• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For smash 4 to succeed, we need to change

El Duderino

Smash Ace
We're all here because we're enthused for smash 4. If you aren't enthused and aren't anticipating your future involvement with the smash 4 scene, it makes no sense for you to come on here.
I'll pick up Smash 4 and, depending on the final game, might even play it competitively, but I don't consider my current level of excitement enthusiastic. What they've shown has left me skeptical, but I'm still interested in following and talking about it from a competitive standpoint.

Given I don't meet your criteria, it certainly sounds like you want to push me out prematurely. Do you care to get along with players feeling uncertain about Smash 4 after E3? Please clarify.

TreK

Is "that guy"
^You can dislike Smash 4 as much as you want when it comes out, or be skeptical about it as much as you want while it's still in the making.
Just don't pull off a Brawl and make the Smash community look like a bunch of kids with bad tastes and attitudes. Because that's pretty much what happened last time around. I don't care about the drama, just don't let it build into a fashion if you are given the opportunity.

Cassio

Smash Master
I'll pick up Smash 4 and, depending on the final game, might even play it competitively, but I don't consider my current level of excitement enthusiastic. What they've shown has left me skeptical, but I'm still interested in following and talking about it from a competitive standpoint.

Given I don't meet your criteria, it certainly sounds like you want to push me out prematurely. Do you care to get along with players feeling uncertain about Smash 4 after E3? Please clarify.
SMH at this thread. Especially at OP. The argument was started over the gameplay, it wasn't a small but vocal minority. It was the melee community and they ended making RoM so they could enjoy they're game instead of picking up one they dind't like. Plain and simple.

Just play whichever game you enjoy, if there's a game that can sway more of the melee community then it will be because it earned it...not because it's got a 2014 date on it.
The issue is it wasnt that simple. Theres a disconnect here between what the OP is asking and what you thinks being requested. If what youve said really occured when melee players found they didnt like brawl and simply continued to play melee things wouldve been fine.

Instead many players immaturely and ignorantly kicked and screamed at brawls gameplay, and made active efforts to sabotage and troll brawl and its community. Not aimed at anyone in particular, all thats being requested is if you do not enjoy the game, to have some class and move on to other games without tearing the house down as you leave.
Oh man, I was one of the last people to give up on Brawl. (Well, I guess that is beside the people still playing it today.) For years, I said, "We cannot compare a game of one year to a game of seven years. The game will evolve, and exciting things will happen." Well, here we are. Brawl is almost as old as Melee was when Brawl came out. I know we're not quite there yet, but it's not looking good. By this point, Melee was taking off, and we were beginning to see just how deep it was. Brawl? I dunno. What's the newest thing we know what has really changed competitive play? What techniques are we fighting to conquer that may yet change competitive play?
Its actually looking quite good. Glad you stuck with things for awhile, but you mightve left at the wrong time. Id say around the time of Apex 2012 is when Brawl in the US started its genesis and only now is its depth and potential being tapped into.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Just going to go ahead and say that while some Smash debates are interesting and necessary, most of them are a waste of effort and end up appearing as a "my side is right everyone else is wrong" moaning fest.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
^You can dislike Smash 4 as much as you want when it comes out, or be skeptical about it as much as you want while it's still in the making.
Just don't pull off a Brawl and make the Smash community look like a bunch of kids with bad tastes and attitudes. Because that's pretty much what happened last time around. I don't care about the drama, just don't let it build into a fashion if you are given the opportunity.
I can agree with this. Attitudes though depend largely on how the Smash 4 scene comes to terms with its growing pains.

Instead many players immaturely and ignorantly kicked and screamed at brawls gameplay, and made active efforts to sabotage and troll brawl and its community.
What toasterbrain's just said. I'm not going down that path on this subject.

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
Just going to go ahead and say that while some Smash debates are interesting and necessary, most of them are a waste of effort and end up appearing as a "my side is right everyone else is wrong" moaning fest.
This.

I was a part of the smash community (This is my new account) but left because of the constant bickering over Metaknight, Melee, and god knows what else. I'm up for discussion about certain topics as long as people stop moaning and we actually decide on something; and most importantly stick with it. It seemed to me that there was too much "I'm right you're wrong" as opposed too "Let's talk about this, decide on something, and move on."

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This.

I was a part of the smash community (This is my new account) but left because of the constant bickering over Metaknight, Melee, and god knows what else. I'm up for discussion about certain topics as long as people stop moaning and we actually decide on something; and most importantly stick with it. It seemed to me that there was too much "I'm right you're wrong" as opposed too "Let's talk about this, decide on something, and move on."
Yeah. For this reason, I may or may not stop being active on this part of the Smash4 forums.
Just backed out of a stupid argument about the current rumor if you can still call it that.

Sigh.
Hell, if people could argue without shoving their view points down people's throats and washing it down with insults maybe the Brawl/Melee debate wouldn't be as obnoxious as it is. Most anything that anybody can say on the subject is subjective anyway.

Revven

FrankerZ
People get overly defensive over the game they prefer. If you know your game is awesome, you don't need to defend it. You won't convince anyone it's good if they have the preconceived notion it's not.

On that note, it's silly to expect everyone to play the new game. All Smash games should be played, guess why? Because we only get one per generation. Sticking to one game limits our community's growth and size. There's still Smash 64 tournaments, there's still Melee tournaments, there's still Brawl tournaments, and there's still Project M tournaments. And all four of those games converge at majors, either mixed around (one swapped for the other) or all four are there. And to my knowledge, those events run perfectly fine and well. Just look at Apex 2013 if you haven't already.

The potential of running multiple games is what we should be striving for. Not "adapting and dropping the last game". I like to think the community as a whole has gotten better over the years with having everyone's game at events. As long as those are perfectly fine, I don't think what's said on here matters much. You're always going to have your stream monsters, trolls, randoms, etc. whatever you want to call them. You just have to learn to ignore those people and understand that they have their personal tastes and you have yours. If you think your game is awesome, there's no need to defend it... the game doesn't have feelings; it has no emotions. Brawl doesn't get upset when someone calls it slow. Melee doesn't get upset when someone calls it too hard (or whatever would be a better "insult").

The notion people should "adapt" should be long gone. It's a long foregone conclusion that people will play the games they like and will stick to them if the new one isn't something they like.

I'm quite sure the people who actually participate in Melee tournaments accept Brawl as a game that's played at tournaments. The reverse is true for Brawl tournament players and accepting Melee as a game that's played. You (not anyone in particular) need to learn to separate someone like Scar from some random on the forums. It's the same thing with the larger fighting game community and SRK: people mix up the trolls with players like Alex Valle and Justin Wong. Those two players I just named? They recognize Smash as a legitimate competitive fighting game and are excited it's at EVO this year; just like many other top fighting game players or tournament organizers.

So like I said... if you think your game is awesome, instead of wasting time defending it, just go play it and show people it's awesome. Continue hosting tournaments and continue making video content/streaming. That's how you grow a scene, not by telling people what to do or what game to play, or what game to accept, or what game to drop competitively "just because the new one's out".

That's what needs to change. This attitude about "adapting" and "dropping the old game for the new" that has permeated our community and even gone outside of it (many, MANY casual players throw this out there as an argument to this day).

That is all.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Among the worst of them are the people who say Brawl is a terrible game because it doesn't meet their competitive expectations.

People get overly defensive over the game they prefer. If you know your game is awesome, you don't need to defend it. You won't convince anyone it's good if they have the preconceived notion it's not.

On that note, it's silly to expect everyone to play the new game. All Smash games should be played, guess why? Because we only get one per generation. Sticking to one game limits our community's growth and size. There's still Smash 64 tournaments, there's still Melee tournaments, there's still Brawl tournaments, and there's still Project M tournaments. And all four of those games converge at majors, either mixed around (one swapped for the other) or all four are there. And to my knowledge, those events run perfectly fine and well. Just look at Apex 2013 if you haven't already.

The potential of running multiple games is what we should be striving for. Not "adapting and dropping the last game". I like to think the community as a whole has gotten better over the years with having everyone's game at events. As long as those are perfectly fine, I don't think what's said on here matters much. You're always going to have your stream monsters, trolls, randoms, etc. whatever you want to call them. You just have to learn to ignore those people and understand that they have their personal tastes and you have yours. If you think your game is awesome, there's no need to defend it... the game doesn't have feelings; it has no emotions. Brawl doesn't get upset when someone calls it slow. Melee doesn't get upset when someone calls it too hard (or whatever would be a better "insult").

The notion people should "adapt" should be long gone. It's a long foregone conclusion that people will play the games they like and will stick to them if the new one isn't something they like.

I'm quite sure the people who actually participate in Melee tournaments accept Brawl as a game that's played at tournaments. The reverse is true for Brawl tournament players and accepting Melee as a game that's played. You (not anyone in particular) need to learn to separate someone like Scar from some random on the forums. It's the same thing with the larger fighting game community and SRK: people mix up the trolls with players like Alex Valle and Justin Wong. Those two players I just named? They recognize Smash as a legitimate competitive fighting game and are excited it's at EVO this year; just like many other top fighting game players or tournament organizers.

So like I said... if you think your game is awesome, instead of wasting time defending it, just go play it and show people it's awesome. Continue hosting tournaments and continue making video content/streaming. That's how you grow a scene, not by telling people what to do or what game to play, or what game to accept, or what game to drop competitively "just because the new one's out".

That's what needs to change. This attitude about "adapting" and "dropping the old game for the new" that has permeated our community and even gone outside of it (many, MANY casual players throw this out there as an argument to this day).

That is all.
:love:

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
You're like the Martin Luther King of the Smash Boards, man. Supportin' peace between two sides that are normally at each others throats.

I can dig it. Totally resonating with your threa~ good GOD, I just realized how much like a hippie I sounded like!XD
Moving on~~

I can agree with most everything you set into your post[and shame on anyone who took the post as an effort to place blame on any one side. SHAME.], and since you've mentioned the two sides, I'd like to put my input into which game I felt was better and why:
I felt Brawl was more my pace.
Yes, tripping was lame. Yes, the floatiness was off-putting and hard to get used to.
But Brawl represented an opportunity for people that normally didn't have the skill or learning capacity[small though the latter demographic may be] to learn the higher-tier abilities and strategies, to the point of being able to perform them second-nature, to compete with people who were more than capable of doing those sorts of things back in Melee.
Outside of the ease of play that Meta presented, Brawl was a representative of bringing the two factions of super-technical players and less-able players closer to a middle zone, where both sides still had to use their brains, their tactics and forethought, as well as developing a good predictive capability for their opponent's playstyles, in order to win, but without a high bar that the less able players were unable to surmount in the technical moves category.

It led to closer matches where even pros still stood a chance of losing even without items, when facing someone that hadn't been playing as long but had some decent skill at predicting opponent's movements and attack routines.

For me, personally, this lighter, more "casual" style of fighting, resulted in me finding far, FAR more rivals to fight against than usual. People who, despite being better than me, were still within my reach and who I could still occasionally win against.
It was a pretty nice feeling to know that going into a match against a Fox player as Link no longer meant I had about a 50% chance of being wave-shined off the edge to a quick death at some point in a match.
It also made losses much easier to bear without a grudge forming, because I really felt like I had fought well even if I lost, instead of feeling like I was 100% overwhelmed by someone with higher technical skills.

That's just my side of the story, though, so if anyone took offense to how I see things then you have my early apologies.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
As a person who has played all of the current Smash games since the beginning of their respective releases, I can say that each game deserves to be played as-in. That is...without comparing it to previous Smash games despite there clearly being things you missed about the previous game.

I remember when I first picked up Melee after many nears of N64 Smash. To be honest, I was disappointed. The changes were too great. But after a few months of Melee, I began to appreciate it as a game of its own. I've found that I needed to do that with each of the Smash games to accept it. Same with Brawl. I picked it up and wanted some Melee stuff in it, but Brawl is Brawl. Each of these games has its own set of (perceived) flaws. Each incarnation of Smash forces even the veterans to pick up from nothing, and I understand how this can be bothersome for some people who don't want to lose their progress.

Brawl, however, was the only game that allowed modders to make deep changes in gameplay mechanics and balance and such. This is what makes modded Brawl (particularly Brawl+) the current Smash game I enjoy most. I'm not out to play a Melee 2.0, just to play a streamlined version of Brawl that brings out the flavors of the game. And, yes, I do take Smash seriously. I've poured thousands of hours into all these games and I still play them (even the N64 version) even after all these years. I do not understand the apparent stance that people take against people who don't agree that Melee is the ultimate game (ie. Oh, you're not serious unless you prefer Melee). If I'm able to move on, you can, too.

When Smash 4 comes out, I have no doubt I will miss aspects from all the previous games. But I know I will eventually pick it up and be able to appreciate its characteristics. However, with the advanced technology these days, I truly hope Nintendo has a patch system in place to balance the game after its release and players find glitches and exploits and other unfair things.

El Duderino

Smash Ace

That is all.

Cassio

Smash Master
Im not sure why paragraphs are being written as if anyone's suggested people quit melee/brawl to play smash 4. No one is forcing anyone to play smash4. Nor is anyone suggesting what should or should not happen with old games, the practical reality is the new game becomes the mainstay of the series. Its not a suggestion its just a fact of gaming. And now whats being asked is that people be respectful of the new game whether they jump into it or not, and to avoid the useless destruction that occurred last time limiting its growth. Constructive criticism is one thing, but thats not what happened.

Regardless, the past is over with so now so long as people can be respectful and voice their opinions and criticisms without harming smash 4's scene and smash overall everything should be good.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Instead many players immaturely and ignorantly kicked and screamed at brawls gameplay, and made active efforts to sabotage and troll brawl and its community.
I got tired of things like what is quoted above and everyone not knowing their history as to why there is brawl and melee hate so I made this thread. I didn't want to clutter this thread with debate on my one post, so I made it it's on thread. In any case, here is my brief overview of all the events that led to the big fallout between melee players and brawl players.

http://smashboards.com/threads/events-surrounding-the-melee-vs-brawl-hate.337471/

TL:DR
Brawlers and casual players are equally at fault for the previous split in the community over brawl. Lets not pretend that one side of the fence is squeaky clean and the other side is immature.

Also Revven won the thread.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I got tired of things like what is quoted above and everyone not knowing their history as to why there is brawl and melee hate so I made this thread. I didn't want to clutter this thread with debate on my one post, so I made it it's on thread. In any case, here is my brief overview of all the events that led to the big fallout between melee players and brawl players.

http://smashboards.com/threads/events-surrounding-the-melee-vs-brawl-hate.337471/

TL:DR
Brawlers and casual players are equally at fault for the previous split in the community over brawl. Lets not pretend that one side of the fence is squeaky clean and the other side is immature.

Also Revven won the thread.
Believe me, I agree that both sides are equally at fault here; It just so happens one side is more vocally albeit through text rude about their opinion than the other at least from what I have seen. And it's probably not hard to guess which side.

If we're going to have a stupid argument, it should be about manners. Jeez.

I think my only input to the Brawl-like mechanics v. Melee-like mechanics deal was "Brawl's a good game."

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
You know what would rock? If Smash 4 was the competitive game we were looking for and everyone just forgets Melee and Brawl even exist.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
You know what would rock? If Smash 4 was the competitive game we were looking for and everyone just forgets Melee and Brawl even exist.
I can't argue against that, my friend!

Well, besides the fact I love every smash game and will always remember all of them.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I can't argue against that, my friend!

Well, besides the fact I love every smash game and will always remember all of them.
Well of course, but secretly, that is what we are all hoping for. Of course I will have good memories unique to all three games, but the only reason we have all these discussions is that burning desire to have the perfect smash.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Well of course, but secretly, that is what we are all hoping for. Of course I will have good memories unique to all three games, but the only reason we have all these discussions is that burning desire to have the perfect smash.
The sad truth is that even when a perfect Smash comes out there's going to be a group of people that will criticize something in it that isn't to their standards.

But I believe that when the Perfect Smash comes out, and I believe it eventually will, they will be a strong minority.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
The sad truth is that even when a perfect Smash comes out there's going to be a group of people that will criticize something in it that isn't to their standards.

But I believe that when the Perfect Smash comes out, and I believe it eventually will, they will be a strong minority.
Well of course. There are people everywhere who oppose competitive play in any form. As I've mentioned in previous posts, lots of people simply do not cope well with others who take games seriously. When I play Settlers of Cataan, I play to win. When I play Hearts, I play to win. When I play Scrabble, I play to win. When I play any game ever, I play to win. I don't play "to have a good time"; that comes naturally as a side effect of winning (or at least enduring a hard fight to come close to winning). Some people get that, but others think you have a mental disorder for wanting to win so badly. Well goodness, why play the game at all if winning is not your goal???

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Well of course. There are people everywhere who oppose competitive play in any form. As I've mentioned in previous posts, lots of people simply do not cope well with others who take games seriously. When I play Settlers of Cataan, I play to win. When I play Hearts, I play to win. When I play Scrabble, I play to win. When I play any game ever, I play to win. I don't play "to have a good time"; that comes naturally as a side effect of winning (or at least enduring a hard fight to come close to winning). Some people get that, but others think you have a mental disorder for wanting to win so badly. Well goodness, why play the game at all if winning is not your goal???
Even if the game was aimed towards competitiveness there's no reason casual players can't enjoy it. They'll just play it casually. So yeah I agree with you.
When thinking about the new game though, I'd much prefer to not take any previous games in the series into account.

You can be competitive with any set of mechanics though, not just quick advanced tech-y games, any mechanics.
Some people are just anal about their own wants.

But I'll go on record saying that it's probably better to develop the game towards more competitive players because it really shouldn't matter to casual players either way, they'll play the game to play the game.

Hey look guys, I just supported competitive mechanics without being a complete douchenozzle NOR comparing the last two games in the series! Blasphemy, I know.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Yeah, comparing smash games is a different beast.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well said OP. I think you are on the right track. While those are very much issues, I think there are some sistemic issues that have to be solved less the community repeats the same mistakes (WARNING: some people wont like this)

1)Conservatism - The community may be too conservative for it's own good. The old "No items, Fox only, Final Destination" may have some truth to it as some players only want to play that way. So any attempt to move forward and expand the content that is played in tournaments is squashed by some players, likely because it doesn't give them an advantage. Let's talk about items real quick. One of the disagreements between the community and EVO was items. The logic EVO used as do other games is that you have to give something a fair shot before you say to ban it. This is why they tried doing items and final smashes. But the community wouldn't have it or even give it a shot. They wanted them all gone indefinably. Beside items, players want the stage pool to be vanilla as hell. Hazards are another big issue. While some stages will never be played for whatever reason, any stage with any kind of hazard is avoided like the plague. Even though players can avoid the hazard and even use it to their advantage, it is seen as "unclean" or something and removed. This keeps going and going until only a handful of stages are left. This is a big reason that the fighting game community and the Smash Brothers fan base as a whole is uninterested in competitive Smash. Some people even despise it. More players may find it more interesting to watch Smash Brothers matches with items and more stages and it will lead to more interesting results. A big thing that is holding Smash back is trying to be so separate from the fanbase as a whole. Competitive Smash is not remotely like how most people play the game. So they won't be interested. I'm not saying have everything on. But the game needs to move away from No items, Fox only, Final Destination. This is a result of the current community being unwilling to try anything else. Not even because it causes problems, but because it could cause problems.

2)Melee worship - For some reason, competitive players worship Melee. Competitive Smash fans went gaga over Project M, a community project that tried to turn Brawl into Melee (even down to specific attacks being in Melee). Competitive players have put the game on a pedestal which is going to cause issues inside and outside the community. See, you don't see Street Fighter fans try to mod SF4 to be more like 3rd Strike. You don't see people trying to make MvC3 like 2. They tend to move on. Pro Starcraft players are now moving to 2 as well. The Smash community never wants to move and instead wants to talk about why Melee is so great. You know what will happen with SSB4? Sakurai will try to make a balance. It will come out. But competitive players will complain that it doesn't have wavedashing, it's still too floaty, and you can still air dodge multiple times. Unless the game is a carbon copy of Melee, it isn't good. This divide creates a divided player base. To everyone else, the competitive community looks like immature children. The community needs to be willing to take the new game and play it for what it is. I have yet to see how complaining about Brawl not being Melee has helped at all.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
As long as people claim their tastes as superior and shove them into the other's throats, there won't be end to these senseless debates.

You can't argue about your tastes. You simply can't, because you either like the game or you don't like it.

I can say that neither side of these arguments has been correct in the first place, because there's no right or wrong over which game (Melee or Brawl) is better.

If this community a shred of intelligence and tolerance, people wouldn't bash others over something so trivial as liking one game over another.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I have never met someone who honestly preferred Fox only on Final Destination. Heck, in any given tournament, I strike Final Destination the first chance I get.

CEOJebailey

The People's Organizer
CEO Jebailey here, If the Smash Community would like any guidance or help in decides rules, support etc, Please don't hesitate to find me and ask. I'd like to support Smash on WiiU from Day one and help your scene out the best I can.

Power-Stunna

Smash Rookie
I'll play any smash competitively. N64, Melee, Brawl, Project M, Smash Flash. I'm tired of the debates. People made their voice heard and took action, which is why Melee will be at EVO. Make it count or it's back to the SC/FGC separation again. For crying out loud, enough with Battlefield and FD. Grow some balls and play on stages with hazards. USE THE ENVIRONMENT to your advantage. no items or items. I don't care, I'll play regardless. Cut the fanboy bull and stick to what you like, you don't like Brawl, fine! Stick to Melee or Project M. Don't ruin the community with your hate for one game in the series. As far as Smash U goes, I look forward to competiting and contributing to the growth of the Smash Community it deserves. It's do or die at EVO. Make it count! Co-exist with the FGC, at the end of the day, it's all about the SMASH, the competition, the hype, the moments, and the opportunities!

Renji64

Smash Lord
I do love all smash games expect brawl but i still can respect people enjoy it i'm glad smash 4 is gonna be a middleground between melee and brawl. Better than nothing i guess.

People should stop bashing games they don't like or play because it makes them look pathetic.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I felt Brawl was more my pace.
You are very brave. I preferred Melee's physics just because I liked the faster pace. I was never a competitive player so there is nothing more too it then that. I just like it. Yay for expressing opinons without being at each others throats.

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
Amazing Ampharos: Could you all maybe not act like a bunch of ***** this time?
>A bunch of people act like *****

gg all

So like I said... if you think your game is awesome, instead of wasting time defending it, just go play it and showpeople it's awesome. Continue hosting tournaments and continue making video content/streaming. That's how you grow a scene, not by telling people what to do or what game to play, or what game to accept, or what game to drop competitively "just because the new one's out".

And by that same token if you think a game is bad, instead of wasting time attacking it, just go play your game and show people it's better.

I don't believe anyone here has said anyone should drop anything. It does not seem to me like anyone is trying to take your game away from you. I feel like a lot of people will be talking all about Smash 4 and a decent amount of new people will show up due to their interest in Smash 4 because, yes, it is the shiny new thing and people like shiny new things. I guess I can understand why Melee fans might feel like that puts the older game that they enjoy and feel is better under attack, but it's really not. No one is stopping anyone from playing it or even promoting it, but it can be promoted without attacking people for enjoying a different game. That sounds like what the OP is concerned about.

Top Bottom