• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Floaty Purposes [MEWTWO GENERAL]

Vale

Smash Ace
highlights from school tournament:
no crts, main setup was a projector.
about 50 entrants
at least 10 people were playing kirby. they were all out by the end of the second round. same for meta knight.
wasn't able to figure out the input lag in time for the tournament, so i ended up going link instead of mewtwo
played mewtwo in most of the friendlies after the tournament, though. won a 1v3 team battle because they kept SDing (I had 6 KOs out of the 12 at the end)
met another group of 3-4 smashers that were a step above the people not in my group.
my friend (pit main) lost to a jigglypuff because he couldn't figure out that jumping on a platform would lead to avoiding rollout and died twice by trying to shoot an arrow after the rollout launched.

overall it was pretty cool, even if the ruleset was suboptimal due to time constraints (time limit of 2 hours, barely finished with bo1 single elimination w/ bo3 grand finals)

Sempai

Smash Ace
Punish game/combo game on floaties.

Limited to utilt and uair strings for the most part?

Or is anyone having sucess with fair strings?

Sorry for double post :p

Times where dthrow is superior to uthrow in regards to comboing? if they di away I cant seem to get anything relevant. At most i WD in and try for a tech chase.

Should I be uthrowing and picking with uair? or just go for bthrow and attempt to wall them out with bairs? [not fthrow so much since its angle is so high]

Last edited by a moderator:

RedEyesWhiteSwaggin

Smash Apprentice
Punish game/combo game on floaties.

Limited to utilt and uair strings for the most part?

Or is anyone having sucess with fair strings?

Sorry for double post :p

Times where dthrow is superior to uthrow in regards to comboing? if they di away I cant seem to get anything relevant. At most i WD in and try for a tech chase.

Should I be uthrowing and picking with uair? or just go for bthrow and attempt to wall them out with bairs? [not fthrow so much since its angle is so high]
Don't forget you can teleport. uthrow>jump teleport gets you an uair/fair on a lot of characters depending on %. Dthrow>jump TP>hover can cover a lot of tech options if they get sent far away (might also be good on those floatie enough to be able to jump after being dthrown). Fthrow>jump TP can have followups too. Also you can turn around in teleport so you can get bairs by pressing back after you disappear.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
Keep in mind that if they're floaty, uthrow will kill pretty early, so you can, at the very least, play the percent camp game.
Also, question. When techchasing with dthrow > jump tele, can't that get messed with by getup attacks? I find that getup attacks in general are a problem when i techchase, as i'm usually in the air/hovering and can't shield them.

RedEyesWhiteSwaggin

Smash Apprentice
Keep in mind that if they're floaty, uthrow will kill pretty early, so you can, at the very least, play the percent camp game.
Also, question. When techchasing with dthrow > jump tele, can't that get messed with by getup attacks? I find that getup attacks in general are a problem when i techchase, as i'm usually in the air/hovering and can't shield them.
Hover out of teleport and dunk them ;o Also as far as I can tell, characters that cannot jump out of dthrow at higher percents basically guarantees you a regrab, even though M2 is pretty slow.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
Yo any tips on how to face a Diddy Kong?
grab his bananas by wavedashing and do that airdodge item throw tech from brawl mewtwo is really good at it

predict his forward b during recovery and back air that ****

remember the monkey doesnt know what a kill move is

McNinja

Smash Ace
How do you follow up after you throw the banana? I don't really play brawl so I'm not sure how punishable tripping is.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
How do you follow up after you throw the banana? I don't really play brawl so I'm not sure how punishable tripping is.
You can think of tripping as a missed tech that forces them to stay on the ground a bit longer and no invincibility. Even if you miss the initial "hit me" phase you just go into a tech chase.

Last edited:

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
grounded banana hits trip you.

pm is designed so that trap can be teched as usual.

however mewtwo's throw and distance thrown is pretty ridiculous so this can easily translate into a dtilt or a grab if it's shielded

the easiest way to figure out what to do is really to watch diddy footage and you'll quickly realize why bananas are the pivotal mechanism behind diddy. you can do basically anything you want out of it, a safe option would be dtilt.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Hmm yeah I guess i just need to use the bananas against him. After playing a solid diddy player for awhile, i just tried to zone him out of his bananas, or pressure him so much that he couldn't pull them out since i didn't really know how to use the bananas against him. I'll just have to experiment with it a bit I guess. Thanks for the help guys!

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
would you say mewtwo is more offensive, defensive or both? i get away with aggro mewtwo vs players who dont know the mu or when idc about the outcome but when i play better players i feel defense is more necessary. any thoughts?

Vale

Smash Ace
i would say defensive, but i'm bad and sit charging shadowball instead of weaving around everywhere and manipulating my movement options.

i'd say pseudo-offense like Shiek is probably the best option. Don't actually commit to anything, but stay just far enough away where you can evade/punish anything they do.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
mewtwo cant go hyper aggressive on anyone who knows the matchup

cuz mewtwo's such a fat character he can generally come ahead in blow for blow fights. even if mewtwo gets hit like 3-4 times he can easily convert into huge combos at the drop of a hat. it's kind of silly honestly but it works

Master Raven

Smash Master
The general rule of thumb is to play safe and **** your opponent up if they open themselves up for an attack. I never really looked at any character in terms of whether they're more defense or offense-oriented. If anything, that's matchup-dependent.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Posting in here because there are a **** load of threads already and I really don't want to search them all to see if its been discussed before. (Really, you guys should get rid of the threads and just make a Q&A or something)
I rant about Footstool stuff a lot, and a few of us in AZ are putting togeather a footstool shield pressure video. I did some cool mewtwo stuff That I don't know if it has been explored by mewtwo mains, and I honestly think its way to good.

Footstooling people gives the footstooler 20 frames of advantage on the opponent, and gets them out of their shields. Where I'm going with this is that despite the large jump Mewtwo makes with a footstool, he has both DJCs and HC aerials. Mewtwo can footstool and then DJC nair/uair/dair, as well as being able to Footstool> HC fair/uair/nair/dair. Mewtwo can probably also get FS>Hover side-b/down-b but I haven't messed around with that.

Basically the major application of this is that shielding against a mewtwo is not safe. If you jump/teleport/whatever towards someone and they shield, just Footstool>DJC dair/HC dair/fair and enjoy the free as hell combo.

I don't know how explored this is but I really really think M2 mains should incorporate this heavily into their game plan.

We will have a video up eventually and I'll repost the mewtwo segment here.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
Posting in here because there are a **** load of threads already and I really don't want to search them all to see if its been discussed before. (Really, you guys should get rid of the threads and just make a Q&A or something)
I rant about Footstool stuff a lot, and a few of us in AZ are putting togeather a footstool shield pressure video. I did some cool mewtwo stuff That I don't know if it has been explored by mewtwo mains, and I honestly think its way to good.

Footstooling people gives the footstooler 20 frames of advantage on the opponent, and gets them out of their shields. Where I'm going with this is that despite the large jump Mewtwo makes with a footstool, he has both DJCs and HC aerials. Mewtwo can footstool and then DJC nair/uair/dair, as well as being able to Footstool> HC fair/uair/nair/dair. Mewtwo can probably also get FS>Hover side-b/down-b but I haven't messed around with that.

Basically the major application of this is that shielding against a mewtwo is not safe. If you jump/teleport/whatever towards someone and they shield, just Footstool>DJC dair/HC dair/fair and enjoy the free as hell combo.

I don't know how explored this is but I really really think M2 mains should incorporate this heavily into their game plan.

this gets me very, very excited.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord

ya ive been trying to incorporate this into my game the problem is the person i practice against knows im trying for this **** and never shields

Top Bottom