• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Forward teaches Falco

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueWolf25

Smash Journeyman
I can play a decent Falco, and the only person I play smash with regularily plays exclusively as Marth. Could you give me some general anti-Marth tips?

FaceLoran

Smash Champion
I play Marth and I can grab my friend who plays Falco out of his pillar maneuvers. He is usually pretty good at l-cancelling, at least I assume so (it's too fast either way to tell) because I seem to be the only one outta our crew who can shield grab him. A guy who plays Mario gave up on shield grabs a long time ago and now he just tries to roll away or jump outta shield into an aerial. All his grab attempts resulted in getting shined.

Opiate_Crush

Smash Cadet
When I l-cancel I seem to do a roll to the side before I can jump again, I'm probably holding the button too long, eh? Also, I was wondering if you have any combos that work on most mid-weights to add up a little bit of damage that aren't too crazy for people with slower fingers?

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
For the roll problem, just get quicker at the game. It becomes natural after a while, and if you practice a lot, you should be able to L-Cancel every air attack without a thought.

eet

Smash Ace
When playing falco, I ususally use shl to approach my opponenet, then smash, or "pillar" them. Any what other combos, or strategies do you suggest a falco use? (other than shl and pillaring)

Also, what are some good moves/combos I can link with throwing? (like downthrow into dtilt or something)

forward

Smash Champion
Anti-Marth tips: Don't get grabbed, and crouch cancel...... pretty general

Opiate_Crush: Dash attack combos, up tilt combos into forward smash, shine into air attack are easy combos. ps. opiates slow you down

eet: depending on the distance there are different things you can do. f tilt is good as a poke, jab works since it can lead to grabs or air attacks, down tilt -> jab is good, the down tilt stuns them long enough that if you do a jab next they will get hit by it if they try to sheild grab. Shine them if you land on top of them, that's prolly the best since there is so much you can do after a shine.

I suggest you learn how to use falco's arials. All of them are good and if you can use them all falco actually has a really good air game.
Also learn what attacks lead to what, because each move can lead to at least one other move safely/effectively etc

theperson91

Smash Apprentice
I was just wondering what you do for a good approach on an enemy. Like right after the start of a match on FD, i no that u probably shl over to them, then wut do u do? I was thinking probably a shffl'd d air or n air, but what do u normally do?

zachaser

Smash Cadet
Forward: I have questions about a few character matchups.
1: What do you do against peach? Specifically, what combos have been helpful, stage selection, etc.? How do you deal with the chain grab, the insane priority over all of falco's moves, and the fact that you have to deal almost twice as much damage to kill her as she does to you? Just wondering, cause I hate this matchup.
2: Jigglypuff. Yea, no surprise here, wall of pain sucks, and similar to peach, hard to kill until later %'s. Again, what stages are good, combos that have helped you, and how to avoid those up-throw->rest combos/combat wall of pain?

3:How do you play characters that can nullify the lasers? Specifically, doc and mario, since they can just cape your laser. How do you approach, considering they can spam their stuff just as easily?

4: What's the highest you've placed in a major tourney? Just wondering. Thanks,
Chase

theperson91

Smash Apprentice
The part how u said that u have to kill them at twice the damage it would be for them to kill u is partially wrong. That is only if u try to kill them horizontally. Both peach and jiggly can die somewhat easily off the top of the screen. Therefore, if u can get a high percentage (about 120% i think) and then down tilt them. They'll deffinitely die. Just try to get in a down tilt because that is falco's best vertical killer.

Jesi

Smash Ace
heh, vertical kills like that only work on stages w/ low cielings, what about something like dreamland (a common random select stage)? It would take a lot of damage to get a vertical kill on someone (peach) on that stage. Getting close enough to peach w/o being down smashed to death or otherwise poses a problem; where you would spend time racking up damage for a vertical kill, I think it would be far easier to create a point of entry at which falco could use one of his stronger and more effective attacks, such as Fsmash (horizontal kills easier/faster than vertical-this counts a lot when you are playing against a character that is ridiculously hard to kill).

Nice to see you are doing something useful w/ your time and new 'puter, Forward :p I can't wait to get in a good ditto at FC, you can see how much I improved since Moast, heh not a lot, esp in comparisson to you!! :D

And good questions on this board, esp about counter characters like marth/peach/jiggz. Bleh jiggs... Great advice given! Forward's Falco OWNZ!!!!! :D

This is giving the fox/falco boards some new life! :D

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
If you're awesome as Falco and combos in general you can link Neutral Aerials much like Fox can. Falco gets a more difficult, just as deadly ender in Down Aerial.

forward

Smash Champion
zachaser:
1. I pick yoshi's island and fod against peach. you can do shine spike combos off of the platforms to get good damage in. Peach can't chain grab on those stages.
The hardest part of fighting peach is when she floats over your lasers. You have to be careful when she does that because then it limits your approach. DON'T try and attack peach when she is coming down on you from the air, not directly above you, but from in front and above, that is the best chance she has to attack you. when she approaches you like that, reverse shl. You can't take risk's when fighting peach, so just be careful.
2. Laser her wop, and charge in with n airs when there's an opening. If they like to duck and wait on you, don't be afraid to use lasers, cross her up and attack with b airs. Neutral air combos work well and can combo into spikes. Again, smaller stages with platforms work better, you can do shine - spike - u tilt onto platforms. If jiggly is coming from below the stage and is at a fairly high % then ledge gaurd with d tilt, most jiggs I've seen have a hard time sweet spoting the ledge.
3. capes take away your lasers from far away, you should still be able to shoot them from a close/mid distance, because for them to cape when you are that close is pretty risky. If they spam at me, I spam back, laser when they pill/fireball.
4. I got 7th place at Moast3.

:crazy: whew

Dragon7507

Smash Ace
hello forward, yeah, i am one of those people who know how incredible your falco is, in my crew, we use you as one of the top player references. So, i thougth i would ask you some stuff to help me out with learning falco. I ahve the basics, because i was playing fox for a while. But what i would like to know is what are some good combos, approaches, just general strategies to implement when using falco. Also, if you would be able to explain it, what types of mind games do you use with falco? But yeah, I would like to0 get a lot better with falco and make him my main. I am OK with him now, but i definatly have a ton of room for improvement with him. So please, forward or any other good falcos help me out with this one. Thanks
Dragon

forward

Smash Champion
There are too many general strategies with falco to write, so instead I'll just say keep trying new things. Everyone of falco's moves is good and has a purpose, just keep trying new and different things and see what works.
Mind games I like is to put them on the defensive, and predict their response, and counter...... Say for example you get them to block, well there are only so many things they can do from a sheild, so you know for sure what their options are, and knowing is half the battle, the other half is being able to take advantage of what you know.

Glide

Smash Ace
**** forward; I wanna play you some more =/ Gotta get more tutelage from the MASTA! XD

forward

Smash Champion
gah, falco has so many combos to just throw them out, but i'll just say random combos..............
up tilt, up tilt, f smash
up tilt, shuffle u air, full jump back air -> back air while falling
dash attack, dash attack, up tilt, full jump spike
shuffle n air, shuffle f air, f smash
.......... uhm, ya those wont work against all characters, just use ur imagination and if you can figure out who those combos would work on then good job, keep playing falco

xelad1

Smash Ace
Hey everybody I'm ready to teach again!!!
You are amazing. On that note... how the hell do I deal with peach.. that ***** floats over all my lasers dmsmashes me to obscene percentages and floats too far away to combo wtf in hell. I can pull a match out here and there against my friends peach but its always very tense for me and he doesn't even play peach amazingly well... what will I do if I encounter a real peach player!

forward

Smash Champion
You are amazing. On that note... how the hell do I deal with peach.. that ***** floats over all my lasers dmsmashes me to obscene percentages and floats too far away to combo wtf in hell. I can pull a match out here and there against my friends peach but its always very tense for me and he doesn't even play peach amazingly well... what will I do if I encounter a real peach player!
It's ok, first you need to calm down, and accept that you are facing an up hill battle. When you realize this battle is up hill, it will become easier.

Like you said, she floats over your lasers, but to attack you from floating she still must choose the right spot to fall at. She can attack where you are standing, or perhaps past you if she thinks you will run away, or in front if she thinks you will try to go in front of her. Use rshl, dash back standing rshl, wd back, and wave landings to keep your spacing. The best thing you can bait out from her is falling in front of you. If she doesn't, don't get impatient, just keep shooting lasers, and get around her using platforms, up b, or forward b if she gets you to the ledge. Grabbing the ledge is another option, but risky. Shuffle u air underneath her is also an option if she gets to close.

Once she falls in front of you you have to attack with a shuffle n air or d air. You can follow up with a shine, but you'll have a hard time comboing from it after 30% or so.

Good attack optinos are:
D air, D air, D air - Peach's like to CC so this can be pretty funny when pulled off.
D air and land behind, up tilt.
D air land behind, run away laser.
D air, shine, wd away.
D air land behind, f tilt.

When you're comboing try to use as little shines as possible. The best time to use a shine is from the bottom, from there you can get up to a platform and spike. Use up tilt, shuffle up airs, b airs and such to hit her around the stage. Once you are on the offensive try to be sneaky and finish them off with a d tilt.

You're gonna have to laser spam and run away for most of the match, so if your playing a casual match and aren't in the mood for that, you'll probably lose more often so don't sweat it. Also the worst stages you could play on are probably FD, then DL64.

Good luck

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Is there any way to use falco's d air from an edge hog while keeping your invincibility frames from the edge?I hope it's not painfully obvious!I was kinda thinking along the lines of

Ledge hop ,SHFFL'D d air to edge of stage,wavedash to edgehog,repeat.Would this even work?

Foward your the s**t!You and Taj are an amazing team.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
money match me
hey False Falco, I know you have rated my old 2 month ago Falco, but I recommend you not MM Forward, He has the title he has for a reason. You don have to listen. Only trying to save you 25 dollars.

Forward, is ****ing NASTY. I only want to help. I will MM you though, any time if you'd like. I don care what the wager is either so. Any time you want to play, I will be ready for you. Oh **** Forward, thx for the Peach help as well. I am also having the same problem with Peach with my friend Sean F. thx again.

My Falco is new and better thanks to Forward, and believe it or not YOU.

MrPBody

Smash Journeyman
Foward>>>>>Fasle

Foward gets close to beating Ken. Flae is good no doubt, but Foward is too much.

I have trouble killing samus (playing HugS sometimes), I try to jab to a fsmash/nair/bair but since samus are always crouch cancelling its hard to knock a samus out the stage. Any tips to giving damage and knocking out samus, thanx.

If a marth, peach, fox chain grabs all the time, or if shieks tech chases, do you think its perfectly okay to laser spam the F*%# outta each of those character I mention?

In teams, using falco should you be more aggresive or defensive?

Thanx =]

forward

Smash Champion
Is there any way to use falco's d air from an edge hog while keeping your invincibility frames from the edge?I hope it's not painfully obvious!I was kinda thinking along the lines of

Ledge hop ,SHFFL'D d air to edge of stage,wavedash to edgehog,repeat.Would this even work?

Foward your the s**t!You and Taj are an amazing team.
If you ledge hop a d air as soon as you grab the ledge you will keep some invincibility frames. You can actually ledge hop a b air and then grab the ledge again on your way down, I always thought that was cool.

Foward>>>>>Fasle

Foward gets close to beating Ken. Flae is good no doubt, but Foward is too much.

I have trouble killing samus (playing HugS sometimes), I try to jab to a fsmash/nair/bair but since samus are always crouch cancelling its hard to knock a samus out the stage. Any tips to giving damage and knocking out samus, thanx.

If a marth, peach, fox chain grabs all the time, or if shieks tech chases, do you think its perfectly okay to laser spam the F*%# outta each of those character I mention?

In teams, using falco should you be more aggresive or defensive?

Thanx =]
LOL aw man how am I supposed to give tips on beating hugs? The falco slayer? haha ok I'll try my best.

Problem with Samus is her defense while she is on the ground is too strong, CC, Wd from sheild and Up b from sheild, WD > any move is too good. So one of the best times to approach for an attack is when she is in the air. If you can get above her and come down with a spike, or if you can get under her and up tilt, you have some good options to follow up and deal damage.

I find one of the best ways to deal damage to Samus is to D air repeatedly. If they CC at low % just keep doing shuffle d air and jump over her d tilt or d smash. Once her % is up to about 30-40 a d air will pop her up from the ground. I follow this up with another shuffle d air, and tech chase that one. You'd be suprised how much damage you can deal against a Samus by just throwing out a ton of d airs in your combos.

Killing Samus is the waiting game, just try not to get impulsive and do something stupid, patience is key. Most often I try to hit her with b airs while she is returning to the stage. I do a running reverse full jump laser off the edge, and try to position my self just below samus so I can do a jumping b air.

Regarding the chain grabbers, not playing on FD is your best choice. Against a sheik that tech chases just don't tech and go from there. Otherwise you gotta do what you gotta do to win, and if it works do it.

Teams is kinda sporadic, you'll end up doing a lot of things that aren't either offensive or defensive. But I'd say 75% is defense and 25% is offense.

----------------------------
On another subject, somebody gave me negative rep for this thread, LOL!

Harvey Birdman

Smash Apprentice
i was wondering is you had any recovery tips with falco cause i always get edgegaurded pretty badly. i donno just general strategies and such for recovering would be nice (i dont think this is anywhere else in this thread and i looked through all of it). also i know you can shine fox twice in the air then do a down air or back air but does that work on all characters? thanx for any help

forward

Smash Champion
i was wondering is you had any recovery tips with falco cause i always get edgegaurded pretty badly. i donno just general strategies and such for recovering would be nice (i dont think this is anywhere else in this thread and i looked through all of it). also i know you can shine fox twice in the air then do a down air or back air but does that work on all characters? thanx for any help
That combo for Fox will also work on Falco and Falcon, and it will probably work on middle weight characters at low %.

The most important thing in recovering is that you know how to sweet spot, with both the up b and the f b. If you aren't sweet spotting then every attempt you make to recover will get beat. Secondly you have to react to the situation at hand, if you get thrown off at low % and are still close to the ledge jump back on to the stage with an attack like f air, n air, or possibly d air. If you are getting hit on your attempts to recover it means you are being predictable. Trying using the u and f b and different heights and distances, and combine the mix up with your second jump to find ways to recover.

Good luck.

saberhof

Smash Master
**** dude u must be seriously bored...

i dont know any problems i have with falco(yet..O_0), oh yeah ShL i have trouble shorthopping and i ussually just jump very high and get Uaird alot with him...i bet this concerns Practice, Practice, Practice?...

Ima get my Digital Camera and save some vids, only my **** digital camera only takes 3 mins...could that be enough?..

forward

Smash Champion
I took took you out in pools :)
I woulda had you with roy if we didn't get yoshi story >=( stupid falco stage

Viperboy: You have to hit L just before you land. You have to adjust the timing depending of if you hit them, miss them, or if they block, when you do the move (like higher or lower to the ground), and if you fast fall or not. And any combination of those.

saberhof: You should read my "how do you short hop laser?" thread "http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=64440

xelad1

Smash Ace
lol...

forward -

how do you l-cancel? i can't seem to get it down :<
lol

I woulda had you with roy if we didn't get yoshi story >=( stupid falco stage

Viperboy: You have to hit L just before you land. You have to adjust the timing depending of if you hit them, miss them, or if they block, when you do the move (like higher or lower to the ground), and if you fast fall or not. And any combination of those.
LOL

I can't believe you two, hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom