• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Match-Up General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
seems that way. but thats not such a bad thing is it? although i've seen more arguing for 60:40 Fox than evens by just a bit more.

so how about stages? who likes/hates where?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Banning FD against Sonic should be obvious.

BF means you can KO even earlier and limits some of Sonics normal appoaches, but I can't really think of a stage for Fox that Sonic does bad on.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Go ahead and take Sonic wherever, he doesn't have any stages that will screw him over like Snake on RC.

Except maybe Jungle Japes, but IMO I always ban the stage anyway...

gantrain05

Smash Master
Go ahead and take Sonic wherever, he doesn't have any stages that will screw him over like Snake on RC.

Except maybe Jungle Japes, but IMO I always ban the stage anyway...
japes isn't a good stage for fox either, i wouldn't recommend going there, super high ceiling so no Usmash kills, and fox's fast falling nature make that water suicide, personally i like delfino for fox, and as a CP i like to go to luigi's mansion. i dunno why, i just seem to get alot of benefit from the stage.

The Jort

Smash Rookie
I think that the matchup is even between the two. Neither character has much of an advantage over the other.

With stages I usually just choose battlefield or smashville against a sonic. Sometimes I choose lylat cruise or the new yoshi's island.(I'm not sure why, I just kind of like those two stages.)

gantrain05

Smash Master
ooh, i also love going to corneria with fox, super low cieling and the side blast zones are so close it makes his KO game so much better, an Uair or Usmash on the top of corneria will kill at like 40% lol.

The Jort

Smash Rookie
ooh, i also love going to corneria with fox, super low cieling and the side blast zones are so close it makes his KO game so much better, an Uair or Usmash on the top of corneria will kill at like 40% lol.
oh yeah, that is a good stage to play on.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Just remember Sonic's killing problems are solved when you take him to Corneria as well.

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
I think that the matchup is even between the two. Neither character has much of an advantage over the other.

With stages I usually just choose battlefield or smashville against a sonic. Sometimes I choose lylat cruise or the new yoshi's island.(I'm not sure why, I just kind of like those two stages.)

...What the ****?

Battlefield is Sonics best stage. Lylat Cruise is Foxes worst stage. Smashville is advantage Sonic. The New Yoshi's Island is a pain for Fox to play against Sonic on, even if Sonic doesn't like it much either.

Corneria is all advantage Fox, Final Destination is neutral.

inb4finaldestinationissonicsbeststage, it's not.

The Jort

Smash Rookie
...What the ****?

Battlefield is Sonics best stage. Lylat Cruise is Foxes worst stage. Smashville is advantage Sonic. The New Yoshi's Island is a pain for Fox to play against Sonic on, even if Sonic doesn't like it much either.

Corneria is all advantage Fox, Final Destination is neutral.

inb4finaldestinationissonicsbeststage, it's not.
How is Corneria an all Fox advantage? Did you even read what Kinzer and Lightning93 said about that stage? And how is Battlefield Sonic's best stage?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It isn't. People are more fanboyish than we are.

They're forgetting that Sonic can kill just as early as Fox can by landing D/FSmash, and now our U-Throw becomes a viable kill move.

Sonic will reap the same benefits on any stage Fox will, and perhaps more.

Sonic has no bad stages except JJ which doesn't help Fox either.

Edit: Way to use my 4,000th post.

More spam!

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Sonic has more of an advantage than Fox does on Corneria. From what I know, Fox's advantages on Corneria are USmash, Uair, occasionally Fair and Bair. Sonic's outweight that. Sonic's Usmash will even kill on Corneria, Sonic's Utilt is a reliable kill move, Sonic Pawnch kills much earlier than usual and, Sonic's Pawnch being stronger than Fox's Fsmash, It'll kill earlier. On top of that, Bair and Fsmash off the fin will kill much earlier as Fox's recovery isn't as good as Sonic's. If it happens to Sonic, he can spinshot into spring, but Fox only has DJ into Firefox or illusion. And, I've seen people use this, Sonic can do something that makes him do a sliding Utilt on top of the fin for really early kills. AND Sonic has that spin dash glitch where he has invincibility frames and goes horizontally past the fin. I may have missed some Fox things, but I doubt I missed too many.

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
Corneria is more advantageous to Fox because the moves that would benefit Sonic on Corneria are the same moves that he wouldn't try on any other stage, because they're the easiest to stop and punish.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Corneria is more advantageous to Fox because the moves that would benefit Sonic on Corneria are the same moves that he wouldn't try on any other stage, because they're the easiest to stop and punish.
exactly, sonic can EASILY kill with Dsmash/Usmash/Fsmash/Fair/Uair/Bair, at very low percents, and Dair sets up perfectly for an Usmash/Dsmash, it gives benefits too sonic as well, but he won't be killing nearly as early, and sonics kill moves are harder to land than fox's are.

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
exactly, sonic can EASILY kill with Dsmash/Usmash/Fsmash/Fair/Uair/Bair, at very low percents, and Dair sets up perfectly for an Usmash/Dsmash, it gives benefits too sonic as well, but he won't be killing nearly as early, and sonics kill moves are harder to land than fox's are.
Sonic can easily be killed* with....

Zhamy

Smash Champion
What are you guys talking about, Sonic's Fair is amazing. Almost as amazing as Flamedash.

Corneria really can go either way, so I'd say pick carefully depending on your opponent's playstyle.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Pick Yoshi's Island (Melee) or Halberd. I'm a fan of picking Pokemon Stadium (Melee) regardless of who I'm fighting.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Back on topic, Sonic is 60:40 Fox because Sonic is a fast little bugger with some stupid options, but Fox just does "better" in the machup in terms of ability to punish, combo, and kill.

However, stage choice is also pretty **** important, and you want to stay away from Battlefield and FD for sure. Smashville/Yoshi's Island aren't bad choices, but they're not good ones either. Lylat has never been friendly for Fox (although the slanted edges do weird things to Sonic too), and Corneria is a "choose carefully" stage - depending on the playstyle of the Sonic, you may or may not want to take him there.

darkspatan117

Smash Journeyman
So 60:40 Fox favors seem pretty accurate but I think Corneria good for Fox because of the low celling

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
So 60:40 Fox favors seem pretty accurate but I think Corneria good for Fox because of the low celling
...I give up on ranting, do whatever you people think is right, but all I'm telling you is that it's a dead even matchup... Just don't go complaining to me when you just happen to be at a tournament and you get that false sense of security....

At least Sonic has more freedom for stages than Fox does... Lylat Cruise anybody?

shinato91

Smash Apprentice
Why not 55-45 fox favor because of the mobility sonic has in the stages compared to us

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Lulz.

I was talking to M@v before, and he mentioned it's really just about punishment. Watch them, punish, rinse, repeat. I don't have much Sonic experience, but from who I have played, it seems 60:40.

Your guys' call.

M@v

Subarashii!
Played a lot of sonics at my tourney last sunday...and thats exactly what it was.

Punish, Punish, Punish.

Here are the tourney matches of my fox vs sonic matches in the tourney bracket.

M@v(Fox) vs Phoenix Dark(Sonic) Round 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T00bloQXYms

M@v(Fox) vs Phoenix Dark(Sonic) Round 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOBqGhUUQdc

M@v(Fox) vs Phoenix Dark(Sonic) Round 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SakWyjBZ-WU

Final Smash '08 Winner's Final Round 1: M@v(Fox) vs Ithrowthings(Sonic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScAY88x05n8

Final Smash '08 Winner's Final Round 2: M@v(Fox) vs Ithrowthings(Sonic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StRn6rSgEIw

the last 3 that used to be up had broken links. will fix later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom