• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
They are attracted to the flame like a moth. It looks so easy to punish, but it just isn't. I wish I would have recorded my matches yesterday where I did it a couple times.

Plus it's the hypest option which should always be the first priority.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I don't have nearly as much experience with Roy as I do with Ike, but I'd give it dead even. Both have a good number of kill moves and good combo game, especially off of grabs. Roy is certainly more mobile than Ike and has an easier time landing thanks to his fall speed and Nair, but that same quality means his recovery is hot garbage and he can't edgeguard as well when he plummets like a rock offstage. Meanwhile, Ike both has greater reach and is mostly able to inflict consistent, heavy damage no matter where an enemy is within his attack range, but he has no real answers to getting juggled, usually can't attempt more than one attack per jump, and his smashes are much more unwieldy. Both are capable of going ham on opponents but neither are really capable of forcing an opening due to leaving themselves open if they don't space well. Ike has more kill options, but Roy's Blazer gives him an OoS kill option Ike doesn't have.
Yeah that's why I'm stuck. I mained Ike for a while back in Brawl but I also mained Roy in Melee for a good amount of time.

Roy seems to be a much more ground oriented character as well, while Ike's a little more balanced between ground and aerial attacks. Ike also has superior weight and better survivability which is extremely enticing to me. Idk tough choices.

Thanks for the reply. Just trying to get a general idea now that I know Ike is extremely viable in this game now.

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
So what ? I would love Ike to be Overpowered character for once, it's OK for Sheik to be that OP but it's not OK for Ike ?
I don't think it's okay for any character to be overpowered. Having one character stand so far above the rest centralizes the metagame too much, and having everyone be overpowered makes power creep hit the meta super hard.

Ike after 1.0.8 is in a pretty good place. Speed increases and reduced lag on a lot of his moves have made him a much smoother character and dash attack's new power adds another tool to his punish game. He doesn't really need the extra armor.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
He still has some glaring weaknesses, Dair's still so bad and Aether really needs more armor frames or ledgesnap capabilities, but there are some characters on the roster who still sorely need a good buffing. Palutena, for instance.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
He still has some glaring weaknesses, Dair's still so bad and Aether really needs more armor frames or ledgesnap capabilities, but there are some characters on the roster who still sorely need a good buffing. Palutena, for instance.
She already has in-game buffs through Super Speed and Lightweight. That's the most Sakurai will give her, I'd say. If customs are banned from tourneys, then she'll go down with them.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
She already has in-game buffs through Super Speed and Lightweight. That's the most Sakurai will give her, I'd say. If customs are banned from tourneys, then she'll go down with them.
Nah, that back air can be fixed.

I feel like some of his move should have some type of super armor like Eruption on a certain frame and actually fixing his counter

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Ike needs the armor on Eruption and Aether at the least, aslong you are not going to let ledge snap backward Aether, and it's not like I asked for Armor on his Smash attacks (which will be an overkill)

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Ike needs the armor on Eruption and Aether at the least, aslong you are not going to let ledge snap backward Aether, and it's not like I asked for Armor on his Smash attacks (which will be an overkill)
He has armor on both moves. Especially eruption since I ignored a Aura Sphere while using it

Arrei

Smash Lord
Eruption needs to be charged to max power before it gains armor, so three seconds of standing in one spot like a putz minimum. The only time that becomes useful is if someone tries to challenge you while you're edgeguarding, and you won't usually get the opportunity against the majority of characters' recoveries. As for Aether, the startup on that move is so lengthy and it only gets armor for a short amount of that startup. I don't understand the balancing behind that. I'm okay with getting sucker punched out of the jump since that's the same vulnerability most recoveries have against experienced edgeguarders, but getting smacked out of the sword toss is just pushing it on top of not being able to sweetspot the ledge.

On the subject of armored smashes, I actually wonder if a few armor frames are just what Fsmash needs to be viable while keeping it the same move. It'd completely slipped my mind before, I'd just gotten totally used to it being so bad. It's as slow as Dedede's to startup, but less powerful and even laggier. Less powerful than Ganondorf's and Bowser's Fsmashes, slower than both.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
75 percent for eruption. The sword drop always has armor iirc. Aether has pitiful armor frames

Arrei

Smash Lord
Well, the attack deals the full damage starting from 3/4 of the way through, that's what I meant by max power. The sword drop doesn't get armor before that point anymore, which led me to wonder just what they intended Eruption to be able to do before we discovered the ledge vulnerability mechanic.

Does Eruption still do the most knockback when released just before the recoil point?

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
He has armor on both moves. Especially eruption since I ignored a Aura Sphere while using it
I know that, which is quite pitiful! I want armor upon release or less ending lag, both will help the edgeguarding game, and Aether need a super amour upon descend, it's really not funny when a beginner Lucina or Marth player gimp you because they time the counter well, I don't mind Mario's cape/flood because it requires a bit more work to use and better timing.

LordWilliam1234

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
7820-3654-7995
Updated my frame data sheet for Ike. Now has stuff for his custom moves, his throws/pummel, and updated for his 1.08 changes.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
Went to a new weekly for the first time today, new crowd, etc. Was in the first bracket match on stream. Almost immediately I SD'd. Did aether instead of quickdraw trying to get back. Worst part was that it was pretty close to the stage too.

Second match I switched to Lucina and SD'd again after a sick stage spike because I dolphin slashed in the wrong direction.

Next round in losers bracket I SD'd a third time, again with Ike.

I was way out of it today.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Went to a new weekly for the first time today, new crowd, etc. Was in the first bracket match on stream. Almost immediately I SD'd. Did aether instead of quickdraw trying to get back. Worst part was that it was pretty close to the stage too.

Second match I switched to Lucina and SD'd again after a sick stage spike because I dolphin slashed in the wrong direction.

Next round in losers bracket I SD'd a third time, again with Ike.

I was way out of it today.
Your avatar looks perfect for this! :p

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
Thanks haha

On the bright side I did win a few games in losers bracket.

On another note, I finally decided to play my first Fire Emblem game. I've had Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn sitting around my house for years since my brother bought them way back in the day and never played them. Playing them now makes me never want to stop playing as Ike, and makes the past seven years of playing as him feel right.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Thanks haha

On the bright side I did win a few games in losers bracket.

On another note, I finally decided to play my first Fire Emblem game. I've had Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn sitting around my house for years since my brother bought them way back in the day and never played them. Playing them now makes me never want to stop playing as Ike, and makes the past seven years of playing as him feel right.
Lucky. I wanted to start with a Tellius game, but didn't have one. So like most people nowadays I started with Awakening. While I did enjoy it. Radiant Dawn was so much better. Story, character development, difficulty, and forced perma-death made it so much better. Hopefully I'm going to replay for the 3rd time on a higher difficulty. I also recommend saving certain levels in extra slots so you can replay them. That's what I'm going to do for the endgame.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Radiant Daaaaawn <3 my favourite game of all time. I've done more than a dozen playthroughs of the game, used almost every character, done self imposed challenges, got all of the special goodies like hidden characters and cutscenes and I've killed enemies in levels that aren't likely to be killed. The story, the gameplay, the music, the characters are all so good. Graphics are a bit lacking but that applies to every 3D FE game. Awakening may be the more mainstream one but it will never compare to the beauty that is Radiant Dawn <3

Kay...fangasm is over ^^;

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I wish I finished Path of Radiance a few years ago. It's hard to find and is very expensive nowadays...

Anyway, what are everybody's thoughts and opinions on Sacred Stones? ^-^

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I still have pure hate for RD. I just don't like how up and down the difficulty goes in this game and the story is piss garbage

And last Micaiah is the worst lord in the series

Yep worst than :4feroy:

Bad in the game and even worst in the story especially how much she was an a-hole she was. Thank God Ike saved the game

Arrei

Smash Lord
I just didn't like how RD's story demanded a second playthrough just to get the full plot. What does that even make the first playthrough's events, some kind of "bad end" where people you could have saved died?

Also Micaiah can't be worst Lord because Eirika exists

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
I just didn't like how RD's story demanded a second playthrough just to get the full plot. What does that even make the first playthrough's events, some kind of "bad end" where people you could have saved died?

Also Micaiah can't be worst Lord because Eirika exists
It gives you an excuse to play the game more than once. They actually did it in some past FE titles.

What I didn't like about RD are the crappy supports. Other than that I enjoyed everything about it.(Altough 3rd tier skills are way too overpowerd but then again almost every boss in part 5 has Nihil :/)

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I actually enjoyed Micaiah. She is one of my favorite lords in the series and turned out amazing for me. As for the occult skills, I'm actually quite fond of them. Sure their effects are hideously overpowered, but ,it's of them have a low trigger rate to balance out. Except Luna. Luna was broken even for an occult skill.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ya I had no problems with Micaiah either plot wise or stats wise. Stat wises she absolutely destroys Roy and Leaf. Like, no contest, she curbstomps them in terms of usefulness.

Plot wise, I actually kinda liked having a Lord with flaws in their character. Willing to go a bit too far to try to protect her country. It could have been executed better, but we still got the elements to fit.

RD also by far had the best maps in the series. Amazing variety in design and win conditions. I liked the switching parties, I meant I got to use a lot more characters in one playthrough than normal without worrying about wasting XP on people I wasn't going to bring to the endgame.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Ya I had no problems with Micaiah either plot wise or stats wise. Stat wises she absolutely destroys Roy and Leaf. Like, no contest, she curbstomps them in terms of usefulness.

Plot wise, I actually kinda liked having a Lord with flaws in their character. Willing to go a bit too far to try to protect her country. It could have been executed better, but we still got the elements to fit.

RD also by far had the best maps in the series. Amazing variety in design and win conditions. I liked the switching parties, I meant I got to use a lot more characters in one playthrough than normal without worrying about wasting XP on people I wasn't going to bring to the endgame.
Yes. I started Radiant Dawn not expecting to like Micaiah and like Ike, but after I finished it I actually felt the opposite. While Ike relatable, he was too perfect. Within the story of Radiant Dawn, Ike doesn't develop as a character. Every defeat Ike had was never his own fault. While I like Ike, he never had the development Micaiah had and that hurt not only his character, but the story's potential as well.

Micaiah, on the other hand, both succeeds and fails, both of with she is responsible for. Part 1 highlight her strengths as a character, while Part 3 they develop her immensely. We see her internal struggle, knowing what she is doing is wrong, but continues to do it out of loyalty to her country. She resorts to immoral tactics to protect her country and people. Eventually the stress what she is doing become so unbearable she almost falls into a coma. My favorite example of her development is Part 3 Chapter 12. She attempts to assassinate Sanaki with an oil fire and boulders and kills thousands in the process. She would have even succeeded in killing Sanaki if it weren't for Tibarn's threatening Micaiah with Sothe's life. This situation caused Micaiah to lose her already fragile composure, and despair when Tibarn dropped Sothe. Micaiah later regains her will when she learns of the blood pact and is then able to stand up against the Apostle's Army. It's a shame that this kind of development wasn't more present in Radiant Dawn. The only other characters to experience this development are Sanaki and Sephiran.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Ike's finished with his growth by the time RD comes around, and he wasn't a very deep character to begin with. He fights for his friends, that's Ike in a nutshell. Really the only story Ike gets in RD is a small look into his backstory, and closure to his rivalry with the Black Knight. I don't know if you guys are aware, but the original Japanese script apparently had Burger King survive his encounter from the first game because his warp powder malfunctioned and what Ike fought was just an empty shell. The localization changed it to the much less nonsensical holding back excuse.

I think the occult skills are really just a replacement for critical hits at that point in the game, effectively giving everyone a 20-30% chance to trigger a crit. Though the mages kind of got screwed over with no damage multiplier on Flare and Corona...

I'd forgotten RD didn't have real supports. I really didn't like that.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Ike isn't even perfect. He has a good heart and fights for what he believes in, which just so happens to be the right side in a really obvious war. He only fights in PoR because he has the same viewpoint as Elincia and because of the mercenary contract.

Ike is a mercenary, for the right price he will fight on your side as long as he doesn't see you as evil.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I'm aware of that. I still like Ike, it's just his character development pales in comparison to Micaiah. Ike already developed mostly in PoR and he is still a strong enough character to play his role well. If Intelligent Systems developed Ike like they did Micaiah, then the RD's already great story would have been even better.

I don't know if you guys are aware, but the original Japanese script apparently had Burger King survive his encounter from the first game because his warp powder malfunctioned and what Ike fought was just an empty shell.
I didn't know Ike fought the Burger King in PoR, or that Burger King was even in Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I actually really like the support system in RD. Having duel Earth affinities is cheap as all hell up until the final bosses of the game where it's useless. I can understand why people prefer the other support system since it builds character but most of the characters already got that in PoR and the ones that didn't just get the short end of the stick. Another problem with the support system is how bias some of the affinities are. As I said, Earth is practically broken since having 1 at A rank can get you +30 avoid and having 2 gets you +45 avoid! While Wind gets you a little bit of avoid and hit and Heaven gets you a lot of hit and pretty much every character that has Heaven, doesn't need it.

I also really enjoy the alternation between Micaiah's group in part 1, to Elincia's in part 2, back to Micaiah's a bit and adding Ike in part 3 and finally part 4 has everyone. It makes you have to respect characters you'd otherwise quickly abandon. Why use Zihark when Mia starts at a higher level, fights higher leveled enemies and doesn't have to deal with the high accuracy laguz? Because Zihark is one of the best units Micaiah's team gets access to. Granted, you can send him over to Ike's side which is really useful if you plan on bringing him to the endgame or if you just want to make Micaiah's chapters in part 3 more difficult.

I also love how exploitable the shifting around of characters can be in that game. Give Ilyana the Brave Sword before endgame of part 1 and you can have Mia or Ike use it in part 3. Give the Brave Lance to Marcia in chapter 3 (I think) part 2 and you can then give it to Haar who can then proceed to give it to anyone on Ike's team. Later, in part 3 you can do the same thing with Jill and/or Zihark.

There's also a good amount of exploitable grinding for anyone who wants to make use of it. Laura is easy to grind with at the beginning with any enemy that stays still and Micaiah can grind with her with Sacrifice. Micaiah, Ilyana and Laura at 2nd tier can grind on any priests, especially if you have Nailah Glare them. That prison level in part 1 is really good for grinding ESPECIALLY for Muarim and Vika. Endgame of part 1 is similar with Jarod. Heather can get to level 20 Whisper in part 2 thanks to an exploit in enemy Rogue ai along with stealing. The biggest exploit and the one I use the most is Unforgivable Sin, the final chapter before the endgame of part 4. A large amount of spawning laguz (not infinite) that give high exp and a good starting defensive position. You can put most units on Hawk Army and thanks to the way the convoy works, you can have any skill and any weapons you want at that point, plus you should have enough gold to buy whatever you may need. On my current playthrough, I got Aran from level 13 Halberdier to level 9 Sentinel and I'm not even done that chapter yet!

Sorry for what is essentially a 'blog' in regards to RD rather than Ike in Sm4sh ^^; I nerd the **** out waaaay too much when it comes to RD.

Top Bottom