• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire - Should I break the habit?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Though I've cut back, I use Bowser's flame quite a bit. It's a great move to slow the enemy down, and arial fire is fun to use against projectile spammers. Not to mention it's a useful edgeguard againt those trying to make a vertical recovery back to the stage. Am I doing it okay, what else should I know, and what do I need to quit? (I'd give vids if I had the equipment.)

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Firebreath is an incredible move, that accumulates damage at an incredible pace. It's real good.

As said above, unless you're being terribly predictable with it, and thus being punished, why would you stop?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Firebreath is an incredible move, that accumulates damage at an incredible pace. It's real good.

As said above, unless you're being terribly predictable with it, and thus being punished, why would you stop?
Because I never see top Bowser people use it much, so I figured maybe there are better uses of my energy

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Yeah..

The only match up where it's really bad is Marth, mostly cause he can Dolphin Slash straight out of it, hurting you in the process.

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
There was a thread here a while back that was stating how you could use the firebreath as an edge guarding mindgame. Try using that to mix things up if you have someone who constantly recovers from below. So they'll think you're gonna fully fire edgeguard them, then the fire stops because you only tapped the B once. They jump over you, and you have a free Ftilt, grab, klaw, dsmash, etc. :D

And as others said, why stop? It's a great damage builder and usually stops people in their tracks, forcing them to retreat.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Friebreath is great but you can SDI out realy fast with most characters and some like lucario can get out into a dair on you for much pain and yeah marth can just hit you through it.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Why would Firebreath be bad. It stops nearly all approaches and forces them to either retreat or go trough it and take lots of damage. It's win-win.

Bufu_Man

Smash Ace
ive been using bowser for months and a lot of chars can actually DI towards u and realy mess u up. one of the dangerous ones being DK he can DI towards u while in firebreath and get out a ForwardB which we all knows what that leads too. Marth like others said can Dolphin slash, Mario can get off an UpB. Im sure theres more but cant think of em.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
Most characters who have aerials with quick startups can DI into you and hit you with one. Luigi can sweetspot his upb if he DIs into you, Jigglypuff can probably DI into you and Rest. An opposing Bowser can probably DI into you and fortress :)

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Most characters who have aerials with quick startups can DI into you and hit you with one. Luigi can sweetspot his upb if he DIs into you, Jigglypuff can probably DI into you and Rest. An opposing Bowser can probably DI into you and fortress :)
No, Bowser is too big and therefore owned by aiming the fire down.

However, he can still di behind you after he takes a good... 50-70%.

^ To the gy above you, DK can not side B. Takes to long to execute.

However, he could DI behind you as with Bowser and punish you even harder.

ALSO: Aiming fire down > a lot of people.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Yeah..

The only match up where it's really bad is Marth, mostly cause he can Dolphin Slash straight out of it, hurting you in the process.
Even then, you can use it against Marth, but stop early, so as he's DIing up the fire stream, he'll often dolphin slash too soon, miss you and land helplessly as you punish.

ive been using bowser for months and a lot of chars can actually DI towards u and realy mess u up. one of the dangerous ones being DK he can DI towards u while in firebreath and get out a ForwardB which we all knows what that leads too. Marth like others said can Dolphin slash, Mario can get off an UpB. Im sure theres more but cant think of em.
But is it worth it for them?

DIing up the fire stream is a great way to have 50 to even 70% damage added to them. Is that worth it to hit Bowser just once?

If it's the last stock and you're over 100%, sure, but otherwise, they're paying a hefty price for a small victory.

Also, if you aim the fire straight down and they're trying to DI through you on the ground, Bowser will slowly be pushed backwards while continuing to burn them, meaning they now must reluctantly push back the other way out of your stream.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Fire Breath is pretty awesome. Back before I knew how to DI, I remember getting trapped until I had around 60 damage. Now I can sometimes get out of it before I hit 20 from up close (grab range).

I'm not a great Bowser, but I'm trying to get better with him, so he could be a possible secondary because I like him. But as far as I know, as long as you don't Fire Breath the wrong direction, or too far away, it's hard to punish. It was also a key move in my battle against my friend who mains Shiek....end of the game I had 1 stock left with 140+% damage on Final Destination lol

Last stock was epic. He got me in the AAA combo and tacked on a good amount, then proceeded to f-tilt me repeatedly. I managed to DI out and land my two A jabs. Then he ran to do a dash attack but I got him with f-tilt. When he was coming back I grabbed, d-throw, and used Fire Breath on him and did around 30 damage. I managed to hit him with both hits of a semi-charged f-smash when he was recovering (he did up+B a little too far above the edge). That almost KOed him vertically but didn't, and he tried to d-air down to hit me when he saw me jump, but my u-air hit him the same time he hit me, and he died.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
If they want to DI toward you they'll probably take a huge load of damage. You could always shield+dodge really fast, then use your A jabs as the fire breath is ending. I think it's also possible to grab them if you're quick enough. I've seen CPUs do it.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Truth ^

I've been hit by Zelda's Fair sweetspot too many times out of it. If I let go of B, there's a horrible amount of time before I can do anything, and if I keep holding B I'll just get punished anyway.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
It depends on various things. You can aim the fire up if they attempt to di up as well, getting mroe damage in on them. The chances of a sweet spot are lesser, from my experience.

If they DI towards you, aim it down. This gets in a lot of extra percent, plus it can screw with their plans.

But there is no "safe" option. It's rather, "What can I do to minimize punishment?"

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Hmmm...I figured if CPUs could do it, some people could to lol

I guess not XD
The CPU did this to you? Hmm...

If they DI towards you, aim it down. This gets in a lot of extra percent, plus it can screw with their plans.
If they're on the ground trying to DI through you, aiming straight down will cause Bowser to slide backwards as they push into you, keeping them in it for as long as Bowser stays on the platform or until they push back the other way.

But yeah, if you're at a percent where you fear punishment will result in a KO, you shouldn't be using firebreath to start with.

Top Bottom