• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Floaty Purposes [MEWTWO GENERAL]

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
first
yay m2

I couldn't think of a post with more substance

new teleport ending animation looks boss
fthrow already looked cool, but if they needed to change to make it better or for him to have a working fthrow, fine by me
hover cancels + teleport cancels might be overkill in the advanced stuff department, hopefully he'll have enough things not going for him such that he wouldn't warrant any nerfs immediately following the release.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Using Peach as a base to get that float... very interesting.

The buffs look good. And don't I remember reading something like M2K would totally embrace this game if they put Mewtwo in it?

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
So, am I correct that the new hover mechanic means you have to press down on the control stick, hold x, and then change the direction of the control stick to choose which direction to hover?

Also, I'm going to be spending all my time in this section of the boards.

Also, Mewtwo tech skill videos are going to be so sweet with his new flashy advanced tech.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
it was looking like his overb functioned a bit more like a command grab now. i kept hearing that "shink!" sound at the end of it when he used it on opponents, with a little flash, then it looks like you get a guaranteed something out of it?

MLGF

Smash Lord
Wait it's a Peach base? ...wow...
Now that's creative.
I just hope his hitboxes are a tad less "wonky"

Nguz95

Smash Lord
@Mewtwo discussion - I welcome the addition of hyper combo characters. Roy and Mewtwo seem to be agressor's like Metaknight and I think it's a good thing because it rebalances the cast.

So far in PM's history characters that are aggressive, combo oriented, destructive types have been slightly or massively nerfed. on the other hand more defensive or (lame) characters have been untouched or improved. Therefore, these new additions are great imo, especially if they are as good as they look.
I'm going to take this from the tier list thread. From the look of the trailer, Mewtwo is going to have movement options that are literally unprecedented in Smash. No one has had a float that offers full 360 degree control or an up-b that can be canceled so many times. There has to be some catch, because right now, in a game where movement is king, Mewtwo looks like he'll stand head and shoulders above the rest. I'm predicting that he will still be light, and I think his float will last for in between 1 and 2 seconds. Any more, and his combo potential will be beyond insane (even crazier than 2.1 Lucario). I also think Teleport will lose its invincibility during travel. he might get KB armor or something, but to be able to cancel such a quick invincible recovery move with what looks like literally no lag could cause serious balance problems. Did anybody see Mewtwo cancel his nair into a fair mid-combo against Roy? He also did like 5 shadow claws incredibly fast around the 1:30 mark. I'm not sure what to make of that. If he can on-hit cancel aerials then he will literally be unstoppable as soon as he gets a hit off. I'm super excited for this character, but I think there will definitely e some kind of compensation for his apparent combo mastery.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
pretty sure that wasn't nair cancelled to fair, it's jut nair having short ending frames.

and the multiclaw is something you could even do in melee, iirc. it's just djc'ing into fair, then lcancelling and repeating.

however, he does look to have really good combos : o he might end up being on the lighter end again.

GigasOverlord

Smash Apprentice
Not gonna lie. I thought the name of the thread was Floaty Porpoises and got a little too hype. Anyways, I predict that Hover tech is gonna be hard as hell to master, but benefit the Mewtwo metagame hugely when players understand it.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Mewtwo's pac file was originally cloned from Lucario to get Shadow Ball, Teleport, and Confusion working properly -- if you recall from our Clone Engine post we have to use a "donor" character with appropriate articles and command grab options. I copied the coding for Hover from Peach's Float into an unused Mewtwo action slot and then edited it in many ways to create the end result seen in the video.

Like Peach's Float, holding Jump after an aerial attack or at the end of your first jump will also put you into Hover seamlessly without the need for a concurrent Down input. As the video stated, though you can't use Hover after 2nd jump, or 2nd jump after Hover -- think of Hover like an alternate 2nd jump. Although this is a little less intuitive than Peach's, it was necessary for recovery balancing reasons.

The quick Shadow Claws are due to a combination of Edge canceling & Hover Canceling... HC puts Mewtwo into Normal landing lag (4 frames) instead of Aerial Attack landing lag (7+ frames). You can get some pretty hefty shield advantage out of it if you have good tech skill. Fun stuff.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Side b buff looks good, and the f-throw is just pure awesome

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
nair ends quickly, some of those shadow claws were edge canceled and the move seems to end earlier too. says on his character page that he has reduced lag on his aerials, I'm assuming this means ending lag not landing lag (possibly both), that explains some of your issues with what you saw

EDIT:ninja'd

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The teleport stuff is going to get real annoying very quickly, unless he's more vulnerable/laggy coming out of it than we thought. I really don't like the idea of being able to act immediately out of it, that's a neutral game tool he probably shouldn't have. We'll see what it really looks like once it's out I guess

"but to be able to cancel such a quick invincible recovery move with what looks like literally no lag could cause serious balance problems."

That's my concern onstage

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Mewtwo's pac file was originally cloned from Lucario to get Shadow Ball, Teleport, and Confusion working properly -- if you recall from our Clone Engine post we have to use a "donor" character with appropriate articles and command grab options. The coding for Hover was copied in from Peach's Float into an unused Mewtwo action slot and then edited in many ways to create the end result seen in the video.

Like Peach's Float, holding Jump after an aerial attack or at the end of your first jump will also put you into Hover seamlessly without the need for a concurrent Down input.

The quick Shadow Claws are due to Hover Canceling... which puts Mewtwo into Normal landing lag (4 frames) instead of Aerial Attack landing lag (7+ frames). You can get some pretty hefty shield advantage out of it if you have good tech skill. Fun stuff.
That sounds really cool. It sounds almost like Lucas's DJC aerials in terms of shield pressure. He sounds like he'll be the coolest character in the game. having Lucas's DJC and Peach's Float cancels is going to be awesome!
Edit:
The teleport stuff is going to get real annoying very quickly, unless he's more vulnerable/laggy coming out of it than we thought. I really don't like the idea of being able to act immediately out of it, that's a neutral game tool he probably shouldn't have. We'll see what it really looks like once it's out I guess
that's why I'll think he will lose his invulnerability during the travel frames. He might get armor on startup or have light armor during the move, but I think removing his invulnerability is the only way to make that move balanced. Who knows though (besides the PMBR).

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I'm going to take this from the tier list thread. From the look of the trailer, Mewtwo is going to have movement options that are literally unprecedented in Smash. No one has had a float that offers full 360 degree control or an up-b that can be canceled so many times. There has to be some catch, because right now, in a game where movement is king, Mewtwo looks like he'll stand head and shoulders above the rest. I'm predicting that he will still be light, and I think his float will last for in between 1 and 2 seconds. Any more, and his combo potential will be beyond insane (even crazier than 2.1 Lucario). I also think Teleport will lose its invincibility during travel. he might get KB armor or something, but to be able to cancel such a quick invincible recovery move with what looks like literally no lag could cause serious balance problems. Did anybody see Mewtwo cancel his nair into a fair mid-combo against Roy? He also did like 5 shadow claws incredibly fast around the 1:30 mark. I'm not sure what to make of that. If he can on-hit cancel aerials then he will literally be unstoppable as soon as he gets a hit off. I'm super excited for this character, but I think there will definitely e some kind of compensation for his apparent combo mastery.

Naw, this is all silliness.
He does have more movement options than anyone else it seems, but due to how slow he floats and how little movement it actually grants it can't really get him in.
That's always been Mewtwo's issue, getting in. In Melee, even against floats, once he gets that solid fair or something he can rack up plenty of damage, but he had so much issue getting close enough and not getting smacked away.
The only huge buff to that that I've seen is for him to teleport in and fair, but that sounds SUPER unsafe, so it's not a very good option.
Mewtwo's now a much, much better character, but if his tail is still part of his hitbox and he still doesn't get too many new ways to make his way in and start combos, he isn't going to win games any easier than before, he'll just have bigger punishes.

I like what they've done with him, a lot.

GigasOverlord

Smash Apprentice
I really don't like the idea of being able to act immediately out of it, that's a neutral game tool he probably shouldn't have.
And then you realize N-Airplane and everything's cool. :troll:

In all seriousness, though, it'll probably take some serious reads to do Teleport followups successfully.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I hope he's a difficult character and turns off like 90% of the people that jump into playing him just because it's a character new to brawl

In all seriousness, though, it'll probably take some serious reads to do Teleport followups successfully.
I was thinking the same thing, maybe on spacies/falcon it looks good but they suffer so much hitstun for any amount of knockback height that following up on reaction is easy with almost any character, I doubt M2 will have the same ease on the rest of the cast.

ItalianStallion

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I would argue that since the trailers are TAS'd (I think), and they aren't real matches, but rather just move demonstrations, characters will come off as overpowered. I doubt we will be seeing stuff like 1:33 to 1:42 very often at all. That string looks like it will require very fast fingers and will be super hard to do consistently. I also imagine that he is still light and gets punished pretty hard still. If they made him into a kind of glass canon, that would be sweet because it fits who he is as a pokemon, and it's also cool for the game.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
And then you realize N-Airplane and everything's cool. :troll:

Not really... Teleport teleports a fixed distance, and that distance isn't even that far. If you throw out a sex kick like Link's or Mario's and just short hop in towards Mewtwo from the max teleport distance and he pops up, they'll hit him.

Everyone needs to understand acting instantly out of the teleport does NOT mean a hitbox comes out instantly. Unless they give Mewtwo a shine.

Even then, all he can do is trade if there's a hitbox in the way.

Yeah, I would argue that since the trailers are TAS'd (I think), and they aren't real matches, but rather just move demonstrations, characters will come off as overpowered. I doubt we will be seeing stuff like 1:33 to 1:42 very often at all. That string looks like it will require very fast fingers and will be super hard to do consistently. I also imagine that he is still light and gets punished pretty hard still. If they made him into a kind of glass canon, that would be sweet because it fits who he is as a pokemon, and it's also cool for the game.

Yes, this too, kinda. Everything shown in the trailer was of Mewtwo once he had already started his combo. Mewtwo's great at comboing, always has been, but his new build still doesn't grant him many more ways to start it.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I hope he's a difficult character and turns off like 90% of the people that jump into playing him just because it's a character new to brawl

I was thinking the same thing, maybe on spacies/falcon it looks good but they suffer so much hitstun for any amount of knockback height that following up on reaction is easy with almost any character, I doubt M2 will have the same ease on the rest of the cast.
Naw man, strong hit nair teleport shadow claw is going to wreck all the b******.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I didn't see any jump animation, it looked like he stayed there, then faired without landing, sec gonna watch it again

EDIT: He definitely didn't land, he was a foot off the ground the whole time and there was no jump animation

Rikana

Smash Champion
Some are TAS, some are real gameplays.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Using Peach as a base to get that float... very interesting.

We didn't use Peach as a base at all. We used Lucario as the base (Aura Sphere -> Shadow Ball and the command grab). The float could be programmed in manually.

EDIT: Missed Shell's post

Though whilst I'm still here mad shoutouts to haloedhero. Recreating almost every Mewtwo animation from scratch in Brawlbox and up to the such a high standard takes a crazy amount of skill and patience. When we mentioned the 700+ hours before, this character is mainly what we were talking about.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
We didn't use Peach as a base at all. We used Lucario as the base (Aura Sphere -> Shadow Ball and the command grab). The float could be programmed in manually.
Ah ha! That makes sense.

OK but pls stop adding pokemans after this tho. Super Pokemon Brothers rite

Rikana

Smash Champion
Oh. OK. Hey, Rikana, were you one of the people involved in the design of Mewtwo?
Depends on what your definition of "design" is. I would say I devoted quite a bit of time (surprising, I know) on Mewtwo in general, though.

Top Bottom