• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox - Guide and Discussion Thread

ballin4life

Smash Hero
There's no such thread

DI is highly dependent on the situation... you just have to think about which way will net you the best results. Smart DI comes with experience. often different people like to DI things different ways, like falcon's fair is really important to DI but people do it like 6 different ways that all work sometimes. samus's up-B you DI hard up or hard down if you don't get it right off. Those are sort of the big ones that there's a specific way to do. if you get sh uair'd by a falcon or uair chained so you're near a plat, you wanna DI down to catch the plat and tech. stuff like that.
you forgot drills

Battlecow

Play to Win
I mean DI out of them right

pretty self-explanatory

in front/behind depends on a lot of stuff

firo

Smash Ace
Double short-hop lasers don't need to be button-slided. I don't find it too difficult just to tap c-left and then just spam b.

On the other hand, does anyone have some advice for doing shine jabs? I can't even get close to doing it. Is it easier to start from a crouch?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Where is your problem? If you can fast shine you should be able to do it. Just hear the timing in your head and down-B -> a with the same timing.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Try slowing down between the shine and the jab, the hit lag on shine threw me off too, then all of a sudden I just sorta got it.

:phone:

Yobolight

Smash Lord
All this speedy button sliding allows me to see why there seems to be connection between Fox and Ness players and to a lesser extent Yoshi players.

prisonchild

Smash Ace
Technical question about Fox - I use 64 controller

For short hop double laser should I use the stick or the buttons? If I use the buttons do I slide my fingers?

On shine jump-canceling. I typically do a button slide, is this optimal?
were you trying to short hop with the stick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHXKISnsMXg

about 15 seconds in alvin does it to nak

edit: might as well ask another question.

is there a thread explaining how to di moves? i dont seem to always know which direction to di out of different combos/moves
di as far away from pika as you can. that's my advice. but yeah like bcow said, it depends. sometimes it's good to mix it up too, di away one time and di down the next (on the same move)

also, i find it a lot harder to di against kirby than most (nvm, all) other characters. his utilt is too fast and his drill is not like any other drill

rpotts

Smash Lord
AFAIK there are only two angles, standing jump and running/walking jump. It's possible out of either, but is very manageable out of standing jump while being substantially more difficult out of running jump.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
i started playing online this week, and realised a few things about how i am playing fox.

is it bad that i dash pivot as my main method of stage movement?
is drill-JC shine a real combo? furthermore what are all the good options out of drill?
my teleports are much worse on emulator, is there a reason for this?
when is the appropriate time to nair? i mostly use it to edgeguard to cover the ledge, or tent combo throw nair usmash
also i seem to have started doing many aerial-shines on puff. like hit them with fair/bair, then follow with dash JC shine. is this good? it seems to *** up floatier chars, puff, weegee and samus mostly

asianaussie

Smash Hero
dash pivot is fine as movement

z-cancelled d-air drill leads into lots of things, and since shine is like 1 frame startup it should combo

who knows

ff double jump n-air ends a few combos, this includes run-off ledge ff jump n-air, it's also stronger than fox's other two horizontal hits so if you want a more definitive hit mid-percent you can use that - also has some utility in tent combos to end in u-smash

shine is good vs puff and sets up a strong edgeguard opportunity (puff recovering low is really bad) - when puff has expended both of her first two midair jumps a shine from stage level completely prevents her from recovering

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
online today i got a 0-death combo on jiggs that i thought was only because he was a poor specimen

sh dair jab1 jab2 downtilt JCshine jab JCshine fall off ledge fair

is there nothing jigs could have done or was that a legit combo?

aand im pretty sure ive gotten landing first hit uair usmash, as well as first hit uair into untilt

can you get landing first hit uair shine?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
low percents i go down and away and try to get a tech roll. higher percents up and away

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
is there a list of percents i can chainthrow characters on the tent? i really like chainthrows on the tent

The Star King

Smash Hero
Like usual it depends on the situation

I think nair has a slightly higher trajectory too but I could be wrong

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
haven't tried it against dk, but it works pretty well on link, and is relatively safe against him so you don't have to deal with getting embarrassed by his up b

The Star King

Smash Hero
haven't tried it against dk, but it works pretty well on link, and is relatively safe against him so you don't have to deal with getting embarrassed by his up b
If Link is spacing his recovery correctly? Doubt it.

Same goes for DK but that shielding on the ledge actually looks like a pretty good bait if your opponent doesn't know about it. Can be good for the first few times I guess.

The Star King

Smash Hero
OK you got me with dat video evidence, good job ;)

I still think that if he up-b'd a little lower and didn't go forward Jaime wouldn't have been able to shine him. But like I said the shield is good bait, since it isn't a common tactic, and you want to clip with your up-b. I probably would have fallen for it.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Has anyone done angled-shine OoS before? It's ridiculously good against a recovering DK (or at least, it seems to me).
Yah I've done that vs DK for a long time.

I also crouch cancel shine Luigi's up b.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
That video of Jaime and Isai is where I got this idea for the low-angled shine OoS against DK. Also, against Link, it seems to me that if a recovering Link hits a Fox's shield with the powerful up-b attack, then there's too much hit stun for the Fox to do a shine OoS. In the video, if Isai had done the up-b at the top of his second jump instead of dropping just a little bit, I don't think he would have died.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
ive done that kind of shine spike before too, i call the technique an 'advancing shine' because you move forward a bit oos

its easiest on luigi(CC) and dk oos, ive gotten it on link once(exactly like that vid) and i agree i dont hink you can shine oos with the strong upB although i need to try more extensively

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
That's why I asked. Assumed it was a shield cause it didn't seem that significant otherwise but I guess it is considering pika wasn't popped up by a jab or anything before the shine.

Top Bottom