characters is in. The animation is linked to a state and not a variable. The animation is looped while in the state and the state remains for a certain amount of time set by the programmer (in this case by the formula the programmer made).

Yes this is semantics but there is no such thing called hitstun in Brawl code (correct me if I am wrong), there is a state that uses the reeling animation. Hitstun is a term we made up to describe not being able to move after being hit. If you are able to move, then it isn't hitstun. Sure, its the same state that had hitstun in the 2 previous games and the state has the exact same duration as in the previous 2 games, but this game (Brawl) that state doesn't have hitstun.

We as a community called it hitstun cancelling because we aren't going to call it "reeling animation canceling" as we aren't the developers. Fact is hitstun has already ended by the time you can "cancel" it, since you can already perform any attack/jump/dodge.

Let's stop calling it hitstun for a second so as to not get confused. Fact is, reeling animation != how long a character cannot act, that is proven in Brawl. It was so in Melee and 64, it wasn't so in Brawl.
Reeling animation is the animation that contained the code that allowed you to cancel, though. And the first however many frames you spend in that reeling animation you can not act due to that reeling animation not allowing cancels. Hitstun is a calculated number [of frames], and airdodging or attacking doesn't change that calculation, it just cuts it short. It's kind of hard to explain, but you can read more here: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Hitstun

Particularly this excerpt:
"Brawl has the same hitstun multiplier Melee has. However, when hit, characters can now air dodge after 13 frames and attack after 25 frames out of hitstun, regardless of the actual amount of hitstun they sustained."

I might be wrong on this one, but smoke still stays even after the trails start from high speed attacks, which means smokes and trails are completely different things in code, which means that no, they didn't exist before. I might need to check that.
The smoke and trails are the same. The way that it works is that the game spawns the "smoke" graphic which is, say, for example, 15 frames long, once a frame for a couple frames. Although that smoke started where Yoshi was when I fsmashed him, 15 frames later there's gonna be another 14 smoke graphics still going on, all along the path that Yoshi was flying.

It is good to note than an animation like reeling, apart from being really hard to see, has no visual cue to its timer. It could end at any second and you aren't able to tell until after it ends. The smoke clears little by little, becoming smaller each frame giving a very clear visual cue as to how much time is left in hit stun. Much better way to do it.
Not true. Reeling happens from the calculated hitstun length, and right before reeling is going to end, the smoke always clears so you can know that you're about to be able to do something. Smoke trails that appear on frame 1 of reeling are the same size as the last frame of reeling.

Exactly my point.

If you are going to post information that might be wrong, then place a disclaimer saying it is speculation and might be wrong. Don't just say you are 99% certain and that you are sure its that way when there is 0 proof of it.

You can theorize and speculate all you want. You can do it without looking for sources or posting them. I never said you couldn't. I don't feel offended either.

What you can't (or shouldn't) do is call them facts and certainties when they are just speculations.

There are many people speculating, even the smoke trail is a speculation and a theory but no one is claiming it as fact, if they were I would also tell them to actually post a video of someone trying to air dodge out of the smoke and being unable to, with the controller being shown and the person pressing buttons frantically. Until we have a video of someone trying to escape hitstun (the state) and not being able to, or until there is a video of someone actually escaping hitstun all there is is speculation and should be labeled as such, not as fact.
This, my friend, is basically being in denial. The fact that Smash games rely on a buffering system and airdodges are always happening after reeling turns into tumble in every single gameplay video including a real match (MM vs. Mario)... This is something everyone should be able to look at the proof in the pudding and be like "Okay. I can accept that." or at least ask so I can help them understand exactly what's going on.
If you can't do that, that's fine, but you should not be trying to wipe the floor with me for gathering evidence and coming to a conclusion which I have no problem explaining further. Nobody else is doing that. There is not "0 proof" just because you're holding out for a specific video scenario that is probably not going to happen...

Of course it's still a theory, but it's one I believe in 100%. Looking at the evidence that we have more than enough of, it is gone. And just like a scientist with a new theory, I welcome anyone to prove me wrong with evidence of the contrary.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Reeling animation is the animation that contained the code that allowed you to cancel, though. And the first however many frames you spend in that reeling animation you can not act due to that reeling animation not allowing cancels. Hitstun is a calculated number [of frames], and airdodging or attacking doesn't change that calculation, it just cuts it short. It's kind of hard to explain, but you can read more here: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Hitstun

Particularly this excerpt:
"Brawl has the same hitstun multiplier Melee has. However, when hit, characters can now air dodge after 13 frames and attack after 25 frames out of hitstun, regardless of the actual amount of hitstun they sustained."
Ok, lets stop calling it hitstun so that you can understand better, because semantics is what is making the discussion hard on both parts.

Before going much further though "Reeling animation is the animation that contained the code"

Animations don't contain code (not behavior/physics code anyways), this has nothing to do with your post, I understand, I am just going to say that those are called behavior states in coding. These states contain the code and call the animation to loop while the code is being executed. This state would be the one "cancelling the players moves". Still, this is just semantics, its just a term (states), I still understood what you meant in your post so it isn't that big of a deal, just wanted to correct that tiny bit.

We are discussing whether the reeling animation (not state) is indicative of when you can act after you've been hit.

In Melee and 64, until the animation had not ended then you couldn't act. The timer for how long the state/animation lasted and the timer for how long your character couldn't act was exactly the same (or at least the formula used for both was the same).

In Brawl you could act before the animation ended, but there was no visual cue as to how much before, players have learned the exact frames and can memorize them if they want to (or just spam buttons like the do). This means though that the formula for the timer on the state/animation was different from the formula (in this case no formula just a set variable) that stopped you from acting. As such there were 2 separate timers, one for the state/animation and one for the variable that stopped you from acting (even though the one for the variable was a set number of frames and not a "formula").

In Smash 4, these 2 formulas (the timer for the state/animation and the timer that stops you from acting) could remain different formulas just like in Brawl. The formula that stops you from acting could be redesigned to have a completely new formula that is independent of the formula for the state/animation and thus they would each last different amounts of time.

There is no way you can prove/disprove that until we can play the game, but I have already proved that they have been different in previous games (Brawl).

As such, the smoke could serve as a visual cue for the second formula.

Even if both formulas are set to be the same, the smoke could still be redesigned to be a better visual cue of the first formula, as the reeling animation isn't such a great cue.

The smoke and trails are the same. The way that it works is that the game spawns the "smoke" graphic which is, say, for example, 15 frames long, once a frame for a couple frames. Although that smoke started where Yoshi was when I fsmashed him, 15 frames later there's gonna be another 14 smoke graphics still going on, all along the path that Yoshi was flying.
You haven't seen how the trail is spawned in Smash 4 as you haven't seen the Smash 4 code, you have no idea if they did do it the same way.

Unless you think they are spawned the same way, but that would still be a theory and that would lead to you claiming that the trail and the smoke are the same because they are spawned the same way then you are claiming they are spawned the same way because they are the same. You cannot do that to back up an argument, its a theory backed up by another theory.

For all we know the knockback trails could be done in a completely different way in code.

Not true. Reeling happens from the calculated hitstun length, and right before reeling is going to end, the smoke always clears so you can know that you're about to be able to do something. Smoke trails that appear on frame 1 of reeling are the same size as the last frame of reeling.
The smoke clears before reeling stops, as such there is still time in reeling which you cannot measure which makes my point true. Sure, you can sort of tell when its going to be, you aren't completely out in the air, but you cannot truly measure it like you would be able to if this smoke theory is correct.

I don't think you understand what I was trying to say in my post anyways. Think of it this way:

Project M's L-Cancelling vs Melee's L-Cancelling. Which is more obvious that you did do it correctly? Which one do you think is a better way to show the player that he is doing things right?

The same example could be done for Smash 4 vs Brawl/Melee Hitstun.

The smoke is a much clearer representation and allows you to measure how much time you have left in hit stun much more accurately than the reeling animation.

This, my friend, is basically being in denial. The fact that Smash games rely on a buffering system and airdodges are always happening after reeling turns into tumble in every single gameplay video including a real match (MM vs. Mario)... This is something everyone should be able to look at the proof in the pudding and be like "Okay. I can accept that." or at least ask so I can help them understand exactly what's going on.
If you can't do that, that's fine, but you should not be trying to wipe the floor with me for gathering evidence and coming to a conclusion which I have no problem explaining further. Nobody else is doing that. There is not "0 proof" just because you're holding out for a specific video scenario that is probably not going to happen...
I am not in denial, you cannot claim something as "fact" when it isn't. You can say it probably is true, it doesn't make it fact. It isn't a problem you have, its a problem society has and its the reason why human kind is so ignorant. Someone you respect claims something as a fact then you make assumptions about other things and call them facts to some other person who does the same to some other person and now that 4th person has no idea about anything and all of his "facts" are wrong.

It's also what causes lack of understanding in many different topics. I've literally seen people die because of things like this. Doctors that have degrees that believe something they heard from some trustworthy source who misinterpreted it from a lecture/paper from someone who actually knew what he was saying yet was a little vague about it and then someone dies just because the person who explained it to the doctor didn't want to say "that's what I think" instead of claiming it as actual fact. (I am not even kidding, and no, no one in my family has died because of that, that is not why I despise misinformation, it was just an example of something that happened last week and is still fresh in my mind).

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Animations don't contain code (not behavior/physics code anyways), this has nothing to do with your post, I understand, I am just going to say that those are called behavior states in coding. These states contain the code and call the animation to loop while the code is being executed. This state would be the one "cancelling the players moves". Still, this is just semantics, its just a term (states), I still understood what you meant in your post so it isn't that big of a deal, just wanted to correct that tiny bit.
If you want to be technical in that fashion, Brawl's API refers to them as Actions and Subactions. But we don't want to be technical, let's keep this easy to follow and use the terms everyone uses. I think you are making the mistake of assuming that all of this code is in one place, but it isn't. Fighter.pac both tells the characters what to play, and what to do when they play it. Correct, the "animation" is separate from the actions/subactions, but do know that if the animation changes, the code will not play. For all intents and purposes, the code is linked to that animation.

We are discussing whether the reeling animation (not state) is indicative of when you can act after you've been hit.

In Melee and 64, until the animation had not ended then you couldn't act. The timer for how long the state/animation lasted and the timer for how long your character couldn't act was exactly the same (or at least the formula used for both was the same).
There is no timer saying "you can't do anything". The reeling animation (subaction) simply does not have the code that says you CAN act out of it. However, fighter.pac's reeling "action" contains the code that would allow canceling.

In Brawl you could act before the animation ended, but there was no visual cue as to how much before, players have learned the exact frames and can memorize them if they want to (or just spam buttons like the do). This means though that the formula for the timer on the state/animation was different from the formula (in this case no formula just a set variable) that stopped you from acting. As such there were 2 separate timers, one for the state/animation and one for the variable that stopped you from acting (even though the one for the variable was a set number of frames and not a "formula").
It's...kind of like that. I'm starting to think I'm just failing to explain what's happening (or you're arguing for sake of my calling it hitstun which is really dumb).

When you hit someone, Brawl's engine calculates the number of frames of hitstun. The reeling animation is the visual representation for the frames of hitstun. If a player presses nothing, this "hitstun" formula tells the game to play the reeling animation and count down to 0. Then you go into tumble. The code that is linked to this reeling animation in fighter.pac that automatically plays forces that, once you're on a certain frame, you can airdodge/attack out of it. Note that those are the only things that you can do, there is no jumping or etc - these are specific interrupts. This is not a formula. The code looks something like this:
Asynchronous Timer=9
Allow Specific Interrupt - Airdodge
Asynchronous Timer=23
Allow Specific Interrupt - Aerials

This means that, no matter what, if you are in the reeling animation and you hit frame 10, you will airdodge.

When you hit someone in Melee/64, the engine calculates the number of frames of hitstun. The reeling animation is the visual representation for the frames of hitstun. This "hitstun" formula tells the game to play the reeling animation and count down to 0. Then you go into tumble.

Literally the only thing you're arguing is if the hitstun formula is called the hitstun formula. Which it is, according to Smash Lab & the like. This independent code that is in the reeling animation does not exist in other games and is not a formula.

There is no way you can prove/disprove that until we can play the game, but I have already proved that they have been different in previous games (Brawl).
There is a very simple way. I'm not sure how I can make gifs to show you, but watch gameplay clips closely.
Brawl has a system called buffering. This means that if you do an action before you are "able" to do it, the game will keep trying for a couple frames. If you, for example, do a down smash, and then during the last couple frames of endlag, you press A, that input will be "buffered". The first frame that you are able to jab, the game will automatically jab for you.

How is this relevant, you ask? Watch the gameplay clips from the Direct, and also watch the Mega Man vs. Mario video. When these characters suffer knockback, they go into reeling. Fine and dandy. Then they go into tumble.
Now watch closely, slow the video down during knockback. This was especially clear for me during a point in the MM vs. Mario video where MM hits Mario over to the left near the platform. I slowed this down to .25x speed and watched as Mario went into reeling, then into tumble for one frame, and then airdodge immediately. This behavior is mirrored many other times during the match, and also in the gameplay clips from the Direct. So this leaves us with two possibilities:
1. For some reason, the players are ALWAYS choosing not to cancel reeling into airdodge even though they can, and then are impossibly-accurately and consistently cancelling the first frame of tumble into airdodge.
or, the more likely option:
2. Buffering is back, and momentum/hitstun cancelling is not.

It is very clear when someone is not buffering the airdodge, as you can see the tumble animation for more than one frame. This does happen quite a few times. The first frame of tumble looks radically different from reeling, so it's easy to pick out in slow speeds. They are being later than the transition, but never sooner. Another strike to back up my evidence.

As such, the smoke could serve as a visual cue for the second formula.

Even if both formulas are set to be the same, the smoke could still be redesigned to be a better visual cue of the first formula, as the reeling animation isn't such a great cue.
You haven't seen how the trail is spawned in Smash 4 as you haven't seen the Smash 4 code, you have no idea if they did do it the same way.

Unless you think they are spawned the same way, but that would still be a theory and that would lead to you claiming that the trail and the smoke are the same because they are spawned the same way then you are claiming they are spawned the same way because they are the same. You cannot do that to back up an argument, its a theory backed up by another theory.

For all we know the knockback trails could be done in a completely different way in code.
I'm sorry, but that is awful justification. I'm sorry you have a personal vendetta against educated conclusions, but that's not my problem, dude. Yes, it could be different. But it doesn't look like it is. And the players aren't playing like it is. And the frame counts aren't looking like it's any different. I don't need to see the code to see that the hitstun modifier percentage is the same as Brawl/Melee, I just need to slow the video down. Why would I need to see the code or have the controller in my hands to come to the conclusion that smoke isn't linked to it?

The smoke is a much clearer representation and allows you to measure how much time you have left in hit stun much more accurately than the reeling animation.
Can't you tell when your character is spinning and flailing their arms and when they aren't, dude? Really? It's been like that for three games, too... If it was unclear, we would have a lot more people complaining and we would have had a fix by now, probably.

I am not in denial, you cannot claim something as "fact" when it isn't. You can say it probably is true, it doesn't make it fact. It isn't a problem you have, its a problem society has and its the reason why human kind is so ignorant. Someone you respect claims something as a fact then you make assumptions about other things and call them facts to some other person who does the same to some other person and now that 4th person has no idea about anything and all of his "facts" are wrong.
The evidence is out on the table above. You have argued with me about what hitstun is. You have tried to explain programming to a programmer. You have tried to explain what hitstun is to me. You have said "Yeah, you have facts, but that doesn't prove anything! Stop drawing conclusions!" I'm starting to wonder why this conversation is even still a thing. This is ridiculous.
I'm sorry you have a problem with society... but you are on Smashboards arguing with me, not before the High Court. Chasing me down and arguing with me for 3 pages isn't going to change how the world is, it's going to piss me off lmao.
Literally what the ****.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
The evidence is out on the table above. You have argued with me about what hitstun is. You have tried to explain programming to a programmer. You have tried to explain what hitstun is to me.
I'm sorry you have a problem with society... but you are on Smashboards arguing with me, not before the High Court. Chasing me down and arguing with me for 3 pages isn't going to change how the world is, it's going to piss me off lmao.
Literally what the ****.
I can't truthfully address your post completely because you seem to miss everything I explain. You aren't a programmer as you claim to be, you don't seem to grasp the things I am trying to explain because you are trying to view them from too high level of programming. You are thinking of Unity/Unreal, when I am thinking of C++, Java, C. Basically you are thinking more of programming tools for designers (which is normally what modders use as you don't normally open up the actual code the game was written on) while I am thinking of actual code structure.

A state is not an action. A state is the behavior the player is currently having, although we might just be arguing semantics here, I am not being "too technical".

You want me to be technical? An animation is defined by a set of bones and joints from a model which are moved in model space to another position. You can use one of various techniques to blend the animation from one frame to the other by moving the joints using transformation matrices which contain position, rotation and scaling values correspondent to a specific axis and then adjusting the bones depending on the movement of the joints that specific bone is dependent on.

Nowhere on that explanation is there any type of coding for a character's behavior. I was trying to explain how behavior != visual. You can have a character move in idle stance, it doesn't make him idle. You can have a character loop his walking animation while remaining still, it doesn't make him walk. I thought you understood this and made a simple mistake of claiming the animation "held" the code, which is why I said "it was probably just a semantics mistake".

The animation has nothing to do with the behavior code, the behavior code calls an animation when you tell it to.

Now what you meant to say is that reeling is a behavioral state. Also in that state there is a certain timer which is calculated based on knockback and damage which tells the state when to stop. This timer is calculated equally in all Smash games.

All of that I agree with, but here's the thing:

In 64/Melee that state did not allow you to act, whether it be because it had code purposely stopping you from acting, or whether it be because it didn't have the code that allowed you to act, it doesn't matter. Fact is while in this state you could not act.

In Brawl though the state did not stop you from acting at all. There was a separate variable/function/state stopping you from acting for 13-25 frames which was independent of how much time the reeling state would last. This is completely obvious by the fact that reeling continues for a while if you don't "cancel hitstun".

There is no timer saying "you can't do anything". The reeling animation (subaction) simply does not have the code that says you CAN act out of it. However, fighter.pac's reeling "action" contains the code that would allow canceling.
If it didn't have the code to act, and there was in fact no timer which counted when you could act out then as soon as you got hit you would be frozen forever, don't you think?

Whether there's a timer to allow you to act again, or there's a timer that doesn't allow you to act, its the exact same concept.

It's...kind of like that. I'm starting to think I'm just failing to explain what's happening (or you're arguing for sake of my calling it hitstun which is really dumb).

When you hit someone, Brawl's engine calculates the number of frames of hitstun. The reeling animation is the visual representation for the frames of hitstun. If a player presses nothing, this "hitstun" formula tells the game to play the reeling animation and count down to 0. Then you go into tumble. The code that is linked to this reeling animation in fighter.pac that automatically plays forces that, once you're on a certain frame, you can airdodge/attack out of it. Note that those are the only things that you can do, there is no jumping or etc - these are specific interrupts. This is not a formula. The code looks something like this:
Asynchronous Timer=9
Allow Specific Interrupt - Airdodge
Asynchronous Timer=23
Allow Specific Interrupt - Aerials

This means that, no matter what, if you are in the reeling animation and you hit frame 10, you will airdodge.

When you hit someone in Melee/64, the engine calculates the number of frames of hitstun. The reeling animation is the visual representation for the frames of hitstun. This "hitstun" formula tells the game to play the reeling animation and count down to 0. Then you go into tumble.

Literally the only thing you're arguing is if the hitstun formula is called the hitstun formula. Which it is, according to Smash Lab & the like. This independent code that is in the reeling animation does not exist in other games and is not a formula

This isn't actual code or code structure. Again think of how it is actually programmed into the game, not what designer tools were made to look like.

Independently of HOW it was programmed I am not talking about that. I am talking about CONCEPT.

If it makes you understand my point better, I'll explain it with your own code.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lets assume asynchronus timers will stay exactly as they are for SSB4, but instead of being a set number, they will now be a completely new formula Sakurai made up (not the same one as reeling). Smoke will now be a visual representation of this ssynchronus timers. The code will look exactly the same but instead of AT = 23 it will be AT = X + Y - Z;

See..., now smoke is made to be a representation of the asynchronus timer (how long you have to wait before you can act out of the reeling animation).

This is what I have been telling you could be happening since the beginning, I tried not using the term hitstun and using "other formula" , which was the formula for the Asynchronus Timers (In Brawl's case its a set number), so you would understand better. Do you understand now?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't put it any more clearer than that.

There is a very simple way. I'm not sure how I can make gifs to show you, but watch gameplay clips closely.
Brawl has a system called buffering. This means that if you do an action before you are "able" to do it, the game will keep trying for a couple frames. If you, for example, do a down smash, and then during the last couple frames of endlag, you press A, that input will be "buffered". The first frame that you are able to jab, the game will automatically jab for you.

How is this relevant, you ask? Watch the gameplay clips from the Direct, and also watch the Mega Man vs. Mario video. When these characters suffer knockback, they go into reeling. Fine and dandy. Then they go into tumble.
Now watch closely, slow the video down during knockback. This was especially clear for me during a point in the MM vs. Mario video where MM hits Mario over to the left near the platform. I slowed this down to .25x speed and watched as Mario went into reeling, then into tumble for one frame, and then airdodge immediately. This behavior is mirrored many other times during the match, and also in the gameplay clips from the Direct. So this leaves us with two possibilities:
1. For some reason, the players are ALWAYS choosing not to cancel reeling into airdodge even though they can, and then are impossibly-accurately and consistently cancelling the first frame of tumble into airdodge.
or, the more likely option:
2. Buffering is back, and momentum/hitstun cancelling is not.

It is very clear when someone is not buffering the airdodge, as you can see the tumble animation for more than one frame. This does happen quite a few times. The first frame of tumble looks radically different from reeling, so it's easy to pick out in slow speeds. They are being later than the transition, but never sooner. Another strike to back up my evidence.
I did do that, but I cannot claim to be able to tell 1 frame difference, nor was I able to see them entering their tumble animation. It might just be that I wasn't paying enough attention or that I just can't tell. I was trying to tell if the smoke was dissapearing the very last frame before they air dodged. If you did go through the videos you would have noticed though that the smoke does dissapear right before they air dodge, at least in 4-5 different cases (didn't check the whole video) and that I can assure you because I actually looked at it. I cannot assure it was frame perfect as the game moves at 60 fps and slowing it to 0.25x means you are watching 15 frames per jump (from my understanding at least, I don't do video editing, I don't know how video editing works), but I was unable to see one single time the smoke ended way too early or way too late, it always seemed to be perfectly aligned with the air dodge. Maybe you should watch it again and check that out, see if you can actually disprove that theory as I tried to do.

Point is this is a good argument to back up a claim, unfortunately I cannot actually value its worth because I am horribly bad a video editing and I cannot believe in you because I already don't trust you because you've already claimed things that were false to be true. If you posted a video showing exactly when they go into tumble and airdodge right away I would believe you.

For now it stays as a possible theory, not a fact.

I'm sorry, but that is awful justification. I'm sorry you have a personal vendetta against educated conclusions, but that's not my problem, dude. Yes, it could be different. But it doesn't look like it is. And the players aren't playing like it is. And the frame counts aren't looking like it's any different. I don't need to see the code to see that the hitstun modifier percentage is the same as Brawl/Melee, I just need to slow the video down. Why would I need to see the code or have the controller in my hands to come to the conclusion that smoke isn't linked to it?
Yet from slowing the video down, it does look like its linked to it, which is how we came to the theory. You don't need to have a controller in your hand but you need some type of actual facts or evidence.

How is your conclusion educated? All you are saying is that it is that way because it was that way in Brawl. You literally have 0 evidence, NONE about whether its the same or not, all you have is: "Brawl did it this way". Aspects of the game can change, your point holds no merit at all.

You backed up your claim by saying that "IF" the trail spawned with the same properties as the smoke they would be equal, yet you didn't say IF, you said they do. When I asked you to explain how they spawn with the same properties you went back to saying it was because they were programmed the same. You do not know if they were. And you are just going in circles.

"Can't you tell when your character is spinning and flailing their arms and when they aren't, dude? Really? It's been like that for three games, too... If it was unclear, we would have a lot more people complaining and we would have had a fix by now, probably."
Not really because you never want to be in tumble, so from a gamer's perspective it doesn't really matter how much hitstun lasts as you'll cancel it as soon as you can. It's like hit trajectories, you don't really need smoke or trails as you can clearly see your character flying off screen, the character itself should be more than enough visualization for you to tell what direction you are flying. But guess what, making things easier and obvious is most of the times good design (as long as it doesn't dumb down the game).

It's also the direction the game itself is going as a whole. Did we need a visualization to see who got the kill? If you were paying attention you should have been able to tell who hit him. Do we need to know the hitboxes and animations of moves? After a while playing you will be used to them so there is no need for that, no one has complained until now!

Yet, all those things are being added to the game too. I am not discussing whether I think smoke trails = hitstun duration is a good idea or not (although I have made it very clear that I do), if you think it is a bad idea that is your own opinion. What I am discussing is that it is a possibility and it in fact is a possibility (just a possibility though, you might be right and the smoke just acts the exact same way). If you have a surefire way to prove to me that it isn't right now why don't you prove it instead of claiming you know better. (Which is what you are doing by providing 0 evidence)

And now, so that you can understand why I think it is a better way to show hitstun and what I mean by making the TIME clearer:

Ganon_Hitstun.png

Now, from that picture, can you tell me how many frames or milliseconds is left for Ganon's hitstun?

Would it not be easier to know this if you had a trails of smoke which each represented a set amount of frames/milliseconds and you could instantly tell by looking at the smoke?

You said: "Yeah, you have facts, but that doesn't prove anything! Stop drawing conclusions!" I'm starting to wonder why this conversation is even still a thing. This is ridiculous.
What? No I did not say that. I said you have no facts, you use facts that have nothing to do with something to make a point and I call you on it. You have not made a single argument which has an actual fact that isn't speculation. If you had an actual fact there would be no way for me to actually debate you since it would be a fact not an idea, don't you think?

Brawl is an example of a past game and you can deduce things will be done similar to Brawl, but saying "This is how it was done in Brawl and it will be done exactly the same in Smash 4" is completely wrong, it isn't even close to being right and you need to understand that. Things change and have already changed.

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I can't truthfully address your post completely because you seem to miss everything I explain. You aren't a programmer as you claim to be, you don't seem to grasp the things I am trying to explain because you are trying to view them from too high level of programming. You are thinking of Unity/Unreal, when I am thinking of C++, Java, C. Basically you are thinking more of programming tools for designers (which is normally what modders use as you don't normally open up the actual code the game was written on) while I am thinking of actual code structure.

A state is not an action. A state is the behavior the player is currently having, although we might just be arguing semantics here, I am not being "too technical".

You want me to be technical? An animation is defined by a set of bones and joints from a model which are moved in model space to another position. You can use one of various techniques to blend the animation from one frame to the other by moving the joints using transformation matrices which contain position, rotation and scaling values correspondent to a specific axis and then adjusting the bones depending on the movement of the joints that specific bone is dependent on.

Nowhere on that explanation is there any type of coding for a character's behavior. I was trying to explain how behavior != visual. You can have a character move in idle stance, it doesn't make him idle. You can have a character loop his walking animation while remaining still, it doesn't make him walk. I thought you understood this and made a simple mistake of claiming the animation "held" the code, which is why I said "it was probably just a semantics mistake".

The animation has nothing to do with the behavior code, the behavior code calls an animation when you tell it to.

Now what you meant to say is that reeling is a behavioral state. Also in that state there is a certain timer which is calculated based on knockback and damage which tells the state when to stop. This timer is calculated equally in all Smash games.

All of that I agree with, but here's the thing:

In 64/Melee that state did not allow you to act, whether it be because it had code purposely stopping you from acting, or whether it be because it didn't have the code that allowed you to act, it doesn't matter. Fact is while in this state you could not act.

In Brawl though the state did not stop you from acting at all. There was a separate variable/function/state stopping you from acting for 13-25 frames which was independent of how much time the reeling state would last. This is completely obvious by the fact that reeling continues for a while if you don't "cancel hitstun".
I literally can't even with you. This has LITERALLY nothing to do with the task on hand. I am explaining to you on how it is coded in Brawl. Strip away all this low level ****, this part is coded in high level code using Brawl's low level API. Don't feed me that "you aren't a programmer" bull****. Stop trying to derail from the fact that I gave you hard facts which you claim I didn't have by trying to explain to me what a state system is when Brawl doesn't use the state system for this. Anyone who's opened up fighter.pac and looked at it can tell you that. You said earlier that you did PSA hacks, and then you called it "my language" and now you're demonstrating that you don't understand what an asynchronous timer is or how Brawl's API language works. You are literally dancing around what I've been saying by coming up with random stuff to cover it up and hitting the enter key a million times. Stop playing lmao. Actions and subactions are PSA 101.

This isn't actual code or code structure. Again think of how it is actually programmed into the game, not what designer tools were made to look like.

Independently of HOW it was programmed I am not talking about that. I am talking about CONCEPT.

If it makes you understand my point better, I'll explain it with your own code.

Lets assume asynchronus timers will stay exactly as they are for SSB4, but instead of being a set number, they will now be a completely new formula Sakurai made up (not the same one as reeling). Smoke will now be a visual representation of this ssynchronus timers. The code will look exactly the same but instead of AT = 23 it will be AT = X + Y - Z;

See..., now smoke is made to be a representation of the asynchronus timer (how long you have to wait before you can act out of the reeling animation).

This is what I have been telling you could be happening since the beginning, I tried not using the term hitstun and using "other formula" , which was the formula for the Asynchronus Timers (In Brawl's case its a set number), so you would understand better. Do you understand now?

I can't put it any more clearer than that.
lmao im crying... Asynchronous timers are used in every character, stage, fighter.pac and any other file that uses Brawl's API dude, they're not going to add some weird formula to it for no reason. Assuming they did do it the way you're referring to it would be like 8 lines long and probably have to be moved into the game's ASM code because Brawl's API doesn't allow for that kind of information to be passed through variables.
That aside, I've already said that it's very possible that it could have changed. But, you can look at gameplay footage and see otherwise right now. The smoke doesn't always carry until the end of the reeling animation. Soooo... there goes that theory. Unless you're going to argue that "oh, the reeling animation could have a different calculation". Ok. I can argue a million different things with that mindset, and they all sound equally as dumb.
"Oh, that could be a new upward attack that uses the X button, not up smash like it was in Brawl!"
"Oh, that's not an assist trophy, we didn't see it come out of the assist trophy. Maybe this non-Pokemon could come out of Pokeballs!"
"Psuedo-Palutena could be a playable trophy. Trophies weren't playable before, but Sakurai never said that they aren't playable in this one!"

This is basically why I'm over arguing with you. That's what you sound like to me. With a sprinkle of "Society is ****ed up and so I'm going to argue with you".
>_>

I did do that, but I cannot claim to be able to tell 1 frame difference, nor was I able to see them entering their tumble animation. It might just be that I wasn't paying enough attention or that I just can't tell. I was trying to tell if the smoke was dissapearing the very last frame before they air dodged. If you did go through the videos you would have noticed though that the smoke does dissapear right before they air dodge, at least in 4-5 different cases (didn't check the whole video) and that I can assure you because I actually looked at it. I cannot assure it was frame perfect as the game moves at 60 fps and slowing it to 0.25x means you are watching 15 frames per jump (from my understanding at least, I don't do video editing, I don't know how video editing works), but I was unable to see one single time the smoke ended way too early or way too late, it always seemed to be perfectly aligned with the air dodge. Maybe you should watch it again and check that out, see if you can actually disprove that theory as I tried to do.
They are not going to make all of the trail suddenly vanish on a certain frame, that would look weird and be bad design. If they are actively spawning smoke on the frame(s) before they airdodge then it's safe to bet that this is not a visual indicator of anything, seeing as how the smoke would not have vanished by then.

Point is this is a good argument to back up a claim, unfortunately I cannot actually value its worth because I am horribly bad a video editing and I cannot believe in you because I already don't trust you because you've already claimed things that were false to be true.
LMAO

Yet from slowing the video down, it does look like its linked to it, which is how we came to the theory. You don't need to have a controller in your hand but you need some type of actual facts or evidence.

How is your conclusion educated? All you are saying is that it is that way because it was that way in Brawl. You literally have 0 evidence, NONE about whether its the same or not, all you have is: "Brawl did it this way". Aspects of the game can change, your point holds no merit at all.
Hitstun isn't even in the game, you have no evidence!

If you have a surefire way to prove to me that it isn't right now why don't you prove it instead of claiming you know better. (Which is what you are doing by providing 0 evidence)
You're sitting here acting like I'm a ****tard for TWO PAGES with NOVELS why don't you prove ME wrong?

And now, so that you can understand why I think it is a better way to show hitstun and what I mean by making the TIME clearer:

View attachment 12637

Now, from that picture, can you tell me how many frames or milliseconds is left for Ganon's hitstun?

Would it not be easier to know this if you had a trails of smoke which each represented a set amount of frames/milliseconds and you could instantly tell by looking at the smoke?
That's a picture. Not just a picture, but a picture at a weird angle.
*Zooms in all the way into ZSS's hair*
"Can you tell me which character this is? Would it not be easier if the HUD was on screenshots?"

What? No I did not say that. I said you have no facts, you use facts that have nothing to do with something to make a point and I call you on it. You have not made a single argument which has an actual fact that isn't speculation. If you had an actual fact there would be no way for me to actually debate you since it would be a fact not an idea, don't you think?
Yeah, I would think. However, the past 2 pages is a testament to that. Even after giving you solid proof that you requested for momentum cancelling, which you asked for, you are still replying to me with this sadistic bull****, and you pull "You're not credible" out of nowhere. Ok. Go slow the video down on YouTube and look for yourself.

Brawl is an example of a past game and you can deduce things will be done similar to Brawl, but saying "This is how it was done in Brawl and it will be done exactly the same in Smash 4" is completely wrong, it isn't even close to being right and you need to understand that. Things change and have already changed.
Ok. This isn't a Smash Bros game anymore, let's assume it's Marvel. Let's start applying Marvel math to Smash Bros. until proven wrong.

I'm done lmao I can't even motivate myself to take your posts seriously anymore this is completely nuts. My proof for no momentum cancelling is in my last post, I'll leave you to read that. If anyone that's not Raykz has any questions or concerns, please let me know. Sorry, lmao.

Last edited:

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I think this thread should be locked or something. It's derailed quite badly and is now nothing but flaming and name-calling.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Or we could just get back on topic now that it's over.

Let's talk about how awesome that lightning effect on heavy hits is.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I personally find several noticeable changes go hand in hand.

Mainly Final Destination stages and projectile negation/reflection.

One of the major complaints about Final Destination only in For glory was that characters with a strong projectile game were advantageous. As such they also wanted Battle field stages. But by giving characters better options vs projectiles, that arguments becomes pointless. One stage means they can focus on character balance easier. It also is better for the budget; they're already spending money adjusting characters, so why spend even more money making battle field versions of every stage in addition to the Final Destination ones when you can make one stage type FD and adjust characters to play better on that stage?

It makes perfect sense, imo. Now the issue isnt about people wanting a fair/balanced fight, but now mostly comes down to a personal preference for platforms...
And to be honest, as long as characters are balanced well I could give two @#%^ about people preference for platforms. Heck, I prefered platforms, but it was because the character I played had poor options; as long as all the characters have viable options in most/all scenarios then why would the absence of platforms matter?

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I literally can't even with you. This has LITERALLY nothing to do with the task on hand. I am explaining to you on how it is coded in Brawl. Strip away all this low level ****, this part is coded in high level code using Brawl's low level API. Don't feed me that "you aren't a programmer" bull****. Stop trying to derail from the fact that I gave you hard facts which you claim I didn't have by trying to explain to me what a state system is when Brawl doesn't use the state system for this. Anyone who's opened up fighter.pac and looked at it can tell you that. You said earlier that you did PSA hacks, and then you called it "my language" and now you're demonstrating that you don't understand what an asynchronous timer is or how Brawl's API language works. You are literally dancing around what I've been saying by coming up with random stuff to cover it up and hitting the enter key a million times. Stop playing lmao. Actions and subactions are PSA 101.

I didn't claim I've done PSA hacks, I don't even know what you are talking about. I said I have MADE actual games. What you are using is a "for dummies" tool which is backed up by actual code which is what you should be talking about, Those tools don't just come to life by themselves. They are coded. I am talking about the actual code which goes on in the game, which I have told you many many times.

I have modded other games though, and have used tools, not on Nintendo, on PC. I know whats its like.

lmao im crying... Asynchronous timers are used in every character, stage, fighter.pac and any other file that uses Brawl's API dude, they're not going to add some weird formula to it for no reason. Assuming they did do it the way you're referring to it would be like 8 lines long and probably have to be moved into the game's ASM code because Brawl's API doesn't allow for that kind of information to be passed through variables.
The actual code for Brawl does. If it didn't there would be no game and no engine. Your modding tools might be limited and not allow you to, there's a difference. I only used that example so that you would understand what I was saying since you seem to be unable to understand what programming is.

Is it really that hard to understand that the formula for when you can air dodge is different than the formula that is used to calculate how long you should tumble? How many other ways do I have to say that? If you can air dodge before your tumble animation ends then OBVIOUSLY they aren't using the same timer/formula. I've tried 4 different times and yet you still don't grasp that concept. I am not even talking about different games, I am talking about a timer to air dodge and a timer to loop the tumble animation. They happen at different times, different timer? Capiche?

That aside, I've already said that it's very possible that it could have changed. But, you can look at gameplay footage and see otherwise right now. The smoke doesn't always carry until the end of the reeling animation. Soooo... there goes that theory. Unless you're going to argue that "oh, the reeling animation could have a different calculation". Ok. I can argue a million different things with that mindset, and they all sound equally as dumb.
"Oh, that could be a new upward attack that uses the X button, not up smash like it was in Brawl!"
"Oh, that's not an assist trophy, we didn't see it come out of the assist trophy. Maybe this non-Pokemon could come out of Pokeballs!"
"Psuedo-Palutena could be a playable trophy. Trophies weren't playable before, but Sakurai never said that they aren't playable in this one!"
I won't address how stupid this part sounds.

I literally asked you, many, many times to just post a proof that the theory is wrong. After about 10 posts and about 4 times I've asked this is the first time you claim that in the gameplay footage you can see otherwise. I checked myself for about 15-20 minutes of the direct and was unable to tell whether players could air dodge while smoke was out, it always seemed like smoke finished right at the same time. Can you link me to a specific part of the direct where you saw it "proved otherwise"? You already claimed it does, so you should be able to.

They are not going to make all of the trail suddenly vanish on a certain frame, that would look weird and be bad design. If they are actively spawning smoke on the frame(s) before they airdodge then it's safe to bet that this is not a visual indicator of anything, seeing as how the smoke would not have vanished by then.
Completely true, yet I did not see such behavior when I watch about half of the 40 minute direct? Can you point me to 1 occassion that happens?

Hitstun isn't even in the game, you have no evidence!
Technically I don't. There is no evidence it is or it isn't. So for now we (I) assume it is in. But you don't see me going around telling everyone hitstun is in the game 100% certain and I that I know what I am talking about and I am sure it is in! (See the difference?)

You're sitting here acting like I'm a ****tard for TWO PAGES with NOVELS why don't you prove ME wrong?
I did, its why this whole argument started. I proved one of your points invalid.

The point we are currently discussing is about possibility. I say something is possible, you say it isn't possible.

I have proved to you that A-) The change would actually make the game better, B-) Sakurai has done many changes of the same nature in this game, C-) There is a clear pattern with the topic at hand which helps create doubt/possibility (my very first post after that theory).

I have also shot down everyone of your arguments because all of them are "It was done that way in Brawl!" and I have tried to shown you how in fact, NO, it wasn't done that way in Brawl. Because you can air dodge before tumble animation ends so technically if you used tumble animation as a visualizer for when you can air dodge/attack out of the tumble animation then you would be wrong as you could have air dodged or attacked a long time before the tumble animation ended. Yet this concept is incredibly difficult for you to grasp.

All you have done is claim that Brawl did it that way.

In this post for the first time you claimed gameplay footage from Smash 4 actually disproves the theory, so now I just ask of you to link it and prove me wrong. I won't fight, I always believed it was a theory, I never claimed it was fact.

That's a picture. Not just a picture, but a picture at a weird angle.
*Zooms in all the way into ZSS's hair*
"Can you tell me which character this is? Would it not be easier if the HUD was on screenshots?"
Yet if there was a smoke trail which indicated how much time was left per smoke bubble or particle, or in some other way there could be ways for you to tell from a picture like this. Or am I wrong? (I am not claiming that is the way it is in Smash 4, I am just proving to you that using the smoke as a timer could be a much better way to tell). I'll post another picture for you to tell me.

Yeah, I would think. However, the past 2 pages is a testament to that. Even after giving you solid proof that you requested for momentum cancelling, which you asked for, you are still replying to me with this sadistic bull****, and you pull "You're not credible" out of nowhere. Ok. Go slow the video down on YouTube and look for yourself.
I told you, I agree with you that that is good evidence, but I myself can't prove it, the fault is on my part on this one, not on you. I don't know why you are fighting me. Whether you can or cannot cancel hitstun has nothing to do with the smoke theory though, although that is one point in your list you can claim to be true if that video story is true.

Ok. This isn't a Smash Bros game anymore, let's assume it's Marvel. Let's start applying Marvel math to Smash Bros. until proven wrong.

I'm done lmao I can't even motivate myself to take your posts seriously anymore this is completely nuts. My proof for no momentum cancelling is in my last post, I'll leave you to read that. If anyone that's not Raykz has any questions or concerns, please let me know. Sorry, lmao.
I can also exaggerate like you. If things are so black and white, then why is there even a talk about mechanics. If mechanics are just going to be EXACTLY the same as Smash 4 then why not just introduce the characters and that's it. Nothing at all is going to change obviously. Its so obvious it isn't going to change that you can claim with no proof that things haven't changed.

See I can also do that.

Oh but wait... bumping from ledge, momentum retaining, attack trails, attack effects, glowing when someone is killed, lightning on "death hits". Huh, things do change, huh?

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I personally find several noticeable changes go hand in hand.

Mainly Final Destination stages and projectile negation/reflection.

One of the major complaints about Final Destination only in For glory was that characters with a strong projectile game were advantageous. As such they also wanted Battle field stages. But by giving characters better options vs projectiles, that arguments becomes pointless. One stage means they can focus on character balance easier. It also is better for the budget; they're already spending money adjusting characters, so why spend even more money making battle field versions of every stage in addition to the Final Destination ones when you can make one stage type FD and adjust characters to play better on that stage?

It makes perfect sense, imo. Now the issue isnt about people wanting a fair/balanced fight, but now mostly comes down to a personal preference for platforms...
And to be honest, as long as characters are balanced well I could give two @#%^ about people preference for platforms. Heck, I prefered platforms, but it was because the character I played had poor options; as long as all the characters have viable options in most/all scenarios then why would the absence of platforms matter?
Wait, but was the reference for the reflection just Samus's homing missiles? That functionality already existed in Brawl when you hit them. Are there clips of it applying to other projectiles?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Would you please post the video where the player air dodges and there is still smoke coming out? I want to know the theory is incorrect so I can move on from that theory.
Just like Brawl, the smoke stops about 4 or 5 frames before the reeling animation ends and the player goes into tumble. When the smoke stops coming out, that is your warning that hitstun/reeling is about to end and you are going to be able to act. Watch ~1:07 in .25x speed for the clearest view. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U5wJAbq-3s

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Just like Brawl, the smoke stops about 4 or 5 frames before the reeling animation ends and the player goes into tumble. When the smoke stops coming out, that is your warning that hitstun/reeling is about to end and you are going to be able to act. Watch ~1:07 in .25x speed for the clearest view. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U5wJAbq-3s
Which character are you referring to?

No one is knockbacked with smoke at 1:07 that I can tell, Diddy is hit but there is no knockback and then Marth is hit without knockback or smoke again. I might be missing it, I don't have a good eye for this kind of things.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Which character are you referring to?

No one is knockbacked with smoke at 1:07 that I can tell, Diddy is hit but there is no knockback and then Marth is hit without knockback or smoke again. I might be missing it, I don't have a good eye for this kind of things.
Sorry, 1:10.

& as you can see soon after with the much weaker raygun shot, it's always 4 or 5 frames before you go into tumble. It's not a set number of frames after the beginning, like Brawl, it's the hitstun frames minus a couple. These last few frames are sort of like a transition, with no smoke. You can see Mario throw his head back, as in Brawl, before he goes into tumble.

So like, 1000 mph of KB = 400 frames of hitstun, and like 396 or 395 frames of smoke spawning at a set interval.

EDIT: Originally I'd said that in Brawl, the smoke happens a set number of frames and that was incorrect, I checked and it functions the same as in that video.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Sorry, 1:10.

& as you can see soon after with the much weaker raygun shot, it's always 4 or 5 frames before you go into tumble. It's not a set number of frames after the beginning, like Brawl, it's the hitstun frames minus a couple. These last few frames are sort of like a transition, with no smoke. You can see Mario throw his head back, as in Brawl, before he goes into tumble.

So like, 1000 mph of KB = 400 frames of hitstun, and like 396 or 395 frames of smoke spawning at a set interval.

EDIT: Originally I'd said that in Brawl, the smoke happens a set number of frames and that was incorrect, I checked and it functions the same as in that video.

I see Mario air dodging after the smoke has ended in both times. The first one (when Sonic kicks him) looks like a buffered dodge as you say and he dodges it exactly after the smoke ends. The second one looks like Mario waited as his animation had already changed from tumble too, so he didn't dodge right away.

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I see Mario air dodging after the smoke has ended in both times. The first one (when Sonic kicks him) looks like a buffered dodge as you say and he dodges it exactly after the smoke ends. The second one looks like Mario waited as his animation had already changed too.
See how the smoke stops being spawned for a couple frames right before hitstun ends? That's your visual cue, and it's just giving you a rough idea. You can see again at the Mario clip at 2:00, there is a noticeable delay that keeps going for longer than it takes for the smoke to vanish completely, before you can act.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
See how the smoke stops being spawned for a couple frames right before hitstun ends? That's your visual cue, and it's just giving you a rough idea. You can see again at the Mario clip at 2:00, there is a noticeable delay that keeps going for longer than it takes for the smoke to vanish completely, before you can act.
The player himself could be waiting before acting. I thought you had a part of the video where smoke kept going after the player had dodged. Dodging after the smoke has run out doesn't really prove you can't act before.

Maybe its like Brawl where you can't act for an X amount of time but Reeling lasts a Y amount of time (longer than X). and Smoke just shows X and not Y.

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
The player himself could be waiting before acting. I thought you had a part of the video where smoke kept going after it the player had dodged. Dodging after the smoke has run out doesn't really prove you can't act before.

Maybe its like Brawl where you can't act for an X amount of time but Reeling lasts a Y amount of time (longer than X). and Smoke just shows X and not Y.
Reeling is hitstun, I was referring to that. But ok, I'll still play ball:

Lucario wiggles out of hitstun and goes into fall before the smoke even vanishes completely at 2:10. The disappearance of the smoke has nothing to do with the hitstun. The frames that it stops spawning more smoke at that gives you fair warning that you will be able to take action in a couple frames, coupled with, for horizontal knockback, the character throwing their head back.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Reeling is hitstun, I was referring to that. But ok, I'll still play ball:

Lucario wiggles out of hitstun and goes into fall before the smoke even vanishes completely at 2:10. The disappearance of the smoke has nothing to do with the hitstun. The frames that it stops spawning more smoke at that gives you fair warning that you will be able to take action in a couple frames, coupled with, for horizontal knockback, the character throwing their head back.
Actually Lucario wiggles in the exact same frame the smoke vanishes. Look at it again.

I am not referring to what you call hitstun which seems to refer to how long the tumble state lasts, I am referring to how long you cannot act after you are hit. Let me be clear I am specifically referring to how long it takes the player to be able to act. Lets call that stun time instead of hitstun for future reference between you and me.

Again, I see Lucario wiggling out on the exact same frame the smoke is already vanished. Would you please take another look? Maybe take a screenshot of the exact frame? I am not good at video editing so I might be wrong.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Actually Lucario wiggles in the exact same frame the smoke vanishes. Look at it again.

I am not referring to what you call hitstun which seems to refer to how long the tumble state lasts, I am referring to how long you cannot act after you are hit. Let me be clear I am specifically referring to how long it takes the player to be able to act. Lets call that stun time instead of hitstun for future reference between you and me.

Again, I see Lucario wiggling out on the exact same frame the smoke is already vanished. Would you please take another look? Maybe take a screenshot of the exact frame? I am not good at video editing so I might be wrong.
Those are identical in SSB4. Not gonna argue, but we have more than enough proof.

Here's your screenshot
lucario.png

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
New mechanic (I guess) guys. Its very hard to see at about 4:40 in the Direct you can barely see it but Mario jumps one way and turns around in mid-air without doing anything.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Wait, but was the reference for the reflection just Samus's homing missiles? That functionality already existed in Brawl when you hit them. Are there clips of it applying to other projectiles?
No, I meant how more moves look like they reflect projectiles, which is generally way better than attacks canceling them.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
New mechanic (I guess) guys. Its very hard to see at about 4:40 in the Direct you can barely see it but Mario jumps one way and turns around in mid-air without doing anything.
I'm pretty sure that it's the startup animation for his cape.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Maybe that's what the extra shoulder button will do? That way you can easily do any aerial in any direction, even if you mess up a RAR.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
Sadly, it seems Magnetic Ledges make a return. Hopefully the range at which it occurs is smaller than Brawl.

Last edited:

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
Sadly, it seems Magnetic Ledges make a return. Hopefully the range at which it occurs is smaller than Brawl.

Isn't her torso just perfect positioned right next to the ledge when her recovery move ends and she enters falling state? To me it looks like it but I might see it wrong. Is it possible to get that gif on gyfcat so I can watch it in slow motion?

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Ledges don't seem to be as magnetic (if at all) as they were in Brawl. I could be wrong, but in Mac's trailer, when he tries to recover with WFT near the ledge, it appeared to me that he would've grabbed the ledge if it was still like Brawl.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Isn't her torso just perfect positioned right next to the ledge when her recovery move ends and she enters falling state? To me it looks like it but I might see it wrong. Is it possible to get that gif on gyfcat so I can watch it in slow motion?
To me it looks like she's grabbing before the endlag, which is more Brawl-styled.

Top Bottom