• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Match-Up General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shintarru

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1676-4016-3956
Its as M@V says punish. From the vids I see that sonic will do a lot of moves that can be punished if you avoid them.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Yeah Sonic was doing all the approaching in that first match. Isn't it possible for Fox to move around as well, or is he really stuck to one spot like that waiting to punish? There are multiple ways to dodge an approach that include running around mindgaming as well. Those were GG's though.

Coming to the end of the winter break, I am also wondering, what will this thread do once we finish all the characters? Will we be doing re-visits. The DK matchup should be finished after tomorrow's tourney.

M@v

Subarashii!
Yeah, when we are all done, we will loop back to characters we think that need looked at again/ people need help with.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Lulz.

I was talking to M@v before, and he mentioned it's really just about punishment. Watch them, punish, rinse, repeat. I don't have much Sonic experience, but from who I have played, it seems 60:40.

Your guys' call.
Yeah I said this like twice in this thread I think. I posted earlier saying it was about punishment, and then I wasn't sure if I posted it here or in a Sonic thread and said the exact same thing again and mention how the Fox Tenki rocked me so hard punishing me.

Both characters are all about punishing the other one.

Speed = the possibility of punishment. Grabbing is HUGE in this game and tricking the opponent. (i.e Fox's shine stalling/DD vs. Sonic's spin canceling.)

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
No ways! He has an advantage against ROB 55:45 and goes even with a lot of good characters. And it's not like Fox is the only person who has an advantage against low tiers. There is a reason why those characters are IN the low tier =D!

Trillion

Smash Ace
Battlefield is by NO MEANS sonic's best stage. Take it from a Sonic main. There is almost no room for a spin dash or a spin charge. ASC (aerial spin charge) gets messed up by the platforms. Just getting someone above the platforms does not gaurantee a kill for sonic by any means. It is true, that the up airs with the spring to up air is more possible on lower ceilings, but it makes it a lot harder for sonic to even get them up there in the first place. Final destination is much better because it gives more RSD (rolling spin dash) room. Besides, its really really easy to stop the up air chase by just using the dair for fox or even just mid-air dodges. The up air chase kill is overrated and is actually rather hard to do to an opponent who knows how to avoid it or knows to watch out for it.

SnowballBob33

Smash Ace
hes not a troll, thats just spec, i know him irl, hes a nub. fox does good vs a lot of dif high tiers like snake, rob and d3.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Mewtwo next please.

10melees.

Battlefield is by NO MEANS sonic's best stage. Take it from a Sonic main. There is almost no room for a spin dash or a spin charge. ASC (aerial spin charge) gets messed up by the platforms. Just getting someone above the platforms does not gaurantee a kill for sonic by any means. It is true, that the up airs with the spring to up air is more possible on lower ceilings, but it makes it a lot harder for sonic to even get them up there in the first place. Final destination is much better because it gives more RSD (rolling spin dash) room. Besides, its really really easy to stop the up air chase by just using the dair for fox or even just mid-air dodges. The up air chase kill is overrated and is actually rather hard to do to an opponent who knows how to avoid it or knows to watch out for it.
Interesting; will keep that in mind. It's still better for Sonic than it is for Fox.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Like zhamy said thanks for making us more self-aware of that.
P.S. Does anyone else notice that when I sonic hits like 100% the dodge roll until they hit the edge then spin dash. That becomes so predictable. I learned this T. Joe when you pace yourself you see LOTS of openings. I caught BOKU (hopefully I notable sonic main) off guard when he went to dodge roll.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
every sonic i've fought until now, give or take about 7-10, i can predict rolls. its just a habit to some of them. some run to the edge others i've seen roll to it. although they ones i fought do charge spindash near the edge 90% of the time.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I've never heard of BOKU before, I don't think any Sonic main on here has =_=

And ehhh, Spindash. It's not really a range that we use it from, because we basically never use it as a direct approach, but as punishment. I mean, people who spotdodge predicted spindashes are really easy to punish. It's usually "omg he's charging spindash" *spotdodge*, Sonic main "lul" *shield cancels spindash, runs over and grabs them as they finish spotdodging.*

I haven't seen a lot of reasoning as to why Fox has the advantage, most posts here have been "yeah, from my experience it's _____ because Sonic is really predicable with his spindashes."although we've got it down on our chart as Fox advantage. But I'm not disagreeing, it's just that predictability shouldn't factor into a character match-up analysis, as predictability is player dependant, and not character dependant.

I don't know, this is a weird match-up nontheless.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
I don't know, this is a weird match-up nontheless.
Tell me about it. A lot of what the Sonic players have said make sense, but there's not enough good ones posting to reach a reasonable conclusion.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Alright here's my summary from the DK VS Fox Forum Battle we had last night.

Well looking at my videos, it seemed he did have a bit of an adv. due to Fox's difficulty to approach, but I managed to find some ways around it. For example, if they try to space you with an up-b, you can shield it then still have the time to grab afterward. Lol and don't ever try to beat a b-air, it's just too safe. Wait for them to come down and then immediately go in for some combos, that in fact work really well against DK, unless you give him enough time to retaliate. Of course he can always shield when he comes down and just grab you again, so you really need your speed here. One hit from his smashes, and your gone as early as what? 70%? Monkey punches weren't too hard to avoid, you can tell if one is about to come, but sometimes the set up has come long before you realize it and you're finished. What I tended to do, was blindly rush in trying to deal some damage, before I realized you have to have patience and let DK go first. He's just to safe for you to approach unless you catch him off guard. Although lasers do seem to tick them off out of sheer projectile spamming.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
So from what I hear light is sounds as if 50:50 still a smart Fox would laser camp and let DK approach then work from there.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
im seeing at best is 45:55 DK. laser camping is only minorly effective since Usmash can't kill till over 100%He can take those few blaster shots to charge up his "guns" which make ours look like a limp noodle, camping isn't null/void though since it at least makes him come closer to you. then his godly reach. also platforms are not fun to be on cause DK reachs though them pretty well. Lights right on Bair beeing too safe. i think i spent more time walking/running around poking for openings than anything else.

M@v

Subarashii!
^keep the DK discussion that forum battle thread. We are on sonic here. It keeps things from getting confusing.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
im thinking were technically still on him, but discussion has slowed so i think we should have a summary and move on to say Lucario?

we can always come back later to Sonic

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Let's talk about Bowser.... because somehow he placed higher than us.
I agree, i don't really get why Bowser is higher than Fox, so i want to know why. Also, Fox ***** Bowser doesn't he?

EDIT: (You guys like my sig? I made it all by myself with some tutorials ^_^ Took me 4-5 hours but at least i learned on how to do it =D. I know off-topic :p)

Lightning93

Smash Champion
*still needs to look at new tier list because hasn't finished other post yet*

Well, I thought it would be better to put matchup discussion on the matchup board lol.

And wow Chileno! I already noticed and I thought someone else made it for you! I need to learn how to do some of that stuff, can you send me some links in a pm?

Galanoth7395

Smash Apprentice
lol Lightning, your sig is awesome enough.

I can't play video games on Sunday nights or "school days" (I can play after school on Fridays though).* Which sucks, because I can't give you guys input XP

*In case anyone's confused, I'm sort of embarrassed to say this, but I've never been to a tournament (yet...). Is that bad?

EDIT: Has anyone noticed Fox's score?
OMG

Zhamy

Smash Champion
*In case anyone's confused, I'm sort of embarrassed to say this, but I've never been to a tournament (yet...). Is that bad?
I've only been to one Brawl tournament. When you want to go, then go. It's an expeirence.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
lol Lightning, your sig is awesome enough.

I can't play video games on Sunday nights or "school days" (I can play after school on Fridays though).* Which sucks, because I can't give you guys input XP

EDIT: Has anyone noticed Fox's score?
OMG
It's not bad, it's just you don't really have anything to back you up at the moment other than your words. Tourney results kinda give you a little bit of credit in the smash community.

O how can we forget the statement "If you haven't gone to a tourney, it doesn't matter who you've beat because tourney matches is where people are serious."

^Jerk faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom