• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G4S5 Results Thread (Columbus, GA March 1st)

HyperDragon

Smash Apprentice
hmmm. A little late, but what the hell. I had a great time, even though my feet were begging me to sit down almost half the time. I normally don't do shoutouts, as I've said before, but hey, I think everyone knows that I appreciate them, and had fun playing Melee (or Brawl) with them, and am glad that they came to this. Although I will say one thing. Iori, I'll never forgive you for kidnapping HyperPanda and forcing Zero to hold him captive in his cold, dark, nice smelling car. Never.

I also appreciate Lance and Nite for taking their time to participate in this, it's been way too long. And RAM, it was an honor battling your Luigi, even though we've fought before (apparantely, although my memory doesn't serve me well).

Hando, Zero, we, in fact, SHOULD go to claw machines more often, particularly the ones at the movie theater just up the street from my house. I got a Luigi and Donkey Kong doll out of one of them one day.

To everyone else, thanks for going. I haven't seen some of you folk in such a long time, and it was great seeing you again.

In closing, I'll do this.

NEGATIVE ZONE
WHERE YOU GOIN *****, WHERE YOU GOIN
*trip, trip, sleep*

SHORYUKEN FOR THE WIN!!!!

Edit:
Also, this is to -Chad-, for threatening to flush my bouncy ball down the toilet:

Handorin

Smash Hero
Hyper, that match ending made me really sad. =( I totally could have won that. XD

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
But you're using as an example two players who will go Pokefloats and pick Mewtwo or Corneria and pick Pikachu.
mewtwo? pikachu? Certainly not against me ;)

When the **** hits the fan, both chad and iori will pick fox and go straight for corneria. They play mewtwo and pikachu on those stages because they enjoy playing those characters and it is also the characters they have the most experience with (maybe Iori can argue that he has equal experience with like 5 characters but thats aside the point). Those 2 understand perfectly well that Fox on corneria is their best chance of winning, because its simply the best tactic. If a tournament allows for Corneria, and you want to win and know fox well enough why not go to corneria? Chad and Iori play well within the rules and their right when they pick those stages. (I'll say my only counter to that is to hopefully complain enough to make them guilty for picking the stage, and perhaps to not pick it at all... but that hasnt worked too well). But you have to understand I understand clearly that those are the rules and who am I to say they cant really go there? Any argument i've had about the stages at tournament really dont boil down to "you shouldnt take me there" (although I may say it because I dont want to go there). But the real problem is once again "why is this stage allowed in the first place?"

Chad has told me he believes that learning different stages is what he believes gives the game depth and "skill" to work with. I say that when learning a stage boils down to who can be the most patient with Fox or falco that it detracts from the game.

I think the japanese in general illustrate my point most clearly. In japan, its entirely feasible for someone who is playing Doc, Mario, Ganon, DK, etc. to place extremely well. Brown Mario when he played won a major japanese tournament. I see japanese tournament videos being dominated with Doc's, peach's, etc in the final 2 or 3 rounds. The US on the other hand has geared their focus so much on stage variety that even at tournaments like OC3, everyone has been conditioned to learn only a few characters because you're boned if your opponent picks some counterpick stage. Thats why you see the finals with the top 4 so much.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
The reason I didn't win is because my entire crew started in the same half of the winner's bracket, and fed into the same half of the loser's bracket. And because I was too distracted by Fullmetal's sexiness ^_^

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
The reason I didn't win is cause I don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more. What is love? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

Yagami Light

Smash Rookie
The reason I didn't win is because I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids and that d@mned Shinigami!

nicaboy

Smash Champion
i too got distracted by full metal sexyness especially during our mm i was only a stock from beating you and your pepe popped out and smaked me in the face result epic failure

its ok alpha i got you next time we will fight for the blackest smasher alive!!!!

i lost because i played iori first str8 up. that and some collge chick attempt to have sex with me along with full metal. i craped my pants!!! :(

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
i too got distracted by full metal sexyness especially during our mm i was only a stock from beating you and your pepe popped out and smaked me in the face result epic failure

i lost because i played iori first str8 up. that and some collge chick attempt to have sex with me along with full metal. i craped my pants!!! :(
xD this is going somewhere special

HyperDragon

Smash Apprentice
The reason I didn't win is because I just didn't ****ing misfire enough.

That, and HyperPanda was SUPPOSED to support me during my matches, but SOMEONE had to go and take him away.

-Chad-

Slackerator
mewtwo? pikachu? Certainly not against me ;)

When the **** hits the fan, both chad and iori will pick fox and go straight for corneria. They play mewtwo and pikachu on those stages because they enjoy playing those characters and it is also the characters they have the most experience with (maybe Iori can argue that he has equal experience with like 5 characters but thats aside the point). Those 2 understand perfectly well that Fox on corneria is their best chance of winning, because its simply the best tactic. If a tournament allows for Corneria, and you want to win and know fox well enough why not go to corneria? Chad and Iori play well within the rules and their right when they pick those stages. (I'll say my only counter to that is to hopefully complain enough to make them guilty for picking the stage, and perhaps to not pick it at all... but that hasnt worked too well). But you have to understand I understand clearly that those are the rules and who am I to say they cant really go there? Any argument i've had about the stages at tournament really dont boil down to "you shouldnt take me there" (although I may say it because I dont want to go there). But the real problem is once again "why is this stage allowed in the first place?"

Chad has told me he believes that learning different stages is what he believes gives the game depth and "skill" to work with. I say that when learning a stage boils down to who can be the most patient with Fox or falco that it detracts from the game.
I said that learning stages and characters are the most skillful. Being good on some stage is great and all but you gotta have a character you can play well to go along with that stage, which is why I can play a wider variety of characters to help out with that. And Pikachu is super better than Fox vs Peach on Corneria, I just didn't want to upset you so much again >_>, when you E. Honda'd your face that one time, it was kinda awkward.

Everyone has the same opportunity to be good with every character and to learn every stage that's legal for you to use, I don't see what the argument is. If you just refuse to learn characters/stages then that's your weakness and it can be exploited.

Also the first match is always a neutral, which means if you should be capable of winning the first match, shouldn't you be capable of winning the set since you get the counterpick advantage anyway?

Maybe it's just me, but having counterpicks adds another layer of strategy which I love behind an already great game.

Lance87

Smash Lord
Memphis/Millington --- Runaway 7 till I die.
In my opinion, Iori would've won regardless of camping, which didn't happen as much as Chaddd made it sound.

(No offense intended in the following statement Chaddd, i'm just speaking my mind.)

Iori beat him 3-0 the first set when Iori was out of the Losers bracket, and 3-1 the next set to win. He was playing remarkably well in all the matches (not that Chaddd wasn't), there's no way that stages were gonna help Chaddd at that point, he was simply outplayed. In Chaddd's defense though, he didn't sleep much and while I was talking to him about 20 minutes before the finals match, he mentioned that he hadn't eaten all day. That's never good in such a high stress environment...

****ing Mewtwo and DK on Battlefield...Iori's insane, lol.

Edit-

@XIF- Just so you know, Chaddd was smart and banned Corneria for both sets. The majority of the matches were on Battlefield, and then Battlefield again when Chaddd lost and repicked it to try and counter Iori's character picks.

I agree with both Chad and XIF to an extent about the points they're making. The fact is though, that the stages that are allowed are there to stay, especially since Melee is gonna lose a majority of it's tourney-goers to Brawl.

<3 Sirlin, PTW is a **** good read.

edub

Smash Apprentice
the reason i didn't win is because i didn't want to embarrass zombie master, pika master, and luigi master

edit:
and also samus master

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I didn't win because I wanted to play Brawl more Cornel and 112 are good dudes.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
I just didn't want to upset you so much again >_>, when you E. Honda'd your face that one time, it was kinda awkward..
I love you, Pikachad.

E. Honda'd is now my favourite descriptive term.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
The reason I didn't win is because my entire crew started in the same half of the winner's bracket, and fed into the same half of the loser's bracket. And because I was too distracted by Fullmetal's sexiness ^_^

its ok alpha i got you next time we will fight for the blackest smasher alive!!!!

xD this is going somewhere special FULLMETAL SEXINESS
I think I love you guys! <3

I also think the general downfall of the common smasher at G4S5 was indeed my sexiness.

And yes, Tom- I edited your quote! lol

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
I said that learning stages and characters are the most skillful. Being good on some stage is great and all but you gotta have a character you can play well to go along with that stage, which is why I can play a wider variety of characters to help out with that. And Pikachu is super better than Fox vs Peach on Corneria, I just didn't want to upset you so much again >_>, when you E. Honda'd your face that one time, it was kinda awkward.

Everyone has the same opportunity to be good with every character and to learn every stage that's legal for you to use, I don't see what the argument is. If you just refuse to learn characters/stages then that's your weakness and it can be exploited.

Also the first match is always a neutral, which means if you should be capable of winning the first match, shouldn't you be capable of winning the set since you get the counterpick advantage anyway?

Maybe it's just me, but having counterpicks adds another layer of strategy which I love behind an already great game.
I understand what you mean but my point is that while you say that the fun is in learning a variety of characters and stages, I am saying that you are not getting variety because the game boils down to something far more shallow than I would like to see from melee.

Variety would mean picking a stage would give rise to a multitude of character options, each one different from the rest. What you're getting though is pick this stage and you're stuck with Fox and Falco as the only viable option, and on this stage you're screwed if you dont have Marth or something.

Yoshi's Island use to be a completely tournament viable stage. It was just like Green Greens, perfectly known to be a counterpick. Eventuall everyone realized how much Fox and Falco dominated on there. If you wanted even a chance to win you'd have to pick Fox or Falco. This is in essence the argument I am making.

JMOAN

Smash Apprentice
I might do shoutouts later. I rarely do and I probably should... Some people definitely need to be commented on their beastliness (especially a certain noob and a certain male sheep). I just wanted to comment on what this thread has turned into:

I didn't win because I played people who were better than me. Like, it wasn't fair at all! I would start playing with them, and then they'd beat me because they were outplaying me. That was the ONLY reason I lost. If they weren't better than me, I know I could have won. Like RAM's luigi was all up in my grill and he wouldn't let me hit him much! I can't win if I'm being beaten! No fair guys. No fair. D4mn tourney***s.

I think XIF has said some legit things. At first I thought he was talking like a grade-A scrublet, but now I think he's just trying to explain why he thinks some stages should be banned. Which is legit. For new stages to be banned you have to have some people that voice WHY it should be banned. XIF thinks Corneria should be banned because it rewards camping too much, that's fine. I don't think that's any different than banning Onett because it rewards up-kills too much. Personally I don't think Corneria should be banned, but I think it's fine for him to talk about it. (On a side note, I personally think Brinstar should be banned even though I use it as a counterpick. It's way to advantageous for floaty characters, and can **** the Hell out of space animals.)

So XIF, I have no problem with your posts. (Though I do think you john at tournaments sometimes IRL ...)

But Chaddd. You gotta realize that you are sounding like a good ol' Sirlin-scrub. I was incredibly surprised to read your posts, because I figured someone with as much tournament experience and skill as you have wouldn't have a scrub mindset. First of all, how can you say camping never works against people with enough tournament experience? I can think of a few pros from multiple games who would tell you differently (Vidjo and Justin Wong, off the top of my head). I'm sorry you have to learn more about the game and how to play on certain stages in order to win tournaments. But, uh, that's the game as it has come to be in the US tournament scene. You could go the XIF route and argue why those stages should be banned, but you can't just outright say camping is stupid.

Is camping fun? It's definitely frustrating. I'm the first to admit that. I absolutely despise playing Jigglypuffs, just because I hate the Wall of Pain camping style (more recently I hate playing them because of easy rest kills against Sheik....SOFT... :p ). I find Jigglypuffs to be quite frustrating, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna make a rant where I cry about how Jigglypuffs suck and they only win because they outspace me.

Chaddd, I'm sorry Pikachad and Iori play to win. I'm sorry if they are willing to do whatever is in the ruleset to give them the best chance of winning. If camping lets Iori/Chad beat you, wouldn't they be stupid to not utilize it? And I think you forget that Iori and Chad has OTHER styles of play. I have seen both of them camp and both of them play aggressively. Generally, they simply do whatever they think maximizes their chances of winning. Against you, that strategy is apparently camping. You say camping ultimately doesn't win and someone with enough experience should be able to get past it. Well....

Prove it.

chaddd

Smash Lord
I might do shoutouts later. I rarely do and I probably should... Some people definitely need to be commented on their beastliness (especially a certain noob and a certain male sheep). I just wanted to comment on what this thread has turned into:

I didn't win because I played people who were better than me. Like, it wasn't fair at all! I would start playing with them, and then they'd beat me because they were outplaying me. That was the ONLY reason I lost. If they weren't better than me, I know I could have won. Like RAM's luigi was all up in my grill and he wouldn't let me hit him much! I can't win if I'm being beaten! No fair guys. No fair. D4mn tourney***s.

I think XIF has said some legit things. At first I thought he was talking like a grade-A scrublet, but now I think he's just trying to explain why he thinks some stages should be banned. Which is legit. For new stages to be banned you have to have some people that voice WHY it should be banned. XIF thinks Corneria should be banned because it rewards camping too much, that's fine. I don't think that's any different than banning Onett because it rewards up-kills too much. Personally I don't think Corneria should be banned, but I think it's fine for him to talk about it. (On a side note, I personally think Brinstar should be banned even though I use it as a counterpick. It's way to advantageous for floaty characters, and can **** the Hell out of space animals.)

So XIF, I have no problem with your posts. (Though I do think you john at tournaments sometimes IRL ...)

But Chaddd. You gotta realize that you are sounding like a good ol' Sirlin-scrub. I was incredibly surprised to read your posts, because I figured someone with as much tournament experience and skill as you have wouldn't have a scrub mindset. First of all, how can you say camping never works against people with enough tournament experience? I can think of a few pros from multiple games who would tell you differently (Vidjo and Justin Wong, off the top of my head). I'm sorry you have to learn more about the game and how to play on certain stages in order to win tournaments. But, uh, that's the game as it has come to be in the US tournament scene. You could go the XIF route and argue why those stages should be banned, but you can't just outright say camping is stupid.

Is camping fun? It's definitely frustrating. I'm the first to admit that. I absolutely despise playing Jigglypuffs, just because I hate the Wall of Pain camping style (more recently I hate playing them because of easy rest kills against Sheik....SOFT... :p ). I find Jigglypuffs to be quite frustrating, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna make a rant where I cry about how Jigglypuffs suck and they only win because they outspace me.

Chaddd, I'm sorry Pikachad and Iori play to win. I'm sorry if they are willing to do whatever is in the ruleset to give them the best chance of winning. If camping lets Iori/Chad beat you, wouldn't they be stupid to not utilize it? And I think you forget that Iori and Chad has OTHER styles of play. I have seen both of them camp and both of them play aggressively. Generally, they simply do whatever they think maximizes their chances of winning. Against you, that strategy is apparently camping. You say camping ultimately doesn't win and someone with enough experience should be able to get past it. Well....

Prove it.
No offense dude, but please shut up. Shut the hell up. If you were JMAN, I'd have some respect for you, but since you're J*****AndMoan, I don't give half a sh*t what you have to say, as many times as I've seen your name up on the top 10 list. I said nothing about camping being a problem, I said it's incredibly annoying when I'm just trying to play to win on 3 hours of sleep, and there's always some douche motherf*cker who wants to run my patience dry 2 rounds before winner's finals.

I don't need to justify myself to you, but you seem to think I would have read that entire BS filled post of yours you spent verbally masturbating Chad and Iori.

And as for 'Camping doesn't work' and the 'prove it' remark, **** off with the bullsh*t. I believe everyone saw winner's finals. I also believe I won the Fox ditto on that god awful Poke Floats, despite Iori's constant laser camping. Then the caffeine wears off before loser's bracket catches up, and I'm wondering how I'm going to make the 3 hour drive home alive.

Quit proving that you're ignorant.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
i think we should play it like sakurai intended
no items
no smash balls
fox only
final destination

In The ZONE

Smash Cadet
J is for the way iori Jacks your stocks
O is for the way you're Overrated.
H is how you make ... everyone so Happy... (When you throw your phone)
and N is why you Never Never Never blame the game

AND JOHN IS WHAT YOU DO ALLLLLLLLL DAY LONG.....
tell me how... it is you sing this song...
Its beautiful... the way you moan and ***** and moan and ***** some more (after some moaning of course)
but the more you john... the more we just... care less ... and less and less and less..

So john... all the way... to your home...
where you can log online and john... some mooooooooooore
Please... it makes it so much fun.... for us....
when... someone like you just johns untill he gets his waaaayyyyy

^_^ ~ This is all in good fun, just smoke a bowl and get over it,
no one is going to think less of you

Top Bottom