• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox - Guide and Discussion Thread

Sangoku

Smash Master
Sorry if I misunderstood you, but the mulitiples "who cares if..." made me think you were saying something like you were right and other opinions were wrong. Sorry again if that wasn't the case :).

But if you don't like techskill, we can exchange: I get yours and you get mine =D. I would never complain if that would happen.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Oh well I guess I will have to train mine myself. How do you train by the way? Do you always get to play human players or you just play CPUs and training mode?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Getting your tech skill from humans is better than CPUs, IMO, mostly because you're less likely to get bored. I like to practice tech skill stuff I'm working on between stocks; and yes, it works (I wouldn't recommend this if it's a new tech, though; practice it in training mode until you feel you get the gist of it and you only need the muscle memory). However, if you're a console player like Ballin and you can't play other people much, then you'll probably be forced to practice vs CPUs.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Two things y'all fox players should try:

1) shine jab out of shield

2) for tech chase dash past where they are hitting, turn around, and jump. If they roll the direction you came from you laser, if they stay in place you dair, if they roll the other way you bair.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I tech chase by running one way but turning around and low lasering the other way. That way you've got both options covered.

Sangoku

Smash Master
My fox is way better when I try not to combo. Like sheer said, laser to grab is really efficient. However I sometimes miss the low laser and get owned by randomly dashing grab falcons. Also what can you do against pika? Would do just frame perfectly laser every time?

The Star King

Smash Hero
My Fox is way worse when I try not to combo. Sometimes I try to techchase like Sheer but I always mess up the timing. I'm pretty bad at techchasing in general.

Sangoku

Smash Master
If I try to combo, I always end up missing something (failing a z-cancel, not attacking quickly enough after landing an aerial, getting grabbed out of shield, etc), either because of lag/delay, or simply because my techskill sucks lol. Also in general (not only with fox), I feel the more I grab, the better I am, which is sad.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Aggro upsmashy Falcons are harder for me than Pikachus now.

Not sure how to explain how I play vs Pikachu though. I guess I kinda control where they go with lasers and spacing. It probably helps that I actually try to combo now too.

RickySSB

Smash Ace
Fox's Nair + Uiar (First Hit) + Fast Fall Fair + Utilt.
Fox's Nair o Fair + Dtilt + USmash + Fair + Nair.
Fox's Uair (First Hit) + Fast fall Nair + Dtilt.
Fox's (Medium Damage) First Jump Uair + Second Jump Bair + Nair + Laser + USmash.
Fox's Shine Cancel + Dtilt + Short Hop Running Fair + Utilt and any aerials.
Fox's Nair + Short Hop Running Uair + Bair + Dair + Any Smash (on Jiggs).

I Love that combos.

:):);):):)

ballin4life

Smash Hero
If I try to combo, I always end up missing something (failing a z-cancel, not attacking quickly enough after landing an aerial, getting grabbed out of shield, etc), either because of lag/delay, or simply because my techskill sucks lol. Also in general (not only with fox), I feel the more I grab, the better I am, which is sad.
What combos are you trying to do?

Sangoku

Smash Master
Simple stuff like dtilt -> fair/dair -> uptilts -> dair -> jabs. Any combination of those moves basically. Just in prevention, the problem isn't the dairs as almost nobody I play against has good enough DI to make it obsolete. Or when I try to pressure a shield with jab/dtilt I often get shield grabbed, while if I grab first there's no problem.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I almost never use Fox's dair to combo TBH. There's usually an alternative (and better) option.

But if nobody has good enough DI to make it obsolete, then I guess it's a personal problem. More time in training mode?

Sangoku

Smash Master
If I was getting some more vids of my fox, would anyone give tips? I know ballin would cause he's a nice guy, but I'm almost sure nobody else would. And I need to find someone who agrees on playing a recorded match. I was thinking about matches against people who **** me (so you could see my mistakes) and people I easily beat (so you could see my combos and tell me they suck).

The Star King

Smash Hero
Hey man, I don't not give advice because I don't want to. I just feel like I'm bad at giving advice. ballin's not the only nice guy

But I guess me getting defensive when I wasn't even specifically called out says something.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I am terrible at giving specific fox advice for some reason.

Also SK, you're pretty good at giving advice. Remember back in the day you played me when I was a TOTAL scrub and I was like

"SK, do you mash to z-cancel"

"*****, no"

"Well then how do I get better at the timing?"

"*****, practice it"

and here I am today.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'm sure there will be plenty of people willing to give your Fox advice. Record some vids and show them to us brochacho.

I usually hit z twice for z-canceling.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I am terrible at giving specific fox advice for some reason.

Also SK, you're pretty good at giving advice. Remember back in the day you played me when I was a TOTAL scrub and I was like

"SK, do you mash to z-cancel"

"*****, no"

"Well then how do I get better at the timing?"

"*****, practice it"

and here I am today.
Lol

Ok, I'm bad at giving general advice for improvement. If you had asked me how to be good back then, I would have been like, "Uh... practice?"

But maybe it's a SKILL I can IMPROVE. So I'll TRY to give you advice, Sangoku. Don't hate me if it's mediocre advice, though.

DMoogle

A$
If I was getting some more vids of my fox, would anyone give tips? I know ballin would cause he's a nice guy, but I'm almost sure nobody else would. And I need to find someone who agrees on playing a recorded match. I was thinking about matches against people who **** me (so you could see my mistakes) and people I easily beat (so you could see my combos and tell me they suck).
Ask and ye shall receive. I *usually* don't give advice in videos (actually, I don't want video matches except for a few players') unless they ask for it.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I didn't say people didn't want to give advice :). But it's a fact that last time I posted matches (even if I did things well: a set of 3 matches, same matchup, getting ***** by the best Euro) only ballin gave me tips.

If now I have all the super pros like Star King, A$ and SheerMadness saying I might get advices, I would be more than glad to record stuff. I shall wait till I don't lag (noobs using my netz :(), then I'll try to find a recording partner.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I hit z twice for zcanceling Link's dair. Everything else I try to get a clean one hit.
That's actually probably better because I seem to miss z-cancels on Link's dair more than any other move.

Or maybe I just notice it more, because the lag is painful. **** grinds into my very soul.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
That's actually probably better because I seem to miss z-cancels on Link's dair more than any other move.

Or maybe I just notice it more, because the lag is painful. **** grinds into my very soul.
Yeah I hit it once at the point where the sword first touches him/the shield so if I miss I zcancel it fine and then I hit it again a little bit later on reflex just in case I sword bounce or the shield stun prolongs the timing window.

And yeah that ending lag if you miss is just so infuriatingly punishable.

Sangoku

Smash Master
kuzinator: you didn't say you would, but of course you're super pro enough =D. The problem is I won't find a recording partner... Everyone has excuses for not letting me record. Maybe I should be dishonest and record without asking >=(.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Lol. Smash 64 community so self-conscious.

Maybe record and leave your opponent anonymous? More people might agree to that.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yeah maybe :(. But it's sad how ego-centered this game seems to be (for euros at least). People who are afraid of not doing too well just don't want to get recorded.

Also, very few players would play me anyway...

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Maybe y'all should chill a bit.

Like a certain backwards countrinent down south.

We are the only countrinent, thank you very much.

I miss cancelling Fox D-Air and Pika F-Air all the time, the latter sometimes on purpose. I hate frame skip.

Top Bottom