• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Game Play Advice and General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastel Princess

Smash Rookie
((Hey guys, new to the fourm so sorry if I do somthing wrong or messed up. I alright posted a greeting thread.))

I am new to improving and playing more technical. I can pretty much do well against the cpu and sometimes online but I really need to improve. One question though.
I have an irrational fear or habit of not chasing an enemy off the map, I tend to stay at the ledge which leads me very vunerable to being attacked cause I get scared, I dunno. Going off the map has always been a problem for me. I am always afraid. I see people chase others off the map and it scares me to me cause i typically plumet to the ground.
If my characters matter I usually play Peach,Samus, Villager, and Duck Hunt.

Thanks for any advice. Feel free to add and chat me!

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I'd say just mess around on training mode and trying to do edgeguards against the CPU, if you are playing Peach, Duck Hunt and Villager, you really have no need to be scared to run off the ledge.
You probably know they all have many options to get back to the stage. I don't know much about Samus. Transitioning to moving offstage in a real match is something you have to focus on doing gradually, I used to not like going offstage either. It's all about knowing your characters' limits offstage, and ways to stall in the air. Save your midair jump if possible and think carefully about your next moves. It's very rewarding to go offstage and put the pressure on so it is something you need to get comfortable with doing.

Pastel Princess

Smash Rookie
I'd say just mess around on training mode and trying to do edgeguards against the CPU, if you are playing Peach, Duck Hunt and Villager, you really have no need to be scared to run off the ledge.
You probably know they all have many options to get back to the stage. I don't know much about Samus. Transitioning to moving offstage in a real match is something you have to focus on doing gradually, I used to not like going offstage either. It's all about knowing your characters' limits offstage, and ways to stall in the air. Save your midair jump if possible and think carefully about your next moves. It's very rewarding to go offstage and put the pressure on so it is something you need to get comfortable with doing.
I see. Thanks.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Welcome to SmashBoards!

Off stage play can be very intimidating! However, it becomes a staple in winning matches. It is a must learn for anyone wanting to play above the casual level.

Your characters have great recoveries. If you can find someone willing to train, that will be best. I would be willing, but my schedule is horrible. PM me if you want to try anyways.

The best way to begin training is to not focus on losing your stock. This is what creates the fear of going out. Plan on sacrificing your stock for theirs. It doesn't matter if it costs you the game. Your goal right now isn't winning, its learning off stage play.

Once you've successfully, or unsuccessfully, attempted to kill them off stage, then attempt to recover.

The key to getting over the fear is by recognizing what the fear is. In this case it is losing a stock for just attempting to kill them off stage. To remove the fear, do not focus on whether or not you will die.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
BTW guys... I have serious trouble power shielding, and it's costing me dearly when I fight zoning characters.... Several times I'll get frustrated mid match and eat a ton of % through sloppy play...
Any suggestions for how to improve my power shielding?
Have patience. As a Marth main, I have learned certain visual cues that tell me when I should do certain things. I rely a lot on these visual cues to nail tippers as well as do certain actions to pressure or counter attack my opponent. These visual cues will help you improve your power shielding game.

D

Deleted member 269706

It's really more for show than anything else. Combine it with a perfect pivot and you may be able to get something good out of it.

Grass

Smash Lord
The best way to begin training is to not focus on losing your stock. This is what creates the fear of going out. Plan on sacrificing your stock for theirs. It doesn't matter if it costs you the game. Your goal right now isn't winning, its learning off stage play.
eh, this is semi bad advice. I don't think they're at the level of understanding stock trading yet. Stock trading is a concept, for those who don't know, that basically says what Zon said. You trade your stock for theirs.

The best way, and I still stick to this, to train one's off stage game is to practice it in melee. Having spent 100+ hours going off stage in Melee, my ability to handle certain situations off stage has improved by leaps and bounds. The way I do it, is that I have to remember that as long as I have an up B and maybe a jump I can make it back to the edge. I see the edge as part of the stage not just as a way to get back. The ledge is the stage, it's where I can play mind games and have access to +1 jump. That is the mind set everyone who wants to practice off stage games needs to have.

Zerker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexZerker
Let's talk opponent selection for learning.
What should the relative skill difference be between me and my opponent in order to maximize growth?
Should they be slightly better than me?
A good chunk better but not impossible for me to win some?
Way out of my league?
FG skrubs?

allshort17

Smash Ace
What should the relative skill difference be between me and my opponent in order to maximize growth?
Way out of my league?
FG skrubs?
General rule, bad enough so that you at least somewhat understand why you lost, but good enough so they understand why they lost.

But you can learn from anyone. I like playing people way past my skill level sometimes because I know I'm going to lose, so there's no pressure to win. With no pressure, I feel free to try new and risky strategies that I otherwise wouldn't. On the other hand, I feel no pressure to win against a horrible player because I know I'll win when it counts. Because they probably don't adapt and do the same things repeatedly, I'm free to experiment with different responses to the same situations. Also, newer players keep me up to date with the abusable tactics while also allowing me to practice fighting basic strategies (level 1 yomi). It's like a warm-up and fundamentals refresher. You can learn from anyone,you just need to know what to learn at the time.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
Does double stick DI exist in Smash Wii U?

I recently got a Wii U, and I'm trying to figure out if it is fine just continuing to use a 3ds XL as my main controller, or if I should switch to a better one.

Grass

Smash Lord
Way out of my league?
FG skrubs?
They should be like like at least tournament level. j/s

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Does double stick DI exist in Smash Wii U?

I recently got a Wii U, and I'm trying to figure out if it is fine just continuing to use a 3ds XL as my main controller, or if I should switch to a better one.
There is no dual stick DI in Smash for Wii U. Touching the C stick when you're attempting to survival DI will get you killed more often than not.

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Can someone please help?

I had a bad match a couple days ago and felt kinda upset about it, but I got over it and decided to not play the rest of the day.

The next day I played I was doing ok, but started to just do the stupidest things, and I just gave up pretty much which is not something I do. At that point I thought I was in a slump, but I mean I don't know that. But as soon as I say I'm in a slump I believe and whether I have a slump or not I play like I have one.

I have a terrible mindset after that where I basically go into a match saying "Oh I'll probably lose because Im in a slump". When I may not even be in one. I couldn't go into a match and have my basic mind plan which is like, playing my pressure game, downloading my opponent and seeing what they do, stuff like that. I would just go in a match braindead almost.

**My question is how do I avoid getting into a really bad mindset? Right now I am just taking a break for a day or 2, not sure what else to do. But I really want to avoid ever getting in this terrible mindset ever again, it has happened before, except even worse.

(Also Should I avoid playing melee or does it not matter, I don't take it as serious)

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
Can someone please help?

I had a bad match a couple days ago and felt kinda upset about it, but I got over it and decided to not play the rest of the day.

The next day I played I was doing ok, but started to just do the stupidest things, and I just gave up pretty much which is not something I do. At that point I thought I was in a slump, but I mean I don't know that. But as soon as I say I'm in a slump I believe and whether I have a slump or not I play like I have one.

I have a terrible mindset after that where I basically go into a match saying "Oh I'll probably lose because Im in a slump". When I may not even be in one. I couldn't go into a match and have my basic mind plan which is like, playing my pressure game, downloading my opponent and seeing what they do, stuff like that. I would just go in a match braindead almost.

**My question is how do I avoid getting into a really bad mindset? Right now I am just taking a break for a day or 2, not sure what else to do. But I really want to avoid ever getting in this terrible mindset ever again, it has happened before, except even worse.

(Also Should I avoid playing melee or does it not matter, I don't take it as serious)
Taking a break should help the issue. You should also realizing losing just happens and everyone has bad days, so don't feel bad. Just realize it's a game and move on.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
So i have been thinking about changing how i jump and what i mean is by ether continue to use up on the stick or use ether X or Y to jump. Do this bring any advantages to use X or Y? I been considering this for some time now and i would like to hear from you guys if i should change. Also what would be the best way to mix up my attacks? I learning to not be predictable and i think i am doing ok i guess...

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
((Hey guys, new to the fourm so sorry if I do somthing wrong or messed up. I alright posted a greeting thread.))

I am new to improving and playing more technical. I can pretty much do well against the cpu and sometimes online but I really need to improve. One question though.
I have an irrational fear or habit of not chasing an enemy off the map, I tend to stay at the ledge which leads me very vunerable to being attacked cause I get scared, I dunno. Going off the map has always been a problem for me. I am always afraid. I see people chase others off the map and it scares me to me cause i typically plumet to the ground.
If my characters matter I usually play Peach,Samus, Villager, and Duck Hunt.

Thanks for any advice. Feel free to add and chat me!
In this game, chasing characters off stage is not nearly as rewarding as the previous iterations of Smash. It is often ideal to stage on the stage and punish the opponent for damage or a knock out than to attempt a gimp. With your characters I feel this is especially true. If you're too passive at the ledge, that likely comes with not knowing the options you have at the ledge.
So i have been thinking about changing how i jump and what i mean is by ether continue to use up on the stick or use ether X or Y to jump. Do this bring any advantages to use X or Y? I been considering this for some time now and i would like to hear from you guys if i should change. Also what would be the best way to mix up my attacks? I learning to not be predictable and i think i am doing ok i guess...
Use Y to jump. Turn off tap jump for the time being and if necessary, swap X to shield or grab. Y is the closest to B and with your thumb placement allows you to hit Y and A at the same time comfortably, an advantage not shared with X. I know players comfortably play with X, but I feel Y has the ergonomic advantage. Up on the analogue can be useful in certain situations, but overall the jump button is more useful as you might want to hold the analogue stick in a direction as you jump to get the most out of your movement.

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
Personally, I like tap jump, but it's all preference. Tap jump makes certain OOS moves easier while it's turned off to allow yourself to perform tilts much easier.

Now, being unpredictable just requires mind games. Empty hops. Tomahawks (empty hopping and grabbing) and SH Fair (as you're Shiek after all) together allow for you to force your opponent to keep guessing and possibly allow you to get in their heads, allowing for easy damage and possibly a KO. One thing some people get trapped with, especially with characters like Shiek, are trying to go for their combo starters first, making what you're doing (possibly grabbing 24/7) to be very easy to react and punish. You have more options then just your combo starters, like your ftilts, quick aerials and other quick options. Go for them when optimal, and enjoy da damage.

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me, or for Uair, is there a small area on the c-stick which will read as an uair instead of fair or bair? I really have to make sure I am hitting the c-stick straight up when uairing so that I don't a fair/bair. I don't feel that I have to be that meticulous when usmashing.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Hey guys I just started playing more competitively and was wondering what characters would be good for a competitive newbie. Thanks any help would be appreciated

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hey guys I just started playing more competitively and was wondering what characters would be good for a competitive newbie. Thanks any help would be appreciated
Whatever you win with. Your goals are very vague.

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
I know that using the cstick for aerials when it's set to "smash" affects your momentum, but how so? Does the same effect happen if you use the attack button + a direction on the control stick?

Another thing, do you guys use tap jump when csticking aerials? It seems like it would be easier than quickly tapping x or y and then moving your thumb to the cstick, especially for moves such as Pikachu's auto cancelled dair which have fairly strict timing.

Thanks!

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
Anytime I play competitivly, I always get nervous no matter what. I try calming myself to slow my heart beat. I try telling myself its just the same as the casuals. But still I always feel woozy at the end.

Any tips on getting rid of this? Its really effecting my play.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
can someone explain how DI works in this game? is it like brawl? I feel like i could probably live longer sometimes but am di`ing incorrectly.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
can someone explain how DI works in this game? is it like brawl? I feel like i could probably live longer sometimes but am di`ing incorrectly.
DI is much weaker in this game than Melee and Brawl. With that said, if you input your control stick in the direction perpendicular to the ordinary trajectory then you are doing it right (for survival DI).

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Take a few deep breaths before you play, have an empty but straight forward mindset and make sure you enjoy on what you're doing and not pushing yourself too hard than you need too.

As someone stated above, music helps too!

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
I've been struggling recently in tournaments with jitters. I get nervous and don't play as cleanly and get predictable unlike how I do in friendlies. It really frustrates me because I am beating great players in NorCal like Phoenix D (best :4mario: in NorCal) in friendlies, but get knocked into losers really early or just become a buster an get 2-0'd both sets in bracket. I've had crazy losers runs before. I've made it to Top 8 by just going through losers. But that's not a road I want to stick with for long. I want to build up good winners runs so I have the losers cushion to fall back on late in bracket. But I feel my jitters really gets in the way with that and causes me to blow big leads. Is there any way to get over the jitters and play more freely? I play :4falcon: :4mario: :4dedede: :4duckhunt:
Advice is much appreciated.

Rog48439

Smash Rookie
NNID
rog48439
I struggled with this for a long time as well. I found great success in listening to music, especially a track or certain tracks that you listen to when you're either practicing or playing in a calm or casual setting. Your mind will associate the music you listen to with what you're doing at the same time.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
breathing exercises, in for four, hold for four, out for four. sleep well. be hydrated. focus on the present, not the what ifs or the prior mistakes. know youre going to win.

busken

Smash Ace
What are some basic strategies I can use to condition my opponent into shielding? So far all I know is tomahawk.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
I struggled with this for a long time as well. I found great success in listening to music, especially a track or certain tracks that you listen to when you're either practicing or playing in a calm or casual setting. Your mind will associate the music you listen to with what you're doing at the same time.
I've had thoughts of listening to music while I play, but I do love the cheers of the crowd behind me. I want to bring the excitement and hype when I play and hear the excitement. If there's one thing I want to be in this community, I want to be one of the most exciting guys to watch when I play.
breathing exercises, in for four, hold for four, out for four. sleep well. be hydrated. focus on the present, not the what ifs or the prior mistakes. know youre going to win.
I usually have the mindset of I'm going to win when I go in, but I get too nervous and greedy for it in match. I may try doing those breathing methods and block what has happened in the past next time. Thanks for the advice guys.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
How can I consistently wall cling to the ledge?
The blue diddy kong did this in this video at 3:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igJDgsio8Rg
The ledge grab spot is actually below the ledge, so there's a bit of wall above that that can be clung to.

Annoyingly, recoveries like Meta Knight's sideB and Greninja's Hydro Pump can also bounce off that small bit of wall and SD instead of ledgesnapping.

busken

Smash Ace
The ledge grab spot is actually below the ledge, so there's a bit of wall above that that can be clung to.

Annoyingly, recoveries like Meta Knight's sideB and Greninja's Hydro Pump can also bounce off that small bit of wall and SD instead of ledgesnapping.
I understand but my goal is not to autosnap unto the ledge but wall cling unto it since I play Sheik. When trying to wallcling I accidentally snap unto the ledge or cling to an undesirable spot. I want to cling to the ledge like the diddy kong did in that video.

Eternal Blue Syaoran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueEternal
Since Smash 4 has been out I have a problem dealing with constant rolling. (not me doing it, people doing it against me.)
I generally play Rosalina & Luma, Ness, Luigi, and Lucina..
I try to be patient, but to be completely honest it drive's me crazy and I lose focus.
Anyone have any tips on what I can do against it?

(Sorry if this is not the correct place to ask this question... if so please direct me to the right forum for this..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom