• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Frostbite 2019 Thread

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Notable Upsets for Far:

saj:ultdaisy::ultpeach: 1-2 Ronin:ultpichu: (saj made it out from phase 1 pools from loser's)
Shoyo James:ultchrom: 1-2 DRN:ultbowser: (Shoyo made it out from phase 1 pools from loser's)
SDX:ultmewtwo: 0-2 Pelca:ultsnake: (SDX made it out from phase 1 pools from loser's)
Tsu:ultlucario: 1-2 Ronin:ultpichu: (Tsu made it out from phase 1 pools from loser's)
VoiD:ultpichu: 2-1 Komota:ultkirby: (I know VoiD is the victor, but Komota was so dang close into beating him.)

Pelca, probably more known for his Falco in Brawl, is on fire today.
Tsu was about to secure an easy game 3, but he choked harder than I have ever seen in my life, and Ronin ended up getting a 3 stock comeback.
Komota was so freaking close into securing the upset against VoiD. Each of their games was last stock, last hit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Suarez :ultyoshi: 2-1 HIKARU :ultdk:(:ultwario:?)
BlazingPasta :ultpeach: 2-0 8BitMan :ultrob:

A lot of big names are falling early.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Suarez :ultyoshi: 2-1 HIKARU :ultdk:(:ultwario:?)
BlazingPasta :ultpeach: 2-0 8BitMan :ultrob:

A lot of big names are falling early.
Smash Ultimate is so absurdly hard to be consistently good at it, it's kind of remarkable

Tangentially related, but I picked up Fox recently and that character can be a struggle. Up tilt strings and Nair are amazing, sure, but when it comes to kill and your opponent isn't falling for the Nair to Upsmash set up, it can be rough.

Although, I still need to work on my stage spikes...

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Smash Ultimate is so absurdly hard to be consistently good at it, it's kind of remarkable
Suarez beating HIKARU and BlazingPasta beating 8BitMan aren't exactly huge upsets, both Suarez and BlazingPasta are already notable players and neither 8BitMan or HIKARU are top 10 in the world right now.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Ozone just got the upset vs. Dark Wizzy with Duck Hunt! (2-1)

Duck Hunt is so sick to watch btw, I’ve missed seeing him.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I haven’t been following Frostbite. Seems like a ton of upsets. What did Gackt do if anything?

Iridium

Smash Hero
Elegant :ultluigi: 2-0 Darkshad :ultshulk:

Did not think these two would face off so early. Multiple SDs really cost Darkshad the set, from what I saw.
I haven’t been following Frostbite. Seems like a ton of upsets. What did Gackt do if anything?
I'm pretty sure he made it out of round 1 pools in winners. Nothing much at the moment.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord

Did not think these two would face off so early. Multiple SDs really cost Darkshad the set, from what I saw.

I'm pretty sure he made it out of round 1 pools in winners. Nothing much at the moment.

Yeah that set was just...unfortunate. Even Elegant was like "i didn't want to win like this.."

But looking at this set kinda we worry about Luigi right now in the meta. He still has his nutty combos but he seems to have a lot going agaisnt him. He can get camped out by good projectiles , kept out with swords, and now has a pretty exploitiable recovery. He besically lives and dies now off his combo game and good frame data.
There are just so many notables MU's he just struggles to get in

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Panda Bair:ultvillager::ultisabelle: apparently got double eliminated very early in bracket to Colm and T0gep1.

Frozen defeated yeti:ultmegaman::ultsnake: 2-1. Not sure who Frozen mains, but I think it is Palutena. Might be wrong....

Also, Mr. R decided to DQ himself from the tournament, so we won't be seeing footage from him.

ReVerbIsSuperb

Smash Cadet
Frozen defeated yeti:ultmegaman::ultsnake: 2-1. Not sure who Frozen mains, but I think it is Palutena. Might be wrong....
Frozen mains Palutena. From what I saw on Twitter, Game 3 was a last hit last stock situation. He had KingArc (notable Mega in NY) give him some practice sets before they fought. Guess it ended up being enough to help him clutch out the W. So unfortunate it wasn't streamed however. Just looking through the Frostbite Reddit Upset Thread alone has me tight about all the cool sets we'll never be able to watch. RIP

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
But potential...

On a more serious note, Elegant is very skilled and Shulk is one of the harder characters to play. I still think Shulk has incredible potential, but it might take months before we start seeing strong results from him.

The SDs were indeed unfortunate. We've been seeing quite a few SDs in general in this game, probably because the game is new (and the hold buffer is stupid, I sure hope they'll give us an option for turning it off).

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
More on Elegant vs DarkShad:

Elegant 1 stock, 104.2%, DarkShad 2 stocks, at 163.7%, gets edgeguarded and dies. He hits Luigi off-stage, Luigi is now at 119.1%, but Shulk trades with a move and is at 2.1%, he airdodges (potentially a buffer) and dies at 2.1%, in a game he was really likely to win. That could've been a 2-1 to DarkShad, potentially, so unfortunate for him.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411

Yeah I’m watching now, pretty cool tournament so far

Iridium

Smash Hero
Meme :ultyoshi: 2-0 CaptainZack :ultdaisy:

Yeah, don't sleep on this guy.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Meme :ultyoshi: 2-0 Captain Zack :ultdaisy:

Yeah, don't sleep on this guy.

Speaking of characters that have the "but potenial" label...dont forget Searus beating Hikaru too

Dont sleep on yoshi as well

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
ZD :ultfox: 2-0 komorikiri :ultwolf: in losers.

Komo unfortunately goes out at 65th place.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Lui$ :ultdoc: goes 2-1 versus ESAM :ultpikachu:, knocking ESAM into Losers.

The Dr. Mario curse continues for ESAM it seems...

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Frostbite has been amazing so far. A Yoshi tearing through everyone? Dark Samus taking a lead game 1 versus MKLeo? Kels vs Seth's set was soooo intense too!

It looks like top 48 is going to have some insane character diversity. Despite the absurd amount of Wolf/Pichu mains, it's not everybody! There are plenty of people trying all sorts of different characters.

To be fair, the stage list for Frostbite definitely boosts Wolf/Pichu/Peach. Man, if Kalos was replaced with Unova it'd be so much better. That's not for this thread though.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Lea :ultgreninja: 2-0 WaDi :ultrob::ultrosalina: to send him into losers. Doing us Greninja mains justice.

His Rosa did a better job at slowing down Lea's aggression, but Lea just kept the pressure going. R.O.B. was more or less combo food compared to her, so the counterpick at least made sone sense.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Plup :ultgreninja: 2-0 Ozone :ultduckhunt:, and is now one set away from making top 48, losers side.

Advo :ultdarksamus: 2-0 CaptainZack :ultdaisy: to knock him out at 65th.

Tachyon :ultpichu: 2-0 tamim :ultbayonetta1: to knock him out of 65th as well.
Yeti placed 97th on Frostbite!
Update: ESAM IS OUT!
Can I just say I'm amazed that Komota even got so far as well with :ultkirby:? He got 65th in comparison.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
ESAM out at 65th,

My guess is ESAM will be like "Pikachu still busted".

Yup:

(To be fair, Pikachu probably is still really good, Shoyo James is not that bad of a loss).

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Seeing ESAM out before top 48 is just... woah.

This is some fierce competition. I feel like this top 48 is going to be even better than Genesis top 64. This could be the first international ultimate major that a Japan player takes.

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
Can I just say I'm amazed that Komota even got so far as well with :ultkirby:? He got 65th in comparison.
Shame. I was hoping he could go further since Kirby has so little representation now that Captain L dropped him. His performance was great though.

Are there any other Kirby players in frostbite?

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
For some reason this thread is pinging me despite not watching it. That's fun.

Anyway, with Lea beating WaDi, one of the two notable Greninjas (the other being Akashic) that I know are at the tournament is guaranteed top 48.

Also, ESAM failing to beat Shoyo is not a good look. Not to detract from James' skill, but ESAM has pretty consistently outplaced him at tournaments they both attended. On top of that, ESAM has been one of the bigger proponents of the "Chrom sucks, just edgeguard him" theory since before the game came out, and plays a character who generally has extremely strong edgeguarding.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Tea :ultpacman: 3-0 Dabuz :ultolimar::ultpalutena: to make top 48 winners!

Tea :ultpacman: 2 - 0 Dabuz :ultolimar::ultpalutena:

So uh, Pac-Man.
It's not over just yet. He needs to win another game.

Shame. I was hoping he could go further since Kirby has so little representation now that Captain L dropped him. His performance was great though.

Are there any other Kirby players in frostbite?
I'm certain that was just it.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Tea 3-0 Dabuz, interesting. I wonder how much is MU unfamiliarity and how much is Pac-Man actually being good? Pac-Man looks a lot better in this game, at least.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Tea 3-0 Dabuz, interesting. I wonder how much is MU unfamiliarity and how much is Pac-Man actually being good? Pac-Man looks a lot better in this game, at least.
Probably a lot of the former. How many Pac-Man mains actually exist and are noticeable? Probably can count them on one hand.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Pacman is likely the most game-transition buffed character in smash history (perhaps Bowser could make arguments, but it's still been across 3 games).

He is a completely different beast to Smash4 thanks to the engine too. Projectiles don't deal reduced shield stun anymore (?I think?). Our options to deal with projectiles are worse.

But we'll see how Tea goes. Swords exist (maybe Fox/Wolf too). Other people from Japan with good match up experience exist too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom