• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frisk is Determined to Fight! Frisk Supporter Thread

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
The overwhelmingly positive reaction to the Sans costume actually got me thinking about how much the speculation scene underestimated the demand for Undertale content in Smash. If you exclusively hung around certain Smash circles, you'd get the impression that Sans and Steve were the most hated characters because they came from "le epic cringe games" or whatever, but the reactions to Sans on Twitter does not reflect that at all. Everyone I've seen on social media was so excited for the Sans costume that it basically overshadowed Banjo's release and the actual character reveal of Terry. I think it speaks volumes to Undertale's popularity that a freaking Mii Costume was able to get that big of a reaction out of people, and should shut up anyone who says it isn't as big of a deal as Shovel Knight or Shantae. Whether it be for the additional DLC or Smash 6, I'm almost certain that a fully realized Undertale character will make it into Smash eventually. The game has left such a huge impact on the gaming landscape, and with the upcoming release of Deltarune, I don't think the Undertale hype will be going away anytime soon.

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
Some interesting things.

1. Undertale gets special treatment from Nintendo lately, relative to most other indie titles.
  • The Switch port of Undertale was announced on a major Nintendo Direct, not an Indie Direct. (9/13/18)
    • Funny enough, it was the exact same Nintendo Direct that Super Smash Brothers Ultimate was announced in.
  • The release trailer for Undertale's switch port was also in a mainline Nintendo direct. (9/13/18)
  • Deltarune Chapter 1, the demo to Undertale's follow-up game, got a Switch port four months after its PC release.
    • It, too, was announced in a mainline Direct. (2/13/19)
    • It's a bit odd to port a free demo of a PC game that won't actually be finished for many years.
(And, at least at my local GameStop stores, the only indie games you can buy eShop codes for are Undertale and Hollow Knight. I don't know whether that says more about how Nintendo perceives those two titles relative to other indies, or how GameStop perceives them, but it's an interesting data point.)

2. Toby Fox has been working very closely with Game Freak, one of Nintendo's 2nd-party developers.
  • Composing the entire OST for Little Town Hero.
  • Composing a guest song for Pokemon Sword and Shield.
Note: Fox (who is a composer first and foremost, game developer second) clearly doesn't seem to have much an issue offering up his musical talent to other developers. This is likely why Sans is the first (and so far, only) Mii costume to come with a free music track. Speaking of which...

3. The Sans Thing.
  • The Sans costume, more than any other Mii costume, is designed as if it's a full-fledged substitute for a unique fighter, rather than a cheap cosplay.
    • This could be a point against a unique UT fighter ever happening.
    • However, it could just as easily be a way to reduce anger over a future UT fighter "taking" Sans' slot.
  • The trailer alludes to three major Undertale characters: Frisk and Chara via Villager using the stick up-tilt and Villager holding a Killing Edge (representing the NM fight against Sans), and Flowey via a yellow Piranha Plant (representing Flowey's pre-game runs and grudge against Sans).
    • The Chara reference is especially interesting, as they're a spoiler character who Fox often shies away from acknowledging.
  • As far as I can remember, this is the only time Sakurai has had a little post-reveal/release-day talk to the audience about a mere Mii costume.
    • Though, curiously, he doesn't say much of anything about Undertale itself, or the character in question.
    • This chat reveals that Toby Fox and Sakurai have met in person. Just for negotiations over a Mii costume, or...?
  • On both of the official Undertale Twitters, Fox refers to the Sans costume + Megalovania track package as Undertale's "debut" in Smash Ultimate:
Fox's public persona is typically humble and self-depreciating, so using a term that would imply confidence in the possibility of future, additional content... seems a little unusual.

I honestly do suspect that Fox has an advantage over other indie developers due to his game's sheer international popularity... and, on Nintendo's side, I'm sure it's easier to negotiate with a single person than an entire other corporate entity or studio. Considering the majority of the DLC has been characters from games Sakurai personally enjoys, I suppose the only thing in Frisk's way is... how Sakurai feels about Undertale (which we don't currently know).

As a side note, Fox has stated in the past that Melee is one of his favorite games of all time. For what it's worth.

Last edited:

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
Insider sources in the Undertale datamining and modding community have recently stated a few things that suggest Deltarune's development has increased in both speed and technical complexity. I don't want the exact details to spread too far, but if you're a member of that community you probably already know what I'm talking about.

In addition, Deltarune is referred to as "upcoming" by the director of the Undertale LIVE concert, in a recent article:
“We want this to be a show that cares as much about the fans as they care about Undertale,” said Visconti. “And fans can continue to expect some aces up our sleeve as excitement builds for the upcoming release of the game’s long-awaited followup, Deltarune.”
Which could just be a guess, nothing suspicious. The writer of the article seems to believe Deltarune will probably never come out, after all. However, Fox is explicitly collaborating with the director and crew on the content of the concert:

Remember that Fox's original estimate for the game's development was about seven years.
I suspect that Fox has gotten help from a professional studio or company with development. Considering recent events, I suspect it to be either Nintendo, or Game Freak. And Game Freak seems to have their hands pretty full, struggling to design new Pokemon games and all that, so...

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Whether we’re getting a new Undertale rep or not, it’s so great to see Toby reaching such highs and getting some nice deals with some Nintendo developers. If Toby has gotten a professional team made (possibly with help from devs from Nintendo) due to his newfound exposure to help get Deltarune going, then I can hardly wait to see the end product.

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
Whether we’re getting a new Undertale rep or not, it’s so great to see Toby reaching such highs and getting some nice deals with some Nintendo developers. If Toby has gotten a professional team made (possibly with help from devs from Nintendo) due to his newfound exposure to help get Deltarune going, then I can hardly wait to see the end product.
Yknow how Nintendo collaborated once to make Cadence of Hyrule? What if they made Mother 4 with Toby Fox before porting Mother 3 to the US XD

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
The new official Undertale merch revealed last month (11/20/19) refers to Frisk by name:

This is a new development. For the past four years, ever since Undertale's 2015 release, all merchandise related to Frisk referred to them as "The Human." Even the artbook, which contains spoilers for the entire game, treats their name as either nonexistent, or too much of a spoiler to even acknowledge. (A treatment the artbook otherwise only reserves for Gaster and Chara.) And even fanworks that made the jump to official merchandise, such as the tarot cards, had to censor Frisk's name to "The Human" in their official versions. [For visual reference: original "Frisk" card, vs official "The Human" card.]

Why the change in policy? And why now?

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
The new official Undertale merch revealed last month (11/20/19) refers to Frisk by name:

This is a new development. For the past four years, ever since Undertale's 2015 release, all merchandise related to Frisk referred to them as "The Human." Even the artbook, which contains spoilers for the entire game, treats their name as either nonexistent, or too much of a spoiler to even acknowledge. (A treatment the artbook otherwise only reserves for Gaster and Chara.) And even fanworks that made the jump to official merchandise, such as the tarot cards, had to censor Frisk's name to "The Human" in their official versions. [For visual reference: original "Frisk" card, vs official "The Human" card.]

The plot thickens

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712

Quick question for anybody that owns this book; does it mention Frisk by name anywhere else, or just on this page? Just curious. If it's only one incident, we could maybe say that Toby didn't notice that during editing, and it might get edited out in later prints, but that might just be a stretch.

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
Quick question for anybody that owns this book; does it mention Frisk by name anywhere else, or just on this page? Just curious. If it's only one incident, we could maybe say that Toby didn't notice that during editing, and it might get edited out in later prints, but that might just be a stretch.
Frisk's name is also used here, in the credits of the cross-stitch book:

And one of the preview images for the stationary set on Fangamer's website (also released 11/20) shows an envelope hand written "To Frisk":

Which is something that can't exactly be pinned on an oversight. Having Toriel address the human as "Frisk" on this envelope (rather than as "my child," like she does for the majority of the actual game) seems like an intentional choice.

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
Hey, so, if we decide to treat Verge's latest Big Deconfirm Dump as legit for now (I know other insiders are questioning it)...
It being an Assist Trophy "promoted" to being playable
It being a Spirit "promoted" to being playable
Of course, everyone suspected those things deconfirmed characters anyways. But... i find it a little weird he doesn't also mention Mii costumes, which are treated as equally deconfirming by most people? Seems like a simple and obvious thing to add into the slaughter pile. I'd rather an UT rep not be Sans, but...

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Hey, so, if we decide to treat Verge's latest Big Deconfirm Dump as legit for now (I know other insiders are questioning it)...

Of course, everyone suspected those things deconfirmed characters anyways. But... i find it a little weird he doesn't also mention Mii costumes, which are treated as equally deconfirming by most people? Seems like a simple and obvious thing to add into the slaughter pile. I'd rather an UT rep not be Sans, but...
Even ignoring the Mii costume stipulation, that list doesn't mention Toby or any indie companies in there, so... assuming these deconfirms are the real deal, our chances are growing higher and higher by the day...

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
Even ignoring the Mii costume stipulation, that list doesn't mention Toby or any indie companies in there, so... assuming these deconfirms are the real deal, our chances are growing higher and higher by the day...
He mentions the person (ZUN) and company (Team Shanghai Alice) behind Touhou, so Reimu's out.

He says no assists or spirits, so Shovel Knight and Shantae are out.

That still leaves Undertale, Hollow Knight, Cave Story, and a bunch of more obscure indies if Sakurai feels like it.

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
The smash speculation cycle is stressful, between the Discourse and the leaker drama and all that BS, so I'm probably not participating in the main speculation thread anymore. (#5 sure did turn out to be Byleth huh. At least it;s a big point in favor of Protagonist Privilege being a real thing.)

So I'm just going to mention that I'm surprised nobody in here is talking about how Cuphead (as a franchise) got swiftly hit with the Spirit Board Of Death after Cuphead (as a character) had already been sent to Mii Costume Hell. So Cuphead as a character is double-deconfirmed. But the Sans costume has been out since September, and there's still no Undertale spirit board?

justlikebyleth.png

Just thinking about it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I know that feel. It's been over three months and we've yet to see any content for :ultluigi:'s Mansion 3 beyond that vacuum cleaner.

If we get any major Undertale/Deltarune content, it depends on whether or not that Kris Mii costume rumor pans out. And if Deltarune eventually gets finished, first.

And yeah, Cuphead is super-dead. Not that it wasn't already, but I didn't expect for DLC Mii costumes to get spirit events down the line.

Last edited:

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
I know that feel. It's been over three months and we've yet to see any content for :ultluigi:'s Mansion 3 beyond that vacuum cleaner.

If we get any major Undertale/Deltarune content, it depends on whether or not that Kris Mii costume rumor pans out. And if Deltarune eventually gets finished, first.

And yeah, Cuphead is super-dead. Not that it wasn't already, but I didn't expect for DLC Mii costumes to get spirit events down the line.
I feel like it's a little different, though? Luigi's Mansion is considered part of the Mario franchise for smash. (Though one could argue it has just as much of its own distinct identity as Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Wario games do, it seems Nintendo doesn't see it that way. :/) It's a shame it's not even getting so much as more spirits, though.

The comparison between Undertale and Cuphead here is interesting because they're two 3rd-party, indie IPs that got the exact same otherwise-unprecedented "Mii Gunner costume that almost looks like an actual fighter + bonus music track" treatment... except that Cuphead (character and franchise) swiftly got double-deconfirmed via spirit event. Meanwhile, the costume for the UT series leaves both the player character and major (non-Sans) NPCs as... possibly not deconfirmed? And the absence of a spirit event... it's just further ambiguity as to whether or not Undertale is actually deconfirmed at this point.

I'm with Paraster - Do you have any more details on this "Kris Mii costume" rumor you speak of? I haven't heard about it. (And I'm pretty sure Deltarune is going to get finished... I've heard rumors from the UT datamining scene that suggest Toby might be getting help from a larger studio.)

And as to DLC costumes getting spirit events... I didn't expect it, either! It's another interesting addition in terms of how series can get represented in Ultimate, though, and I find that kind of neat even beyond speculation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel like it's a little different, though? Luigi's Mansion is considered part of the Mario franchise for smash. (Though one could argue it has just as much of its own distinct identity as Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Wario games do, it seems Nintendo doesn't see it that way. :/) It's a shame it's not even getting so much as more spirits, though.

The comparison between Undertale and Cuphead here is interesting because they're two 3rd-party, indie IPs that got the exact same otherwise-unprecedented "Mii Gunner costume that almost looks like an actual fighter + bonus music track" treatment... except that Cuphead (character and franchise) swiftly got double-deconfirmed via spirit event. Meanwhile, the costume for the UT series leaves both the player character and major (non-Sans) NPCs as... possibly not deconfirmed? And the absence of a spirit event... it's just further ambiguity as to whether or not Undertale is actually deconfirmed at this point.

I'm with Paraster - Do you have any more details on this "Kris Mii costume" rumor you speak of? I haven't heard about it. (And I'm pretty sure Deltarune is going to get finished... I've heard rumors from the UT datamining scene that suggest Toby might be getting help from a larger studio.)

And as to DLC costumes getting spirit events... I didn't expect it, either! It's another interesting addition in terms of how series can get represented in Ultimate, though, and I find that kind of neat even beyond speculation.
Let's not use any fan rules here, if Nintendo wants to promote something recent in a big way, they will. Not overlooking that possibility. Besides, LM-related stuff would get the mushroom icon anyways (I mean, it took ages for LM to get more than two games, heck the second game wasn't labelled "2" in the US).

No, I haven't heard other details beyond Fatman's theories and "I knew this guy that doesn't have an established name". Until then it's in the "unfounded" category unless a nasty surprise comes out of nowhere.

Sans is cooler than Frisk thoe
Yeah, but you can't deny that they almost always go for the main character of a series first, out of politeness. And due to Tobyfox's stance on Smash representation, Kris would seem likelier since he's not explicitly meant to be a pacifist. That is, assuming Deltarune gets finished in a timely manner, since the lack of a sequel is what killed Cuphead's chances.

Granted, a lot of people assumed :ultisabelle: was super-non-confrontational and she still got in, so what do I know? :drshrug:

Last edited:

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
But he's not the main character of the game. And even out of the major NPCs, Toriel and Flowey are more central to the overarching plot.

There's also the question of what character is most representative of Undertale as a whole. You, as Frisk, can technically fight your way to victory even in a Pacifist run of Undertale, as every random encounter is automatically spareable once their HP hits a low enough threshold. For non-Frisk options, most major characters have bossfights in both Neutral and Pacifist routes. Sans, though... literally only ever bothers to fight you when everyone else is already dead. It's arguably more IC for Frisk to be a fighter in Smash than it is for Sans to be one.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
So I'm just going to mention that I'm surprised nobody in here is talking about how Cuphead (as a franchise) got swiftly hit with the Spirit Board Of Death after Cuphead (as a character) had already been sent to Mii Costume Hell. So Cuphead as a character is double-deconfirmed. But the Sans costume has been out since September, and there's still no Undertale spirit board?

View attachment 262096
Just thinking about it.
You would think with Toby being a mostly one-man-band that getting a complimentary spirit board would be pretty easy, but somehow that has yet to pan out, while Cuphead got his just a couple weeks after his release. I'm trying not to read too much into this, since we only have two Mii Costumes of Sans'/Cuphead's caliber, but if, for example, we get to Challenger #6 or even #7 and we get another Mii Costume like this, and a spirit board drops for that character's franchise soon after, then I'm going to be a tad suspicious.

Hey, maybe the Sans' costume was just testing the waters? The fighters for the second Fighter's Pass was, at the latest, determined sometime during November when Byleth's overview was filmed (exactly when is unclear, as far as I know). Maybe during the time between Banjo and Byleth, the positive reception to the Sans' costume perhaps furthered discussions for an actual Undertale rep in Smash? This is an incredibly idealistic scenario, but again, Toby is a one-man-band, it's probably a lot easier to work things out with him than another studio (not that Smash has ever proven to have a problem with that, but it works in Toby's favor). It also helps that he can provide new remixes for his songs much like he did for the Megalovania remix.

Yeah, but you can't deny that they almost always go for the main character of a series first, out of politeness. And due to Tobyfox's stance on Smash representation, Kris would seem likelier since he's not explicitly meant to be a pacifist. That is, assuming Deltarune gets finished in a timely manner, since the lack of a sequel is what killed Cuphead's chances.
Could you link to whatever Toby said about Smash representation? I must've missed it or it must've been fairly recent and I'm out of the loop.

And, I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting this, but are you saying Kris has a better chance as being playable than Frisk or Sans? Or both? Referring to the former, I think Frisk can still work and avoid being full-pacifist. The game is all about exploring different options, so I'm sure the Smash team could make a perfect blend of pacifist/neutral/genocide behavior to represent the impact of player choice that Undertale emphasizes.

Could you also link to what was said about a game not being serialized hurting a character's chances? I haven't heard that before.

no

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Could you link to whatever Toby said about Smash representation? I must've missed it or it must've been fairly recent and I'm out of the loop.

And, I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting this, but are you saying Kris has a better chance as being playable than Frisk or Sans? Or both? Referring to the former, I think Frisk can still work and avoid being full-pacifist. The game is all about exploring different options, so I'm sure the Smash team could make a perfect blend of pacifist/neutral/genocide behavior to represent the impact of player choice that Undertale emphasizes.

Could you also link to what was said about a game not being serialized hurting a character's chances? I haven't heard that before.

no
Again, being a pacifist apparently isn't an obstacle. If they can make it work in a way that doesn't go against Undertale's message, they will. I probably misinterpreted things due to general fan consensus about Undertale's message, seeing as Toby likes Smash Bros enough to reference it in Deltarune.

Also...

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/

The character must carry game history with them.
Which, as far as Smash 4 was concerned, apparently meant "at least two games or more". :ultbayonetta:

Sure, one could argue having a successful sales impact at launch, but that didn't really help Astral Chain's Akira Howard.

Last edited:

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
The smash speculation cycle is stressful, between the Discourse and the leaker drama and all that BS, so I'm probably not participating in the main speculation thread anymore. (#5 sure did turn out to be Byleth huh. At least it;s a big point in favor of Protagonist Privilege being a real thing.)

View attachment 262096
Just thinking about it.
I don't keep track with spirits so I am completely unaware of this. This does strike me as funny

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Again, being a pacifist apparently isn't an obstacle. If they can make it work in a way that doesn't go against Undertale's message, they will. I probably misinterpreted things due to general fan consensus about Undertale's message, seeing as Toby likes Smash Bros enough to reference it in Deltarune.

Also...

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/

Which, as far as Smash 4 was concerned, apparently meant "at least two games or more". :ultbayonetta:

Sure, one could argue having a successful sales impact at launch, but that didn't really help Astral Chain's Akira Howard.
I see... the Undertale “series” is in a weird spot, as it had one game and one sequel/prequel/neither/etc currently in development, and we’re not sure if that gives Undertale a pass or delays any possible inclusion until it finishes production. Although the article this rule pulls from is from 2015 (and the quote itself from 2007), so it’s possible Sakurai’s stance has changed on this, but it so far seems most likely not, looking at all of Ultimate’s third parties thus far, base and DLC.

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
I see... the Undertale “series” is in a weird spot, as it had one game and one sequel/prequel/neither/etc currently in development, and we’re not sure if that gives Undertale a pass or delays any possible inclusion until it finishes production. Although the article this rule pulls from is from 2015 (and the quote itself from 2007), so it’s possible Sakurai’s stance has changed on this, but it so far seems most likely not, looking at all of Ultimate’s third parties thus far, base and DLC.
I mean... didn't Shulk get into SSB4 before any sequels or spinoffs to Xenoblade were actually released? Xenoblade Chronicles X was announced in 2013, but it didn't come out until 2015 - a year after Shulk was already in the base game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Edit: For those curious about the Kris costume rumor, here is the post in question. Take it with a grain of salt.
https://smashboards.com/profile-posts/978628/

Shovel Knight in particular suffered badly from it, seeing as his game's DLC was delayed enough that he got an AT and an actual decent set of spirits.

I mean... didn't Shulk get into SSB4 before any sequels or spinoffs to Xenoblade were actually released? Xenoblade Chronicles X was announced in 2013, but it didn't come out until 2015 - a year after Shulk was already in the base game.
Third parties tend to be under more scrutiny under the rule, since, as said in the article, not just anyone and everyone can join. Stuff more directly owned by Nintendo that gets in are usually special or unusual cases when it happens. :ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt: So far, with Nintendo running the DLC choices, they seem to adhere to it as well.

Also, Sak liked Xenoblade at the time, which certainly explains him having to profusely apologise for XB2's Rex getting consigned into a Mii costume due to poor timing for the base game period/early DLC. I don't know if he was informed about early plans for XBX, although it wouldn't surprise me since he's often informed about Pokémon concepts before their games are out.

Last edited:

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Weeell, a recent development that may be in Frisk/an Undertale rep's favor: an ARMS character is confirmed for Challenger Pack 6. ARMS as a franchise, as far as I can tell, consists of only one game. Not sure how far this extends to third parties, whether or not this was an exception for the first party franchise that Nintendo may have thought desperately needed a second chance via a playable rep, but the UNDERTALE "series" only consisting of one game at this time may or may not be a blow against it any longer. Only time will tell...

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
Huh... Suspicious indeed.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I personaly think as a full fighter Frisk is the better Choice(I am completly okay with sans as Costume)
I dont really like the they Proun so i will use he(Im fully aware that no one knows Frisks Gender/sex)
ther is a Video on Youtube made by Bawlfan1 about Frisk its a really good watch
I also wont reffrences Undertale Fangames
-_- more coming soon, maybe, eh dont count on it

HeyImBlue

Smash Rookie
The Case For Frisk:

This is an interesting one. After Sans' inclusion as a Deluxe Mii, most everyone has written Frisk off as impossible or unlikely due to the simple logic of "Why would they not save the Sans costume for when Frisk is a fighter?" Well, I have a counter to that, but first, I want to list what Frisk has going for them, and why Frisk is a lot more possible than you might initially think.

Part 1 - Toby Fox x Nintendo:

Usually, Nintendo has a history of only doing major collaborations with AAA studios. Microsoft, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Koei Tecmo, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc. Even when Nintendo works with other indie developers, it's usually nowhere near the same as other AAA developers. The most they've done is work with Studio MDHR to bring a Cuphead Deluxe Costume and Floral Fury. There is, however, one major exception to this rule, and that is Toby Fox. Nintendo has done collaborations with Toby on the same level as AAA developers. They got Toby on board to compose the entire soundtrack to Little Town Hero, got him to compose for Pokemon Sword and Shield (aka: the biggest media franchise of all time), got him to help on the Mother book by Itoi, and now tying into Smash, included Sans as a Deluxe Mii. Now, you'd think that with all this work, they'd include Undertale Spirits alongside the Sans costume, I mean, they did do this with Cuphead, but nothing. Nothing when the Sans costume was released, nothing when Undertale had it's 5th anniversary, not anything. And this ties in to my next segment.

Part 2 - That's The Spirit... not:

Despite the relationship between Toby Fox and Nintendo, we've had 0 in terms of Undertale spirits. We got some Cuphead spirits less than a month after his Mii Costume debut, so what gives? The same did not happen for Sans, heck, we got 0 for the game's 5th anniversary. It's been over a year, and nothing. The two met IRL, you can't tell me they didn't consider more content. Sakurai considered Toby Fox a "guest" when talking about the Sans costume, why not some measly PNGs? Unless, they're saving those spirits for a DLC fighter pack. And before anyone uses the "Astral Chain got spirits 5 months after the game's release!" argument, 5 months and 14 months are quite the time difference. It happened with Byleth, why not Frisk?

Part 3 - Debunking Arguments Against Frisk:

"The Sans Costume would have come with Frisk!"

This is an argument I see a lot, so let me put it to rest. First, the Sans Costume was added in September 2019. Volume 2 was finalized in November 2019. With how small Toby's team is, I could see Nintendo having the Sans costume in Sept 2019, and then in Oct 2019, contacting Toby for Frisk in Vol. 2. The decision factors that go into each set of newcomers are different. So they could contact Toby for more Undertale content, just like how they seemed out more ARMS content, despite the game already having Spring Man as an assist trophy and Spring Man/Ribbon Girl Mii Costumes.

"Frisk is a Pacifist! They can't have a moveset!"

One, Isabelle. Two, Undertale is not inherently a pacifist game. It does recommend pacifism, but Undertale is all about the choices you make. Maybe you could have Frisk's moveset have a Pacifist and Genocide meter mechanic, which definitely fits in to the pass's theme of making movesets that challenge Smash's control scheme.

"Frisk's name is a spoiler to the Pacifist ending!"

And Megalovania/Gaster Blasters are a spoiler to the Genocide ending. Toby does not care about spoilers, and even if he did, you can just name them "Human" or "Fallen Child" if it's that serious.

Ornl

Smash Ace
The Case For Frisk:
Thank you for this presentation.
I've been one of the detractors since Sans appeared, and I think I can give better arguments against Frisk. Sorry for that, this is only an invitation to think.
Obstacle #1 – Sakurai said : "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen".* Undertale isn't even a series (nor a single game with updates).
Obstacle #2 – The Costume really weakens the chances. All third party newcomer are from series that are never appearing in one form or another in Smash. Even the costumes of Geno, Heihachi, Lloyd and Monster Hunter in Sm4sh haven't been upgraded as Fighters (!). Can we imagine Undertale getting better preferential treatment than Tekken or Monster Hunter ?
Obstacle #3 – Frisk does'nt have a status of icon. The iconic ones are Sans and Megalovania, and they're already in Smash. Sans takes the most important place in the hearts of fans. How could Frisk be well received by the whole community and casual players when there are only 4 slots left? If he wasn't already as a Costume, I imagine Sans as a Fighter could have been greeted with fun, but can we imagine Frisk could do so well ?

Bonus – the fact that it lacks Undertale spirits is double-edged: if Frisk had been in Spirit, could we imagine her coming in DLC? The answer is subjective, but this question allows us to consider a character's chances from another point of view. This "question about Porky" method can be applied to many other characters: Arle Nadja, Crash Bandicoot, Dante, Doomguy, Farmer (Story of Seasons), Lloyd Irving, Master Chief, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Ryu Hayabusa, Sora... Would we have as much interest for one of these characters if he had been a spirit?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I have some Costume Ideas for Frisk

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Do you know Chara actually doesnt have a Knife.
In Pazifist its called Worn Dagger considiring that the "Knife" is a Gift from Toriel its propably just Chara playin (to be fair very evil) Pretend!
It can also be interpreted that Chara isn’t truly evil, only turning mad/corrupted with power if the player does Genocide - and even then, they seem mad at you when you do Genocide a second time, thinking you’re perverted and suggesting you take a different route as they think you’re doing it for fun (so still mad/evil now but implying the player made them that way - the bad actions they did with Asriel were unintentional, aside from wanting to go all out on the humans in the village though after they attacked Asriel).

The NarraChara theory also implies this but of course, as it’s just a theory, it may not be true, it just makes sense imo as I don’t see why they’d only be narrating in Genocide (especially since a bit of Neutral/Pacifist dialogue implies the narrator is another character talking to you or Frisk) + Frisk appears to receive a few of their memories in Neutral/Pacifist.

I guess basically they just sort of parallel the player. Temmie Chang also said Chara is chill, though I don’t think Toby Fox has said anything about them; he seems to avoid anything about Chara/the first human, aside from some more-recent merchandise (a vinyl cover) featuring an image of the first human falling down. I believe I read that Toby once said no characters in Undertale are truly evil, however I don’t remember where I read this and there wasn’t any proof iirc though it makes sense.

Top Bottom