• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Frostbite 2019 Thread

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Pacman is likely the most game-transition buffed character in smash history (perhaps Bowser could make arguments, but it's still been across 3 games).
I think Pichu deserves that title if we're counting multiple game transitions. For single-game, Mario (Brawl > 4) and Shulk both have arguments. Semantics aside though, he was buffed a lot.

He is a completely different beast to Smash4 thanks to the engine too. Projectiles don't deal reduced shield stun anymore (?I think?)
They still deal reduced shieldstun, but their shieldstun is basically identical to the amount of shieldstun aerials have, and it's overall a lot less noticeable because dropping shield sucks now.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think Pichu deserves that title if we're counting multiple game transitions. For single-game, Mario (Brawl > 4) and Shulk both have arguments. Semantics aside though, he was buffed a lot.

They still deal reduced shieldstun, but their shieldstun is basically identical to the amount of shieldstun aerials have, and it's overall a lot less noticeable because dropping shield sucks now.
Pichu perhaps indeed, I don't really know the numbers.

While Shulk entire kit is impacted by a mechanic change to arts, side-b ledge grabbing is amazing, and the buff to nair/fair (IIRC) are nice, hmmm, it's arguably similarly impactful or even more impactful, just perhaps not as widespread throughout his entire moveset?

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Wishes :ultpokemontrainerf: 2-1 Samsora :ultpeach:
Kameme :ultmegaman: 2-0 Ally :ultsnake:
Ned :ultpokemontrainer: 2-1 Marss :ultzss:

Some more notable upsets.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Pokémon Trainer getting some nice upsets, eh? Both Wishes and Ned have gotten good results in their region (Wishes is formerly known as Vivid), and Ned used to be PGR. Kameme doing well isn't too surprising, it's Kameme, formerly known as Kamemushi, who got 2nd place at EVO 2016. Notable upsets for sure, but by good players.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Lea :ultgreninja: 3-1 Blank :ultchrom: to make top 48 winners! I guess we can also wait for the upcoming crew battle in about an hour or so.

Any :ultyounglink: placings, or is he destined to fade into obscurity?
I don't think any solo :ultyounglink: is left, so Tweek is probably our only hope for him, if he even considers using him.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Wishes :ultpokemontrainerf: 2-1 Samsora :ultpeach:
Kameme :ultmegaman: 2-0 Ally :ultsnake:
Ned :ultpokemontrainer: 2-1 Marss :ultzss:

I think Mega Man has the edge over Snake, mostly because Snake's explosives game isn't quite equipped to deal with the sheet projectile onslaught Mega Man can bring. Having strong juggling and edgeguarding doesn't help either.

Iridium

Smash Hero
More of Japan falls in losers.

Gen :ultpalutena: 2-0 Tsu :ultlucario: (65th)
Shoyo James:ultchrom: 3-0 HIKARU :ultdk::ultpichu: (49th)

DK does not have a fun time against disjoints.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Want to say that Goblin (top Roy from CFL) has been doing really well this tournament. He's currently fighting Blacktwins13 for 49th after going last game last hit with MuteAce and then 2-0ing both Rags and Seagull Joe.

Edit: He won 3-2. How the **** was this man ever seeded 204th?

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
SDX :ultmewtwo: 2-1 Salem (Link? Lucina?) for 65th. He also fell to Ryuga in winners.

Marss :ultzss: 3-0 Ally :ultsnake::ultmario: for 49th to add on.

Myran :ultolimar: 3-2 Larry Lurr :ultfox: to make top 48 winners.

Pelca :ultsnake: 3-2 Elegant :ultluigi: to eliminate him at 49th.

On a side note, Goblin :ultroy: made it all the way to losers top 48 from round 1 in phase 2.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Uh, MuteAce :ultpeach: 3-1 Zackray :ultwolf::ultwario: to make top 48 winners. This is a huge upset.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Is zackray out??? Or was this winner's side?
It was winners. He's in losers now.

On that note, I don't think there are any Wolves besides like Tweek and Leo (Leo plays Wolf right?) in top 48 winners. Kinda surprising.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Where are you guys getting this info? Are you watching the stream or can anyone link me to the live bracket?

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705

On that note, I don't think there are any Wolves besides like Tweek and Leo (Leo plays Wolf right?) in top 48 winners. Kinda surprising.
Oh thank god, lol. That's insane, how is it possible so few wolves got in? Maybe they're all too new to the character? That means more Peach/Daisy mains got in to top 48 huh?

Leo does play Wolf for certain matchups.

Where are you guys getting this info? Are you watching the stream or can anyone link me to the live bracket?
https://smash.gg/tournament/frostbite-2019/events/super-smash-bros-ultimate-singles/brackets

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
This.

Oh thank god, lol. That's insane, how is it possible so few wolves got in? Maybe they're all too new to the character? That means more Peach/Daisy mains got in to top 48 huh?
There are still a lot of Wolves losers side, I think at least 5 of them. It's just odd to me that for such a common character, the only people who got top 48 winner's side with him are probably the top 2 Ultimate players right now.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero

Leo does have a Wolf, but I've only seen him use Ike so far, at least for singles. Maybe he will pick him later at some point.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Leo has been at least putting in serious Wolf work recently, I think he went strictly Wolf for a couple tournaments recently. Not sure what matchups he has in mind for switching off of Ike but he has actual experience using Wolf at least instead of just pocket secondary mainly used in friendlies.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
This is what top 48 looks like:

Winner's
MkLeo:ultike::ultwolf: vs UtopianRay:ultpalutena:
Nairo:ultpalutena::ultlucina: vs Ned:ultpokemontrainerf:
Wishes:ultpokemontrainerf: vs Myran:ultolimar:
Tea:ultpacman: vs Shuton:ultolimar:
Tweek:ultwolf::ultwario: vs Ryuga:ultike:
Light:ultfox: vs Umeki:ultdaisy:
VoiD:ultpichu: vs Lea:ultgreninja:
MuteAce:ultpeach: vs Cosmos:ultinkling:

Loser's
Abadango:ultmetaknight: vs Skilly:ultpalutena:
Marss:ultzss: vs Gackt:ultness:
Blank:ultchrom: vs Fatality:ultfalcon:
ZD:ultfox: vs zackray:ultwolf::ultwario:
Lui$:ultfox::ultdoc: vs Samsora:ultpeach:
dyr:ultwolf: vs Zinoto:ultpeach:
MVD:ultsnake: vs NAKAT:ultpichu:
LingLing:ultpeach: vs Suarez:ultyoshi:
Geist:ultbayonetta1: vs Pelca:ultsnake:
Shoyo James:ultchrom: vs DM:ultpikachu: (This Pika player outplaced ESAM lol)
Larry Lurr:ultfox: vs Tachyon:ultpichu:
SDX:ultmewtwo: vs Dabuz:ultolimar::ultpalutena:
Kameme:ultmegaman: vs false:ultwolf:
Goblin:ultroy: vs JeBB:ultpalutena:
Meme:ultyoshi: vs Light (Germany):ultpeach:
WaDi:ultrob::ultrosalina: vs Captain L:ultpichu:

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
Leo will still use ike because as you can see many top players doesn't really practice matchups unless the character is really popular, so why use a character that many people would try to study or will use when you have a good enough character that less people know the matchup, and you can still use that character when the situation arises, pocket characters only work if they can gatekeep a vast amount of matchups. Wolf is a top tier, but that doesn't mean you can skip matchups, good fundamentals or not.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
5 Palu's in Top 48? Umm..yea I dont think she is falling of yet.

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Tweek takes 5 stocks during the NA vs Japan crew battle. He still has one stock. Tweek and Wolf are insaaane.

To anyone who doubted tweek's abilities after gen6.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Found out on Reddit that Ryuga's has to replay MVD tomorrow despite MVD forfeiting:

https://twitter.com/trueRyuga/status/1099513393898315776

Apparently, the tournament organizers had the two play the set offstream in a random corner with poor lighting and no sound because the were running overtime and MVD couldn't handle those conditions. And now Ryuga's being punished for their stupidity. What kind of incompetent bull**** is this?!?

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Found out on Reddit that Ryuga's has to replay MVD tomorrow despite MVD forfeiting:

https://twitter.com/trueRyuga/status/1099513393898315776

Apparently, the tournament organizers had the two play the set offstream in a random corner with poor lighting and no sound because the were running overtime and MVD couldn't handle those conditions. And now Ryuga's being punished for their stupidity. What kind of incompetent bull**** is this?!?
They're not replaying it,

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I just saw the crew battle. Shuton was playing like a demon possessed, taking away 9 freaking stocks.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I just saw the crew battle. Shuton was playing like a demon possessed, taking away 9 freaking stocks.
Lea and Shuton took half of the USA’s stocks between them with Lea finishing off Dabuz, 3-stocking Samsora and nearly clutching it out against ESAM.

MU inexperience was definitely a factor in Sam’s case; I’m more impressed with Lea’s performance against ESAM given ESAM’s good level of experience fighting Greninja and the thunder rats likely being his worst MUs. Lea also died in really unfortunate ways which could have been avoided (offstage thunder, horrible DI on a dash attack and trading with Fsmash with landing Nair when trying to land behind).

Hoping he performs well today. Could be a good indication of Greninja’s status. Unfortunately his first match is against VoiD.

EDIT: Speaking of VoiD, his close set with Komota was pretty fake. VoiD SD’d like 3 times during the set.

Last edited:

Nemesis561

Smash Apprentice
Olimar is so good in a crew battle setting (and in general of course). You lose a stock vs Olimar, and next thing you know you're at 70% within like 5 seconds and completely demoralized

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Its actullat looking to be an interesting and fairly diverse top 48. Well with princess, godesses and electric rats really in big numbers.

Quite a lot of upsets as well. Notabally Zackray, Dabuz and Samsora and Wadi in losers..and other playera like ESAM, Salem and Ally not making it to top 48.

Who was Salem eliminated by anyway?

Last edited:
Top Bottom