• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox - Guide and Discussion Thread

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Actually I'm pretty sure you can use the c button and then cancel with and Upsmash, but you have to use the upsmash before you leave the ground. It's just a lot harder and much easier with Jigglypuff where you have a lot more lee-way to cancel it.

Also tc29, what method are you using to teleport? Using the rotate analog 270 degrees method is much easier if you want to finish the teleport with an upsmash.

Kuz - I know ftilt> teleport>upsmash works on mario at certain percentages, not sure about other floaties.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
im able to do it on kirby at around 80%

ftilt to tele usmash that is

might play around with some other floaties

and yes, it kills

tc29

Smash Rookie
Ciaza, i slam the joystick the opposite way i'm running and then usmash, pretty much the same way u teleport with jigglypuff. I was messing around with it today in training mode and got 2 or 3 teleport usmashes but most of them were fails. What's the difference between the 270° usmash and what I do?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
The 270 degree methos when you run, then rotate the joystick 270 degrees (so final position of the stick is pointing up) and then press A/B. With practice it's probably the best way to teleport upsmash/UpB

Sangoku

Smash Master
I also press back then up and I don't fail so much tele-upsmash.

I might try rotation as ciaza said real pros use it and only noobs don't.
inb4 don't put words in my mouth

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
I use to do it in the 270 degree way.

however:
What's the advantage of doing 270 when you can just press back then up
I didn't know that way would work, does "back, then up" needs to be pressed immediately?
Or how many frames should be waited?

Sangoku

Smash Master
I don't think most of us count the number of frames :awesome: .

Just quickly press back then upsmash. It is fast, but nothing difficult (not like trying to shdl without sliding lol).

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
I don't think most of us count the number of frames :Awesome:
It was just to have an idea though.
lol
(not like tryinh to shdl without sliding lol).
If it's easier than that, then it's a piece of cake. :p

And while I think about it, I'm almost sure it'd be easier that the 270 degree way, will try it when I get home.

EDIT: Does with Jigg and Samus work the same way?
And does this method work in the (U) version?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I don't understand why Sheer says Link is "the gayest character in the game" - I'm assuming because of projectile spam - and then turns around and proceeds to find enjoyment from doing nothing but lasering the **** out of people. U crazy son

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah, maybe you get kicks out of lazars but not gimping, but dem pewpewpews are 10000x more irritating to your opponent than a little shinespikin' would ever be.

Link is pretty gay tho. Up there with kirby for gayest in game.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Link is indeed the gayest mother******. Always running away and throwing projectile. And you can't even complain about it as people will say "no other choice with link, since he's so bad at everything else". Link is a trend too, there are some periods when everybody picks him...

:phone:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Tell me how am I supposed to catch him when he runs away all the time? Assuming I play Ness. (this isn't the right thread, so maybe we should take it to Ness' thread or Link's).

The Star King

Smash Hero
I like to think my Link is pretty aggressive. It would probably be a bit better if I was more campy, but it's still a lot better than the vast majority of Links out there.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Arrogance fail. "the vast majority of Links out there" doesn't know how to Z-cancel. You should have said "it's still a lot better than every Link in the world save only four or five." or something like that.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Arrogance fail. "the vast majority of Links out there" doesn't know how to Z-cancel. You should have said "it's still a lot better than every Link in the world save only four or five." or something like that.
I meant the vast majority of competitive Links. I see your point, though; I'm clearly not arrogant enough. I have much yet to learn.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Link is such a pain to play and play against. I feel like such an ******* if I gimp him on low percents and I am a terrible Link. I honestly don't mind playing against laser spammers though, because at least it takes a decent amount of tech skill to shdl consistently.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Well clearly he does.

I'd rather get slaughtered by a tactic that takes a considerable amount of effort to do rather than something as easy as kirby utilts or a bthrow.

Though I personally don't think shdl is too hard.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
I'd rather get slaughtered by a tactic that takes a considerable amount of effort to do rather than something as easy as kirby utilts or a bthrow.

Though I personally don't think shdl is too hard.
Summed up my point perfectly.

For me, shdl is the hardest useful tech skill in the game, I have to use 2 hands to do it consistently :/

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Who cares about a tactic that's technically hard? I'd actually be more pissed that my opponent was able to slaughter me just by practicing in his room for 10 million hours (ironically though that's all I do LOL)

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Having tech skill != being good.

people still don't understand this? I don't like things where you can become good simply because of tech skill because tech skill is uninteresting - it's just dull practice. The interesting part of the game is playing against your opponent.

And by the way, if you're losing to "some noob who can only gay you" that person is better than you. Sorry.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Assuming you're losing, if the person has techskill or not he's better than you. But if he has techskill it means he's more experienced and it will feel more natural if you lose to that person. I've never said techskill = being good either. For me the relation has always been:
if you're good => you have techskill.
The contrapositive being obviously true and the converse false.

"And by the way, if you're losing to "some noob who can only gay you" that person is better than you. Sorry."
Did I say the opposite? Noob doesn't necessarily mean he's worse than you.

And it's funny from a ssb 64 player to bash techskill. While it might not be that important compared to melee, it still really is compared to some other fighting games. Would you like to lose to a kid who presses every buttons randomly in tekken (which often happens)? Even if your techskill is better and you know the matchups better or whatever you're still worse than that kid. Yet you wouldn't find that more frustrating? Well it's up to you, but you could at least understand if others think otherwise...

To be honest I don't like the tone of your posts so I'll stop the argument with that one.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
What's wrong with the tone of my posts? I'm not trying to be a **** or anything - sorry if it seems like that. Just stating my opinion.

It would be a million times worse to lose to a random button masher - but that would also be taking the "mindgames"/playing against the opponent aspect of the game too, not just the tech skill.

And yes, it is somewhat ironic for me to bash tech skill considering that all I do is practice tech skill against CPUs and that I have pretty good tech skill

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Technical skill is very important.

Obviously in ssb64 you need to have mastered the basic technical aspects to compete at a competitive level, z-canceling, DI, teching, etc etc.

Between two players who have mastered those things, if either player is significantly smarter (spacing/reading) they will almost always win. So someone that might be more technical than you but doesn't play as intelligently will be at a disadvantage.

Technical skill becomes the deciding factor when both are equally intelligent players. In both melee and ssb64.

Top Bottom