• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Floaty Purposes [MEWTWO GENERAL]

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I didn't know he would be at Big House 3. That's awesome! Thank you for the writeup Rikana. I have a few questions for you hough. Don't feel like you have to answer every one. I'm sure you didn't test all of these in the short time you had with Mewtwo. Thanks again!

1. Was he invincible during teleport? At what moment did the invincibility start?
2. Could you hover cancel immediately after an aerial teleport?
3. Did teleporting into the ground from the air have any landing lag?
4. How fast could you double jump cancel aerials?
5. Could you do rising and falling DJC aerials like Lucas and Ness?
6. How long was hover?
7. Was the tip of his ftilt strengthened at all?
8. Did dsmash's hitboxes go below the stage?
9. Did Mewtwo retain Lucario's wall cling?
10. How much was his dash and run speed buffed?

1. Invincibility is the same as Melee, starting frame 8 iirc
2. Yes if you use Up-B from or near the ground - Teleport -> Hover -> Fair/Nair are popular approaches.
3. Yes it still has 4 (?) frames land lag like Melee iirc
4. You can DJC aerials "pretty fast" -- frame data obv varies from aerial to aerial. Hover canceling is faster, though....
5. No -- like Peach, we added a path-based DJ onto a previously non-path-based DJ, and haven't yet figured out how to add rising DJ aerials yet. You can use rising Hover'd Aerials to accomplish a lot of the same stuff though.
6. It's 60 frames (exactly 1 second) right now.
7. Yes, most of his tail attacks have more KB to their weakest points or in general, and many have hitboxes active for more of the animation
8. It always has a bit
9. Nope. Doesn't really fit Mewtwo imo.
10. None -- you'd have to buff it a *lot* before it'd become more useful than his WD anyways, which is really good.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
1. Invincibility is the same as Melee, starting frame 8 iirc
2. Yes if you use Up-B from or near the ground - Teleport -> Hover -> Fair/Nair are popular approaches.
3. Yes it still has 4 (?) frames land lag like Melee iirc
4. You can DJC aerials "pretty fast" -- frame data obv varies from aerial to aerial. Hover canceling is faster, though....
5. No -- like Peach, we added a path-based DJ onto a previously non-path-based DJ, and haven't yet figured out how to add rising DJ aerials yet. You can use rising Hover'd Aerials to accomplish a lot of the same stuff though.
6. It's 60 frames (exactly 1 second) right now.
7. Yes, most of his tail attacks have more KB to their weakest points or in general, and many have hitboxes active for more of the animation
8. It always has a bit
9. Nope. Doesn't really fit Mewtwo imo.
10. None -- you'd have to buff it a *lot* before it'd become more useful than his WD anyways, which is really good.
Thank you very much Shell. I'm seeing a problem vs Fox since teleport has the same startup. Uthrow uair is going to be nearly inescapable. I can definitely see his DJC being slower than Ness' and Lucas' because Mewwo's attributes are totally different than both of them. Having a 60 frame hover seems perfect to me. It's just enough to keep his recovery from being absurd. I can imagine some nice ledge tricks coming from this mechanic though. I imagine teleport hover confusion is going to be a deadly approach option. From what I saw in the video Confusion's startup is at least the same as Melee's. That means he will start teleport in 8 frames, move across the stage for 10, reappear (however long that takes), and start confusion, which takes 12 frames to appear. That's 30 frames total to travel the full distance of a teleport and get off a grab with a really big hitbox. That sounds like an incredible approach tool.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
Just as a quick clarification for you guys who are wondering about specifics between Melee Mewtwo and PM Mewtwo, I was very adamant while creating Mewtwo that I port his Melee stats EXACTLY at first, and then we buffed him from there.

Basically, anything that is different from Melee is a deliberate buff. There's always the small chance that a mistake was made, but a lot of effort went into porting Mewtwo properly, so you can rest assured that he'll feel like any other character that made the jump from Melee -> Brawl -> PM.

Also, I'd be shocked if he was either "OP" or still in need of buffs. He's a character that has a lot of options but requires imagination and accurate control to put them to good use. This is what I think makes him so much fun.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
I'm not gonna lie, If mewtwo ends up better than every other character by a significant margin I wouldn't care. He should've been broken since 2001. It's kinda what was expected considering how dominant he was as a pokemon back then.
if you're trying to troll me then I didn't say by far the best character, just high tier xD

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
mewtwo should have been the best character in melee.

and overall his melee moveset is a poor representation of the character.

the great thing is that if this current PM mewtwo is not good enough, he can be changed lol

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Not sure if this was posted in another thread or not, but how bout dat render?

Props to StarWaffle I believe.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
the great thing is that if this current PM mewtwo is not good enough, he can be changed lol
Yes, this can be good in some ways.

I am really appreciative of the time the pmbr put into the game. The mewtwo render is indeed amazing, and I can't imagine how complex it must have been to make all these changes to mewtwo's data

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Looks excellent, but is it just me, or is his head significantly bigger? It could just be the camera angle. It looks completely fine in-game though. Both models are a lot closer to the proportions in the modern Pokemon sprite art than in the movies.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Maybe they're... IDK, "Modernizing" his look.

Also, his tail looks HUGE. But many times it looked like the hitboxes may not reach the entire tail length, but I'd guess I'm wrong on that so, HOLY MOLY his hitboxes will dominate.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Unless they changed the move, I'd guess so, considering a similar move (Lucas's Dsmash) doesn't exactly hit behind.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I will definitely give him a try, but he has always been a bit slow for my taste. Also, please don`t reply to this telling me why he should be that slow. I know why he is slow and I think his speed is perfect for his play style. I am just saying that he is a bit to slow for me.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
The exact attributes / timings of each aren't 100% the same so I wouldn't try to train peach's muscle memory into your hands or anything.
Yeah, from what I've seen of Mewtwo as Yeroc's crash test dummy, you still have to l-cancel hovered aerials. In some cases, it's much more worthwhile just to maintain the hover. There's going to be a lot of intricacies to Mewtwo's aerial game, and they're not going to really bear much resemblance to Peach. Best to just wait until the next release, as painful as that wait will be.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
You can definitely see the difference between their abdominal section as the new Mewtwo has a much slimmer and slightly elongated design which IMO look much better than the crunched up Melee model.

Rikana

Smash Champion
You don't need to lcancel hovered aerials. They land with 4 frames of landing lag, just like Peach's float cancels. Comparing the two, Peach's hover canceled fAirs are still better than Mewtwo's due to the higher shieldstun.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Maybe they're... IDK, "Modernizing" his look.

Also, his tail looks HUGE. But many times it looked like the hitboxes may not reach the entire tail length, but I'd guess I'm wrong on that so, HOLY MOLY his hitboxes will dominate.
Yes, they made him fit with Brawl's art style

Nguz95

Smash Lord
They seem to like Roy more unfortunately... Oh well. It also seems that they aren't very used to him yet. That's understandable, he's a pretty unique character.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
SO hype for Demo 3. Am willing to wait for a Mewtwo as strong, fast, and heavy as, well, Mewtwo.

Back in the day I never really used Mewtwo, was much too unwieldy. But I was as indignant as anyone when I learned of Brawl’s exclusion. Brawl really drained my love of Smash (until I learned of Pro:M), but whenever we popped in Melee to try to rekindle teh ph1r3 I’d make it a point to play a few rounds as Mewtwo, and I found some things to really enjoy in the playstyle.

The model and animations are gorgeous. I hate the trophy/Battle Revolution design, so I’m glad you went with a more classic feel, but with some fresh revision. That fair effect looks sick as sieves, and the fthrow is honestly cooler than Melee’s. And the production quality on the reveal, the suspense in that intro, the demonstrations of prowess both new and old, the intense camerawork, the integration of phenomenal music, it’s all too much for a genus-1 surface to handle. By the way, is there somewhere I can get wallpaper versions of the splashes from Roy and Mewtwo’s trailers?

Might I make a suggestion for an entrance? An oft-forgotten, but ever-present standby of Mewtwo’s learnset: Mist. Simple, stylish, neat, and effective; it corresponds nicely with the other Event 51 veterans’, and it’s something that’s empirically shown to make an impression
Lastly, if you ever feel the need for a new edge/dash attack, here's a little something that I find badass.

Thanks, PMBR, for making the game, and adding the characters, that everyone wanted. Almost as if you were… Psychic?

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Can't wait to pull off my first Up-B > Float backwards > Fair on someone's face to bait something out, and grab them for it.
It's going to be fun.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Back in the day I never really used Mewtwo, was much too unwieldy. But I was as indignant as anyone when I learned of Brawl’s exclusion. Brawl really drained my love of Smash (until I learned of Pro:M), but whenever we popped in Melee to try to rekindle teh ph1r3 I’d make it a point to play a few rounds as Mewtwo, and I found some things to really enjoy in the playstyle.

I got into mewtwo much the same way, I eventually ended up regretting how bad he was in melee, and tried to drown the feels in unhealthy doses of SDR when I finally figured out how to install it (mewtwo was the primary reason I even went through the effort), but the patch isn't getting any more updates so the mewtwo announcement couldn't have come at a better time.

I love that mewtwo was always a character that, regardless of matchup, almost always had the tools to out-maneuver/out-position the opponent with his teleport, wavedash, and space covering projectile, but the sad thing was he never had the ability to reliably capitalize on that, and never had any real way to try and force a reaction- pretty much everything was either too slow or too weak.

Of course, I enjoyed the challenge of having a character that absolutely must outplay the opponent for each success, but that's just the appeal of any low tier character, and always felt like I was gimping myself just by picking him. Now we will, hopefully, have a character with the same amazing positioning tools, and even more of them, and better ways to capitalize on the opponent's mistakes.

Can't wait to pull off my first Up-B > Float backwards > Fair on someone's face to bait something out, and grab them for it.
It's going to be fun.
No
no
MewTwo's too bad ass to have a float
he has a hover
float just sounds girly
geez show some respect

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well that's it. I need new pants.

Scratch that, my pants teleported away.

:150:

Well played, PMBR. I'm so hype right now.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
His moonwalk is alive and well (seen in the trailer during the Hover demo bit) although I'll have to look into that boost stuff.

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
I dunno how seriously this will be taken, but hearing Mewtwo's battle cry gave me an idea for an intro: He phases into existence in a fashion similar to his animation in HeartGold and SoulSilver, only he's hunched over like his sprite in Red and Blue. He then transitions into his stances from Silver and the original Red and Green while doing his cry from the games, before ending at his stance from Yellow, and going into his regular battle stance.

Also, assuming that you all will be incorporating his Japanese win quotes eventually, his "Why am I here? line (around fourteen seconds in) would be perfect for the new animation that you cooked up for him.

Just some thoughts.

Top Bottom