• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fthrow/Dthrow Chaingrab Thread

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
So pikachu could possibly have a chain grab on every character?
He probably could under extremely stupid conditions.. like need a 5 times staled dthrow for medium weights and 7 times for light weights at 0% random guessing lol.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
He probably could under extremely stupid conditions.. like need a 5 times staled dthrow for medium weights and 7 times for light weights at 0%

So basically it's useless for most characters? xD

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
He probably could under extremely stupid conditions.. like need a 5 times staled dthrow for medium weights and 7 times for light weights at 0% random guessing lol.
But there isn't even a point in doing those because the conditions are so extreme.

Also, truth, i was CGing snake at 23%, like the original list. I never tried to go further because he always tried grenading after the first regrab, but i got it at 23%. Put that instead of 50%...

Roller

Smash Legend
Video is tomorrow. BTW, pikachu's grabe range is his head basically...also, the easiest way to do this is with your C-stick to grab. With it, you will never ever shield, it doesn't have that function. So, if you don't use the C-stick, put it to grab, it helps tremendously. Video up tomorrow, i went out. Sorry. I will have it on the 4 confirmed characters. BTW, controller port 4 is the best for grab priority in this sense. If player 1 and player 2 grab, player 1 will grab. But, if a grenade goes off and player 1 and player 2 are in the hitbox, player 1 will get hit. I will show it in the vid tomorrow.
I see what you're saying man. But a lot of people (myself included) use the C-stick to help do Fairs with backwards momentum and especially Bairs with forward momentum. Wouldn't it be just as usefull to set X/Y to grab(whichever one you don't use to jump)?

I think that has all the benefits of setting grab to C-stick, without any of the negatives.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I see what you're saying man. But a lot of people (myself included) use the C-stick to help do Fairs with backwards momentum and especially Bairs with forward momentum. Wouldn't it be just as usefull to set X/Y to grab(whichever one you don't use to jump)?

I think that has all the benefits of setting grab to C-stick, without any of the negatives.
isn't that EXACTLY like using "z" to grab?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yes, you will still shield. With Z-stick, you will NEVER shield. Also, you can still fair backwards without the C-stick...you just have to learn. I learned without the C-stick cuz i mainly played 1 player when i was getting used to SSBM, and if you use the C-stick it zooms, so i learned how to play without it. Both bairs and fairs with opposite momentum are really easy for me, but i guess its not that easy wen you odn't have the 5 years of training with it. There is no point in doing x/y to grab, it is the same as z.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've always used c-stick for aerials and switching it now would just mess me up like crazy.
I can chain grab pretty well with z though, not sure if i'm actually buffer grabbing or not.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'm not saying you have to change it to Z-stick, but its easier because you should never mess up. You will never accidentally shield.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not saying you have to change it to Z-stick, but its easier because you should never mess up. You will never accidentally shield.
Yeah i understand. (:
If chain grabbing becomes a big part of pika's game i'll probably end up changing it and just get used to doing aerials the regular way.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I never liked the c-stick. I stopped trying to depend on it when I started playing melee as often as brawl.

Pikachu gave birth to... the Z-stick LOL

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Can someone please test the port priority for the mk chain grab and test the chain grab on DDD before this weekend? I have a monthly tourney this weekend, and it would really help out. Thanks :)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
port priority is only important against Snake. ESAM confirmed DDD and lots of people confirmed MK (He was first priority to get it down on)

Zylar

Smash Ace
Video is tomorrow ... BTW, controller port 4 is the best for grab priority in this sense. If player 1 and player 2 grab, player 1 will grab. But, if a grenade goes off and player 1 and player 2 are in the hitbox, player 1 will get hit. I will show it in the vid tomorrow.
Awesome!
So it's from most to least priority

1 player
2 player
3 player
4 player?

so best way to CG Snake it to fthrow him to the ledge? Sigh... at least is something..
We still have to buffer the Dthrows, correct?

Pikachu gave birth to... the Z-stick LOL
A-Stick, B-Stick, C-stick, Z-Stick. :D
Shield-Stick?, Joy-Stick?, Taunt-Stick?, Jump-Stick? D:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This is the sort of discovery that really changes the metagame. The chaingrabs on Meta Knight, Falco, and King Dedede alone should warrant a radical rise in Pikachu's tier position and some serious falls (assuming they pan out to work 100% of the time). Like, if you grab Falco and can guarantee getting him up to over 100%, that makes a HUGE impact on Falco's overall power level. The rest is just gravy... which thankfully probably doesn't work on Mr. Game & Watch.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
its random when 2 players grab at the same time.
who ever gets lucky gets to grab.
player port doesn't matter.
Welcome to the boards! Please tell us all you know about the chain grab. :)

I want to 100% confirm that Pikachu can chain grab MK 7 times (0-52%.) On the 8th downthrow, MK can footstool out of it. The best finishers would be nair, reverse utilt, ftilt(up), or pummel > throw. An usmash or utilt trades hits with MK's nair or can be air dodged. Dsmash will hit, but MK will auto di out of it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yay since that's is like 1/2 of MK's stock :D

The falco one at worst (For him) will look like: fthrow x 2 > pummel > dthrow to 100% > some move. pretty much takes Falco to 115%

We need to figure the cap % to start the CG to Falco, Wolf, DDD, and some other important characters.

Zylar

Smash Ace
its random when 2 players grab at the same time.
who ever gets lucky gets to grab.
player port doesn't matter.
Player port does matter. Think about it, they had to make a code for who gets to grab if both grabs happen at the same time. And random isn't as easy as check player port, so and so gets the grab over the other.

I believe it was the same for Meele as well.

Oh and WELCOME!!! :D :D :D :D

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
For snake, they best way is to
grab-F-throw-grab-pummel-fthrow-grab-pummel-start CG. Also, Z-stick existed for DDDs infinites also, its really easy with them. But yeah, i will have a video tonight. I will show the 4 confirmed, because the other ones are much less significant. I might test wolf just because some people have trouble with him.

Also, you CANNOT set anything to move that isn't the joystick. The C-stick can go to anything the a, b, x, y, z, l, and r can, nothing else. The D-pad can only be set to taunts i think...Also, grab priority does matter, but the hitboxes rarely come out at the EXACT SAME TIME.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I might even test the ones with high %s, but i'm not testing the ones that have like 2 grabs at most.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
For snake, they best way is to
grab-F-throw-grab-pummel-fthrow-grab-pummel-start CG. Also, Z-stick existed for DDDs infinites also, its really easy with them. But yeah, i will have a video tonight. I will show the 4 confirmed, because the other ones are much less significant. I might test wolf just because some people have trouble with him.

Also, you CANNOT set anything to move that isn't the joystick. The C-stick can go to anything the a, b, x, y, z, l, and r can, nothing else. The D-pad can only be set to taunts i think...Also, grab priority does matter, but the hitboxes rarely come out at the EXACT SAME TIME.
d-pad can be set to other things. I tried to set it to attack but it doesn't input direction :( So walk off dairs were a no go with d-pad xD (I ended up doing a walk of nair with Ike... do you want to know where that goes...)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
fthrow x 2 > pummel > dthrow fun > something to damage/kill you. (nair I guess)

We should probably test if this works on slants such as Yoshi's Island and tilting like Lylat. Although i see the slant making work better lol.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It works on slants, but not when it is tilting on lylat. If it tilts to your advantage then no, so on the moving platform on YI and all of lylat it is more situational.

Also, truth, edit it to 23% start on snake, it works. They couldn't footstool out of it, although he could Nade out of it, but he can always do that.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Stealth, if you are CGing when it is actually tilting, like moving, it effects it. But if it is stationary like the slopes on YI (Not the platform on top) then it works.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
It works on slants, but not when it is tilting on lylat. If it tilts to your advantage then no, so on the moving platform on YI and all of lylat it is more situational.

Also, truth, edit it to 23% start on snake, it works. They couldn't footstool out of it, although he could Nade out of it, but he can always do that.
If Snake can nade out of it.. would Wolf be able to shine out?

So basically, Falco's best nuetral against Pikachu, is his worst stage LOL...

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
IDT wolf is able to shine. The hitbox doesn't reach us idt, and he may not have any frames of being out of it like snake and MK do. IDK, ill test it.

Top Bottom