• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Game Play Advice and General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I understand but my goal is not to autosnap unto the ledge but wall cling unto it since I play Sheik. When trying to wallcling I accidentally snap unto the ledge or cling to an undesirable spot. I want to cling to the ledge like the diddy kong did in that video.
Right, I was trying to describe where that spot is and describing other effects it causes to point it out.

Perhaps an image would work better:

busken

Smash Ace
Right, I was trying to describe where that spot is and describing other effects it causes to point it out.

Perhaps an image would work better:

You are truly a valuable member on Smashboards. I have seen you on multiple threads and your contributions are amazing. Not only a testament for your love of the game, but sharing your knowledge with others around. Thank you!

What is the best configuration to buffer SH Aerials? Lately, I've been using GC Controller where I set B to Jump, allowing me to quickly slide my thumb left, right or down to do buffered aerials. However, hitting B and sliding my thumb to the right near simultaneously is proving difficult for me to do consistently. I've tried using the shoulder buttons (L,R, and Z) but it just feels uncomfortable. What configurations or tricks do you guys use that have gotten you great success in buffering SH aerials?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
What is the best configuration to buffer SH Aerials? Lately, I've been using GC Controller where I set B to Jump, allowing me to quickly slide my thumb left, right or down to do buffered aerials. However, hitting B and sliding my thumb to the right near simultaneously is proving difficult for me to do consistently. I've tried using the shoulder buttons (L,R, and Z) but it just feels uncomfortable. What configurations or tricks do you guys use that have gotten you great success in buffering SH aerials?
You can easily be frame perfect buffering aerials using tap jump and A. It works best for me until you have to do falling up air or retreating fair/bair, then it's a simple control stick and c stick flick.

Edit: you can't be frame perfect with tap jump and Dair/Nair though. I have L set for jump for when I want to do full hop Dair.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
You can easily be frame perfect buffering aerials using tap jump and A. It works best for me until you have to do falling up air or retreating fair/bair, then it's a simple control stick and c stick flick.
I find using the control stick for my aerials.
EDIT: Thanks for the help though! I decided to keep B as Jump and I practicing flicking the c-stick to the right!

Last edited:

TheAxeWarrior

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheAxeWarrior
Good afternoon fellow Smashers!
I have a problem.. You see, when I started playing Smash competitively years ago, I took the importance of shielding and dodging to an extreme, and developed just about the most irritating habit imaginable.
It interferes with combos, teching, reads, ECH! It's terrible, just terrible!
Allow me to explain..

You see, I can't just, "attack." Everytime I use ANY move, I instinctively hold down the L/R button as the move is in action..
For example, I'll go for an air attack, and then, immediately after pressing A, hold down the R button!
My idea was that, if I held down the block button while my fighter was in the middle of a move, they'd block or dodge immediately after the move ended, making me safer from punishes or revenge attempts. Sounds like an okay idea, right?
Well, the problem is, I do this after every, single, attack. Which, of course, makes me extremely predictable, as opponents will know that I'm going to dodge/block after every attack..

It's not just the predictability though. Sometimes I don't time it well enough and I accidentally press L/R first! Because of this, I'll try to go for a follow-up attack and end up air-dodging instead. This is ruining my competitive game! I can't even do a jab without pounding that R button!
I also have a bad habit of rolling around the stage when just walking or dashing would actually be safer.
I'm a mess guys..

Please, if anyone has some good advice on how to destroy this automatic reaction my index finger has to push the R button, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Doval

Smash Lord
Get someone to do something painful to you every time you do the thing. Repeat until you stop doing it.

TheAxeWarrior

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheAxeWarrior
Get someone to do something painful to you every time you do the thing. Repeat until you stop doing it.
Thanks for the advice!

However, I did consider that. And, to be honest, none of my friends are actually, well, good at Smash (shame). I'm the odd one of the group.
I can't ask them to help me out. They wouldn't know how.

Perhaps I can battle someone on here?

Last edited:

GoldenEmp

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4828-5122-6398
Try getting on Training Mode for a while, and just get your index fingers on the back of the controller, instead of on the LR buttons, to practice NOT shielding after every move. Once you seem to get the hang of it, try getting your fingers again on the LR buttons and continue playing WITHOUT shielding. After you seem to stop shielding, practice with Lv9 CPU's, which are not much of a challenge, imo. Keep practicing!

TheAxeWarrior

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheAxeWarrior
Try getting on Training Mode for a while, and just get your index fingers on the back of the controller, instead of on the LR buttons, to practice NOT shielding after every move. Once you seem to get the hang of it, try getting your fingers again on the LR buttons and continue playing WITHOUT shielding. After you seem to stop shielding, practice with Lv9 CPU's, which are not much of a challenge, imo. Keep practicing!
Thank you so much! Your help is appreciated.

I'll go ahead and do that. Sounds like a very good idea. I reeeally wanna wean myself off of this, my dream is to be among the greatest Smashers out there.
Hopefully, I can break this habit, and keep it from coming back when I'm under pressure.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
I don't think single button mode is a thing anymore, but as a substitute you could make a custom control that has no shield buttons to practice fighting without shielding (not that you'll want to remove shielding and related tactics completely from your fighting).

TheAxeWarrior

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheAxeWarrior
I don't think single button mode is a thing anymore, but as a substitute you could make a custom control that has no shield buttons to practice fighting without shielding (not that you'll want to remove shielding and related tactics completely from your fighting).
Hey, I never thought of that.. If I'm unable to block/dodge (while training), then I won't be tempted to do it! Then, after this habit is behind me, I can turn that option on again and practice blocking/dodging at the RIGHT TIME.

So, it's really possible to make it so that a certain move is completely unavailable? I thought it wouldn't let you save a button configuration if not all the moves could be used.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
If that's true, then I guess you can make the only shield button be one that you never press (probably L or LT).

Khp

Smash Rookie
I hate people that uses these characters or just pure out spams projectile moves like Samus or Charizard's side special. Is there like any way to deal with these type of people? Mainly, Sheik and Sonic as Shulk because he's the best character I can play as. :4shulk:

Twin Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
A good idea indeed. Thanks for the help!
My friend had similar issues, but it was more that he rolled after every single thing he did on the ground. What we did to curb this was made him a tag that did NOT have the Shield button set to any button, and made him play about 10-15 games using it. It definitely helped him overcome his rolling crutch, and now i just need to teach him "when to shield" and how to OoS punish.

busken

Smash Ace
This is a question that I have been pondering about for awhile now, and I have not seen any videos on the topic; leading me to believe most smashers lack this in their gameplay.

What is adapting? I know its completely different from the concept of reads. I watched this video about why Armada is so good at Smash and it said that he is very good at adapting to playstyles. I thibk adapting is being able to be flexible in your gameplay; allowing to come back in battles more. I'm not really sure but I know its deep internalization. I thibk @ Shaya Shaya talked about this before.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Adapting is learning your opponent's playstyle on the fly. As a match progresses, you gain knowledge on how they react to you, what they do in certain situations, and what their overall gameplan is. But adapting isn't just learning these things. It's also about changing your playstyle to supplement what you're learning. Having the ability to adapt, I believe, is the main factor separating mid-level players from high-level players. Adapting as a concept goes waay deeper than this but this is just a simple definition

PhoeniXY9

Smash Rookie
Alright, listen! I have 97 wins and 73 losses, but lately, my win rate from the last 10 games and 50 games is my concern. I lost 8 out of the 10 games, and I barely have a 52% win rate in the last 50. And every time I lose, I either say curse words, not accept defeat and call it a 'fluke', or I worry about whether I'm weak or strong. I get nervous against very experienced players.

As far as characters go, I don't even know who to use as my main anymore. I usually lean towards using either Yoshi, Rosalina, Lucario, or Dark Pit but in the end, they don't work out. I feel like even if I use any character, they will suck. What does it mean? Are the characters that other players use really that good compared to mine? I know how to dodge some attacks, read the character's vulnerabilities, use a shield when I feel like it, and fight like everyone else. What the heck am I doing wrong? Who should I use to win more often? Is there such thing as a good character for me to use? Is it impossible to win now? I need legit answers!

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
First of all take it easy.

Look back at all the things you've had to learn in your life like reading and writing, riding a bike etc. Did you have a steady rise to the the top or was it a back and forth dynamic as you misspelled words and fell off your bike?
Notice how you trip while walking less and less as you get older? Part of getting good at fighting games like any other skill is recognizing the way you learn and moderating your learning accordingly. Everyone has good days and bad days. The top player in Melee in the world has had a pretty rough streak lately but he's more than capable of bouncing back. If he does bounce back it's because he learned from mistakes. From what I gather you observe things on a microscopic level. You don't see the macro, the bigger picture. Don't look at your wins/loses. Those are just numbers and the worthless kind at that. Look at your development as a player. How has your understanding of the neutral improved? How has your understanding of the game mechanics improved? Look at things more organically. There's bound to be ups and downs but the trick is not letting the downs get the better of you.

At the end of the day it's just a game. If we're not having fun then what exactly are we doing with all our spare time?

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
Just use Rosalina. You'll win even when you know you aren't supposed to

Jokes aside (not really), just stop playing for a few days. Play something else.

PhoeniXY9

Smash Rookie
First of all take it easy.

Look back at all the things you've had to learn in your life like reading and writing, riding a bike etc. Did you have a steady rise to the the top or was it a back and forth dynamic as you misspelled words and fell off your bike.
Notice how you trip while walking less and less as you get older? Part of getting good at fighting games like any other skill is recognizing the way you learn and moderating your learning accordingly. Everyone has good days and bad days. The top player in Melee in the world has had a pretty rough streak lately but he's more than capable of bouncing back. If he does bounce back it's because he learned from mistakes. From what I gather you observe things on a microscopic level. You don't see the macro, the bigger picture. Don't look at your wins/loses. Those are just numbers and the worthless kind at that. Look at your development as a player. How has your understanding of the neutral improved? How has your understanding of the game mechanics improved? Look at things more organically. There's bound to be ups and downs but the trick is not letting the downs get the better of you.

At the end of the day it's just a game. If we're not having fun then what exactly are we doing with all our spare time?
You have some very good points that I overlooked! But I still want to get better at Super Smash Bros.

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
You have some very good points that I overlooked! But I still want to get better at Super Smash Bros.
And deciding you want to get better is 99% of the process! Just keep browsing smash boards, keep playing other people. Try to go over replays of your matches and make a conscious assessment of what you did wrong. Improvement can be a slow process for many so just make sure be patient and the results will just come by themselves. Sleep well, eat well, put in some time in training mode as often as you'd like and you'll get better slowly but surely.

Last edited:

TheAxeWarrior

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheAxeWarrior
Warning Received
My friend had similar issues, but it was more that he rolled after every single thing he did on the ground. What we did to curb this was made him a tag that did NOT have the Shield button set to any button, and made him play about 10-15 games using it. It definitely helped him overcome his rolling crutch, and now i just need to teach him "when to shield" and how to OoS punish.
Thank you, I'll definitely do that.

So, those 15 games alone cured his bad habit? Or was it more like 10-15 games a day for a few days?
I'd just like to know so can figure out how long or often to practice this way. Thanks!

Twin Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
So, those 15 games alone cured his bad habit? Or was it more like 10-15 games a day for a few days?
I'd just like to know so can figure out how long or often to practice this way. Thanks!
It was just 15 games in one sitting. It set up his muscle memory well enough that he's started dashing more after whiffed attacks.

TheAxeWarrior

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheAxeWarrior
It was just 15 games in one sitting. It set up his muscle memory well enough that he's started dashing more after whiffed attacks.
Okay, thanks! It may take longer for me, or it may not. But I'll go ahead and try the 15 match sitting. If I'm still not weened off it by then, I'll go ahead and do this daily until my muscle reflexes get the message.

So, just regular, two-stock matches, right?

Twin Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
Okay, thanks! It may take longer for me, or it may not. But I'll go ahead and try the 15 match sitting. If I'm still not weened off it by then, I'll go ahead and do this daily until my muscle reflexes get the message.

So, just regular, two-stock matches, right?
We're a 3-stock community, but I don't believe that's relevant.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
dashing after whiffed attacks. I HAVE to try that more often. I've realized some holes in my defense/neutral game over all and this might be part a solution to this. Yes, as rolling and jumping after whiffing when in danger of your opponent striking can only do so much at times, and can easily put one in a bad situation, sometimes a worse situation than before. This is probably something I'd be more aware of if I played faster, rush-down characters a little more. So that's spacing, patience, pattern recognition, safe offense, and mix ups. Ledge options, offstage punishes etc. Things I've got on my mind whenever I play. Now to add dashing away after a whiff to make thise close situations a little safer through having more options. Sounds fun.

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
I have a simple question with a complicated answer that I feel like keeps happening to me:
How do I keep myself from going on tilt?

Now you see, I think of my self an alright player, nothing great, nothing too bad. Sometimes (keyword, sometimes, I can take a loss generally) though, when I lose and feel like things are out of control, I start getting onto myself for making mistakes and just kinda falling into a slump where I just start doing terribly and making more mistakes. I don't understand how to fix this issue and it's just starting to frustrate me. What should I do?

Asian_Charizard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3351-4223-6174
what is frame data? I've heard shulk (my main) has terrible frame data, but I don't know what that means exactly. Sorry for being ignorant, I'm new to competitive smash.

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
what is frame data? I've heard shulk (my main) has terrible frame data, but I don't know what that means exactly. Sorry for being ignorant, I'm new to competitive smash.
Bad frame data pretty much means like speed of attacks hitbox coming out, end lag, startup lag, etc. Basically, if someone brings out an attack and Shulk brings out an attack, unless he uses the Monado's disjointed hitbox, he'll basically nearly always lose.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
You might already know this, but a frame is the minimum time unit used in basically any video game. Smash 4 runs at 60 frames per seconds. Shulk's Jab, for example, comes out on frame 5 (according to this page). The animation for the attack will start one frame after the game has registered your input, but the hitbox will come out five frames after the input. This is kinda bad compared to Zero Suit Samus whose Jab hitbox comes out on frame 1 (meaning her Jab is much faster than Shulk's Jab).

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
Hiya

I'm attending my very first Smash Tournament today and I'm having some jitters about it. I really don't know what to expect. I've trained on for glory, played my amiibos, and played friends as well. I feel as though I won't suck, but I'm just afraid of going in there and losing to some 11 year old kid spamming projectiles with Mega man or something.

Does anyone have any advice on how to relax before a tournament? I know listening to music is something I'll do for sure. I think I'll also probably do it during the matches as well. But any advice would be helpful, especially tips on how to calm down when I actually get there for warm-ups.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with my question!

GalactaKnight

Smash Rookie
NNID
ALEXOCHSIMON
Spamming isn't usual in tournaments from my experience.

Also, relax as in to stop being tired or to stop being mad?

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
Well today I had my first smash tournament experience. It was a tournament held by a game shop that was incredibly tiny, really hot, and smelled like B.O....

They started off with doubles, which a friend of mine and I played just for fun. (I know tournament people don't like that) We both played as heavy set characters to see what we can do and actually made it the the second or third round in winners bracket. After we lost, the people who beat us proceeded to talk **** about us. Figures.

Then I started singles with my Luigi. And I didn't know until I started that customs were on and I was playing a Rosalina and Luma. ****. I got my ass beat. The Luma would hit me out of grabs, teleport straight to me at times, and he would constantly throw that stupid star bit projectile thingy at me...ugh. So I lost that match (which was very clear as I started. I didn't suck, but I don't know how to approach characters who depend on projectiles as their main form of attack.)

So then I wait 4 hours until finally playing my losers match. Which was SO much better. I was making better decisions and such and would get some baits and crap. It was a Dedede. I still lost, but I felt better about myself. But the Dedede was constantly getting angry every time I advanced on him.

On top of all this, my friend was complaining the ENTIRE time about how long the wait was, and how disorganized it was. (It was though, I'll give him that. People kept leaving, brackets were set up weird, etc.) But I expected that before even signing up.....but after everything was over, I felt like I couldn't enjoy smash much anymore because people at the tourney were just asses overall. There were some good moments, but overall it was a ****ty experience. Grant it, it was hosted in a small venue and not like in a Gameworks where a lot are. But I'm still hesitant on going again. I want to make it past the first freaking round in a bracket and step up my game, but that was just very discouraging.

Anyone ever go through something like this? Any words of encouragement that might help to keep me going? There's another tournament 7 days from now at a better venue. Should I go? I probably wont do much better, but idk.

Thanks for taking your time to read this and answer with any supportive feedback you may have!

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Go to the Luigi forum and learn his AT. Luigi is a very strong character in this game and you just need to learn his match-ups. Train over the week, work hard and keep plugging away at tournaments. Rome wasn't build in a day and neither will be your skill level. Losing is tough, but it teaches you more than winning. Examine where you went wrong and why. Adapt.

Bad at dealing with projectiles? Learn from Luigi mains about how to handle them. Learn to perfect shield. Learn to air dodge, tech, roll. And then play against zoners like Link or Rosalina and Luma.

You can do this if you train.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
That seems about right for your first smash tournament. It sucks that people were rude after matches but that's how some people are. I think if you do decide to attend another tournament you should be social and ask for friendlies and such. 4 hours between winners and losers doesn't make much sense. I'd check to see if there were better TO's in your region and go to those instead. Better luck next time msn the smash scene is pretty awesome so I'm almost certain your experience will just be better from here on.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
It's a shame that people didn't behave well. How many setups did the tourney have? It indeed sounds like the TOs were unorganized. I guess that they started loser's bracket when winnner's was almost done or something. That's actually a mistake I made the first time I TOd and it's something I will never repeat due to the extremely long wait and people becoming to tired and just disappearing. Anyway, I think that you should go to the next tourney regardless as long as you're interested in the competitive side of the game. You wouldn't want to miss your chance to improve and it's especially good that it's in a better venue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom