• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIRST NINTENDO DIRECT OF 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm getting the feeling that even though they're probably going to show Diddy, they're going to reveal a totally different newcomer.

Like..Chrom or Shulk or Mac or something. I can just taste it. Something weird is going on, and with all these different things potentially being discussed tomorrow (X, DKTF, potentially SMTxFE), it just seems too...predictable...
Honestly, I still think Lip (love, Lip... GET IT!!!), Palutena, and Shulk all definitely make a ton of sense.

Especially Shulk.

Little Mac would make sense too, since, you know, we might get a new Punch-Out!! game soon, and he's well... all but confirmed at this point. He is to Smash For right now what Zelda was to Melee and Diddy was to Brawl.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hm... If Dixie is tagged with Diddy as a combo character... it will be a newcomer.
I'd view it more as a ½ newcomer, or mostly just a reworked veteran. Diddy's still there, likely with the same moveset, and they still take the same roster spot, so it's not entirely a newcomer as far as I see it. Of course we'd have to see how the character would be treaten on the website to be able to conclude whether it'd count as a newcomer or not.

Last edited:

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
I hope they pull another "Hot-damn! Didn't see that happening" moment again.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This was posted in the rumors and leaks thread, it pertains to the direct so i will post it here. Thanks to @Hoots for finding this

I doubt the release date for 3ds version being first, but i've been wrong before.
I doubt this. 4chan has never been right with a Smash rumor... ever. They were literally wrong with everything involving Brawl.
I went to target on the 8th and saw them, can confirm that they are there. (I freaked out in the middle of the store and got stares but idc smash lol)
For how long they've been up, i am not sure, however. MK8 was the only other game with cards out i believe
Wow, that's hype, even if the games are forever and down away. Plus, Nintendo and especially Smash have a history of... well... delays! :facepalm: (which is actually good, because it means the 2 games will be better, and hopefully have more content, better loading times, less glitches and issues, and better balancing)
I hope they pull another "Hot-damn! Didn't see that happening" moment again.
So... Shulk=???

But if they really want a reaction, Lip is the way to go.

Last edited:

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Yeah, I don´t think Diddy + Dixie is real. We already have a lot of "pair" chars, they are starting to stop being unique.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
and the hype train keeps on goooing "full speed ahead boys!!! not stoppin until we get a newcomer trailer station!!\

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Yeah, I don´t think Diddy + Dixie is real. We already have a lot of "pair" chars, they are starting to stop being unique.
AFAIK there are only 3 "pair" characters: Ice Climbers, Pikmin & Olimar and Rosalina & Luma but I do agree that any more of these types of characters would hurt the uniqueness of the whole concept.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
10pm....Serious?
Why what they showing...Platinum's Bayonetta will be in Mono's XXX And a Uncut Developer Vid of Sakurai tellings us what he really thinks of us fans that bug him day by day on character requests ofc it will all be in japaenese so no Censoring/*Bleep*

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'd view it more as a ½ newcomer, or mostly just a reworked veteran. Diddy's still there, likely with the same moveset, and they still take the same roster spot, so it's not entirely a newcomer as far as I see it. Of course we'd have to see how the character would be treaten on the website to be able to conclude whether it'd count as a newcomer or not.
Well, people were saying Yoshi + Mario would be a newcomer, then Diddy + Dixie would be a newcomer as well. Also, if the Diddy/Dixie mechanic is like Zelda/Sheik's, then she can be perfectly playable solo, so IMO she counts as a newcomer just fine, in this scenario of course. I do get your point, though. Anyway, we are assuming she will be a tagged character with Diddy, when Nintendo could just reveal both of them together in a video. After all, they are related in DKC games.
No, we really don't. And no one said they are supposed to be unique.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
No, we really don't. And no one said they are supposed to be unique.
Sakurai did. The primary thing Sakurai looks for in characters is if they can do something no one else on the roster can, he has said that multiple times. If Diddy/Dixie happens, it won't be like with ICs and Zelda/Sheik. Perhaps it'd be like a tagging mechanic which is instant and can be done in air, much like Marvel vs Capcom it'd allow to make some crazy combos.

Reila

Sakurai did. The primary thing Sakurai looks for in characters is if they can do something no one else on the roster can, he has said that multiple times. If Diddy/Dixie happens, it won't be like with ICs and Zelda/Sheik. Perhaps it'd be like a tagging mechanic which is instant and can be done in air, much like Marvel vs Capcom it'd allow to make some crazy combos.
Yeah, that is why we have Fox, Falco and Wolf in the same game, right... I mean, I understand wanting characters to be unique, but that's only working in theory. In practice, some of them are very similar to others, to the point a lot of people love to call them "clones". So... I don't think one more paired character would be a big deal, especially if their tagging mechanic isn't like Zelda/Sheik or Ice Climber's, like you're suggesting. And if that is the case, then I am really curious about their mechanic.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
It's probably for certain it's a DK Rep? I guess Sakurai could pull a.... well a Sakurai, for lack of a better term, and reveal someone completely different.

Reila

It's probably for certain it's a DK Rep? I guess Sakurai could pull a.... well a Sakurai, for lack of a better term, and reveal someone completely different.
It is not certain. For what is worth, Sakurai could reveal even Ridley today, should be allowed want to do that.

Please reveal Ridley, Sakurai ;_;

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, that is why we have Fox, Falco and Wolf in the same game, right... I mean, I understand wanting characters to be unique, but that's only working in theory. In practice, some of them are very similar to others, to the point a lot of people love to call them "clones". So... I don't think one more paired character would be a big deal, especially if their tagging mechanic isn't like Zelda/Sheik or Ice Climber's, like you're suggesting. And if that is the case, then I am really curious about their mechanic.
The clones are last minute additions, characters that aren't used to hype the game up, and we're currently in the hype-phase. Plus, Sakurai is making a huge deal out of the uniqueness factor this time around, more so than in the past. But yeah, I don't think having multiple duo characters is a problem either, as long as they can be done differently I'm fine with it.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Do you know what, this is going to be difficult to call for who will be unveiled today. It could either be Didfy anf Dixie combo to coincide the release of tropical freeze or Palutena.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
AFAIK there are only 3 "pair" characters: Ice Climbers, Pikmin & Olimar and Rosalina & Luma but I do agree that any more of these types of characters would hurt the uniqueness of the whole concept.
We have Zelda too and Zero Suit Samus.

That Marvel vs Capcom ideia is neat, but I prefer solo chars.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I wouldn't mind if Diddy + Dixie were revealed as a combo, but I'd much rather have them separate. And even still I'd rather have K. Rool over Dixie.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I don't see why we couldn't get both Diddy and Dixie today as separate characters. I mean, we haven't gotten multiple reveals on one day since E3, but just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it never will, especially with release creeping ever closer.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What are you gonna do while you wait? I'lll try to keep my hype from flowing over I'll play something slow like Harvest Moon.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Ah we have a nintendo direct today, I'm spending the entire day with my girlfriend tomorrow. Things cannot possibly get any better.

Staarih

Smash Master
What are you gonna do while you wait? I'lll try to keep my hype from flowing over I'll play something slow like Harvest Moon.
I just came home from work so during that time I didn't really even think about the Direct, but now that I'm home again the wait is going to be horrible! I have to wake up early tomorrow and the Direct starts at midnight here where I live (Finland, if I counted it right with the time zones and stuff haha), but I do think I will stay up until that, I just can't let it pass. What am I going to do while I wait? No idea really.

Anyway, seeing as they didn't reveal the "inevitable" Diddy today via the PotD, I'm thinking he will be shown in the Direct. But instead of being a boring veteran reveal I hope there's something new to it as well. And by the looks of it, with the whole Valentines Day thing and that, I'm sensing Dixie. Whether they're separate characters or tag-along characters, I don't really mind. Apparently I'm very accepting of things, as a while ago I didn't like the Diddy/Dixie idea, but now it's growing on me. Diddy would basically stay the same, but just get a new twist with Dixie on his side, if that were to happen.
...but secretly I hope for something completely different, nothing DK-related, to be revealed!

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
The direct gonna be 8 p.m. here (Brazil) and now I am at work....this gonna be a long day.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Donkey Kong and Metroid are both franchises adopted by Retro Studios. Ridley-Dixie tag team character confirmed.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Diddy + Dixie tag team will be revealed fighting on Gangplank Galleon when, wait for it...

Ridley appears as a stage hazard!? Conversely, King K. Rool is a Pyrosphere stage hazard. Sakurai says in the Direct that he was impressed with PSASBR's cross-franchise stage design and uses Hades as an example for why Ridley and K. Rool couldn't be playable. Crowd goes nuts.

Reila

I feel so conflicted. I want Dixie and I also want K. Rool, but at the same time I want a new Metroid announcement + Ridley so badly.

D

Deleted member

If we get a Diddy and Dixie Tag Team, I would be all sorts of disappointed.

Oh geez… the suspense is killing me right now!

kylexv

Smash Master
A hint to Rosalina's reveal on the 18th of December (a bit to deep):

Daily Pic December 18th.jpg

We know by the mario and zelda characters that a mario or zelda character could be revealed. They are trying to kill toad, so toad is out. I think sakurai was hinting rosalina's reveal by secretly saying that we are getting a mario newcomer that is not toad.

Let's try anlyzing the other pic...

Staarih

Smash Master
I feel so conflicted. I want Dixie and I also want K. Rool, but at the same time I want a new Metroid announcement + Ridley so badly.
Maybe we'll get them all at once! Now that would be a first haha.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
We know by the mario and zelda characters that a mario or zelda character could be revealed. They are trying to kill toad, so toad is out. I think sakurai was hinting rosalina's reveal by secretly saying that we are getting a mario newcomer that is not toad.

Let's try anlyzing the other pic...
No.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Diddy Kong gets confirmed to be playable in Smash 4 during the topic on Tropical Freeze. When the Nintendo Direct is nearing its conclusion, a newcomer reveal and trailer will be shown. That's how I think this should work out.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Diddy Kong gets confirmed to be playable in Smash 4 during the topic on Tropical Freeze. When the Nintendo Direct is nearing its conclusion, a newcomer reveal and trailer will be shown. That's how I think this should work out.
I completely agree! This would be fantastic.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
That would be ideal but have they done this with any other game before in a Direct (shown information about a game in a Direct before returning to reveal more information about said game later on in the same Direct)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom