• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox - Guide and Discussion Thread

TANK64

Smash Lord
WTF please teach me how to shield pressure with Fox's jab ... that never ever works in my experience.
Hmm, I've heard you say this before, but it always works in my experience. I just spam **** on people shields and get away with it. Guess the peeps I play are doing it wrong, but in all honestly most of foxes **** is like a frame trap on everyone lol, so you don't get punished (obv fox dittos beware of shine, frame 1 too good). Most of the time though, you should be straight, especially behind them. Shine>jab>grab/dtilt/whatever.

also DK is dangerous. His grab/upB is too good.

who cares how PRO bcow is ... playing him on console is really all about meeting the great battlecow in person.
lmao dude, I swear I had a dream last night that I met Cattle irl. His voice was really deep and not what I expected, and it weirded me out so I wanted to leave lol.

It was a dream I was at Apex btw, not just about Battlecow lol.

/Still slightly creepy

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, if you're behind someone while they're shielding, you might as well keep jabbing. In the best case, you get a jab and grab in. In the worst case, they roll away and if you read it, you can still get a grab in.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Hmm, I've heard you say this before, but it always works in my experience. I just spam **** on people shields and get away with it. Guess the peeps I play are doing it wrong, but in all honestly most of foxes **** is like a frame trap on everyone lol, so you don't get punished (obv fox dittos beware of shine, frame 1 too good). Most of the time though, you should be straight, especially behind them. Shine>jab>grab/dtilt/whatever.

also DK is dangerous. His grab/upB is too good.
I still don't get it. I'm pretty sure I get shield grabbed too when I try to jab on shield lol. Obv being behind them is better.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'm fairly certain all of you are underestimating Fox's jab range (and other char's grab ranges).

I jab shields all the time without getting punished.

Vs tall characters I jab them their shield, jump back and low laser their shield, take a step or so forward and jab their shield again. If I keep the proper range I have yet to have anyone shield grab me out of it. They can escape it by jumping or w/e but not by shield grabbing.

I also jab/f-tilt/jab/f-tilt shields which works with the proper spacing and vs certain characters. I do it a lot of Pika (who has the biggest grab range I think) so I'm pretty sure it works vs almost everyone.

Looks like you ppl need to work on your jab spacing.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Jabbing is wonderful shield pressure but I agree with Boom and think you should opt for the grab instead. Am I the only person who juggles with stick jump uairs? They work really efficient.

RickySSB

Smash Ace
Talking about Fox, I'm using Utilt + Shine ,since I saw it on a TANK match. It work better.

TANK64

Smash Lord
/Wut

against shield? or for comboing?

Either way if TANK did it, it MUST have been a great idea/best option :troll:

EDIT: @Ballin', I never come across a problem really unless it's DK, and I don't play Pikas often lol.

@Sheer, nice explanation.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Fox really shines when he's right outside of grab range, poking at the opponent and getting ready to interceipt whatever they'll do. A good mix of laser / tilts / jab is usually enough to remain safe and eventually force something out.

That being said this is greedy and just a grab usually does the work, depending on the MU you might want to just go for it unless it's Samus or Link or something.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Going for a grab immediately after a dtilt or jab works on everyone but Boomfan :mad:

ballin if you just jab a shield repeatedly you cannot be shieldgrabbed

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
so do I just have horrible timing? Because it seems to happen to me a lot
Yeah, it happens to me a lot too. I think the timing is just razor thin. Press A too fast and you get the flurry. Press it too slow, they'll shield grab you. That's why I stick to shines.

The Star King

Smash Hero
^yeah I lolwut'd when I got to the last sentence

maybe you can grab if it's stale?

EDIT: wait nvm it doesn't stale, YOU JUST SUCK BALLIN :troll:

The Star King

Smash Hero
funny coming from you

because when I try to grab you YOU GRAB ME

but yeah it works vs everyone else

prisonchild

Smash Ace
i've always admired good foxes, but never really taken it upon myself to practise with him. that's changed now, and i've already gotten a lot better (still a long way to go though). i've watched videos of isai, ballin, alvin and maltfox (lol). are there any other foxes in particular i should watch? preferably with a different style.

also, is shine > jab just jabbing ASAP after the shine before your opponent gets out of reach?

The Star King

Smash Hero
it's not ASAP, if you press a too early it will not come out due to hitlag. but it's quick after yeah

ballin4life

Smash Hero
i've always admired good foxes, but never really taken it upon myself to practise with him. that's changed now, and i've already gotten a lot better (still a long way to go though). i've watched videos of isai, ballin, alvin and maltfox (lol). are there any other foxes in particular i should watch? preferably with a different style.
so proud to be on this list

prisonchild

Smash Ace
you gotta JC the shine of course
yeah i do that already, never been able to do anything after it except dash though :/

it's not ASAP, if you press a too early it will not come out due to hitlag. but it's quick after yeah
alright i've only tried like five times in training mode, i guess i'll go back there til i get the timing down

so proud to be on this list
you have a nice fox :)

thanks for the help. if anyone knows any other good foxes to watch then lmk

The Star King

Smash Hero
keep in mind that the timing is different between hitting an opponent and not hitting one (again, due to hitlag), so you might want to avoid practicing "empty" ones. Probably should have mentioned that in the post before sorry

B Link

Smash Lord
superboom, jaimehr, sensei...

Battlecow

Play to Win
He's probably not

honestly I think I got a bit carried away back in the day when I was arguing otherwise, antdgar being a weird person made things seem... off.

they do play HELLA weird though. Lots of jank.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
He's probably not

honestly I think I got a bit carried away back in the day when I was arguing otherwise, antdgar being a weird person made things seem... off.

they do play HELLA weird though. Lots of jank.
They almost never drop combos even when they take them beyond kill percentages, and they always read tech chases. It doesn't look legit to me, but maybe they just have each other so well downloaded that the techs are predictable.

B Link

Smash Lord
It's clearly TAS to me. I used to play around with savestates and frame by frame play -- suffice to say, a lot of the movements and techniques done in those vids mimic how some of my TAS 1v1 experiments looked like. Basically you can tell when someone is just messing and playing around with TAS, trying to do cool stuff.

It sounds like this is merely coming from my intuition but maybe if I feel like it later I can point out specific parts that just clearly show it's TAS.

Battlecow

Play to Win
See I keep swinging back and forth. It's like, all these things make it seem like it's TAS. But who the **** would want to TAS that? But antdgar is weird.

I think it could be explained by them playing to entertain rather than to win? Maybe?

Back in the day I was convinced it wasn't

then I was convinced it was

now I'm leaning towards it not being, just because I don't think anyone wants to spend the time to TAS 40 matches or whatever of weird play.

but the way swebits posted really made me think that it wasn't on the up and up. Discovering yoshi's "Invincibility skill" and doing gimmicks with it... uuuuuh I'M SO TORN

The Star King

Smash Hero
Spending hours TASing to create only decent matches to fool the community at 0 personal profit makes no sense

That to me is a lot stronger then people thinking it looks weird. Human intuition shouldn't be trusted up against logic.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
nah man you're forgetting about how determinism is clearly false and logic can't be trusted

more to the point, people often do very silly, inexplicable things, and you can't apply your own logic to others so readily

prisonchild

Smash Ace
the only thing i found a little odd is how they rarely di out of combos (or even try) but have exceptional ledge di.

although i think it is unlikely that someone created three different playing styles and incorporated human-like mistakes into their TAS project, then submitted it under an alias.

Top Bottom