• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fraymakers - an indie crossover platform fighter from the people behind the Super Smash Flash games

Which character are you most looking forward to?

• Ultra Fishbunjin 3000

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Welltaro

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Orcane

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Commander Video

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Octodad

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • The Watcher

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm going to copy the Kickstarter description for this one.

"Fraymakers is a full-featured modular platform fighter from McLeodGaming, the creators of Super Smash Flash 2, the most popular Smash Bros. fangame on PC. It features a main cast of beautifully sprited and hand-animated characters, detailed stages from their worlds, and a massive selection of assists from a broad selection of indie titles! [...]

If that’s not enough for you, Fraymakers will be released simultaneously with FrayTools, the robust custom tool we're using to build the core content of the game itself, at no extra charge! Using FrayTools, not only can you build your own characters, you can also create assists, stages, menus, modes and more using a program that’s designed to make the experience as efficient, user-friendly and versatile as possible. Your options for new gameplay experiences are limited only by your imagination...or for the less creatively inclined, by your download speed."

Basically, it's an indie-themed Smash Bros.-like game mixed with the creativity of MUGEN.

The roster currently consists of Commander Video (Bit.Trip Runner), Octodad (Octodad), Orcane (Rivals of Aether), Ultra Fishbunjin 3000 (Slap City), the Watcher (Slay the Spire), and Welltaro (Downwell), along with three currently unknown characters in the base game and one currently unknown DLC character. The game is currently estimated to have a PC release in 2022, and a Switch release later.

Did you help back the game? What characters, stages, or assists do you want to see? How are you going to use the FrayTools?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Backer surveys are out now for Fraymakers. If you backed it, you get to enter up to five indie characters that you'd like to see as playable characters in the game, along with up to five assists. This was who I voted for:

I was tempted to put Shovel Knight instead of the Goose, but I figure that he'll likely have a lot of votes regardless of whether or not I put him. There was a section towards the end about what else you wanted to include, so I suggested a stage based on Runbow, even if it isn't tied to any characters.

If there were room for more characters, I'm sure that there were plenty of other playable characters that I could have included, but it's hard to narrow a list down to five when there are so many options.

EDIT: here's a template for the wishlist, thanks to a user (Valef0rt) on Discord: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/774790887820886026/793259592700264448/Wishlist.png

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm going to try to keep this thread active by posting hypothetical movesets from time to time. I was originally planning to make movesets like this into a video, but I have no idea where to start when it comes to making videos, so I'll just stick with text posts for now. (I might turn these into videos eventually if it winds up being easier than I think, but I didn't want all of this to go to waste)

Even if the character in question doesn't make it into the game, Fraymakers is pretty much like MUGEN, so people could make the character if they have the sprites. (I'm not sure how big the sprites are in Fraymakers compared to other games) Plus, I figure it works as a way to introduce people to games that they might not have played yet.

I'm going to assume that, moveset-wise, the game's going to be pretty similar to any Smash game but the original - if we find out that it's not as time goes on, I'll make changes to reflect that. I've already written out movesets for a few indie characters (Miriam from Bloodstained, Zagreus from Hades, the Goose from Untitled Goose Game, Ori from Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps) in their respective Smash support threads, but I'll try to rework them if necessary if I post them here.

My first character will be arguably one of the biggest indie game success stories out there...

Shovel Knight
Appeared in: Shovel Knight (2014)
Developer: Yacht Club Games​

For those who are unaware, Shovel Knight is an NES-inspired platformer, taking inspiration from games like the Mega Man franchise, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and DuckTales (Woo-hoo!). The game follows Shovel Knight as he seeks to rescue his lost partner Shield Knight from the Tower of Fate. In order to get there and save Shield Knight, he needs to defeat the Enchantress and the eight knights known as the Order of No Quarter.

The game was one of the earlier examples of a Kickstarter success story. Funding began on March 15, 2013, and lasted for about a month – the initial goal was seventy-five thousand dollars, but it managed to raise roughly four times the amount that was needed, enough to cover all of its stretch goals! The game released in June 2014, but the developers weren’t done – not by a long shot. Over the next five years, they worked tirelessly to fulfill every stretch goal, producing three new campaigns and a Smash Bros.-styled multiplayer mode, along with amiibos, books, and various other forms of merchandise.

Shovel Knight has made a lot of appearances in such a short time frame. Aside from his own game, he’s appeared in Indie Pogo, Rivals of Aether, Blade Strangers, Runbow, Blaster Master Zero, Bit.Trip Runner 3, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Yooka-Laylee, Azure Striker Gunvolt 2… He’s even showed up in Super Smash Bros., for crying out loud! At this point, it seems almost contractually obligated that, if you’re making an indie crossover, Shovel Knight’s going to show up at some point, which is why he’s first on my list.

I’ll be drawing from his original game for moveset options, as well as Rivals of Aether and Indie Pogo. Seeing as he’s appeared in… what feels like half of the major indie games made since 2013, honestly, that means I probably won’t have to stretch too much to come up with what he can do.

---

Shovel Knight’s default palette is his standard blue armour, but alternate palettes can include the green armour that the Custom Knight defaults to, the red Final Guard suit, the purple Conjurer’s coat, the silver Dynamo Mail, the black and red Mail of Momentum, a brown palette based on the Shovel Smith, and of course, the golden Ornate Plate. Unlike in Shovel Knight, these won't change his abilities for the sake of simplicity. (I'm not sure if they'd be able to directly reference Kratos or the Battletoads through the armours that he gets from them, so I left them out)

For Shovel Knight’s stage, there are quite a few options to work with. As the first stage associated with the Order of No Quarter, I think I’ll go with Pridemoor Keep, the lair of King Knight. I’m not sure how invasive the stage hazards are in this game, though to keep it simple, I’ll go with Propeller Rats flying onto the stage and trying to run into players.

Shovel Knight arrives on stage the same way that he does at the start of each level in Shovel Knight – he leaps on-stage before raising his shovel in the air as a little jingle plays.

---

BASIC ATTACKS

I’m working under the assumption that the game plays similarly to Smash games post-Melee – regular and Smash attacks determined by directional inputs (though I assume Smash attacks will be called something else), five aerial attacks, four special attacks, and a throw. I’m not sure if characters will have more than one throw, ledge climbing attacks, or attacks when they get up from being knocked down, but I’ll assume that those are in there.

Shovel Knight’s neutral attack has him swinging his shovel horizontally – pretty straightforward. His forward attack has him pull out the Dust Knuckles to punch twice, moving himself forward slightly as he does so. As for his up attack, Shovel Knight thrusts his shovel straight up into the air. His ducking attack has him swing his shovel at the ground, like he’s digging up dirt.

Shovel Knight’s forward smash equivalent is the charge slash – he charges up before swinging with greater force and range than normal. For his up smash equivalent, he lobs a clod of dirt into the air, which acts like Snake’s mortar from Smash Bros., minus the explosion. As for his down smash equivalent, he faces the screen and digs, pulling up clods of dirt and gems that fly to either side of him. (unlike in Rivals of Aether, the gems are purely cosmetic)

Shovel Knight’s neutral and forward aerials are similar to their grounded counterparts – he swings his shovel horizontally and punches forward with the Dust Knuckles, respectively. His back air attack has him turn around and swing his shovel downwards, smacking whoever he hits towards the ground. For Shovel Knight’s up air attack, he holds the propeller dagger above his head, launching himself a bit higher into the air. His down air attack is, of course, the pogo motion that the entire game was based around. Holding his shovel beneath him, Shovel Knight bounces off of whatever enemy or projectile he hits. (or some stage hazards, like the barbecue on Octodad's stage or the Propeller Rats on his own stage)

If Shovel Knight attacks while dashing, he launches himself forward with a headbutt, like he does when using the Battletoads armour, only without the giant ram horns. As he climbs back onto the stage, he jabs with the Dust Knuckles. If he attacks while getting to his feet, he pulls out the Flareo Rod, creating a close-range series of explosions around himself to knock enemies away. (the explosions don’t damage Shovel Knight)

For his grab, Shovel Knight grabs the opponent with his free hand and pummels them by smacking them with the Shovel Blade. Shovel Knight isn’t much of a grappler, and neither Rivals of Aether nor Indie Pogo has throws, so these will be based on Blade Strangers for the most part. Shovel Knight’s forward throw has him ram into his opponent shoulder-first. His back throw has him scoop his opponent up with his shovel and toss them over his shoulder, while his up throw has him fling the opponent into the air with his shovel like they’re a block of dirt. As for his down throw, he slams them into the ground.

While it's not technically an attack, it's worth mentioning that when Shovel Knight dodges or rolls, he uses the Phase Locket.

---

SPECIALS

When it comes to Shovel Knight’s specials, I’m going to try to keep them simple. Rivals of Aether added a whole currency system just for Shovel Knight, but I don’t know how crazy or in-depth Fraymakers is going to get with its gimmicks, so I’ll play it safe.

For his neutral special, Shovel Knight uses Flare Wand. It’s pretty straight forward – he shoots a fireball directly ahead of himself. It’s Shovel Knight’s special move in Shovel Knight Showdown, and the first relic that he gets, so it seemed fitting to include it here.

Shovel Knight’s side special uses the Propeller Dagger. This move can be charged to increase its distance and range, though charging it for too long can easily send you flying off of the stage! It’s pretty much the same as it was in Rivals of Aether.

For his up special, I’m going to use one of the Custom Knight relics, which is also used as a recovery in Rivals of Aether. Swinging the Tow Anchor, Shovel Knight hangs onto it and rides it into the air. He moves in an arc, hitting whoever gets in his way, and he won't let go until he hits the ground or falls down a bottomless pit.

For his down special, Shovel Knight throws the Buzzsaw Boomerang, another Custom Knight relic. Throwing it out, it loops around in a circle around Shovel Knight before returning to his hand. When he’s on the ground, the boomerang travels above him, while in mid-air, the boomerang travels below him.

For Shovel Knight’s Super Attack… I’ll be honest, we don’t know much about how Super Attacks will work in Fraymakers at this point, but I’m assuming that they’re going to act like Final Smashes in Smash Bros. With that in mind, I’m going with the Relic that costs the most magic, which happens to fill the same sort of role in Indie Pogo and Blade Strangers – the War Horn. Pulling out the horn, Shovel Knight blows into it, creating large circular shockwaves that launch anyone who’s hit off in all directions.

---

MUSIC

It’s unclear how they’re handling music in this game, but with three different composers, I’m assuming there’s going to be at least three different tracks? Maybe I’m wrong and it will turn out that we only get one track that’s remixed three different ways, or more than three tracks, but for now, I’ll stick with three.

There are a lot of options to choose from when it comes to Shovel Knight, but if I had to pick three of them, I’d go with the following.

-Main Theme

-Strike the Earth! Plains of Passage

-In the Halls of the Usurper

Assuming that Fraymakers has victory screens similar to Smash Bros., Shovel Knight’s victory theme will be For Shovelry, the tune that plays when he defeats a boss.

For possible victory animations, Shovel Knight could raise his shovel into the air similar to his intro, which he does after beating a boss in the original game or winning a match in Shovel Knight Showdown. Alternatively, he could catch Shield Knight out of the sky, like he almost does during dream sequences or actually does at the end of the game. For a third win screen, he could lie down near a campfire and fall asleep, which he does after each boss battle.

---

Shovel Knight's moveset was pretty easy to make - it helps that he's been in at least three different platform fighters already, if you include Shovel Knight Showdown, so it's not like I was short on material. I'm concerned that I borrowed a bit too heavily from Rivals of Aether, though I think I changed enough that it didn't wind up being an exact copy. (I couldn't help it for the up special - the only other move that gives Shovel Knight vertical movement, as far as I can tell, is a variation on the Propeller Dagger, and I didn't want to have that take up two specials) Honestly, I'm a little surprised that he isn't in this game already.

I'm willing to take suggestions or requests when it comes to characters, though there are some cases (like Shantae) where I haven't played the games in question (though I'm willing to try - I just need to find the time, since the early game seems like it will be difficult no matter which Shantae game I go with), and others (like with Five Nights at Freddy's) where I have no interest in the genre. (I don't like jumpscares)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Nice set!

Seriously, though. I think its way overdue for a different Shovel Knight character to get a big cameo role. I would main Plague Knight if he got in...
Yeah, that seems like a fairly common consensus, at least going by the backer Discord - plenty of people want to see King Knight, Plague Knight, or Spectre Knight instead, from what I've seen. I'm not sure how likely it is (to use Smash as an example, it seems like if CP9 was Coco or Dr. Cortex instead of Crash Bandicoot), but I should probably play the other campaigns to see what those characters are like. (I've only played a bit of them in Shovel Knight Showdown)

Then again, I know nothing about Slay the Spire, and next to nothing about Slap City, so maybe something like that has already happened with those games. (I'm not sure if Slap City has a main character, but maybe the Watcher and Ultra Fishbunjin 3000 got in over another character because of their popularity)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've written up my second moveset; I'm hoping to at least cover four characters that seem like no-brainers for this game. (I figure at least one of them should make it in, barring any sort of rights issues)

Shantae
Appeared in: Shantae (2002), Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (2014), Shantae and the Seven Sirens (2019)
Developer: WayForward
The Shantae series has had a long and winding road to becoming one of the faces of indie games. The first game was originally going to be released on the Super Nintendo, but it eventually came out on the Game Boy Color as a Capcom-published title. It was a solid platforming game with highly-praised animation, but it was released in 2002, a year after the Game Boy Advance came out, so it sold poorly. It got a sequel, Risky’s Revenge, in 2010 on the DSiWare, but the series really hit its stride with Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse in 2014. The plots in the Shantae games generally involve Shantae having to save Sequin Land from various threats, often including pirates such as her arch-nemesis Risky Boots.

Pirate’s Curse was listed as one of the best-sellers on the 3DS, and from there, the franchise’s future seemed much more stable. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero came out in 2016 after a successful Kickstarter campaign, becoming the series’ first HD installment and its first release that started on home consoles. The newest game in the series, Shantae and the Seven Sirens, came out in 2019 on Apple products and 2020 on most major consoles.

Admittedly, I don’t have a ton of experience with the series, so most of my moveset ideas will come from Risky’s Revenge, with bits from other games that I can find on Wikis or Youtube.

---

When it comes to palettes, thankfully, Matt Bozon and the people at Wayforward have already provided plenty of them. Shantae’s default outfit is her usual one – a red belly dancer’s outfit. The second palette changes it to blue. Her third palette is inspired by Nega-Shantae (red hair, purple skin, dark purple outfit), while her fourth is inspired by the zombie Rottytops. (green skin, dark green hair, purple and blue outfit) Her fifth palette (white) is based on her pyjamas, while her sixth is based on her ninja outfit. (green) Her seventh is based on a transformation that I didn’t get to include, Spider (dark blue hair, light blue skin, purple outfit), while her eighth outfit is based on Sky (pink, white, and blue outfit, with blonde hair).

Shantae stage is Scuttle Town, the town that she guards. Shop roofs act as platforms, and Shantae’s friends (as well as random villagers and the mayor) have gathered to watch. When stage hazards are on, Risky Boots’s ship sails by from time to time, launching cannon balls onto the stage – the spots where they’ll land are marked with a red target.

At the start of the match, a Warp Squid Statue will be on-screen. Shantae will appear in a flash of light, and the statue will sink into the ground, leaving her standing there.

---

BASIC ATTACKS

Shantae’s neutral attack is, of course, her hair whip – her most basic form of attack in the Shantae games. Her forward attack is elbowing her opponent, loosely based on one of the Fighter Gear upgrades from the first game. Likewise, her up attack is also based on a Fighter Gear upgrade, where Shantae does a flip kick to hit an enemy that’s above her. Her ducking attack is using her hair whip while crouching.

Shantae’s forward smash equivalent has her transforming into a monkey before using the Monkey Dash technique. The hitbox isn’t very large, and it doesn’t cover the sort of distance that it does in the games, but it’s quick. For her up smash equivalent, she transforms into a mermaid and whips her tail upwards. It’s similar in concept to her up attack, but more powerful. For her down smash equivalent, Shantae transforms into an elephant and stomps on the ground, creating a shockwave on both sides of herself.

In the air, Shantae’s neutral attack has her whip her hair forward. Her forward aerial has her kick straight ahead, while her back aerial has her hip-check whoever’s behind her. Her up aerial has her stab a scimitar upwards. For her down aerial, she uses another Fighter Gear move from the original, the drill kick. She launches herself straight down, similar to Sonic or Zero Suit Samus’s down aerial only she’s spinning in the process, and the attack stops once she hits an enemy or the ground.

Shantae’s dash attack uses the last of the Fighter Gear moves, the Pirouette – she spins around, smacking whoever she runs into. If she attacks while climbing back on stage, she whips her hair forward before climbing back up – the benefits of having a hands-free attack! For her get-up attack, she swings her head around, using her hair to try and trip up anyone who’s near her or make them keep their distance. These two are made up, but as far as I know, there isn’t anything like this in the Shantae games.

Shantae grabs the opponent both hands and pummels by hitting them with her hair. Shantae doesn’t have throws in her own games, as far as I know, so I’ll have to make them up or borrow them from moveset videos on Youtube. Her forward throw has her toss the opponent up and spike them like they’re a volleyball, and her back throw has her twirl her opponent like they’re dancing before flinging them behind her. Her up throw also takes inspiration from volleyball, throwing the opponent upwards and volleying them as they come back down. Her down throw has her dip her opponent like they’re dancing, only to drop them flat on their back and kick them away.

---

SPECIALS

Shantae’s specials will mainly use the various items that are a staple of her games. For her neutral special, she uses the fireball, which does exactly what it sounds like it does. When the B button is held, this can be charged to the Spitfire (three fireballs) and the Flamethrower (much shorter range, but it does more damage), with Shantae glowing red to show that it’s charging.

Her side special is the Storm Puff. Shantae leans back, holding a cloud over her head. Like her neutral special, this can be charged, with the cloud getting larger and angrier in the process. When released, she throws the cloud, which shoots out a bolt of lightning below itself at base levels, or violently explodes at higher levels of charge. (the third level creates a much bigger explosion than the second level)

Shantae’s up special is the only one that can’t be charged – she transforms into a Harpy and flies in whatever direction the control stick is pointed in, similar to Fire Fox.

Shantae’s down special uses the Pike Ball, and much like her neutral and side specials, it can be charged. Shantae glows blue when charging it, and releasing the button creates one, two, or three Pike Balls that orbit around Shantae as she moves. The Pike Balls only have a small amount of knockback and do nothing to stop projectiles, but they keep opponents from getting close to Shantae.

For Shantae’s super move, I was tempted to go with her Sophia III transformation (since it’s Shantae turning into a tank), but I thought that might cause issues with Sunsoft (who owns the Blaster Master series), and it might be best to stick with something that isn’t a crossover. If that's not an option, she could transform into a form based on the Squid Baron (though with Shantae's eyes) and start spinning around the stage, bouncing back and forth uncontrollably (she stops at the edge of the stage) before coming to a stop due to dizziness and turning back to normal. It'd be made up for the game, but she doesn't seem to get a super form going by the final boss battles that I've seen.

---

MUSIC

Again, I’ll stick with three songs until proven otherwise. I’m not as familiar with Shantae as a franchise, so I don’t know if these would be the best choices.

-Scuttle Town (Half-Genie Hero)

-Boss Battle

-A Troublesome Trek

For a victory theme, Shantae could have the Item Fanfare from Risky’s Revenge.

For possible victory poses, Shantae could lift a Heart Holder over her head with one hand, which she does when she finds one in Half-Genie Hero. Another could have Squid Baron standing on-screen, only for Shantae to jump on him, causing him to explode as Shantae strikes a pose in the foreground. For a third victory pose, she could cycle through some of her dance moves from throughout the series, ending with the pose that she takes when you select a transformation in Half-Genie Hero.

---

Some parts of this were pretty tricky, since my Shantae experience consists of one game, but for the most part, it was surprisingly easy. I guess that's to be expected when she's from a five game series with some Metroidvania elements.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
What game is the blue platypus/duck thing from? I know that the guy on the right is an assist already, but he looks like Wario (particularly like Wario did in Wario Land 2 on the Game Boy), so I'd be willing to try his game. (though it doesn't look like it's out)
Actually, yeah. Neither of these guy's games are fully released yet so that would probably be a big thing.

The first one is Platypet, a fan design that was originally a Fakemon and then officially became a monster design for the indie monster collector MMO TemTem. The game is still in early access but still looks phenomenal.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
There was a Backer Q&A on the game's Discord. Here are some of the highlights that I noticed:

-Each character can airdash in any direction. You can cancel out of your airdash with any aerial, but if your aerial doesn't hit an opponent you'll end up in freefall and get a bunch of landing lag. You can also use airdashes for wavedashing and associated techniques (wavelanding, etc).
-matches can have up to four players as of now, but that might increase in the future
-they plan to have extensive support for controller customization, so you can assign anything to any button
-Fraymakers features spot dodges, rolls on the ground, and techs/tech rolls
-Ledge uses ledge hogging with limited i-frames for ledge actions/drop to prevent stalling. We have all of the standard ledge actions: get up, roll up, jump up and ledge attack.
-currently supports keyboard, Xbox 360 Controller, Mayflash Adapter, and Gamecube controller adapter (via vJoy)
-Rollback netcode will be used for all of the game's official content, though custom content might cause some difficulties and require delay-based netcode.
-you can use airdashes to wavedash
-there's an optional dedicated short hop button
-not sure if characters will have new voice clips, or use pre-existing ones like what Smash did for Sonic (post-Brawl) or Banjo-Kazooie

-the early access build will have online mode, up to 4 characters, up to five stages, up to 20 assists, and FrayTools support
-FrayTools is a standalone software separate from Fraymakers itself
-you can't use FrayTools to make sprites
-it's possible to code a buddy that follows your character around (not sure whether this would be like Rosalina, Ice Climbers, or just a cosmetic)
-guides and samples will be created to help with making custom content
-nothing's set in stone in terms of collectibles
-no plans for a story mode at the moment
-they're open to including content from any indie developer, or doubling up with a character and an assist coming from the same game/series
-they're excited to explore the possibility of bosses
-the game will have items, though they weren't ready to announce specifics yet
-40 music tracks minimum (three per stage as of now, plus the main theme)
-they don't plan to release the full results of the backer survey, though they might share tidbits

-they're open to Japanese indie representation, but the language barrier is definitely an issue
-CommanderVideo was the first character included/negotiated for
-for obvious reasons, Orcane and Fishbunjin were the easiest to make movesets for
-the Watcher was chosen to represent Slay the Spire because her stance mechanic would bring something new to a platform fighter, they liked the staff as a weapon type, and they thought that there were a lot of cards in her line-up that translated nicely into her moveset
-they felt like any Rivals of Aether character would fit well in the game, but they preferred Orcane's mechanic and thought his design would translate really well
-the Watcher is the most difficult character to bring into the game from the art side of things, due to her details and fabric movement
-Fishbunjin will have his dumbbell throw in some form (if you haven't seen it, watch Alpharad's videos on Slap City - it is absurd)
-in their experience so far, indie developers are super approachable and great to work with
-they've been approached a few times by other developers since their Kickstarter went public, though they can't go into details about the roster, assists, etc. just yet
-at least one of the next fighters will be from an indie game

---

Also, I've typed up my third moveset idea. This one was tougher than the first two, at least from my perspective. (I'm sure that other people would have an easier time with making a moveset for this character)

Appeared in: Cave Story (2004)
Developer: Studio Pixel​

Quote is from Cave Story, a game that showed the world how much could be accomplished by a single game developer. Daisuke Amaya, a.k.a. “Pixel”, developed Cave Story on his own over the course of a five year period before releasing it as a freeware game in 2004. He handled everything from the coding to the writing to the music, completing the game in his free time. Given that the game was compared to then-modern Castlevania and Metroid games (the ones on the Game Boy Advance, at least) in terms of scope, it showed that independent developers had what it took to make games that could be held up alongside games by studios like Nintendo or Konami as shining examples of their genre.

Cave Story takes place in the underground Mimiga Village, home to the rabbit-like Mimiga, and the surrounding area. The player controls Quote, a quiet humanoid being with amnesia. When the Doctor, a man using an ancient relic called the Demon Crown, kidnaps the Mimigas for use as slaves and test subjects, Quote sets out through the island’s many caves to put a stop to the Doctor and his minions.

For Quote’s Fraymakers moveset, I’ll draw from a mix of Cave Story and his playable appearance in Blade Strangers – since Cave Story is inspired by Metroid, there isn’t much to speak of in terms of melee combat. Even his sword is a projectile!

---

Quote’s default palette is his normal appearance in Cave Story – white skin, a black tank top, red pants, a green scarf, and a red and white hat. Some of his alternate costumes are based on his costumes from the Switch port – yellow Quote (similar to his default look, but with a yellow hat and pants, and a blue scarf), human Quote (peach skin, blonde hair, and a blue hat and pants), Halloween Quote (green skin, red eyes, and a dark blue hat/pants), and Christmas Quote (dark brown skin and a darker scarf – since it’s a palette swap, it won’t have the antlers, Santa hat, and red nose, but it would be a combination that gets as close as possible to those features). Other palettes would be based on Curly (blonde hair, a pink tank top, and dark red pants), Halloween Curly (purple hair, and a green tank top and pants), and a killer robot (his whole body is darker shapes of purple and gray, with red eyes)

For Quote’s stage, I’m guessing that (much like Smash Bros.), Fraymakers is going to go with an early-game location for the most part, so my pick would be Mimiga Village. Some Mimigas will wander around in the background, watching the fight. When stage hazards are on, Balrog will occasionally fall from the ceiling and stand there with a blank look on his face before hopping into the foreground and off of the stage.

Quote arrives on-stage the same way that he arrived at Mimiga Village – falling straight down from high up in the sky, before landing flat on his face as clouds of dust shoot out from either side of him.

---

BASIC ATTACKS

Quote’s neutral attack has him firing the Polar Star straight forward. It’s the level one version, so its range and damage is low, and it doesn’t make the opponent flinch. His forward attack is a stab with the Blade, while his upwards attack is an uppercut with the Polar Star in his hand. His ducking attack is a slide kick.

Quote’s forward smash equivalent has him throwing the Blade forward, which spins before returning to him like a boomerang. For his up smash equivalent, he stabs the Blade upwards – charging it for long enough causes a ghostly version of King to fly straight upwards, rapidly slashing the area around him. For his down smash equivalent, he shoots the Bubbline at the ground, which creates a cloud of bubbles around him.

For Quote’s neutral air, he shoots the Polar Star straight forward, much like his neutral attack on the ground. For his forward air, he uses an axe kick (raising his leg above his head before kicking downwards), which spikes. Quote’s back air is turning around and swinging the Blade downwards, while his up air is a spin kick that launches him upwards into the air, similar to Ryo Sakazaki’s Hien Shippu Kyaku or Dan’s Dankukyaku but aimed upwards. For his down air, he fires the Polar Star at a diagonally-downwards angle, similar to one of his aerial attacks in Blade Strangers.

Quote’s dash attack has him activate the booster, ramming into whoever’s in front of him. If he attacks while climbing onto the stage, he shoots the Polar Star first before hopping back onto the ground. His wake-up attack has him twirl the Polar Star, firing it on either side of him while it’s in motion.

Quote grabs his opponent with his free hand and pistol-whips them with Polar Star for his special. His forward throw is Quote twirling the Polar Star before shooting the grabbed opponent point-blank, while his back throw has him toss the opponent behind him, which is followed up by bubbles from the fully-upgraded Bubbline launching after his opponent. His up throw is like Fox’s up throw in Smash, where he tosses the opponent straight upwards and shoots them with Polar Star. For his down throw, he lets go of the opponent and jumps on them, putting his robotic weight to good use.

---

SPECIALS

Quote’s neutral special is his missile launcher, one of his biggest damage dealers in Cave Story. To nobody’s surprise, it fires a missile that travels a short distance before exploding.

His side special is Fireball. He shoots the fireballs horizontally, which act similar to Mario's neutral special in Smash, but slightly larger. Up to three can be on-screen at once, and they pierce enemies (unless it's guarded) and bounce up to three times before disappearing. Since the recovery on his up special is so good, he doesn’t need to worry about using his side special to recover. These don't knock enemies back or stun them for long, so they're mainly for racking up damage.

His up special is the Booster 2.0. It doesn’t do any damage, but it has great recovery and works well for horizontal and vertical movement. However, like R.O.B.’s up special in Smash, it has a limited fuel supply that recharges once you’re on land.

For Quote’s down special, he uses Whimsical Star, which causes three small green stars to orbit around Quote as he moves around. They can act as a shield to prevent people from getting close, and pressing the down special while they’re out causes them to home in on the nearest opponent.

Quote’s Super Move is the Spur, the ultimate upgrade to the Polar Star. The Polar Star transforms slightly as it charges up before firing a beam that (while narrow compared to a lot of other beam-based Final Smashes) covers a large distance across the screen.

---

MUSIC

When it comes to three songs for Quote, it’s tough, since Cave Story has a lot of great music and I don’t know which songs are considered the highlights. Still, I picked the three that stood out in my mind.

-Cave Story (Main Theme)

-Eyes Ablaze

-Running Hell

For a victory theme, it seems like it would make sense to use the fanfare from when you defeat a boss.

For possible victory poses, one that comes to mind is Quote standing there, looking satisfied before a puppy falls on his head. And then another… and then another… until eventually, he falls over under a pile of puppies. (I felt like I had to reference the point where you could potentially stack up to five puppies on his head) Another one has Quote sitting on top of Balrog, looking relaxed as Balrog flaps his arms to fly majestically(?) through the air. A third, more serious, option has him confidently smirking, looking at his gun as he twirls it. (I took this one from Crystal Crisis)

I left out Curly Brace since I feel like she could potentially be playable, either as a unique character or a semi-clone of Quote.

---

It probably doesn't help that I don't own Blade Strangers, so I could only go off of combo videos from Youtube, but I found it tougher to make a moveset for Quote compared to Shovel Knight or Shantae. I didn't want to go overboard when it came to giving him a ton of projectiles, and I wanted to make it so the moveset made sense based on the game (so I couldn't give him Snake, Machine Gun, or Nemesis, which are mutually exclusive with other weapons that he has). I had the most trouble with his side special, his wake-up attack, and his aerial attacks.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

The indie Japanese developer for the game Disc Creatures knows English.
Any idea how we would go about submitting a suggestion like that?
Not sure - there was a backer survey about a month ago that allowed people to make suggestions, but I'm not sure if playing the middleman is accepted or frowned upon in this kind of a situation. (also, I don't know if the developer for Disc Creatures has a Twitter account)

---

Also, I've finished my "Mount Rushmore" of indie characters - while I understand that rights issues might get in the way (by my understanding, Nicalis isn't really cooperative for these sorts of crossovers unless they're making/publishing the game in question), I'd be surprised if at least one of these first four characters doesn't make it into Fraymakers. This last character isn't from a platformer like the past three, so I had to stretch it a bit to come up with a moveset and draw from smaller moments in the game in question. Thanks to all of these references, if you haven't played the game that this character comes from, you're gonna have a bad time.

Sans
Appeared in: Undertale (2015)
Developer: Toby Fox
Undertale is an RPG where nobody has to die – rather than striking down the monsters where they stand, you can talk to them and spare them. Or you can kill them all – it’s up to you. The gameplay is a mix of an RPG and mild bullet hell elements. The game took some inspiration from Earthbound (its creator, Toby Fox, started out by making an Earthbound Halloween hack), and it was a big success on Kickstarter, earning over ten times what its goal was. Since then, the game (and its spiritual sequel/spin-off/whatever it is, Deltarune) has been ported to the PS4, PS Vita, and Switch.

Undertale has an extensive and likable cast of characters, to the point where people seem divided on which one should represent the series if it gets into a crossover. The human, Undyne, Papyrus, Kris or Susie from Deltarune… However, the way I see it, only one of them made it into Smash Bros. (as of this writing – there isn’t a spirit event based on the games yet) As a result, I’m going with Sans, the pun-spouting lazy skeleton, and seemingly the most popular character in the game.

Sans’s moveset is probably going to be goofier than other characters, so I’m going to play it pretty fast and loose. His attacks (particularly his specials) are likely going to have long range, though to make up for that, he’s slow (to reflect his laziness) and light (to reflect that he only has 1 HP in his source material).

---

Sans’s default palette is his normal outfit – a blue jacket and black shorts, along with slippers. His other palettes reference the other Undertale characters – white and red with bits of gold (for Papyrus), purple with bits of blue (for Toriel), a black jacket with blue pants and bits of red (for Undyne), pink and black (for Mettaton), white with bits of gray (for Alphys), dark purple and gold (for Asgore), and a lime green jacket. (for Asriel) No direct references to Flowey or Chara, and Frisk’s colour scheme (predominantly blue) is a bit too close to Sans’s for my tastes.

For a stage, the obvious one to go with is Last Corridor, since that’s where the fight with Sans takes place, but that seems bland compared to the possibilities that an Undertale stage brings. Instead, I’m going with Snowdin Town. Papyrus and Sans’s house and Grillby’s serve as platforms. Papyrus is in the background, watching the fight. If stage hazards are on, the various dog Royal Guards (Dogamy and Dogaressa, Doggo, Greater Dog, and Lesser Dog) are also watching. Of the five, only Doggo and Greater Dog are a threat – Greater Dog occasionally patrols back and forth, stabbing his spear through the platforms, while Doggo starts to wander around on occasion, his eyes dart back and forth suspiciously as he starts slashing at anyone who gets close to him. Lesser Dog’s head can be used as a platform as his neck grows and shrinks.

At the start of the match, Sans is already on-stage, shown as a silhouette. Colour is gradually added to reveal that he is sleeping, before he wakes up.

---

BASIC ATTACKS

Sans’s neutral attack has him shrug while winking at the audience (somehow), which is quick but doesn’t deal much damage. His forward attack has him pull out a trombone before playing a few notes. His up attack as him raise his hand in the air, as if going for a high-five (if someone is hit by this, it plays a farting noise since Sans has a whoopie cushion in his hand), and his ducking attack has him dump ketchup on the opponent. If he’s near the ledge, the ketchup can fall off of the ledge for a short distance to hurt the opponent.

Sans’s smash attacks (or whatever they’re called – from this point on, I’m sticking with “smash attacks” until we hear otherwise) are where he starts to put slightly more effort in. For his forward smash, he moves his arm horizontally to make a flat row of bones show up in front of him. The more that it’s charged, the more bones appear. His up smash has him make a downwards gesture with his arm as a horizontally-positioned bone slowly slides up into the air (charging the smash attack makes it travel farther and move faster), and his down smash has him make an upwards gesture as bones rise out of the ground on either side of him.

For Sans’s neutral aerial, a bone appears, sliding across him from front to back, similar to how the bones slide across the menu options during the Sans fight. His forward aerial has him thrust a frozen plate of spaghetti forward, as if mashing it into the opponent’s face to get them to eat it. For his back aerial, he lifts a telescope over his shoulder, and it extends to hit whoever’s behind him. His up aerial has him flinging word searches into the air like confetti – his contribution to Papyrus’s series of puzzles – and his down aerial has him drop a thick quantum physics book straight down.

When Sans attacks while dashing, he “stumbles”, tripping into the opponent. When Sans attacks while climbing a ledge, he creates a short wall of bones in front of himself to keep people away. If Sans attacks while he’s knocked down, a group of bones raise him into the air, with him lying on some short ones and having longer bones on either side of him, making something like a bed. This is based on one of Sans’s attack patterns, and once the bones reach a certain height, he stands up as they lower him to the floor.

Sans grabs the opponent with telekinesis, which is displayed by a blue heart in the air in front of him. For his pummel, he places an increasingly large number of hotdogs on the opponent’s head, which stay there until the opponent is thrown or breaks free. His forward throw has him pushing the opponent away roughly with telekinesis, similar to how he flings the player’s soul around in the boss fight, while his back throw has him telekinetically fling his opponent over his shoulder, similar to Ness in Smash Bros. For his up throw, he raises his hands into the air, summoning the self-sustaining tornado of trash to launch the opponent upwards. For his down throw, a basketball net materializes out of nowhere as Sans grabs the opponent, jumps into the air, and slam-dunks them into it.

---

SPECIALS

Sans’s neutral special, of course, is the Gaster Blaster. Using it as an arm cannon like his Smash Bros. Mii costume, he fires a laser that doesn’t do much damage, but it hits multiple times and poisons the opponent(s), gradually dealing damage for a short time after it hits.

Sans’s side special has him getting on his Tricycle and pedaling forward, ramming into the opponent. Out of Sans’s specials, this is the only one that can reliably KO opponents, though his regular attacks can also serve that purpose.

Sans’s up special has him taking a Shortcut. Walking downwards, he fades to black before reappearing far above wherever he was.

For Sans’s down special, he yawns and a wave of bones flies forward in a sine wave pattern. Much like the Gaster Blaster, these poison whoever they touch, though they don’t do much damage or have much knockback individually.

For Sans’s super move, he uses his Strongest Attack. A white box appears in front of him that opponents in front of Sans are trapped in, and inside the box, bones rise out of the ground. As those disappear, more bones appear on the top and bottom, creating a curved path between them. Four giant Gaster Blasters appear on the corners, firing lasers in a square pattern before four more appear to fire lasers in an X pattern. Another square pattern of lasers is fired before two massive Gaster Blasters appear on either end of the box and fire enormous laser beams that almost fill the box completely. The box breaks, launching whoever’s caught off of the stage. For those of you who played Undertale, you will probably recognize this as the first attack that Sans uses. (unless you’re like me and stuck to the Pacifist route) If you’re outside of the box, only some of the Gaster Blaster lasers can hurt you, but it’s still best to keep your distance.

---

MUSIC

Same as before, we’re going with three songs.

-Bonetrousle

-Song That Might Play When You Fight Sans

-Megalovania

For a victory theme, Undertale doesn’t really have a victory fanfare, but given that you’re going to hear Determination (the Game Over theme) a LOT when you try fighting Sans, the start of that could work (though played in a more upbeat tempo - setting the playback speed to 2x should give an idea of what I mean)

When it comes to possible victory poses, one could be Sans giving an exaggerated shrug like he regularly does in his boss fight. Another pose has him doing the Fortnite default dance just because that’s canon now. For a third victory pose, I want to incorporate Papyrus in some way, so maybe Papyrus striking a dramatic pose where he points off into the distance while Sans half-heartedly follows along.

---

Sans's moveset is goofier than the other characters that I've done so far, which is probably why I had a lot of fun with making it. I didn't want to just have him summoning bones for various attacks, so for his aerials, I had to get creative. I'm especially proud of the idea for his down throw - no idea if it's actually plausible, but I wanted to include a reference to him dunking the opponent.

I'm still open to suggestions when it comes to characters - I'll come up with movesets on my own, though I'll probably slow it down for now.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've typed up another Fraymakers moveset - this one covers one of my most-wanted characters that I listed up above. I've already typed up Smash movesets for the other three, but while I'll post them here (with some adjustments), I'll try to include a brand-new moveset along with each reposted one.

Crow
Appeared in: Nefarious (2017)
Developer: StarBlade Games​

Crossovers such as Fraymakers tend to place a large amount of focus on the heroes, which makes sense – if you’re going to represent a series, you might as well go with the main playable character of the game. However, what if the main playable character was the villain? There are some other, more spoilery examples that I won’t get into here, but in terms of cartoonish, old-school, Bowser or Eggman style villainy, one indie character that comes to mind is Crow from Nefarious.

Nefarious is a lesser-known game compared to the ones that I’ve covered already, so unlike Shantae, Shovel Knight, or Undertale, it seems more likely that an explanation will be needed here. Nefarious is a game that flips the script on the standard “rescue the princess” plot, where the player character (Crow) is the one doing the kidnapping. When Crow’s regular opponent (and Princess Mayapple’s usual saviour) Mack breaks up with Princess Mayapple in the middle of their chase, Crow is free to continue the next step of his dastardly plan – kidnap enough princesses to power a super-weapon and take over the world!

The game was funded through Kickstarter, though unlike other examples, it just barely met the funding goal, earning $50,331 compared to its $50,000 goal. Among others, the game involved Matthew Taranto, creator of the Brawl in the Family webcomic, who made the music for the game. I would strongly recommend looking up Nefarious’s soundtrack, as it’s fantastic. The game also received a continuation through a webcomic.

For Crow’s moveset, I’ll be drawing from the game and the webcomic, as well as his appearance as the final boss of Indie Pogo. The game also includes “reverse boss battles” where you play as the massive robot, laser cannon, etc. and need to prevent the heroes from hitting your obvious weak point, so elements from that will be incorporated as well.

---

Crow’s default outfit is his purple armour. For alternate palettes, one changes his armour to dark blue to his rival Mack, while another makes his armour pink to reference his kidnappee/friend Mayapple. (both wear sets of armour that resemble what Crow wears, though Mayapple’s is just in the webcomic) Other palettes will be based on the princesses that Crow kidnaps: yellow and blue (for Apoidea), all white (for Farrah Day), green with red skin (for Malachite), and light blue (for Ariella). For the eighth palette, it will be red to reference fellow supervillain and totally not a Dr. Eggman knock-off, Dr. Mechano.

Crow’s stage will be his ship, the Sovereign. It would probably be on the roof of the ship, similar to his boss fight in Indie Pogo, where there’s a large wall on the right hand side. His minions, along with Becky, are gathered to watch, though they can’t be interacted with since they’re in the background. With hazards on, electricity traps will come out of panels on the ground from time to time, though with hazards off, those won't pop up (and the wall will be removed from the right hand side if that's an option).

Crow arrives on stage by flying onto it with his rocket boots. Once he lands on the ground, he lets out an evil cackle.

---

BASIC ATTACKS

Crow’s neutral attack is punching with his giant mechanical hand. For his forward attack, his fist changes into a larger all-purple fist (based on his fight with Guryon, where he’s in a humanoid giant mech), which has a longer range but a slower start-up. His up attack has him punch directly upwards, while his crouching attack is a kick – it’s weaker than his punches, given that his legs aren’t mechanical, but it’s faster.

Crow’s forward smash is his charging punch – spinning his metal fist around, Crow lets out a hard-hitting punch when it’s released that has longer range than his neutral attack. For his up smash, he grabs onto a chain that comes out of the ground, pulling it out of the ground to reveal a large metal ball with his face on it. (based on his boss fight against Dash, which is based on the first boss from Sonic 1) He lifts it over his head in an arc, and when it hits the ground, he lets go of it and it vanishes. For his down smash, Crow punches the ground with his explosive fist, causing flames to erupt from the ground on either side of him.

Crow’s neutral aerial is a punch, much like his neutral ground attack. His forward air has his mechanical hand turning into a mace, which he smacks the enemy with. His back air has him swing the Doomerang (a large purple and yellow boomerang covered in spikes) behind him – it’s not very effective as a boomerang, but it’s spiky enough to be a melee weapon. His upwards air attack has him shooting bullets straight upwards with his mechanical hand; they travel a short distance before disappearing. His downward aerial has Crow activate the jet boosters on his legs to shoot out a burst of flame, hitting whoever’s below him.

Crow’s dash attack has him attach his drill arm, jabbing it forward to use a multi-hitting attack. Climbing back on the ledge, he grabs it with his mechanical hand and does a drop kick. If Crow attacks while he’s getting up, his jet boots activate and he grips the ground with his metal hand while spinning around, leaving a trail of fire around him to knock people away if they’re too close.

Crow grabs the opponent with his normal hand and pummels them by hitting them with his mechanical one. Crow’s forward throw has him spin his arm rapidly before tossing his opponent away, while his back throw has him turn around, release his opponent, and shoot a grenade at them to send them flying. For Crow’s upwards throw, he uppercuts the opponent with his giant metal fist, and for his down throw, he slams the opponent to the ground before kicking them away.

---

SPECIALS

Crow’s neutral special is his grenade launcher. It’s pretty straight-forward – he shoots out a grenade that explodes, either after a few bounces or when it hits an enemy. Only one grenade can be out at the same time.

For his side special, he uses the Gyroc Missile, which is just a missile. Its path is more predictable than the grenades, which can be good or bad depending on the situation. However, its range is shorter to compensate.

Crow’s up special is Grenade Jump. Launching a grenade at his feet, he launches himself into the air. The initial explosion damages whoever’s near him when he uses it.

For Crow’s down special, he shoots a Sticky Grenade at the ground. It sits there, and if anyone walks over it, it sticks to them. Pressing down special while a grenade is out causes it to detonate.

Crow’s super move is his ultimate weapon, the Doom Howitzer. Crow hops into the background as the Doom Howitzer, a giant robot, rises into view. It fires lasers from the cannon on its chest (which Crow is sitting in and can rotate) as well as its eyes (which fire in a set pattern, though they fire far more rapidly than the ones that you can aim). Once the attack is done, Crow laughs before ejecting from the robot and landing back on stage where he left it.

---

MUSIC

-Crow’s Theme

-Turn-Based Tussle

-This Is Your End

The victory theme is easy enough; Crow already has a victory theme in the game. (he wrote it himself)

For victory poses, one can have Crow play air guitar and (if voice clips are included, either new or from the original game) “singing” along to his own victory theme. Another one has him laughing maniacally as Becky, calm as always, stands beside him and a few of his troops charge forward. A third one has him falling onto the screen from above, Princess Mayapple over his shoulder, and running off as the police chases him.

Last edited:

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Loam from double shake, Jack from the last stand, Candyman from Lethal League Blaze, Bullet kin from enter the gungeon, and Ana or Guy Spelunky from Spelunky are my wants...if I donated money

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Fraymakers has a Twitter account specifically for that game now, and they're providing updates every Saturday. The updates seem to be minor, but it's worth noting.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I feel like it's worth mentioning that there's an ongoing poll from the developers for which Rivals of Aether character they should add as an assist.

No news yet on when the early access build will be released, but they've announced three of the four playable characters - Commander Video, Welltaro, and Octodad.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
NE

I feel like it's worth mentioning that there's an ongoing poll from the developers for which Rivals of Aether character they should add as an assist.

No news yet on when the early access build will be released, but they've announced three of the four playable characters - Commander Video, Welltaro, and Octodad.
Never played Rivals but I use Ranno in Brawlhalla. I assume I would be a Ranno main

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Personally hoping either Wrastor or Kragg wins, both are just too funny imo and I also see as being great assists. I forgot who I voted 3rd, I think it was Ranno but not certain, and he'd be a great character I'm certain of that, but I'm still hoping for Wrastor or Kragg.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Personally hoping either Wrastor or Kragg wins, both are just too funny imo and I also see as being great assists. I forgot who I voted 3rd, I think it was Ranno but not certain, and he'd be a great character I'm certain of that, but I'm still hoping for Wrastor or Kragg.
Ranno is the poison frog that blows bubbles

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
While this is a moveset video for Smash, like it shows in the video, it could work for Fraymakers as well:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm going to try typing up another moveset, since updates on the game have been quiet (they've finalized some of the characters, though we don't know who they are yet, and a new stage has been revealed along with some music, but that seems to be it)

Here's the moveset:

Hat Kid
Appeared in: A Hat In Time (2017)
Developer: Gears for Breakfast​

One genre that seems like it can naturally make the jump into platform fighters is platformers, unsurprisingly. The gameplay's based around platforming, so it's not like they need a ton of work to transition from one genre to another. Indie games tend to focus on 2D platforms for a variety of reasons (presumably, part of it is because they're easier to make), but there have been successful examples of 3D indie platformers, with A Hat In Time being one of the most prominent.

A mix of Wind Waker's art style, Banjo-Kazooie's sense of humour, and Super Mario Sunshine's level design, A Hat In Time harkens back to level-based collectathons of the N64 era (though thankfully not to excess - there's only 40 main collectibles in the game, or 56 once DLC is included). Hat Kid explores the world using her umbrella and a wide variety of hats, and those will also make up her moveset here.

---

Hat Kid's default outfit is mostly purple, with a yellow cape and a blue umbrella. Alternate palettes (which are all based on the palettes from the game) would include:
-Blueberry Pie (blue and yellow)
-Forest Critter (dark green and light green)
-Margin of Night (red and purple)
-Cookie Dough (yellow and pink)
-The Widow (black and dark grey)
-Cute 'n Dangerous (shades of pink)

The eighth palette would be a reference to Bow Kid, turning her clothes green and light blue and making her skin and hair darker. (I'm assuming that there wouldn't be full alternate costumes, so no Bow Kid or Nyakuza Metro costumes)

Her stage could be Mafia Town, the first level of the game. Set on a platform overlooking Mafia Town, it gives a good view of the setting, and if stage cameos are a thing, various Mafia members and Mustache Girl could be watching in the background. Eventually, the faucets turn on and start spewing out lava, causing pillars of lava to erupt from the blast zone. The faucets eventually get turned off, returning things back to normal. (though there are a LOT of options for a stage with Hat Kid - Dead Bird Studio, Subcon Forest, Nyakuza Metro, one of the Time Rifts...)

Hat Kid enters the stage by floating down onto it with the aid of her umbrella.

---

BASIC ATTACKS

Hat Kid's neutral attack is hitting the opponent with her umbrella. For her side attack, she holds the umbrella in front of her and opens it up. Her up attack has her open the umbrella above her head and twirl it, while her down attack has her pull out a camera and take a picture, with the flash doing light damage.

Hat Kid's Smash attacks will focus on her various hats. Her forward smash has her change to the Brewer's Hat, shaking up an explosive potion as she charges the smash attack. Releasing it will have her throw it a short distance ahead, where it explodes. Her up smash uses her Dweller's Mask, which summons a bright green spirit above her head. (this hat doesn't have any offensive purposes in the game, so I had to mess with the details a bit) Her down smash has her change to the Ice Hat, hopping into the air a bit before turning into a ice statue and slamming into the ground, creating a shockwave.

Hat Kid's neutral air has her do a flip, while her forward air has her jab with her umbrella. Her back air has her swing a film award behind herself, and her up air has her hold a ball of yarn over her head. Her down air has her stomp downwards with both feet. (oddly enough, that description also matches Ganondorf's down air in Smash)

Hat Kid's dash attack is her dive - she leaps forward, crashing into whoever's in front of her. When climbing back onto the stage, Hat Kid lands with a dramatic, gymnast-like flourish. When getting up, Hat Kid accidentally drops exploding potions around herself, which detonate. (they don't damage her, though)

Hat Kid grabs the opponent with her free hand, and hits them with her umbrella for her pummel. Her forward throw has her swing her umbrella like it's a golf club, while her back throw has her suplex the opponent. For her up throw, a Mafia goon pops out of a trap door beneath the enemy to launch them into the air, and for her down throw, she hops on her scooter and revs it up while it's on top of the opponent.

---

SPECIALS

Hat Kid's neutral special uses the Projectile Badge - holding out her umbrella in front of her, the tip starts to glow, changing colours as the beam gains more power. This will charge as long as you hold the button, and it fires a beam once you release it, with higher levels having a longer range and doing more damage.

For Hat Kid's side special, she summons her Scooter and dashes forwards, ramming head-on into anyone in her path.

Hat Kid's up special is the Hookshot badge. A grappling hook launches from the umbrella, acting as a tether recovery. (I'm assuming that tether recoveries are an option - if not, then it latches onto a floating ring that floats higher into the air before she lets go)

For Hat Kid's down special, I'll have to deviate from the badge theme. Instead, Hat Kid pulls out a bat from Nyakuza Metro. She gets into a batter's stance, which gives her one hit of super armour like Ryu's focus attack, before swinging it into the opponent.

Hat Kid's Super Move has her pull off her hat, and her frenemy the Snatcher comes out of it. He throws out a collection of exploding vials at seemingly random angles, which detonate with large colourful explosions once they hit the ground or a player. Eventually, he runs out, so he goes back into Hat Kid's hat, which she puts back on.

---

MUSIC

-Barrel Battle

-Her Spaceship

-Your Contract Has Expired

As a Mario 64/Banjo-Kazooie inspired platformer, of course there's a jingle when you pick up the main collectible, so the victory theme seems obvious:

For victory poses, Hat Kid could hold up a Time Piece like she does when this theme plays in game, do the smug-faced dance, or sit on a director's chair with a big grin while wearing multiple pairs of sunglasses on her face. (like with the stages, there are a LOT of options here - this game is full of personality)

Also, here's one of my Smash Bros. movesets repurposed for this thread. Hopefully the links still work.

Zagreus
Appeared in: Hades (2020)
Developer: Supergiant Games​

Zagreus’s palette swaps are based on other characters that he encounters – Thanatos (black and gold), Megaera (blue and yellow), Charon (an inverted version of Thanatos’s colours – far more gold than black), Nyx (purple), Cerberus/Hypnos (mostly red with some green), Achilles/Dusa (green with blonde hair), and Persephone (white with some green, and his hair is very light blonde).

For a stage, I’m going with House of Hades, where Zagreus returns every single time that he dies. Specifically, the main lobby, where Hades is sitting at his desk in the background as shades pass through. Various characters can be present in the background, whether it’s Cerberus, Thanatos, Megaera, Orpheus, Nyx, Achilles, or Hades himself. If Zagreus is being played as, Hades is always absent for reasons that I’ll get into later. The house contractor is always present, and will occasionally get tossed some gems or diamonds to add new features to the house, that act as platforms or obstacles.

Zagreus arrives on stage similarly to how he starts a run – by falling from the sky and landing on the platform, though fire flares out of the ground on either side of him as he lands. For his idle animations, he hops from foot to foot impatiently or twirls his sword.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zagreus will cycle between his various weapons for the moveset, though he’ll generally be holding the Stygian Blade in his right hand, keeping his left hand free, and taking the others out as he needs them. To justify his main gimmick (which I’ll get into later), he’ll be wearing the Shattered Shackle from Sisyphus on his arm.

A-->AA-->AAA: Zagreus swings the Stygian Blade twice before stabbing with it.

Forward A: Zagreus stabs with the Eternal Spear

Up A: Zagreus uppercuts the enemy twice (based on the Twin Fists of Malphon’s special)

Down A: Zagreus throws out two quick punches with the Twin Fists of Malphon

Forward Smash: Bull Rush – while charging, Zagreus holds the Shield of Chaos in front of him, which blocks attacks from the front like Link’s shield. Upon release, he shoves with the shield; it doesn’t send enemies as far as most Smash attacks or have much range to compensate for its blocking properties.

Up Smash: Zagreus shoots an explosive into the air, which acts like Snake’s mortar. (based on the Adamant Rail’s special)

Down Smash: Zagreus uses the Eternal Spear’s spin attack

Neutral Air: Zagreus spins around, swinging the Shield of Chaos

Forward Air: Zagreus fires the Adamant Rail (basically a machine gun) at a slightly downwards angle – the recoil pushes him back slightly.

Back Air: Zagreus turns around, swinging the Stygian Blade behind himself.

Up Air: Zagreus throws the Shield of Chaos into the air

Down Air: Zagreus uses the Heart-Seeking Bow’s Volley Fire ability straight down. (fires several arrows quickly in an arc)

Dash Attack: Zagreus thrusts with the Stygian Blade

Wake-Up Attack: Zagreus punches on either side of him with the Twin Fists of Malphon

Climb Attack: Zagreus climbs back on stage, swinging the Stygian Blade vertically at the ground.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grab: Zagreus grabs the opponent with his left hand.

Pummel: Zagreus hits the opponent with the bottom of the sword.

Forward Throw: Zagreus quickly charges up a shot with the Heart-Seeking Bow, firing it point-blank to knock the opponent away.

Back Throw: Zagreus stabs the opponent with the Eternal Spear and throws it behind him, with the opponent still attached to it. He recalls the spear shortly after, though the opponent keeps flying in the original direction.

Up Throw: Zagreus uppercuts the enemy with the Twin Fists of Malphon, launching them into the air.

Down Throw: Zagreus throws the opponent to the ground and smacks them in the back with the Shield of Chaos before kicking them away.

Unlike most of my move lists, I’m going to start with Down B, since it’s the source of Zagreus’s main gimmick.

Down B: Fickle Boon. Much like Shulk’s Monado art, Zagreus can cycle between six boons, which have different effects on his specials:

• none – represented by a gray picture of Bouldy, Sisyphus’s boulder. No special powers, but it’s more powerful
  • Zeus – represented by a lightning bolt in a yellow circle.
  • Poseidon – represented by a trident in a blue circle.
  • Athena – represented by a shield in a yellow and blue circle.
  • Artemis – represented by a bow and arrow in a green circle.
  • Ares – represented by a spear in a red circle.

The boons decrease the damage of Zagreus’s specials slightly, and he travels shorter distances for his side B and up B in exchange for abilities that are detailed below.

B: Cast. Zagreus fires a red projectile, and if it hits the enemy, it latches on to them, indicated by a Bloodstone symbol (a red prism) above their life bar. Only one Bloodstone can be latched on to anyone at a time, and while it’s latched, Zagreus deals more damage to them. Hitting the opponent enough times, or hitting them hard enough, will knock the Bloodstone out of them.

• Zeus: the cast projectile becomes chain lightning, bouncing between up to three opponents. The Bloodstone will latch onto the last person who is hit.
  • Poseidon: the cast projectile knocks enemies away once it hits
  • Athena: the cast projectile’s range is shorter, but it can deflect projectiles
  • Artemis: the cast has a slight homing ability, and is flanked by two homing arrows that deal additional damage.
  • Ares: the cast sends a Blade Rift (a whirling circle of blades) ahead. The Blade Rift is slower than the normal cast, and has a shorter range, but it deals significantly more damage if the whole thing hits.

Up B: Dash. Zagreus dashes upwards, which can be controlled similar to Lucario’s up B. This does no damage without any boons, though it travels farther.

• Zeus: lightning strikes where he started the dash
  • Poseidon: when he reaches the end of the dash, water bursts out from Zagreus to knock opponents away and damage them
  • Athena: a shield appears around Zagreus at the start of the dash, deflecting projectiles
  • Artemis: the attack ignores super armour (based on some of her skills doing more damage to armour)
  • Ares: a Blade Rift appears where Zagreus started, continuously dealing damage for a second or two

Side B: Nova Smash. Leaping forward, Zagreus swings the sword downwards, creating a small burst as an area attack.

• Zeus: lightning strikes on the outer edges of the shockwave, dealing significantly more damage if the opponent is on the outer edge of the shockwave
  • Poseidon: water bursts out from Zagreus, causing enemies to get send further away
  • Athena: a shield appears around Zagreus to deflect projectiles, though it’s in a much tighter circle than the shockwave
  • Artemis: the shockwave has a small chance to inflict critical damage, significantly increasing damage and knockback
  • Ares: the shockwave causes Doom, meaning that a few seconds after it hits, opponents take extra damage, though the extra damage doesn’t cause knockback.

Final Smash: Blood and Darkness. Hades appears in a puff of smoke before burning off his cloak. Hades teleports into the air and starts firing lasers all over the stage, with Zagreus dashing to avoid them. Zagreus is temporarily invincible (as shown by a blue crystalline shield around him), but his opponents aren’t so lucky.

For his first victory pose, Zagreus places his sword on his shoulder, like his stance on the game’s title screen. For his second one, he bites into a slice of a Pom of Power, and he makes a comment about how good it tastes. For his third victory pose, Cerberus growls at the camera before Zagreus walks on-screen. Cerberus’s demeanour immediately changes to being a big, friendly three-headed dog as Zagreus pets him.

For a victory theme, the first thing that comes to mind is a snippet from No Escape, the game’s title theme. (the 23 second mark or the ending seem like good notes to possibly end on)

Music:

-The Painful Way

-Through Asphodel

-God of the Dead

I originally wrote this moveset for Smash, but considering the Watcher's moves in Fraymakers, something like this might still be possible.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'm going to try typing up another moveset, since updates on the game have been quiet (they've finalized some of the characters, though we don't know who they are yet, and a new stage has been revealed along with some music, but that seems to be it)

Hat Kid
Appeared in: A Hat In Time (2017)
Developer: Gears for Breakfast​

One genre that seems like it can naturally make the jump into platform fighters is platformers, unsurprisingly. The gameplay's based around platforming, so it's not like they need a ton of work to transition from one genre to another. Indie games tend to focus on 2D platforms for a variety of reasons (presumably, part of it is because they're easier to make), but there have been successful examples of 3D indie platformers, with A Hat In Time being one of the most prominent.

A mix of Wind Waker's art style, Banjo-Kazooie's sense of humour, and Super Mario Sunshine's level design, A Hat In Time harkens back to level-based collectathons of the N64 era (though thankfully not to excess - there's only 40 main collectibles in the game, or 56 once DLC is included). Hat Kid explores the world using her umbrella and a wide variety of hats, and those will also make up her moveset here.

---

Hat Kid's default outfit is mostly purple, with a yellow cape and a blue umbrella. Alternate palettes (which are all based on the palettes from the game) would include:
-Blueberry Pie (blue and yellow)
-Forest Critter (dark green and light green)
-Margin of Night (red and purple)
-Cookie Dough (yellow and pink)
-The Widow (black and dark grey)
-Cute 'n Dangerous (shades of pink)

The eighth palette would be a reference to Bow Kid, turning her clothes green and light blue and making her skin and hair darker. (I'm assuming that there wouldn't be full alternate costumes, so no Bow Kid or Nyakuza Metro costumes)

Her stage could be Mafia Town, the first level of the game. Set on a platform overlooking Mafia Town, it gives a good view of the setting, and if stage cameos are a thing, various Mafia members and Mustache Girl could be watching in the background. Eventually, the faucets turn on and start spewing out lava, causing pillars of lava to erupt from the blast zone. The faucets eventually get turned off, returning things back to normal. (though there are a LOT of options for a stage with Hat Kid - Dead Bird Studio, Subcon Forest, Nyakuza Metro, one of the Time Rifts...)

Hat Kid enters the stage by floating down onto it with the aid of her umbrella.

---

BASIC ATTACKS

Hat Kid's neutral attack is hitting the opponent with her umbrella. For her side attack, she holds the umbrella in front of her and opens it up. Her up attack has her open the umbrella above her head and twirl it, while her down attack has her pull out a camera and take a picture, with the flash doing light damage.

Hat Kid's Smash attacks will focus on her various hats. Her forward smash has her change to the Brewer's Hat, shaking up an explosive potion as she charges the smash attack. Releasing it will have her throw it a short distance ahead, where it explodes. Her up smash uses her Dweller's Mask, which summons a bright green spirit above her head. (this hat doesn't have any offensive purposes in the game, so I had to mess with the details a bit) Her down smash has her change to the Ice Hat, hopping into the air a bit before turning into a ice statue and slamming into the ground, creating a shockwave.

Hat Kid's neutral air has her do a flip, while her forward air has her jab with her umbrella. Her back air has her swing a film award behind herself, and her up air has her hold a ball of yarn over her head. Her down air has her stomp downwards with both feet. (oddly enough, that description also matches Ganondorf's down air in Smash)

Hat Kid's dash attack is her dive - she leaps forward, crashing into whoever's in front of her. When climbing back onto the stage, Hat Kid lands with a dramatic, gymnast-like flourish. When getting up, Hat Kid accidentally drops exploding potions around herself, which detonate. (they don't damage her, though)

Hat Kid grabs the opponent with her free hand, and hits them with her umbrella for her pummel. Her forward throw has her swing her umbrella like it's a golf club, while her back throw has her suplex the opponent. For her up throw, a Mafia goon pops out of a trap door beneath the enemy to launch them into the air, and for her down throw, she hops on her scooter and revs it up while it's on top of the opponent.

---

SPECIALS

Hat Kid's neutral special uses the Projectile Badge - holding out her umbrella in front of her, the tip starts to glow, changing colours as the beam gains more power. This will charge as long as you hold the button, and it fires a beam once you release it, with higher levels having a longer range and doing more damage.

For Hat Kid's side special, she summons her Scooter and dashes forwards, ramming head-on into anyone in her path.

Hat Kid's up special is the Hookshot badge. A grappling hook launches from the umbrella, acting as a tether recovery. (I'm assuming that tether recoveries are an option - if not, then it latches onto a floating ring that floats higher into the air before she lets go)

For Hat Kid's down special, I'll have to deviate from the badge theme. Instead, Hat Kid pulls out a bat from Nyakuza Metro. She gets into a batter's stance, which gives her one hit of super armour like Ryu's focus attack, before swinging it into the opponent.

Hat Kid's Super Move has her pull off her hat, and her frenemy the Snatcher comes out of it. He throws out a collection of exploding vials at seemingly random angles, which detonate with large colourful explosions once they hit the ground or a player. Eventually, he runs out, so he goes back into Hat Kid's hat, which she puts back on.

---

MUSIC

-Barrel Battle

-Her Spaceship

-Your Contract Has Expired

As a Mario 64/Banjo-Kazooie inspired platformer, of course there's a jingle when you pick up the main collectible, so the victory theme seems obvious:

For victory poses, Hat Kid could hold up a Time Piece like she does when this theme plays in game, do the smug-faced dance, or sit on a director's chair with a big grin while wearing multiple pairs of sunglasses on her face. (like with the stages, there are a LOT of options here - this game is full of personality)

Also, here's one of my Smash Bros. movesets repurposed for this thread. Hopefully the links still work.

Zagreus
Appeared in: Hades (2020)
Developer: Supergiant Games​

Zagreus’s palette swaps are based on other characters that he encounters – Thanatos (black and gold), Megaera (blue and yellow), Charon (an inverted version of Thanatos’s colours – far more gold than black), Nyx (purple), Cerberus/Hypnos (mostly red with some green), Achilles/Dusa (green with blonde hair), and Persephone (white with some green, and his hair is very light blonde).

For a stage, I’m going with House of Hades, where Zagreus returns every single time that he dies. Specifically, the main lobby, where Hades is sitting at his desk in the background as shades pass through. Various characters can be present in the background, whether it’s Cerberus, Thanatos, Megaera, Orpheus, Nyx, Achilles, or Hades himself. If Zagreus is being played as, Hades is always absent for reasons that I’ll get into later. The house contractor is always present, and will occasionally get tossed some gems or diamonds to add new features to the house, that act as platforms or obstacles.

Zagreus arrives on stage similarly to how he starts a run – by falling from the sky and landing on the platform, though fire flares out of the ground on either side of him as he lands. For his idle animations, he hops from foot to foot impatiently or twirls his sword.

Zagreus will cycle between his various weapons for the moveset, though he’ll generally be holding the Stygian Blade in his right hand, keeping his left hand free, and taking the others out as he needs them. To justify his main gimmick (which I’ll get into later), he’ll be wearing the Shattered Shackle from Sisyphus on his arm.

A-->AA-->AAA: Zagreus swings the Stygian Blade twice before stabbing with it.

Forward A: Zagreus stabs with the Eternal Spear

Up A: Zagreus uppercuts the enemy twice (based on the Twin Fists of Malphon’s special)

Down A: Zagreus throws out two quick punches with the Twin Fists of Malphon

Forward Smash: Bull Rush – while charging, Zagreus holds the Shield of Chaos in front of him, which blocks attacks from the front like Link’s shield. Upon release, he shoves with the shield; it doesn’t send enemies as far as most Smash attacks or have much range to compensate for its blocking properties.

Up Smash: Zagreus shoots an explosive into the air, which acts like Snake’s mortar. (based on the Adamant Rail’s special)

Down Smash: Zagreus uses the Eternal Spear’s spin attack

Neutral Air: Zagreus spins around, swinging the Shield of Chaos

Forward Air: Zagreus fires the Adamant Rail (basically a machine gun) at a slightly downwards angle – the recoil pushes him back slightly.

Back Air: Zagreus turns around, swinging the Stygian Blade behind himself.

Up Air: Zagreus throws the Shield of Chaos into the air

Down Air: Zagreus uses the Heart-Seeking Bow’s Volley Fire ability straight down. (fires several arrows quickly in an arc)

Dash Attack: Zagreus thrusts with the Stygian Blade

Wake-Up Attack: Zagreus punches on either side of him with the Twin Fists of Malphon

Climb Attack: Zagreus climbs back on stage, swinging the Stygian Blade vertically at the ground.

Grab: Zagreus grabs the opponent with his left hand.

Pummel: Zagreus hits the opponent with the bottom of the sword.

Forward Throw: Zagreus quickly charges up a shot with the Heart-Seeking Bow, firing it point-blank to knock the opponent away.

Back Throw: Zagreus stabs the opponent with the Eternal Spear and throws it behind him, with the opponent still attached to it. He recalls the spear shortly after, though the opponent keeps flying in the original direction.

Up Throw: Zagreus uppercuts the enemy with the Twin Fists of Malphon, launching them into the air.

Down Throw: Zagreus throws the opponent to the ground and smacks them in the back with the Shield of Chaos before kicking them away.

Unlike most of my move lists, I’m going to start with Down B, since it’s the source of Zagreus’s main gimmick.

Down B: Fickle Boon. Much like Shulk’s Monado art, Zagreus can cycle between six boons, which have different effects on his specials:

• none – represented by a gray picture of Bouldy, Sisyphus’s boulder. No special powers, but it’s more powerful
  • Zeus – represented by a lightning bolt in a yellow circle.
  • Poseidon – represented by a trident in a blue circle.
  • Athena – represented by a shield in a yellow and blue circle.
  • Artemis – represented by a bow and arrow in a green circle.
  • Ares – represented by a spear in a red circle.

The boons decrease the damage of Zagreus’s specials slightly, and he travels shorter distances for his side B and up B in exchange for abilities that are detailed below.

B: Cast. Zagreus fires a red projectile, and if it hits the enemy, it latches on to them, indicated by a Bloodstone symbol (a red prism) above their life bar. Only one Bloodstone can be latched on to anyone at a time, and while it’s latched, Zagreus deals more damage to them. Hitting the opponent enough times, or hitting them hard enough, will knock the Bloodstone out of them.

• Zeus: the cast projectile becomes chain lightning, bouncing between up to three opponents. The Bloodstone will latch onto the last person who is hit.
  • Poseidon: the cast projectile knocks enemies away once it hits
  • Athena: the cast projectile’s range is shorter, but it can deflect projectiles
  • Artemis: the cast has a slight homing ability, and is flanked by two homing arrows that deal additional damage.
  • Ares: the cast sends a Blade Rift (a whirling circle of blades) ahead. The Blade Rift is slower than the normal cast, and has a shorter range, but it deals significantly more damage if the whole thing hits.

Up B: Dash. Zagreus dashes upwards, which can be controlled similar to Lucario’s up B. This does no damage without any boons, though it travels farther.

• Zeus: lightning strikes where he started the dash
  • Poseidon: when he reaches the end of the dash, water bursts out from Zagreus to knock opponents away and damage them
  • Athena: a shield appears around Zagreus at the start of the dash, deflecting projectiles
  • Artemis: the attack ignores super armour (based on some of her skills doing more damage to armour)
  • Ares: a Blade Rift appears where Zagreus started, continuously dealing damage for a second or two

Side B: Nova Smash. Leaping forward, Zagreus swings the sword downwards, creating a small burst as an area attack.

• Zeus: lightning strikes on the outer edges of the shockwave, dealing significantly more damage if the opponent is on the outer edge of the shockwave
  • Poseidon: water bursts out from Zagreus, causing enemies to get send further away
  • Athena: a shield appears around Zagreus to deflect projectiles, though it’s in a much tighter circle than the shockwave
  • Artemis: the shockwave has a small chance to inflict critical damage, significantly increasing damage and knockback
  • Ares: the shockwave causes Doom, meaning that a few seconds after it hits, opponents take extra damage, though the extra damage doesn’t cause knockback.

Final Smash: Blood and Darkness. Hades appears in a puff of smoke before burning off his cloak. Hades teleports into the air and starts firing lasers all over the stage, with Zagreus dashing to avoid them. Zagreus is temporarily invincible (as shown by a blue crystalline shield around him), but his opponents aren’t so lucky.

For his first victory pose, Zagreus places his sword on his shoulder, like his stance on the game’s title screen. For his second one, he bites into a slice of a Pom of Power, and he makes a comment about how good it tastes. For his third victory pose, Cerberus growls at the camera before Zagreus walks on-screen. Cerberus’s demeanour immediately changes to being a big, friendly three-headed dog as Zagreus pets him.

For a victory theme, the first thing that comes to mind is a snippet from No Escape, the game’s title theme. (the 23 second mark or the ending seem like good notes to possibly end on)

Music:

-The Painful Way

-Through Asphodel

-God of the Dead

I originally wrote this moveset for Smash, but considering the Watcher's moves in Fraymakers, something like this might still be possible.
I scrolled past that tweet quickly and only saw "Pepp...", "heating things up" and a spice emoji

God, I wish
1646522194634.png

Stage looks rad though, nice to have a Pokémon Stadium - or should I say Sweet Dreams - equivalent.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

A new trailer was released with the annual Rivals of Aether direct, revealing that Orcane is the final early access character (joining Commander Video, Welltaro, and Octodad), along with showing which Rivals of Aether character became the assist character.

Early access launches this August.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

The tester build is out! While I didn't donate for this tier (so I can't give my impressions), the game is definitely making progress, and for those who did donate at that level, you should have an e-mail that gives you access to it.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I actually have tester access, and though it feels very barebones (because it is), the game genuinely feels very good and fluid to play. There's room for some fun combos, the hitboxes are perfectly done, and the flow of the match is great, not to mention everything that is sprited looks gorgeous; the music is phenomenal too. It's so much more fun than Multiversus.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Postal Dude was deconfirmed and we likely won't see any characters like that. Not the feel the devs of Fraymakers want.

Edit: Slime Ranchers and Team Reptile rep are also unlikely

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Interesting idea that I’m not sure how to feel about, but the Tank Man isn’t exactly a Video Game Character and yet he’s an Assist. Do you think we could get some sort of Non-Video Game, still Indie, Character added to Fraymakers?

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Interesting idea that I’m not sure how to feel about, but the Tank Man isn’t exactly a Video Game Character and yet he’s an Assist. Do you think we could get some sort of Non-Video Game, still Indie, Character added to Fraymakers?
I feel like Tankman only really qualified due to being the mascot of an iconic website that’s home to legions of influential / childhood indie games, primarily of the Flash variety. He’s the kind of guy who gets a fair exception from a “video games only” rule. But, of course, we don’t actually know if there is such a rule, and I won’t say there is one. Still, I don’t expect to see anyone else like him.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I mean, considering SSF2 broke that rule for Smash, I could see some Indie Animation Character get into Fraymakers. The one that's currently most vivid in my head for this category is Matt from Eddsworld, but you never know.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Early access for the game comes out in two weeks. I'm looking forward to trying out Octodad; I don't know if Fraytools are going to be included, but if they are, I'm going to see what I can do with the characters from Jump Ultimate Stars. (Goku, Luffy, Naruto, etc.).

FazDude

Smash Master
I did some sleuthing around - Fraymakers' early access will launch around its lowest Kickstarter price ($20 USD), but the price will be raised as more content is added.

(By the way, any plans for Fraymakers support threads, mods?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom