• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Focus Cancel!! Melee + Brawl: Columbus, Ohio June 27th

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Hello everyone!

There has not been a multiple game tournament in Columbus in a long time. One player decided this needed to change. Thus he presents...

FOCUS CANCEL

This tournament will have:

* All star cast of gamers
* Smoothly ran tournaments
* Very short registration lines
* Professional tournaments that actually start on time
* Large CASH payouts to top players, thanks to all the support from our Local and Regional gamers.

TheKiest will host Brawl and Melee.

Date: June 27th, 2009
750 Stelzer Rd, Columbus, OH 43219

Hotel Rooms: $83/Double (~$20 for each gamer)

~~~Please reserve rooms under the name **FOCUS CANCEL** to receive the special rate.~~~

Game List:
Street Fighter IV (PS3)
HD: Remix (PS3)
Street Fighter 3: 3S
Guilty Gear Accent Core
Soul Calibur IV (PS3)
Virtua Figher 5 (360)
Smash Bros. Brawl
Smash Bros. Melee

Registration
Starts at: 10 am
Registration and friendlies will start at 11 am
Melee Pools: Starts at Noon
Brawl Registration 1:30-2:00
Brawl Pools: 2:30
Melee Singles: When Brawl Pools end (4ish)
Brawl Singles: 5-5:30ish
Melee and Brawl Finals (winner, loser, and grand) will start afterward and would be played on the live stream time pending.

Pay-out:
Most likely 70/20/10-entry fee/entry fee
Tournament entry: $10
Venue Fee: $10
This will be wavered if you bring a full setup (cube or wii + TV + game disc + card with all stages and characters unlocked) AND if we use the setup.
We will definitely use the first 14 setups.

Preregistration:
To help us determine how much space/setups we need. PLEASE PLEASE Post the following if you know you are coming to this tournament:

Handle/Name:
Game you'll be in:

Here is an Example:
TheKiest
Worthington, Ohio
OUGA
Smash Bros. Brawl

As of now, both Melee and Brawl will be singles only with pools.
Myspace page: http://myspace.com/focuscancel
Midwest Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=7410560#post7410560
Live stream Link: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/focuscancel

Brawl Rules:

3 Stock
8 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Dave's Stupid Rule: No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* Iggy's Stupid Rule: You may not pause the match yourself. If you absolutely need to pause, it must be done so at the consent of your opponent.

* No show DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set. There should be no excuse for not being there when your match is called because all the food you need is in the venue for you.

* Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.

* Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Nope's No BS Rule: By participating in this tournament you give the Tournament Operator and their affiliates the right to film, photograph and record your name, nickname, pseudonym, persona, picture, biographical material, voice and/or likeness and to use the same in any manner or media in connection with the Event to broadcast, reproduce, distribute and exhibit such photographs and/or recordings, in any manner whatsoever, by any and all means, media, devices, processes and technology now or hereafter known or devised anywhere in the universe at anytime in perpetuity.

Seamus McFly's Sportsmanship Rule:
If a losing player ends the match with "No Contest" (pausing and ending the game) after they lose their final stock but before "GAME" is called, that player is subject to consequences ranging from forfeit of that set to disqualification from the competition. Consequences can be avoided by apologizing to the other player for robbing them of a victory screen. Also, Excessive displays of rage over losing matches (shouting, controller throwing) will not be tolerated.

In other words, be respectful to the game and the players.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first

Pools:
In the event that a player forfeits or is disqualified before pools are finished, then that player losses 0-2 to everyone in his/hers group. Even if they played each other already.

Stage List:

Neutral: For Stage Striking

- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Lylat Cruise
- Smashville
- Yoshi's Island

Counterpick:

- Brinstar
- Castle Siege
- Delfino
- Frigate Orpheon
- Jungle Japes
- Pictochat
- Pirate Ship
- Pokémon Stadium 2
- Rainbow Cruise
- Distant Planet
- Luigi's Mansion (pipes)
- Yoshi's Island pipes (Pipes)
- Norfair

Rest of stages banned.

Melee info in second post:

More info to come later!!

Prereg List:
(There are a lot more than this, they just don't post in smash boards)

Brawl:
TheKiest
Hough
Quivo?
Crunch?
Moose?
ActualCat?
ActualCat+1?
T-800
TheLake?
TheLake+1?
Swift
Swift+1?
XeroXen?
XeroXen's cousin?

Melee:
Drephen
Impp
4% APR?
Wgs?
ActualCat?
ActualCat+1?
God Voice
Cess
Cess+1?
Cess+2?
Soap?
TheLake?
TheLake+1?
Swift?
Swift+1?
N-412
N-412+1
COHEED AND CAMBRIA

Live Stream Link:

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I've started going crazy picking up random fighting games. I'll try to see if I can be there for melee, accent core, and soul caliber IV...

Also, why just accent core and not accent core plus? And what console will it be played on?

4% APR

Smash Champion
i'll come for melee

wait, is there gonna be teams? If not i prolly wont come to be honest

4% APR

Smash Champion
i might be able to convince x to do wablr teams too. I still have a weird softspot for that game

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Originally there wasn't going to be teams.

There probably will due to lack of attendance and lack of Brawl players (most claim they are going to Springfield this date)

TheKiest

Smash Champion
SO far I have heard from just Imp.

Kinda lowish turnout so far (for smash, not other games), but event is still a month away!

TheKiest

Smash Champion
I'm do not knwo why in the Melee area...

But for Brawl I know of two reasons:

1) The huge MWC champs is in Springfield the weekend before, thus Oout of Staters will be booking for that weekend, not this one.

2) Springfield is hosting their monthly the same weekend as this, taking many of the local brawl players with them.

Step it up yos!

hough123

Smash Ace
Just to make sure, this tournament will go on for multiple days?
I might come =3

hough123

Smash Ace
I'm do not knwo why in the Melee area...

But for Brawl I know of two reasons:

1) The huge MWC champs is in Springfield the weekend before, thus Oout of Staters will be booking for that weekend, not this one.

2) Springfield is hosting their monthly the same weekend as this, taking many of the local brawl players with them.

Step it up yos!
So how many people are estimated to come? This is the first tourney close to me all year, and I'd rather come to a large one. Also, how many days will this go on for?

T-800

Smash Apprentice
If the Brawl attendance looks like it might be under 20, I may come to this for kicks.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Where are you from Hough?

There have been many tournes in this area for the past 2 months....

And this is a one day tournament.

hough123

Smash Ace
Where are you from Hough?

There have been many tournes in this area for the past 2 months....

And this is a one day tournament.
I'm from Columbus, I'm like 13 minutes away from the venue.
Also, I'd previously given up Brawl for Pokemon, (LOL), but I came back, apparently two months too late :ohwell:

TheKiest

Smash Champion
There is a Brawl Tourne this Weekend, WIngs and Brew, which is in Columbus.

Next weekend is the Midwest Circuit Champs in Springfield (40 mins west of C-bus).

Updated the small prereg list.

Where is Melee at?!?!?!

hough123

Smash Ace
There is a Brawl Tourne this Weekend, WIngs and Brew, which is in Columbus.

Next weekend is the Midwest Circuit Champs in Springfield (40 mins west of C-bus).

Updated the small prereg list.

Where is Melee at?!?!?!
I know, but I had plans today )=

=P.

Smash Apprentice
Haha Godvoice and I are commin for sure now lol so u have 2 more players commin that way for melee and we may possibly be bringin a third

Cess
Canfield, OH
Melee

hough123

Smash Ace
I'm sorry for all the questions, but this is my second tournement and I didn't pay any attention in my first.
Concerning bringing set-ups, if I bring a cube, melee, and a card but not a TV, do I still get the fee waivered? If so, could I bring a wii and brawl to cover that?

hough123

Smash Ace
A full setup includes a TV.

Glad to hear it =P.
I can't bring a TV, though D:
Regarding the wii: I used to have homebrew on it, but it's gone now. Some stages have a random chance not to play music, but they all work perfectly besides that.

EDIT: I get it, a cube is useless without a TV to use it on.

Oh yeah:
Name: Hough123.
Crew Name (If applies): It doesn't.
Game you'll be in: Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Impp

Smash Ace
How's melee looking as far as people showing? I mean is anyone bringing people? Does a lot of Columbus even know about this?
I got off this Saturday without requesting it, so aparently I'm destined to show up and win this.
I'll bring a set up, and I might have 1-2 people coming with me.

Top Bottom