Frisk is Determined to Fight! Frisk Supporter Thread

OrpheusTelos

Smash Journeyman
The overwhelmingly positive reaction to the Sans costume actually got me thinking about how much the speculation scene underestimated the demand for Undertale content in Smash. If you exclusively hung around certain Smash circles, you'd get the impression that Sans and Steve were the most hated characters because they came from "le epic cringe games" or whatever, but the reactions to Sans on Twitter does not reflect that at all. Everyone I've seen on social media was so excited for the Sans costume that it basically overshadowed Banjo's release and the actual character reveal of Terry. I think it speaks volumes to Undertale's popularity that a freaking Mii Costume was able to get that big of a reaction out of people, and should shut up anyone who says it isn't as big of a deal as Shovel Knight or Shantae. Whether it be for the additional DLC or Smash 6, I'm almost certain that a fully realized Undertale character will make it into Smash eventually. The game has left such a huge impact on the gaming landscape, and with the upcoming release of Deltarune, I don't think the Undertale hype will be going away anytime soon.

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
Some interesting things.

1. Undertale gets special treatment from Nintendo lately, relative to most other indie titles.
  • The Switch port of Undertale was announced on a major Nintendo Direct, not an Indie Direct. (9/13/18)
    • Funny enough, it was the exact same Nintendo Direct that Super Smash Brothers Ultimate was announced in.
  • The release trailer for Undertale's switch port was also in a mainline Nintendo direct. (9/13/18)
  • Deltarune Chapter 1, the demo to Undertale's follow-up game, got a Switch port four months after its PC release.
    • It, too, was announced in a mainline Direct. (2/13/19)
    • It's a bit odd to port a free demo of a PC game that won't actually be finished for many years.
(And, at least at my local GameStop stores, the only indie games you can buy eShop codes for are Undertale and Hollow Knight. I don't know whether that says more about how Nintendo perceives those two titles relative to other indies, or how GameStop perceives them, but it's an interesting data point.)

2. Toby Fox has been working very closely with Game Freak, one of Nintendo's 2nd-party developers.
  • Composing the entire OST for Little Town Hero.
  • Composing a guest song for Pokemon Sword and Shield.
Note: Fox (who is a composer first and foremost, game developer second) clearly doesn't seem to have much an issue offering up his musical talent to other developers. This is likely why Sans is the first (and so far, only) Mii costume to come with a free music track. Speaking of which...

3. The Sans Thing.
  • The Sans costume, more than any other Mii costume, is designed as if it's a full-fledged substitute for a unique fighter, rather than a cheap cosplay.
    • This could be a point against a unique UT fighter ever happening.
    • However, it could just as easily be a way to reduce anger over a future UT fighter "taking" Sans' slot.
  • The trailer alludes to three major Undertale characters: Frisk and Chara via Villager using the stick up-tilt and Villager holding a Killing Edge (representing the NM fight against Sans), and Flowey via a yellow Piranha Plant (representing Flowey's pre-game runs and grudge against Sans).
    • The Chara reference is especially interesting, as they're a spoiler character who Fox often shies away from acknowledging.
  • As far as I can remember, this is the only time Sakurai has had a little post-reveal/release-day talk to the audience about a mere Mii costume.
    • Though, curiously, he doesn't say much of anything about Undertale itself, or the character in question.
    • This chat reveals that Toby Fox and Sakurai have met in person. Just for negotiations over a Mii costume, or...?
  • On both of the official Undertale Twitters, Fox refers to the Sans costume + Megalovania track package as Undertale's "debut" in Smash Ultimate:
Fox's public persona is typically humble and self-depreciating, so using a term that would imply confidence in the possibility of future, additional content... seems a little unusual.

I honestly do suspect that Fox has an advantage over other indie developers due to his game's sheer international popularity... and, on Nintendo's side, I'm sure it's easier to negotiate with a single person than an entire other corporate entity or studio. Considering the majority of the DLC has been characters from games Sakurai personally enjoys, I suppose the only thing in Frisk's way is... how Sakurai feels about Undertale (which we don't currently know).

As a side note, Fox has stated in the past that Melee is one of his favorite games of all time. For what it's worth.

Last edited:

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
Insider sources in the Undertale datamining and modding community have recently stated a few things that suggest Deltarune's development has increased in both speed and technical complexity. I don't want the exact details to spread too far, but if you're a member of that community you probably already know what I'm talking about.

In addition, Deltarune is referred to as "upcoming" by the director of the Undertale LIVE concert, in a recent article:
“We want this to be a show that cares as much about the fans as they care about Undertale,” said Visconti. “And fans can continue to expect some aces up our sleeve as excitement builds for the upcoming release of the game’s long-awaited followup, Deltarune.”
Which could just be a guess, nothing suspicious. The writer of the article seems to believe Deltarune will probably never come out, after all. However, Fox is explicitly collaborating with the director and crew on the content of the concert:

Remember that Fox's original estimate for the game's development was about seven years.
I suspect that Fox has gotten help from a professional studio or company with development. Considering recent events, I suspect it to be either Nintendo, or Game Freak. And Game Freak seems to have their hands pretty full, struggling to design new Pokemon games and all that, so...

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Whether we’re getting a new Undertale rep or not, it’s so great to see Toby reaching such highs and getting some nice deals with some Nintendo developers. If Toby has gotten a professional team made (possibly with help from devs from Nintendo) due to his newfound exposure to help get Deltarune going, then I can hardly wait to see the end product.

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
Whether we’re getting a new Undertale rep or not, it’s so great to see Toby reaching such highs and getting some nice deals with some Nintendo developers. If Toby has gotten a professional team made (possibly with help from devs from Nintendo) due to his newfound exposure to help get Deltarune going, then I can hardly wait to see the end product.
Yknow how Nintendo collaborated once to make Cadence of Hyrule? What if they made Mother 4 with Toby Fox before porting Mother 3 to the US XD

The new official Undertale merch revealed last month (11/20/19) refers to Frisk by name:

This is a new development. For the past four years, ever since Undertale's 2015 release, all merchandise related to Frisk referred to them as "The Human." Even the artbook, which contains spoilers for the entire game, treats their name as either nonexistent, or too much of a spoiler to even acknowledge. (A treatment the artbook otherwise only reserves for Gaster and Chara.) And even fanworks that made the jump to official merchandise, such as the tarot cards, had to censor Frisk's name to "The Human" in their official versions. [For visual reference: original "Frisk" card, vs official "The Human" card.]

Why the change in policy? And why now?

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
The new official Undertale merch revealed last month (11/20/19) refers to Frisk by name:

This is a new development. For the past four years, ever since Undertale's 2015 release, all merchandise related to Frisk referred to them as "The Human." Even the artbook, which contains spoilers for the entire game, treats their name as either nonexistent, or too much of a spoiler to even acknowledge. (A treatment the artbook otherwise only reserves for Gaster and Chara.) And even fanworks that made the jump to official merchandise, such as the tarot cards, had to censor Frisk's name to "The Human" in their official versions. [For visual reference: original "Frisk" card, vs official "The Human" card.]

The plot thickens

THE SLOTH

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712

Quick question for anybody that owns this book; does it mention Frisk by name anywhere else, or just on this page? Just curious. If it's only one incident, we could maybe say that Toby didn't notice that during editing, and it might get edited out in later prints, but that might just be a stretch.

Quick question for anybody that owns this book; does it mention Frisk by name anywhere else, or just on this page? Just curious. If it's only one incident, we could maybe say that Toby didn't notice that during editing, and it might get edited out in later prints, but that might just be a stretch.
Frisk's name is also used here, in the credits of the cross-stitch book:

And one of the preview images for the stationary set on Fangamer's website (also released 11/20) shows an envelope hand written "To Frisk":

Which is something that can't exactly be pinned on an oversight. Having Toriel address the human as "Frisk" on this envelope (rather than as "my child," like she does for the majority of the actual game) seems like an intentional choice.