• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Play and Technical Analysis

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Hard to tell. I see the moment you are referring to, but I cannot tell if he does some other move to trigger it. Haven't we already confirmed that directional air dodging is still gone?

ggdeku

Smash Rookie
I've seen Megaman do that land in other trailers as well. Some characters might have a natural slide when they hit the ground.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Certainly not a waveland, but at least we know swimming seems to be removed.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I don't know if we knew anything about footstooling yet or not, but this was on Charizard's character page:

It's now blatantly obvious that footstooling is back. Personally, I never minded it, but I see why some people hated it.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Personally one of my favorite additions in Brawl. It can honest take skill to use, and it makes sense so I'm for it.

Jalio_the_Brave

Smash Cadet
From the looks of it, it seems combos are now more feasible tham in brawl. Maybe not Melee level, but certainly some level of stringing together moves will be possible.

What do you guys think?

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
The more I look at that picture. The more awkward it appears.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
What about that thing Sheik did near the end of the trailer when the were doing the character montage? It looked almost like an animated platform cancel.
That was the landing animation of her new flying fish attack

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
brawl and melee had the same hitstun there was just effectively code in brawl that made hitstun cancellable and it looks like that's gone in ssb4 so now the only differences are caused by the lighter fallspeed

really the only thing that needs to be inspected now is landlag and then we will know for sure if this game will have h0t combos or not

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
that is a land facing one direction and then turning around. you can do that in brawl right now if you really want to.

Khao

Smash Lord
brawl and melee had the same hitstun there was just effectively code in brawl that made hitstun cancellable and it looks like that's gone in ssb4 so now the only differences are caused by the lighter fallspeed
I never really understood this.

If it you can cancel it, I don't think it can be called hitstun at all.

Anyway, have we see characters do airdodges out of tumbling and stuff? 'Cause that changes everything.

Last edited:

Jalio_the_Brave

Smash Cadet

really the only thing that needs to be inspected now is landlag and then we will know for sure if this game will have h0t combos or not
How are we sure hitstun can't be canceled by air dodges?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I really wish we would've gotten some raw footage, 'cause so far it's unclear if people can or can't cancel still. All the footage is too planned.

Manty

Smash Rookie

Someone else spotted Mario hit stun cancelling during the bit that showed Rosalina's moves.
http://youtu.be/7xUWnQu2Grs?t=24m19s

Not sure what to think since it's the only time I've ever seen it happen in any footage, but it'll be disappointing if it ends up in the finished game.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Oh hey whenever you score a KO an aura flashes around your character.
Has this already been confirmed?
Megaman glows red after Samus is knocked out from his attack.

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I never really understood this.

If it you can cancel it, I don't think it can be called hitstun at all.

Anyway, have we see characters do airdodges out of tumbling and stuff? 'Cause that changes everything.
Hitstun is also what determines when you go from the reeling KB animation into the spinning tumble.

Someone else spotted Mario hit stun cancelling during the bit that showed Rosalina's moves.

Not sure what to think since it's the only time I've ever seen it happen in any footage, but it'll be disappointing if it ends up in the finished game.
He's airdodging out of tumble, which is fine and dandy (you couldn't do that in Melee, but it's not the end of the world, really), the important thing is that it looks like the hitstun is ending first, which is good.

I think the thing we all need to confirm is DI.
They would need to SERIOUSLY increase DI for it to have a big enough impact to ruin the combo game. I really don't think they could mess it up that bad. Decreasing DI wouldn't be too bad either.

Last edited:

Jalio_the_Brave

Smash Cadet

Can't really tell if Mario is airdodging in the middle of a tumbling animation or during the initial KB.. anyone have any thoughts or a gif to analyze?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
nope that's a ledge cancel the effect stopped and she goes into fall

Last edited:

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Can't really tell if Mario is airdodging in the middle of a tumbling animation or during the initial KB.. anyone have any thoughts or a gif to analyze?
just watch it in .25x speed on youtube he goes into the first frame of his tumble animation (there's a big rotational change before he airdodges)

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
yeah that happens consistently in the direct, pretty cool stuff, i'm surprised they didn't say anything about it

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I'd be the flame starter and say remove DI completely and watch as you get styled on as punishment for getting hit.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
So is airdodging out of tumbling animations something you could also do in melee?
you could not airdodge out of tumble in melee, you had to wiggle out of tumble first with the control stick. in brawl you can airdodge during hitstun and in tumble, and it looks like in ssb4 you can airdodge out of tumble but not hitstun.

Jalio_the_Brave

Smash Cadet
I hope that all characters have some form of combos. We see a lot of combos from Little Mac, Sonic, and to some extent Rosalina, but not so much from the other cast.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
All the combos shown and performed in the video aren't really reliable as of now. For all we know, they might have staged everything together, with intentionally bad DI, etc. We really need to see some legit matches between some of the playtesters to have a clearer idea about comboing in this game.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I noticed that too. First Melee technique to make a return in Smash 4?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The MM vs. Mario video from E3 had some short true combos in it as well
That match was more then likely rigged.

Anywho OP.

You can't judge the combo potential from videos advertising the game. As those are probably all planned and stuff. As long as hitstun cancel is out, though, combos will easily be a force again.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I love just how combos seem to look. For example, Zamus' Up B and LM's Up B are both combos with a slight pause after the final hit, implying it packed a punch. Also Sonic's KO combo had the same type of thing.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
That match was more then likely rigged.
It would make no sense to give someone the instruction to DI as horribly as possible, and it would also be extremely visible if they were not taking the opportunity to airdodge when possible out of tumble, or were purposely DI-ing everything horribly. That was a real match with real combos.

Last edited:
Top Bottom