• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FOOLS!! R.O.B. Community Combo Video: Obtained footage, selecting music.

8Bitman

Smash Master
That sounds...... EPIC. O-o

Do it. I am still listening to the song, I likey. I feel the song starts at 0:44. Just because of the long intro and then that Farting part. Lol

luckylime

Smash Apprentice
Anthon that clip is amazing O_O Is that you? I'd love to include it. What tag should I use to credit?

Bees I'm listening to this now and it's awesome for a rough concept. The build-up from 0:47 - 1:05 sounds like professional work, it's interesting, it sounds great and it changes. Now I don't know all of the music-related terminology but I'll try giving some suggestions on what can be improved upon (and I hope you love getting suggestions xD)

First, If you intend on creating music a lot in the future, I suggest you watch this AMAZINGLY insightful video:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2019-Videogame-Music

They bring up a good point when they say the melody is the most important part of the song, and it's the most difficult part of song-creation imo, but you nailed it a few times in your sample. The rest of my advice will be mostly about the technical aspects and whatnot.

You can use loops but just make sure the part that you loop is interesting so it doesn't get old. Also do more of what you did at 1:25, you looped the jingle twice, then a short build-up followed with the same jingle plus the drums and bass. Basically try and build upon the melodies you come up with, like "you thought it was good now, wait till you hear it with a sick beat."

The tune at 0:00 sounds really good but then it goes into that generic "DOO DOO, doo doo, DOO DOO, doo doo." and it flows really well on the first segment... but then it keeps going. To keep it interesting, I see you added a hum after it looped four times, which is the idea. But it needs a tad more than that. Maybe you were already planning to improve it in the final version so I don't have to tell you. :p

Back to the tune that started at 1:25, I noticed you brought it back at 2:35. For a combo video, it might be better if you keep changing the melody and not reuse ones from earlier in the song. You may have seen this CV before but they made their own music for the video as well and it kept evolving throughout, so it never got stale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx2rwsRCjQc

If you can, try to add lots of drops throughout the song, this is something they did in the video I linked above. All the parts where there is heavy editing (shaking camera, glowing, etc) are drops. These parts of the song would allow me as an editor to emphasize the really good combos and make the viewer say "WOW!"

Speaking of drops, I REALLY like the formula for starting a song which is: intro -> build-up -> drop. The intro would consist of a repetitive, but good tune. The build-up is when the song starts building intensity very gradually, and the drop is the climax when the song enters full swing.

Some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfFnU0FUGno
intro at 0:00, build-up at 0:56, and drop at 1:07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6K8-MYq4Z0
intro at 0:00, build-up at 0:29, "drop" at 0:45

As you can see both of these songs are very fast-paced, which makes for great CV music.
(hold your color has been used more times than I can count ._.) Personally, I'm using the second one for my next cv so I'd appreciate if everyone leaves it alone. >,>

Ok I can't think of anything else. Just remember this is all my opinion and I could be completely wrong about everything. The best thing you can do is just experiment and see what sounds good and what doesn't. I'm sure when you fully flesh it out, it'll sound 10x better.

Also, +1 for the idea of having the song transition into different genres. :)

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I remember seeing the Dekar vs JT clip a bit back
yeah, I'm a robot hipster.

Bees!

Smash Ace
[COLLAPSE="hide"]Anthon that clip is amazing O_O Is that you? I'd love to include it. What tag should I use to credit?

Bees I'm listening to this now and it's awesome for a rough concept. The build-up from 0:47 - 1:05 sounds like professional work, it's interesting, it sounds great and it changes. Now I don't know all of the music-related terminology but I'll try giving some suggestions on what can be improved upon (and I hope you love getting suggestions xD)

First, If you intend on creating music a lot in the future, I suggest you watch this AMAZINGLY insightful video:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2019-Videogame-Music

They bring up a good point when they say the melody is the most important part of the song, and it's the most difficult part of song-creation imo, but you nailed it a few times in your sample. The rest of my advice will be mostly about the technical aspects and whatnot.

You can use loops but just make sure the part that you loop is interesting so it doesn't get old. Also do more of what you did at 1:25, you looped the jingle twice, then a short build-up followed with the same jingle plus the drums and bass. Basically try and build upon the melodies you come up with, like "you thought it was good now, wait till you hear it with a sick beat."

The tune at 0:00 sounds really good but then it goes into that generic "DOO DOO, doo doo, DOO DOO, doo doo." and it flows really well on the first segment... but then it keeps going. To keep it interesting, I see you added a hum after it looped four times, which is the idea. But it needs a tad more than that. Maybe you were already planning to improve it in the final version so I don't have to tell you. :p

Back to the tune that started at 1:25, I noticed you brought it back at 2:35. For a combo video, it might be better if you keep changing the melody and not reuse ones from earlier in the song. You may have seen this CV before but they made their own music for the video as well and it kept evolving throughout, so it never got stale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx2rwsRCjQc

If you can, try to add lots of drops throughout the song, this is something they did in the video I linked above. All the parts where there is heavy editing (shaking camera, glowing, etc) are drops. These parts of the song would allow me as an editor to emphasize the really good combos and make the viewer say "WOW!"

Speaking of drops, I REALLY like the formula for starting a song which is: intro -> build-up -> drop. The intro would consist of a repetitive, but good tune. The build-up is when the song starts building intensity very gradually, and the drop is the climax when the song enters full swing.

Some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfFnU0FUGno
intro at 0:00, build-up at 0:56, and drop at 1:07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6K8-MYq4Z0
intro at 0:00, build-up at 0:29, "drop" at 0:45

As you can see both of these songs are very fast-paced, which makes for great CV music.
(hold your color has been used more times than I can count ._.) Personally, I'm using the second one for my next cv so I'd appreciate if everyone leaves it alone. >,>

Ok I can't think of anything else. Just remember this is all my opinion and I could be completely wrong about everything. The best thing you can do is just experiment and see what sounds good and what doesn't. I'm sure when you fully flesh it out, it'll sound 10x better.

Also, +1 for the idea of having the song transition into different genres. :)[/COLLAPSE]
Ya I tried to throw a little dubstep in there too because dubstep seems very ROB like to me. But ya this is very specific as the part I need some parts for drops for hit points and what not these examples will help. I will try to get an actual song to you guys with drops and everything using the advice I have been given. If you guys like it then maybe we can go from there.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Yeah I agree with Lucky on that. I bet it will sound better when you touch it up a bit.

I loved that Video Game Music video. =3

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I can't seem to get into contact with Lucky. Well, actually, he hasn't answered my PM yet, so until he does, I'll be unable to resend my replays... unless you're willing to receive them, 8bit. Where could Lucky be? School? Sleeping? Playing GBA games while skydiving? Who knows? O:

:phone:

8Bitman

Smash Master
I think he said he was going to Mars for the weekend, IDK.

I will get all of my Wii Info later, from then and now, we have a new Wii.

Sowwy. So I am going to need all of your info as well.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I think he said he was going to Mars for the weekend, IDK.

I will get all of my Wii Info later, from then and now, we have a new Wii.

Sowwy. So I am going to need all of your info as well.
Oh, very well. My Friend Code and Wii Number is in my profile, so that won't be a problem. You can PM me your FC/Wii#. :3

:phone:

luckylime

Smash Apprentice
Sorry everyone, I'm kinda just waiting for everyone to be finished doing what they need to do before I start doing my part, lol. I'm going to Texas for a week or so, so I won't be able to do anything for you until I get back! In the meantime everyone figure out which replays you'd like to use and maybe send it to 8Bit... I guess? (what would you do with the footage anyway? o,0) Or just wait until I get back and send it to me so I can record your beautiful gameplay in ultra-mega HD. I'd also like to wait on Bees so I can use the music he comes up with! ^_^ Now I'll be off to the airport in a couple hours, better start packing. :p

8Bitman

Smash Master
and maybe send it to 8Bit... I guess? (what would you do with the footage anyway? o,0)
The world may never know. lol

Yeah I really don't have any point in having the replays since I can't do anything with them, except maybe critique them. =P

But everyone make sure you all have your footage ready to be sent to Lucky when he comes back.

Make sure you have the times down and all of the info he needs ready to go. =3

*Nags

Bees!

Smash Ace
Good News Everyone!
I just have to lay the percussion tracks for the finished version of Like A Machine and do some final tweaks and it should be good to go. Will put out another mp3 link.

Edit: That took a long time! The song is recording now. Its about 6 mins 53 seconds. Hope its long enough. Also tried incorporating some suggestions people mentioned and built upon what I already had.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Like A Machine

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EXDG5HG8
Here you guys go with the completed song.

Let me know if you think it is worthy of the combo video.

Also some more footage from me. Will get more for you guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7asdfJngu0#t=3m22s until 3:55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN2n3H6rFb83#t=1m06s to 1:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XmJXdkJyfg 3:08-3:16, 3:25-3:31, 4:19-4:35.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcr2Ie0JgFg 1:52-2:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NSVa2yz9Vw#t=2m10s 2:10-2:23<- I really like that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koHMyXlkBHc 1:57-2:05, 2:59-3:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xRNi1DWa8s#t=3m58s to 4:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf9n4felmLE#t=4m36s this one is kinda lol

8Bitman

Smash Master
As soon as I heard the beginning of 3:00 I skeeted pure epicness. I love it. You are a GOD Bees! =3

Also does your name have any relation the the website BeeMP3.com ???

Bees!

Smash Ace
Thanks ^^ Hopefully someday I can actually be a game musician for a living. Tis my dream.
Nope I got my name from a long time running joke on The Colbert Report.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Thanks ^^ Hopefully someday I can actually be a game musician for a living. Tis my dream.
Nope I got my name from a long time running joke on The Colbert Report.
^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^ I actually want to be one as well.

EDIT:
Also some more footage from me. Will get more for you guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7asdfJngu0#t=3m22s until 3:55
For that one, just make it last until 3:32, because in a piece of footage there shouldn't be battling going on, it should just be us ****** our opponent. lol

I like all of the footage. =3

8Bitman

Smash Master
I don't care. I mean hell we are going to be recycling a hell of a lot of the footage we already have with new footage because a lot that we have is old footage.

T_T Why is this taking so long.

VVVV What he said VVVV

luckylime

Smash Apprentice
Fantastic job on the song Bees! I'd just like to say it's very usable for the video. Although if you could change one TINY thing about it, at 2:35 you throw the sexiest metaphorical curve ball to our ears when you muffle the "chorus" and I instinctively knew it was about to explode, and sure enough it did... BUT! it sounded sharply off-key to me. I think you probably heightened the... pitch... or whatever e_e to make it sound more epic than the first time, but it kinda ruined negatively affected it instead. That's still my favorite part of the song though, I just want to hear it composed the way I imagined as I listened to the song for the first time.

So what I'm asking is, (If it's not too much trouble) could you normalize the pitch (or whatever) for that part of the song and re-release it? It's up to you since you're the artist but that's just my suggestion.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Okay, incoming johns, but I've been really busy with school and stuff lately, so I haven't had time to record the replays, but I should have them up tonight if I'm not too tired after my night class.

luckylime

Smash Apprentice
Also, something I haven't touched upon yet but I feel as we are starting to transition into the editing process, I should bring this up. The footage you guys are so generously supplying SHOULD be considered as preliminary audition-esque clips, not necessarily as the content for the final product, which also means we should be open to new clips even in the middle of the editing phase. Like 8bit already stated, we have a ton of footage ready to be used right now, this just hints that we should set some kind of standard. I see community videos like the Falcon boards' and the new DK boards video, and they are quite impressive, to say the least. I don't want our video to end up like the AiB community video did, if any of you remember that.

From my experience editing, I know that no matter how badly you may want to include certain clips before starting, you are probably better off leaving them out. 'Nifty little tricks' are nice on their own, but won't hold up when put alongside more lengthy, "meaty" content. These can be useful however as little clips to match the pacing of the music, so don't count them out completely. And try to avoid just "gameplay." If people want to see good gameplay, they would watch a game. Combo videos should be purely for the combos and hot moments. Also many people are partial to the idea that "shorter is sometimes better," including myself. Just because we can fill 15 minutes, doesn't mean we should. To make your videos shorter than they could be shows you have restraint, which people respect; that alone can potentially get us better ratings.

Now, I don't want people to think this means they're going to be left out of the video or that I'm intending on creating a dictatorship over which clips are accepted and which aren't (unless you guys are cool wit that >,>), anyone who contributed a fair sum of footage should logically get at least one appearance, right? I'm not going to force any decisions about filtering the clips unless yall put your faith in my ability to select the clips I think would impress people the most, based off my credentials as a video uploader (tekaiguy is my youtube channel, /shamelessselfpromotion). I guess I'm just trying to encourage you guys to be more comfortable with the idea that your clips might not end up in the final video, if you're not already cool with the fact, so that I can ideally employ said dictatorship and have an easier time with the editing *INHALE*.

If you manage to tank through all the text, do let me know what you think.

8Bitman

Smash Master
^^^^^ YUP! ^^^^^

Yeah guys we want primo stuff. Send us **** that you think is godly, or just flat out amazing, that always works. If it's too long and not much happens cut it.

Just try to find clips that range from 1 - 20 seconds TOPS! And if it is 20 seconds it better be good. Obviously a clip won't be 1 second but you get my point.

Bees!

Smash Ace
So what I'm asking is, (If it's not too much trouble) could you normalize the pitch (or whatever) for that part of the song and re-release it? It's up to you since you're the artist but that's just my suggestion.
I could try. The key change is intentional and since it lasts for the rest of the song it may be hard to change it all back. I could just change the part before the strings but then I will need a good bridge to transition into the epic strings part of the song. I will see what I can do. I may just use a transition with a drumroll and some climbing or falling bass sounds to get there. Hopefully I can make the changes this weekend.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I have my replays recorded, I just have no way of converting the .flv files. My friend helped me record them, so idk how to convert them on a Mac. Can I just send the .flv files? They're not edited or anything, so I'd still have to give the times, but at least they're recorded.

luckylime

Smash Apprentice
^That's fine, VLC can probably open them no problem. Do send your clips asap guys, although I'm trying to finish one project I've been working on before I start this video so it's not THAT big of a deal atm.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
^That's fine, VLC can probably open them no problem. Do send your clips asap guys, although I'm trying to finish one project I've been working on before I start this video so it's not THAT big of a deal atm.
Yeah, VLC opens them just fine, I just have no way of editing the clips, I'll PM you the links though.

Top Bottom