• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Board Stage Discussion [#9 - Brinstar] Discuss now!

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Alright, if nobody has any more thoughts, I'll close this up tomorrow.. Character matchups??

M@v

Subarashii!
I propose PS1. So many of you guys love that stage, yet I hate it because I always get gayed by the ledges, one of those times being when I mm'd rookie at CoT4 -.-

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
one time Ibly got supergayed when he got caught under the ledge and Dtilt spiked by my Zelda XD

don'tcha love wifi?

im fine w/ PS1 being next, why not due them both together since few people like PS2.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
PS1 it is.

OP updated.

PS1 is maybe my favorite stage in brawl, really... soooooo much fun for all my chars.

Yuma

Smash Rookie
i love the stage.... however i seem to get owned by the ledges if i ever CP it... maybe im playing the whole stage wrong though.. cause i dont seem to have an advantage >.>

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
PS1 is a really awesome stage. got a few times where you can even wall shine.

the lip[s on the ledges can be a real pain but oyu can get past this by actually recovering low, (NOT using the firefox) and wall jump off the invisabily wall down there and make hitting the sweet spot zone super easy.

also just spend ome time to practice your firefox aim and its not too bad.

Sukai

Smash Champion
PS1 is okay, but garners mostly personal appeal here. Fox performs well in all phases and camping keeps pressure hot.
Windmill = learn techskill or get *****.
If the stage is morphing and your off stage, don't recover, stall. Foxcopter, shine, Firefox, do what you need to do to stall for as long as possible until it's done.
Fox does really well here but try not to get locked on a wall or tight space.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
one time Ibly got supergayed when he got caught under the ledge and Dtilt spiked by my Zelda XD
GAYNESS EXTRA GAY!
don'tcha love wifi?

im fine w/ PS1 being next, why not due them both together since few people like PS2.
I love this stage only Wifi makes it impossible for me.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Do Not Do Not Do Not Do Not Take G&w To This Stage.

****ing Edges.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I can agree that ledge campers could pose a problem here, sure... Does Fox have nothing that hits below the stage a bit?

Overall, I think Fox has VERY nice tools for every transformation of the stage, which helps him in most cases against opponents... I would say roughly 7/10 for him.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I can agree that ledge campers could pose a problem here, sure... Does Fox have nothing that hits below the stage a bit?
Idk if dtilt/dsmash/Shine does anything but I know if you dair where there hand is while holding the ledge its a VERY WEAK metoer but that could probably put you in an advantage.
Overall, I think Fox has VERY nice tools for every transformation of the stage, which helps him in most cases against opponents... I would say roughly 7/10 for him.
I agree with the numbers 7/10-7.5/10 sounds about right.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Fox has no low riding hitboxes big enough to tag a ledge camper. Just be sure to ban this stage in advance.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm not a fan of this stage in general. I just don't play it much, so I'm not used to it.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Be revived!

Alright...sorry I let this go for so long. I am going to be finishing this discussion up in the next few days, and start on the next stage...

In the meantime, give me some matchups for the stage. : )

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
The edges of Pokemon Stadium 1 still depress me. I remember losing so many tournaments and friendlies because of the illusion right at the stage instead of the egde. Other than that and then windmill preventing camping and up smash killing, Pokemon Stadium is ok I guess =3.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Next stage is going to be Yoshi's Island. You can start discussing. i don't have the time to do a write up for PS1 at the moment, but I probably will later on in the week. I'll update the thread title

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
im not too much of a fan of Yoshis as Fox, but i think i'd give it a 3/5.

the tilting platform doesn't seem to benefit nor hinder anything, run by Bairs are fun. camping is effective here for a while, but since its so small camping doesn't last long.

recovery isn't a problem here at all, just shine stall till the ghost come up or something, if you don't want to zoom back on. the ghost are like godsend to randomly save you from dumb things as well, liek my failed pivot grabs XD

take Zelda here, its one of her worst stages.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
**** this stage. It's so stupid. The slanted edges makes Illusion often miss the ledge and slide up the slant. The tilting platform almost never works in your favor unless you're sharking. SHDLs are nullified to SHLs because of the platform. The slants in the ground can make some moves whiff due to height differences. This stage is dumb. Kill it off during stage striking. 5/10

Zephil

Smash Ace
why people hate this stage? this stage ROCKS!! is the first stage ppl strike me...

Ok why I think is a good stage:
1)good ceiling for fox
2)the white ghost that appears can make your recovery lest risky
3)the platform can be more useful than you think... at least this platform is better for fox than other platform lovers like marth or snake
4)the wierd form of the floor affects some characters in a bad way while I think fox is unaffected by this
5)people hate this level so I always play here just to bother xD

I like it a lot but is my personal point of view... but I will put 4/5 for fox

Curaga

Smash Ace
I really enjoy Yoshi's island as Fox, the uneven floor makes for good laser positioning, and also helps edgeguarding quite a bit. Some things to look out for though.. performing any kind of Dair near the ledge can slip you off the slope and to your death. It might seem obvious to some, but when you're high in percents and really need that Dair>Dsmash combo to win the round.. people can forget.

Other good points though! Teching is soooo easy here! Shuttle-loop stage spike is couter balanced by a quick tap of the shield button as you collide with the wall, works great for pretty much all forms of stage spiking.(IC chain-grab to forward smash off the side of the stage?) Since a lot our gimping is made of shines and not a lot of stage spiking, this is rather good.

Because of the flat surfaces, its also not terrible to recover low, as angling firefox into the stage will help slide you along the wall rather than make you incredible predictable like the edges of FD. Pushing yourself against the wall using firefox will help you dodge random spiking moves.. most notably a Toon Link spike.

Also, the low edges of the stage help characters like Marth recover ONTO the stage, rather than the ledge. So jumping from the ledge into a Dair to punish is a good idea?

Just some random ideas this early morning. Hope I help

M@v

Subarashii!
Only 1 thing for now, the ledges here can burn in hell. Don't be surprised if you illusion for the ledge, and wind up landing on stage, right into a full charge ike fsmash. (Has happened to me before).

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'm really mixed on the stage, really... I mean, some things about it are great, and some are...well... horrible.

Pros of the stage:

Good sized for camping
Platform is harder to fortress under than other stages
Fox's recovery is great for the ghost options
Shy guys are laser bait to refill moves
Terrain gives some characters a hard time and can help lasers
FH Nair onto the platform is darn near unpunishable

Cons of the stage:

Terrain also messes Fox up, particularly SH Fairs...
Edges are somewhat wacky, sometimes
can't shine characters under the stage (shining against the wall isn't nearly as useful)
Feels a bit cramped sometimes, even though it is large...

I mean, I feel like this has to be one of Fox's better neutrals, but at the same time, winning here seems really hard sometimes.

Sukai

Smash Champion
This stage is more character dependant than any other neutral, Fox can either **** here or get *****.

Ledge campers dominate here, crouch campers don't.
The platform is your best friend, it tilts and slides around just right for Fox to mix up his recovery. Regardless of the character, Fox's camping is extremely well here, because of the slopes, it's really hard to get by it forcing every character to approach, even ledge campers can get hit a few times.
Ronnie helps too, as you'd expect. This stage also has a lower than averge ceiling, so it's really good for up smashing, another reason the platform works to your benefit, you can also catch people aiming for the ledge with an up smash, because of the slope.

However despite his crazy advantages, there are a few things Fox should look out for.
Falcos--he's better than you on this stage. Slopes can also give him a few extra down grabs.
Marths--short stages are not for Fox vs Marth, he can easily chain grab you to spike, which is **** near un-survivable on this stage, due to low vetical deathzones.
Olimars--pikmin can do a lot of damage here, despite Fox's camping advantage, plus the platform works against you in this match.

Zephil

Smash Ace
agree with knux but I think that for Falco is harder to cg spike here, we have wall jump and if they grab the edge, a curved firefox would past through them and will always touch ground here... don´t know if you understand this but I still think is better to fight falco here

Sukai

Smash Champion
CG to spike wasn't mentioned with Falco, slopes can make for longer chain grabs was.
CG to spike was mentioned with Marth.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
i hate this stage... it's just the fact i fight like **** on it and you can't FLAMEDASHZORZOMG...

I DIDN'T TYPE IT EPICLY LIKE NORMAL CAUSE THIS POST WAS ORIGINALLY ON MY PSP :embarrass

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
You can do this Flamedash Mini on this stage though which is almost as many except for the fact that you can't 0-death people out of this one.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
I personally believe that Yoshi's Island is the stupidest level for Fox. I keep thinking it's just as neutral as the other neutrals, but the sides and divots in the level just owns me so hard.

Acex27

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but the build of the stage would hurt other characters more than Fox since his recovery is pretty versatile right? Especially with the added support of the ghost. Plus wallshine=win :)

As it was said the lower ceiling is a plus and the platform adds to that but it also hinders your laser game more than help imo. I always seem to be on the wrong side of the slant :/ However standing on the very edge of the stage will help that.

Also the side boundaries are a little closer than the other neutral stages so that is something to watch out for with characters who kill off the sides like Metaknight, Falco to an extent, Wario, Diddy, etc.

RPK

Smash Lord
Even though were on Yoshi's Island right now...I wanna refer back to Halberd...And just say some stuff that MIGHT have been missed. Im too lazy to check =3=

Meta Knight's kill percentage is now lowered by 9% on that stage making him killable at 74% on the bottom platform on both parts of Halberd. In addition, if your Nair is still fresh, or has been used a little bit, you can easily combo him into an upsmash starting anywhere from 64-66% depending on how much you have used your nair. And on the platform, he can die at 66%!!?!? Which means, if your positioned correctly, and you land the nair to upsmash combo, you can easily kill meta knight at 57%. Ridiculously early kills with Fox? Its more likely than you think....

EDIT: Also, on the 2nd part of Halberd, your upsmash can go through the platform and still kill at 66%...Get *****

Jenkins

Smash Lord
talking to malcolmM, and apparently wario does terrible on Yoshi's Island.

remember that

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Why would Yoshi's hurt Wario? odd....

I'm letting this stage go a bit longer than normal for a couple reasons:

1st, I don't have too much time right now, and don't want to let the summaries get behind.

2nd, this is one of the more controversial stages for Fox... I personally don't like it... others don't like it... some really like it, so I'm trying to get it hammered out. Is it good or bad for him?

Personally, I think Fox can do quite well there... and it's just my personal flaws that make me dislike it. I think the platform doesn't really allow fortressing... and it's nice to get free FH nairs onto the platform at any time. The recovery options are also nice, given Fox's shine stall... and the ledge problem can be avoided by better illusion spacing...

The sloping floor throws off some of the SH Fair game for Fox, so that's not a good thing, but that's the only real negative I can pull, here...

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Alright, I have a final this week, so I'm going to stockpile summaries one more time. I'll write up for both PS1 and Yoshi's in the next week or so, but since i think these stages have gotten just about all the attention they're going to get, I'll cap the discussion...

Next (this one should be great) is LYLAT CRUISE!!!!

go go go

Top Bottom