• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Floaty Purposes [MEWTWO GENERAL]

GeZ

Smash Lord
I really don't like M2K's Mewtwo. It's consistent but that's all it has going for it as he doesn't stray from the basics. That's actually one of my main dislikes of M2K is how conventionally he plays. I feel that Mewtwo is such a cool, cerebral character that sticking to the basics with him is just a waste of potential.

ss118

Smash Master
Wow... mew2king really just abused the fact that Rolex had no idea how to deal with CC grabs. His mewtwo was pretty dissappointing...

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
M2K was literally just playing Melee Mewtwo with the ability to attack out of Teleport. Kinda disappointing, but expected because he probably hasn't had much time to mess around with the new PM stuff. Hopefully as time goes on we'll see him do more impressive things :)

Vale

Smash Ace
I personally enjoyed seeing Mew2King's mastery of the hover.

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised he didn't use hover more. I mean you can play Mewtwo like Peach and Jigglypuff mixed together, just staying in the air with the huge ass bairs, baiting and punishing with float cancelled moves. Out space your opponents completely, then out move them with teleport once you get the hang of it. I can't wait to see how broken the current Mewtwo can be.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
That would only work if his aerials were any where near as good as peach or jiggs
the only thing that compares is bair
Even with that he doesn't have close to jiggs aerial mobility so yeah

GeZ

Smash Lord
M2K was literally just playing Melee Mewtwo with the ability to attack out of Teleport. Kinda disappointing, but expected because he probably hasn't had much time to mess around with the new PM stuff. Hopefully as time goes on we'll see him do more impressive things :)
He's actually been playing Mewtwo since he was finished but 3.0 wasn't released, so the playstyle isn't a byproduct of unfamiliarity unfortunately.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
He's actually been playing Mewtwo since he was finished but 3.0 wasn't released, so the playstyle isn't a byproduct of unfamiliarity unfortunately.
Source? After the release I remember seeing him post that he wouldn't have access to PM for a while so he wouldn't be playing the new characters very much.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Well what reliable ways does M2 have to kill someone beside Uthrow and shadowball ?
I'm not M2K but throughout my games playing M2 I don't remember finding any setups to land a smash or a Fair.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
hover canceling sets up fair more often than you think it would. Bthrow to gimp is also an excellent way to net a kill. Mewtwo has a surprisingly diverse combo tree, you just need to feel it out a lot more than normal. Every combo in Shadowclaw is not only possible in PM, but also easier to pull off. Because Mewtwo has so many options in the air, his combos rely on knowing all of his options at any given time. If you just let it flow you can get really fancy with him.

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
Well what reliable ways does M2 have to kill someone beside Uthrow and shadowball ?
I'm not M2K but throughout my games playing M2 I don't remember finding any setups to land a smash or a Fair.
I'm not sure if you're trying to imply I'm insulting his play but if you are I'm not. His play was simple and what I posted was pretty much all his meta consisted of that match. I'm also not saying the playstyle he chose wasn't effective, he won. His Mewtwo was just basic that's all I'm saying. I expect more from my ***** M2K.

Fair is pretty easy to land with mixups. Fsmash isn't easy to land but you can couple a wavedash with it and catch an approaching opponent with the correct spacing. Dsmash is good on the ledge and is free after a disable. Bair gimps for days, it's a very reliable tool. Dair along with the ability to hover gives you the ability to spike at will. You just have to read your opponents recovery. Bthrow also kills. Not the most reliable but it's still an option. As someone mentioned before this setups Bair gimps and Dair spikes as well. M2 has plenty of options to take a stock.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
No I didn't imply that you insulted his playstyle, just that you were disappointed by how simple he played. Which is the case if I'm not mistaken.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I was plowing through Lvl. 9's as Samus, followed by Mewtwo earlier today.

I K.O.ed one of them with Mewtwo's nAir. Like, hit the ground while using it, then the last "shock" threw them off the screen. I can't remember what percentage MK was at when it happened. I just stood there, completely stunned.

Today was a good day.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
So yeah Mewtwo is hella fun thinking about messing around with him more and making him one of my pocket characters. Hella excited.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Can we see a hitbox legend for M2? I always feel more confident with any character in seeing the hitbox legend.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Anyone got any combos for lighter characters and floaters? Some characters, like Samus, are so daggum floaty that its harder to keep a read on their DI compared to others. Any combos on the spacies would be appreciated, too. Not used to their insane fall speeds.

Vale

Smash Ace
I haven't had much experience in doubles, but from what I have done you can land some pretty sneaky disables due to the fact they have to focus on both you and your opponent. On the other hand, general "mindgames" don't seem to work as much.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
not a mew2 main by any means and this may have been said already.but i was playing him for fun and started charging a shadow ball near the top of my double jump and it looked as if he got an extra boost and slowly floated down almost like wearing a parachute. dont know how helpful this is for u guys but figured i put this here.could be helpful since he can cancel the shadow ball with L and attack after. just a thought

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
not a mew2 main by any means and this may have been said already.but i was playing him for fun and started charging a shadow ball near the top of my double jump and it looked as if he got an extra boost and slowly floated down almost like wearing a parachute. dont know how helpful this is for u guys but figured i put this here.could be helpful since he can cancel the shadow ball with L and attack after. just a thought
Yeah I noticed this too. He can't do this in Melee because the shadowball stops his vertical momentum.
Basically it's just that he's able to extend his double jump with his shadowball just like he can with aerials. It's the best way to extend it if there isn't anyone near enough to hit you, because pulling out the shadowball is canceling it is pretty fast- faster than any of his aerials. You can of course use it to turn around during a double jump, perhaps to get in position for a bair. I try to use it to sneak in some extra charge while recovering by jumping high, charging the shadowball, then canceling and teleporting to the edge.

Vale

Smash Ace
oh hey, i was at a 70+ man tournament that had hbox and plup yesterday
why did we not play dittos

Top Bottom