• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox - Guide and Discussion Thread

Yodan

Smash Rookie
I'm new to the forums but I play fox regularly. I haven't seen anyone else use fox's shine to kill the extra frames while jumping between platforms. I almost always shine the moment I jump to a platform so I can run and attack without waiting for him to fully finish his momentum to the platform. Does anyone else do this? I figured it would be common but apparently not...

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Use of shine cancelling like that seems doesn't seem particularly useful for the amount of practice and timing it might require (don't even talk about input delay), except perhaps to extend an U-Air chain in very specific situations.

Can you list some situations where this might be required/give you optimal follow-up?

Yodan

Smash Rookie
Well, I started using it after dabbling in some casual melee and basically use it while jumping upwards as if it were a wavelanding, but without the slide of course. For the N64 version, since people fall much slower, it speeds up fox a lot. Its great when chasing an opponent who is stunned and you need the quick follow up. I also just use it to run around the stage faster. It can be intimidating seeing a fox move linearly much quicker than normal every once in a while.

example: upsmash on a low/mid % enemy, jump and shine onto platform, upsmash again while theyre falling stunned. It takes a lot of practice but it really is valuable.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
it is true that fox's hops and jumps aren't very well suited to platforms, so i guess it does speed fox up somewhat...i actually see people doing shine-lands all the time between stocks

i think that in that situation, you may as well jump u-air land and go from there since you'll likely get an easier and probably better combo

Yodan

Smash Rookie
It depends on the situation, but to be truthful...I really like the shine noise if I have the chance

ballin4life

Smash Hero
there's been a lot of discussion about shine platform canceling, but it doesn't seem to be widely used. i think tank is starting to do it. i mostly just do it in between stocks for fun.

Yodan

Smash Rookie
It has a really natural rhythm to the buttons once you learn it. Call it what you want, but I personally incorporate it into my style if I see an opening to abuse the frames, similar to how I incorporate abuse into my daily activities like going food shopping, playing with small children, and calligraphy.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
isai definitely did it a lot in game at apex, but he's the only person I've seen do it live or in a vid. I've seen it be useful, so I'd continue doing it if you got the hang of yodan.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
If anything, it'll make your Fox cool and unique, and these days, I feel like I'm more impressed by flash, creativity, and uniqueness than boring, standard (even if it's done well) play.

EDIT: This was in reference to shine-landing.

Sangoku

Smash Master
What's the point of usmash to usmash? I don't think that even comboes and if it does, it's not even good because there's no follow up and it won't kill.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I think yodan was saying it can combo at certain percents if you usmash below a platform, shine cancel to the above platform and usmash again. I can imagine a scenario on hyrule where this leads to a techchase on the middle platform, but yea it seems mostly just for fun.

Yodan

Smash Rookie
The shine cancel to platform is very situational in terms of usefulness for attacking, but movement in general is sped up by a lot I tend to notice. I try to fake out a lot by jumping between platforms and faux dropping by dropping slightly, jump, shine back to platform. It looks like you're about to drop, but suddenly are back on the platform and ready to rumble. I can make a short vid if you guys want to see what I'm talking about.

edit: Heres the video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVfHHXlsEco

TANK64

Smash Lord

ballin4life

Smash Hero
^^uuh yea lol. But I can agree that not nearly enough people use it.
well i primarily remember you talking about it a lot

i've been doing it between stocks for a while just for fun. VERY occasionally i'll try to do it in a match - usually in the form of uair -> shine cancel on platform -> double jump uair when a simple double jump from the ground wouldn't have worked.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Shine landings are useful, they help connecting uairs, usmashes not so much, because you could do something else to cover for that option, but it's helpful for like Utilt -> Uair at high %s.

Also it's helpful to Shine Land -> Grab an opponent that's shielding and keeping his shield up because he's not scared of Fox's Shield pressure through a platform.

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
I have really trouble making jab to dash -> usmash. Especially online. So I wonder isn't it more save to shield dash -> usmash out of shield to prevent a dash attack? You also should have more controll about your dash range. Haven't tried it yet.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
sounds like a good idea tim, worth a shot.

Pulled off my first 3 or 4 shine jabs the other day against dk, hell yea!

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
I gave it a shot and all I have to say is when you're doing wrong you're grabbing instead of making a dash attack. :D

SSBPete

Smash Lord
cool thing i've never seen before happened today:

i was playing rom in fox dittos on dreamland and i dtilted him at a fairly high percentage when he was recovering and he DI'd into the wall. it wasn't ordinary though; he bounced off the incline at the bottom of dreamland and instead of following a vertical arc, he followed a horizontal arc and ko'd at the side of the map

SheerMadness

Smash Master
If DK grabs you, falls off, and throws you against the low part of dreamland that **** will spike you.

It's the way the low part of dreamland is angled.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
It's awesome when you shine someone, and they hit the dreamland stage, and there's absolutely nothing they could do (unless they're pikachu, but it's still pretty hard to get back if you grab the ledge).

SSBPete

Smash Lord
i've obviously seen the reflection angle millions of times before

but i've never seen someone get ko'd on the side of the map from fox's dtilt

TalosSSB

Smash Cadet
It's called keyboard + dumb Di.

IF you are at high enough % for hard knock back, and a Dtilt with fox while all of the other player's knock back will be bounced off of that wall and sent the other way which worked like a spike in this case.

ggs.

Top Bottom