• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox VS Falco VS Wolf

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
There is no best of three, only depends on your stlye. Look around the boards to look at their pros and cons instead of spamming the boards.

Captainbrawl

Smash Apprentice
Fox has the best recovery of the 3 & He's the easiest to kill with.

1 shine spike & Falco's out.

I do'nt know anything about Wolf.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Wolfs reflector is mainly defense, hes more agressive then the other two, he has strong ground attacks and a slow powerful blaster, his sideB goes at an angle, his Upb isnt as noticeable as fox and falcos.

§witch

Smash Lord
Falco is the best, but they are all fairly close. His CG gives him and advantage over falco and wolf. Laser lock, he has the best protectile in the game, etc.

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
I've been wanting to ask this question as well since I'm pretty new to the space animals.

During my experimentation with these characters, I've found that the easiest one to pick up and play was wolf. He's heavy and doesn't get ko'd quickly, no need to master short hop lasers, **** near all his moves are one hitters with good knock back power and damage, and yet barely any delay or lag. He's also the easiest to hit and run with in the approach considering he has the best Fair, Ftilt, and Nair to A combo of the three.

Falco is clearly the best of the three in that he has good defense, offense, many kill moves and a mean Dair spike, a chain grab, good recover (better than wolf's), etc. You can spam SH double lasers to force an approach and if they get too close you can toss the reflector to push them away. Generally, Falcos moveset allow for many different ways to play an offense and defense. In my opinion, he seems to be the most unpredictable of the three.

Fox for me is the hardest to get used to of the three. Fox is FAST, has a GREAT hyphen smash which also happens to be his best kill move, can spam lasers and then illusion to the other side for more (lol), shine stalling. Fox can be hard to play as because you have to play more offensively with him than defensively. His lasers don't stun and you can run right through them. He is also VERY light and can be ko'd at early percentages. He has no spike, which is a **** shame considering how fast a good Fox player can take the battle to the edge of the stage.

I would say Fox is the worst of the three, but "worst" is too harsh of a word because he's not that bad. I would say that Fox is just disadvantaged.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Wolf is probably the easiest to start with, then falco not so far behind, then fox with the steepest learning curve, as E.M. said. The 'best' of them, teir list wise, would be Falco for sure. Wolf is a great aerial character, probably the best at killing in the air out of the three, but his recovery is harder to use because of the small sweet spot, so going off the stage is usually a bad idea. Fox I don't know much about, but his light weight and lack of a spike are the only things I feel are holding him back. Falco, as letterbomb said, has that chain grab that the rest of the world hates so much, and some really REALLY annoying lasers, and I don't see many falcos taking the fight to the air that much, but his aerial options are decent, just not as necesary as wolf and fox's.

Ace76

Smash Cadet
Falco is the best imo. His laser is the most useful out of the 3 and his reflector is good, and he has a chaingrab.

M@v

Subarashii!
falco is the best by a large margin. He has several spikes, can cg most of the cast, modest recovery, and good priority. He has one of the best neutral A combos in the game as well.

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
The Space Animals all have there pro and cons but in my opinion FOX has the least cons of the three, people tend to underestimate how great his recovery is, hands down third fastest fighter in the game, one of the fastest combo creators, has mindgames (if you know how to play fox), YOU CAN COMBO powerful finishers...As to Falco and Wolf i can actually list a whole lot these two have in common which isn't a con for Fox...Falco & Wolf, both fastfall their reflectors, majority of players resort to spamming lasers (Fox has a reflector to stop that), they're more hit and run based, horrible recoverys, in my opinion hardly any mindgames, extremely hard to even create and powerful combo finisher, most players depend on the same moves over and over and over again...etc...I just seem to find Fox way more versatile, diverse, and skilled all around...I do get dissapointed tho from time to time because they're alot of fox players who make him look really really bad due to people depending on the most dumbest combo starters and finishers...

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
it all depends on how you play the game. There is no real "best" character....

Fox
  • best recovery
  • has the most killing moves
  • can be played offensively and defesnively
  • he can fly with his reflector :laugh:

Falco
  • chaingrab into dair spike = godly
  • blaster has recoil
  • has the easiest combos
  • quickest recovery ( firebird is terrible though)

Wolf
  • most aggresive and can control the match easily
  • best smashes that do most damage
  • best spike of the three
  • most intimidating of the three

So it all depends on how you want to play. In my opinion, Wolf is the best because he's the easiest to get good with, but remeber, it's ONLY an opinion!

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
NintenJoe is definitley right it's just an opinion but i see things differently in terms of whose the best character because i do believe FOX is the best of the 3...I put it in terms of

What all 3 can do in a defensive situation...
What all 3 can do in a offensive situation...
What all 3 can do in terms of combos...
What all 3 can do when Edge Guarding...
What kind of mindgames can be created...

There is more to my thoughts and opinions but i think that says enough right there

null55

Smash Master
Fox is definitely the most underrated. I think he is a great character (so do the Japanese, apparently).

They're all great characters, but Falco is the better of the three. Definitely one of the top five characters in the game, top three is certainly possible. CGs, SHL/DL, and fantastic flow between his moves.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
Fox is the 2n best behind Falco. Fox can punish stuff that's not suspose to be punished. It pisses me off lol.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Wolf is easily the worst, lol.

He has horrid recovery, some piss poor match ups, etc.

I dunno much about Fox, but I'm certain he's better than Wolf.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
He has no spike, which is a **** shame considering how fast a good Fox player can take the battle to the edge of the stage.
ever hear of shine-spiking? not to mention B-air which has all the uses, timing, and outcome of a spike turned sideways. but you are right, the edge is my all-time favorite place to use Fox in any situation. I can't say that about Wolf or Falco, or any other character for that matter.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
NintenJoe is definitley right it's just an opinion but i see things differently in terms of whose the best character

There is more to my thoughts and opinions but i think that says enough right there
My apologies... I worded things a little bit differently than I intended. I meant to say that Wolf was the easiest to get good with, and therefore, the best character. (For people who don't play as any of the three spaceys) As for a player who takes the time to figure out combos and mindgames, any of the three could be good. Since your playing style fits Fox, he is the best.

I'm not saying that he's not, he's just not the best for me. :laugh:

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
My apologies... I worded things a little bit differently than I intended. I meant to say that Wolf was the easiest to get good with, and therefore, the best character. (For people who don't play as any of the three spaceys) As for a player who takes the time to figure out combos and mindgames, any of the three could be good. Since your playing style fits Fox, he is the best.

I'm not saying that he's not, he's just not the best for me. :laugh:
............................................................................................no.

Wolf is way worst than Fox or Falco. Just because he's easy to pick up doesn't mean he's good.

If equally skilled players were matched up, and they played at the top potential known for the three, it would be Falco>Fox>>>Wolf.

I stated reasons that are solid facts as to why he is not as good, you didn't.

§witch

Smash Lord
it all depends on how you play the game. There is no real "best" character....

Fox
  • best recovery
  • has the most killing moves
  • can be played offensively and defesnively
  • he can fly with his reflector :laugh:

Falco
  • chaingrab into dair spike = godly
  • blaster has recoil
  • has the easiest combos
  • quickest recovery ( firebird is terrible though)

Wolf
  • most aggresive and can control the match easily
  • best smashes that do most damage
  • best spike of the three
  • most intimidating of the three

So it all depends on how you want to play. In my opinion, Wolf is the best because he's the easiest to get good with, but remeber, it's ONLY an opinion!
Falco's spike is much more versatile, that's the main disagreement I have with this.

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
"Falco's spike is much more versatile, that's the main disagreement I have with this."
I agree, Falcos spike is amazing.

Just because he's easy to pick up doesn't mean he's good.
Doesn't apply to mk and snake, lolol:chuckle:

Usually the characters easiest to pick up are often time the best. If what you say may be true, then difficult characters like Fox can be better than user friendly characters. Let's hope so because as a CF mainer, things are not looking good for him right now.:mad:

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
I agree, Falcos spike is amazing.

Doesn't apply to mk and snake, lolol:chuckle:

Usually the characters easiest to pick up are often time the best. If what you say may be true, then difficult characters like Fox can be better than user friendly characters. Let's hope so because as a CF mainer, things are not looking good for him right now.:mad:
LOL. Snake's not easy to play well. There are way more people who suck with him than there are skilled. If you rely on his tilts to carry you through a fight, you're going to lose badly against anyone with skill. CF, as much as I would love him to be, is not good anymore. Just because characters are easy to pick up doesn't mean anything as to how good they are in the long term.

Back on topic, though.

Recovery-wise:
Falco: The only hope for a Falco is if they are above the stage. For a good player, a Falco below the stage means a free stock. Phantasm is good, but Fire Bird is alongside Link recovery-wise. 2/5

Fox: He's definitely got a better Up-B. Phantasm appears to be just a little shorter, but doesn't spike whoever comes out to kill you. 3/5

Wolf: Same boat as Falco. He can live above-stage, but below means edgehogging=death. And it travels faster than Falco's, so the timing that you can be invincible for is looser. 2/5

Projectile-wise:
Falco: Easily one of the best projectiles in the game. DSHL and SHL mean that approaching Falco is a pain that can get a free 10% for Falco. Add laserlocking, which, while situational, can turn a match completely if you mess up after a ledge attack, and you've definitely got the best of the three. 5/5

Fox: Blech. It can get some damage, but it's not going to mess up recoveries like the others, and it's easy to get through. In fact, if you can't, I'd say to consult your doctor on the effect of those flashing lights they always talk about in the safety manual. At least it's not the Cook. 2/5

Wolf: Everyone's been laser spammed by a Wolf, right? And everyone knows they're irritating. Fortunately, there's a solution! Jump. Once you get past the initial irritation, Wolf's lasers start becoming just interruptions. They're not as hard to perfect shield as the other two, and they're the most laggy of the three. (Imagine a Wolf with Short Hopped lagless lasers.) You can't crawl under them, though. 3/5

In the Air:
Falco: We've all heard it from his mouth. (Beak?) Falco prefers the air. (Which is why he's in a tank, right?) He's got some good aerials. His N-Air is good for setting up for an AAA combo or a grab, his B-Air is good for edgeguarding and killing, and his D-Air is his spike and setup into juggles when shorthopped. His D-Air is on par with Fox's on the list of things not to get hit with. It's good. His F-Air is good for... well, it's good for carrying them with you as you fall through the air, in order to edgeguard. And that's pretty much it. His U-Air is super situational, because generally Falco wants to be below people on the ground. Some aerials are good, some are situational. 3/5

Fox: He's good in the air. His B-Air is amazing, (Whose isn't in Brawl?) his D-Air sets up anything, his U-Air hits fairly hard, although it's somewhat in the same position as Falco's. His F-Air hits for 20-something%, and his N-Air is fast and reasonably powerful. Unfortunately, his shine is what he has to rely on for his spike. 4/5

Wolf: Wooow. His B-Air is fantastic, (Deja vu. I swear I've typed this before.) and his F-Air (I think) can be auto-cancelled. His U-Air, while somewhat situational, hits hard, and his D-Air hurts and spikes. Hard. And his N-Air, well, (Digression) everyone else locks with jabs and lasers. Who's the character who locks with his N-Air? That's right. Wolf. This thing is good. 5/5 (He's not perfect. I'm just saying that Falco's good, aerial-wise, and that Fox is better, and then Wolf is better than him. There were no new numbers.)

Just Plain Racking Up Damage:
Falco: He's got a chaingrab on every character except two or three. From that combo, he can spike, shine, or DAC (Gatling combo). And then he's got the AAA combo that is second to only Snake's (Who has the F-tilt as a better option), and numerous combos involving grabs, D-Airs, N-Airs, and various tilts. 4/5

Fox: As I said earlier, his D-Air chains into everything he has. His U-tilt combos on many characters, and most of his moves place the opponent in the space for an aerial or smash. His shine isn't what it used to be, though. 4/5

Wolf: He doesn't combo. All his moves hit them too far away to follow up. His Shine isn't as fast to go down as Fox's, which is a shame because many things could have been better if his shine went down instantly. Some of his tilts would be good comboers, but they're short range, and there's nothing to follow up with. 2/5

I think tier-wise, it goes:
Falco
Fox
Wolf

Wolf isn't as deep as the other two. You see one good Wolf, you've seen them all.
Fox isn't as good getting people off him.
Falco's recovery is terrible.

There it is. I'm not as good with Fox and Wolf as with Falco, so I may have gotten some things wrong.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
No I think you pretty much summed it up......I love Fox and I play him and not the other two......but in all reality he is the worst of the three. Head to head he might match up better vs. the space animals, but against the rest of the cast the other two are better. Also Wolf's dsmash is godly imho.

Jeza104

Smash Rookie
I Belive that fox is the better of the 3 despite falco's jump and wolf's power. Fox is a more All around charicter and i belive that that is the key to most battles!

megamanexev3

Smash Journeyman
In the hands of a skilled player, I think Fox is the most versatile. He's got his weakness, but there are some really awesome things I've seen done by good Fox players. In the hands of an average player, Falco is great, chaingrab helps. Wolf is just alright, he's over rated in my opinion and he isn't the most flexible character.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
PearlFloatzel: Aerial-Wise Falco is nowhere near a 3/5 maybe a 4/5, all the spacies have 4/5 in the air, IMO.

I think Falco is the best, Wolf's metagame relies too much on B-Air/F-Air, Falco can rely on a lot of other things, Fox is pretty much average, but still good, he dropped big-time in the tourney results =( , His Aerial moves PWN, but he can't use them as good as Falco since he doesn't jump as high and falls fast, but an amazing vertical recovery IMO I'd rate them like this

Falco >>> Wolf >> Fox

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
"His Aerial moves PWN, but he can't use them as good as Falco since he doesn't jump as high and falls fast"

lololol That's the whole reason I use Fox, because of how fast he can fall. It's like Pseudo L-canceling. SH nair to fast fall, chase, whatever from there on out. I do the same with captain falcon. People say "oh so and so falls too fast", I say they don't fall fast enough! :laugh:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
"His Aerial moves PWN, but he can't use them as good as Falco since he doesn't jump as high and falls fast"

lololol That's the whole reason I use Fox, because of how fast he can fall. It's like Pseudo L-canceling. SH nair to fast fall, chase, whatever from there on out. I do the same with captain falcon. People say "oh so and so falls too fast", I say they don't fall fast enough! :laugh:
I agree with you, I main Sheik and her speed and ability to get to the ground extremely fast after performing an aerial tips the battle in my favor countless times.

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
I think the main issue here is whether Fox is better than Falco.
Everyone agrees that Wolf is the worst of the three. (BTW, this doesn't mean he's bad. It's like saying that out of DDD and Metaknight, DDD is worse.)
Personally (I prefer the air) I think Falco is better. I think the two advantages that Fox has (Better Shine and recovery) are outweighed by Falco's advantages (Better laser, chaingrab, better spike).
Falco is better being just out of range of the opponent's attacks, so he can FSmash, move in with an aerial, SHL, Shine.
Fox needs to be in their face, constantly pressuring with fast autocancelled aerials and he needs to control exactly where he sends the other player.
Falco can switch between offense and defence instantly, and is good at both. He can camp with lasers.
Fox has few defensive options against a well-spaced opponent who is better in the air than him and can use his falling speed and weight against him. Fox can't camp.

And tourney wins agree with me. Along with many predicted tier lists.

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
Falco is highest on the tier list, and most of it can be attributed to a few more techs. Laser Lock, a Chaingrab, and SHDL (Short Hop Double Laser) that can stun. He has a good air and decent ground game. Spikes are a reliable form of KOs for Falco and his F-Smash has more power and a tad more range than Fox's. However, Falco has one of the worst recoveries of the three. When he's below the stage, it's very likely that you're KO'd since Firebird has such terrible vertical distance.

Fox got terribly nerfed in approach options. His a short hopped Nair used to be a fantastic quick approach in Melee, however most of Fox's attacks lack the damage to kill. Fox's most effective play style is unfortunately camping, with lasers, shieldgrabbing the approach and comboing out of the throw. Fox has more KO options, but that doesn't mean they're as easy to use. Shine Spike, Bair, Uair, Up Smash, and occasionally F Smash. Since Fox's attacks generally lack desired knockback, it's tough to get the opponent into the situation where they are able to be KO'd. Fox's learning curve is easily the steepest of the three. However, Fox does have the best recovery and aptly needs it since he's so **** light.

Wolf has the lowest learning curve and is by far much heavier than the other two. Wolf has the best ground game of the three, but much of his aerial attacks lack potency. His Fair is laggy, his Uair has terrible knockback, Dair is a decent spike, though has lots of initial lag frames, and his Bair is good. Wolf is the only character of the three that can reliably approach. His laser is also decent, but effective at camping since Wolf can move back the most per shorthop laser. However, while he is the heaviest, his recovery is the worst. His Side B goes at an awkward angle that requires you to fall for a longer amount of time to sweetspot the edge, which means more time for the opponent to edgeguard you. His Up B is rigid but quick. It can only go in 8 different cardinal directions, while Fox and Falco's Up B can go in 16 cardinal directions.

Falco > Fox > Wolf as it stands now in the tourney points list. However, they're all rather close.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Fox can use the shine a bit more offensively than Falco and Wolf, but that's not a huge advantage. Falco, imo, has a better bair that Fox (Wolf I don't don't diddly kong about) and his blaster has knockback. Fox, however, like stated earlier, can kill easier with his hyphen smash and has a ****** Dair that's pretty good on the field, but off, it's iffy. :p In any case, Falco, imo, is better than Fox and Wolf. They are all pretty good though. Oh, and Fox has a better recovery and is harder to kill up against. Like getting Usmashed by another Fox and getting killed at lower percents is a bit harder. :p That's about it. Oh and Falco's spike is r.a.p.e ****.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
............................................................................................no.

Wolf is way worst than Fox or Falco. Just because he's easy to pick up doesn't mean he's good.

If equally skilled players were matched up, and they played at the top potential known for the three, it would be Falco>Fox>>>Wolf.
Geez, chill out.... I'm saying that Wolf is the best character for me because I don't play as Fox, Falco, or Wolf. I never said Wolf was good, just better for me to play as him because he's easy to pick up. Maybe Wolf is the worst in general because a good player hasn't matched up with his playing style. Maybe Wolf is doomed to be the worst spacey forever. Who knows? I'm just simply stating that Wolf is best for me!:chuckle:

I stated reasons that are solid facts as to why he is not as good, you didn't
Oh, and by the way, I gave a list of each characters strength's... (if that counts as solid facts to why he's good)

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I play all three quite well,

I like using Fox the best out of the three, that doesn't mean I'm arguing who is the best or not -if you saw me play, you probably couldn't tell who I was better with-

Fox:
I like to use him for one main reason: I have options. Fox is quick enough that he can often get away with tactics that other characters get punished for.
-I have at least five different ways I can get up from the ledge -probably more-,
-several ways to approach an opponent. the direct approach usually doesn't work. one tactic I use is to feign an aggressive approach and punish their reaction. again, many ways to just do that.

Another reason I like using Fox is that I am free to take a lot more risks than when I use Falco or Wolf, especially over the edge, That great recovery isn't just for getting back after being clobbered by a smash attack.

Overall, in the hands of a skilled player, Fox is a lot more versatile, but I admit Fox does have the steepest learning curve out of all three, I'm still learning new things to this day.

to really get it, you simply have to look for 'Combo' videos of each character:

Falco: there are a lot of them, most of the videos aren't half-bad. There are a lot of Falco players., This is because Falco is easier to learn at the higher levels than Fox or Wolf.

Fox: there are less, a lot less, probably in single digit figures. New players are often turned off by his steep learning curve and many better players will pass up Fox for someone else.

Wolf: I've seen maybe two Wolf videos that weren't terrible. Although Wolf is popular among new players, the more experienced ones generally go with someone who isn't so unwieldy, I can't tell you how many times I self-destruct with Wolf while trying to gimp my opponent.

vinni57

Smash Cadet
I like wolf because of his originality in his moves compared to fox/ falco.
Someone good at countering fox will be able to counter falco with the same technique.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Just wanted you guys to know, that Wolf is NOT easy to learn. Not as hard as fox but harder than Falco (I learned how to be a decent Falco within 3 days...).

Wolf has a lot more depth, than most ppl think, that's why the always use stereotypes to describe him.

Either way, it's Falco > Wolf > Fox

Wolf is flexible JFYI

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Nonono. Fsmash is for punishment only. I thought as a Wolf player u should know that by now

Top Bottom