• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
Counter is relatively useless, your Snipers shouldn't be getting attacked at 1-range if you're doing it right.
For story, maybe. Though otherwise I know otherwise Counter isn't fun to deal with on streetpass. Double Bow Snipers with Counter and other appropiate stats/setups.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Well, he mentioned specifically that he was looking at fun/DLC, so I assessed it on that basis. Besides, if you really want to troll people, you should probably have some combination of Miracle, Vantage, Lethality, Counter, Sol/Luna, Pavise, <annoying defensive skills>.

As for the Sol vs. Lifetaker question that got asked that I missed because it got edited in:

Both have their pros and cons, as you noted.

Sol activates on both phases, and can potentially out-heal Lifetaker depending on how many times you proc it. Sol does have some limitations, in that it is dependent on your damage. If you aren't dealing much damage, you're not going to heal much, of course. This is also a big problem on the 'Death's Embrace' DLC map, where most of the enemies have 1-HP due to the map gimmick, so Sol won't help you there.

Lifetaker is consistent at 50%, but it's player-phase only. Sometimes more helpful, sometimes not. Lifetaker's main advantage (IMO) is that it doesn't conflict with proc priority.

Proc Priority, if you're unaware, is the system by which FE:A decides which of your combat skills activates, if any. If you have multiple, you can only activate one per attack. The system gives priority to skills with the lowest proc chance, so it 'rolls' those first. The order is:

Lethality > Aether > Astra > Sol > Luna > Ignis > Vengeance

So if you have both Lethality and Sol, and Lethality procs, then you won't get Sol. It's not really a problem to have 2 proc skills, as that typically assures you'll get at least one of them, but 3 proc skills is definitely overkill, and you need to consider proc priority when choosing which ones.

That's pretty much my main gripe with Sol. If I'm using it, that means that I'm likely to get Sol when I might have wanted Luna, and Sol + Vengeance is just counter-intuitive altogether.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Speaking of the Death's Embrace DLC how did you beat that cause I'm attempting to beat it right now?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Lifetaker, Catharis staves, Fortify Staves, and my Blitzkrieg Inigo/Noire pairing.

I basically just bum-rushed the boss in an attempt to kill him as fast as possible, using double Galeforce procs to leapfrog through the spiked area.

Dual Guard+ really helps on that chapter because you want to try to AVOID damage as much as possible, rather than trying to sustain though it (with Sol, as you might try otherwise).

Last edited:

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
What Raziek said. At the time I had grinded all my units to all capped stats with limit breaker (for Apotheosis) and I just stormed the map with double galeforce pairings. Vantage and vengeance are extremely helpful on the map, as I've been told anyway. I could imagine that they are.

Also snipers are not that good in this game anyway. They are nowhere near as good as they were in Radiant dawn (Don't know about snipers in previous games) because they have nothing to defend their selves with at close range. Double bow is also not broken as it was in that game. They're OK with double galeforce pairing as you can have the sniper's partner take all the attacks. The only thing I can think that they are good for is Apotheosis. They great for that if you're doing the rescue method. If you do it right none of your units should get aggro'd if you don't want them to.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
So I started recruiting the kids today. Oh man, I feel like such a sap, but the family love has made me tear up a few times. I straight out cried when Lucina joined a while back, though. Not even gonna lie. It was a beautiful moment.

It really helps that they have some fantastic voice actors for the dub. I think about Ike's games, and how terrible everyone's voices were (except for Greil and Ike, really)... I'm thankful they went the extra mile to find VAs who were unique and who gave effort. It really makes these emotional family moments in Awakening ten times more impactful.

Now I've said all this, and I'm going to go recruit Noire, next... I've heard Tharja treats her terribly, and that's going to be a real downer.

Kjelle will be the last one I get, probably, except Nah. I decided to pass Kjelle Axefaire and Aegis instead of Sol and Luna, and I'm going to have to give Paragon to both parents or grind EXPonential Growth until I fall asleep out of boredom.

I say Nah will be last because I've yet to bother pairing Nowi and Kellam together. Kellam and Nowi both started off so weak that I never used them. It's coincidence that they both were left unpaired, since I just didn't care for either of them. Serendipitously, they work well together. I saved some Seeds of Trust for when I finally want to get Nah. I guess I'll pass Pavis to Nah and call it a day.

The rabbit race will sadly die out.

And then, it's off to DLC land, starting with the Scramble chapters, for some lighthearted fun.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
That's because they used ACTUAL VAs. Based Laura Bailey.

Most of Tharja's mistreatment of Noire is.... implied, so to speak. She's not nearly as harsh/cruel as you'd think in their supports.

Kellam!Nah isn't bad (ridiculous defense), but there tend to be some better options. Who else is unpaired?

And why aren't you recruiting poor Yarne? D:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
That's because they used ACTUAL VAs. Based Laura Bailey.

Most of Tharja's mistreatment of Noire is.... implied, so to speak. She's not nearly as harsh/cruel as you'd think in their supports.

Kellam!Nah isn't bad (ridiculous defense), but there tend to be some better options. Who else is unpaired?

And why aren't you recruiting poor Yarne? D:
I don't recall all of Nowi's supports off the top of my head, but I also have Stahl unpaired. I kinda like Stahl, but once he became a lvl 20 Cavalier, I just couldn't figure out what the heck to do with him. So... He ended up staying a lvl 20 Cavalier. I feel bad for that on some level. Frederick is also free. His raw stats are so pathetic; I tried raising him but he'd get massacred.

He doesn't respect the power of the bunny.
I really don't. Bunny girl is a terrible character, even with decent stats. Her son doesn't Galeforce. My army is already beyond bloated. Bunny Jr. would have to be a fantastic character for me to bother raising up yet another pair of parents AND their progeny.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Stahl goes well with Cherche in my experience and I made Stahl a Paladin for that Aegis so Gerome can get it.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Stahl goes well with Cherche in my experience and I made Stahl a Paladin for that Aegis so Gerome can get it.
Cherche passes Berserker by herself, so I went with Gregor and Bowbreaker. Seems like, regardless of skills and stats, whomever Gregor marries results in a great courtship. Cherche seems like she was made for Gregor, as far as the story goes.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
Cherche doesn't pass Berserker herself, actually. Gerome has Fighter at base, not Barbarian. He got Barbarian because of Gregor. I don't see why you didn't pair Stahl, considering he is one of the best fathers in the game due to passing on both the Myrmidon and Cavalier trees.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Cherche doesn't pass Berserker herself, actually. Gerome has Fighter at base, not Barbarian. He got Barbarian because of Gregor. I don't see why you didn't pair Stahl, considering he is one of the best fathers in the game due to passing on both the Myrmidon and Cavalier trees.
You know, you're right. I was going off of memory, since I was on a long car trip. Cherche does pass Fighter, not Barbarian. Be that as it may, Bowbreaker still felt like the best skill for me, since: A) Didn't want to put Gerome through the awkward Bow Knight class, and B) Whether I settle on Berserker or Wyvern Lord, both classes easily transition from one another, so it's not a big deal to pass him Axefaire, besides making him more powerful right away, and C) I prefer the utility of bum rushing Archers. I limit my number of flying units due to them having such an easily exploitable weakness, so a flying unit who dodges arrows all day is valuable to me. By comparison, you don't see many Hammers or Beast Killers, etc.

Dang, and Gerome looks amazing. He looks like the long-lost family member from The Incredibles.

One other quick thing about the kiddies: Owain is hilarious. He makes me laugh out loud, seriously. I think he's gonna marry Cynthia, since she's pretty close to loony, herself. They can be crazy together. Gotta love that dual Galeforce that @ Raziek Raziek told me about, too.

Last edited:

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
I'd say VaikexCherche is better. Gerome still gets Berserker, but better Strength, though this is partially because I feel Gregor is better for Laurent, since he gives Armsthrift and Vantage.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I hate Laurent, so I have no qualms shafting him and sticking him with leftovers.

Ricken!Owain or <insertMage>!Owain and Henry!Brady are my main mages, so I don't really need him.

As for Vaike vs. Gregor:

Vaike:
Barbarian
Thief

Str +7
Mag -1
Skl +1
Spd +1
Lck +0
Def +3
Res -3

Gregor:
Myrmidon
Mercenary
Barbarian

Str +6
Mag +0
Skl +2
Spd +0
Lck +0
Def +4
Res -3

Comparing the two:

Str: Vaike (7) > Gregor (6)
Mag: Doesn't matter, but Gregor wins with 0 > -1
Skill: Gregor (2) > Vaike (1)
Speed: Vaike (1) > Gregor (0)
Luck: Tie. (0)
Defense: Gregor (4) > Vaike (3)
Res: Tie. (-3)

Vaike has a 1 point lead in both Strength & Speed, with Gregor having leads in Defense & Skill.

Pretty much negligible. And Gregor has a much better class set.

Thief is pretty much strictly worse than Myrmidon, because Trickster is a **** class and the abilities are meh. Both give Barbarian, and Gregor also gives Mercenary on top of that.

I would also much rather use Vaike for Vaike!Nah, because Gaius/Donny/Gregor are all taken, and Vaike gives her Knight/Merc, which is swell.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
I suppose if you don't care for Laurent at all, then Gregor is fine for Gerome.

Henry for Brady? Does that mean you're pairing Chrom with Sumia? I prefer pairing him with Olivia to help out Inigo (though Libra is also really good for Inigo).

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I suppose if you don't care for Laurent at all, then Gregor is fine for Gerome.

Henry for Brady? Does that mean you're pairing Chrom with Sumia? I prefer pairing him with Olivia to help out Inigo (though Libra is also really good for Inigo).
I paired Chrom with Sumia, and Henry with Maribelle, too.

Henry and Maribelle are astoundingly good units. Maribelle maxed out her stats earlier than any of my other characters (except her defense and strength), and with +7 to magic on top of the Valkyrie stats... nothing can touch her. She practically OHKOs everything with just Fire, or Thunder. I had to stop using her because she was making it all too easy! The astounding thing is, I at first hated Maribelle due to her haughty nature and clingy attitude towards Lissa of all people... Henry, too, initially baffled me and put me off a bit. But the weird thing is... the longer I had Henry and Maribelle paired up, the funnier and more interesting they seemed to become. Their dominant personalities would probably clash hard in real life, but in this game, it's almost like a contest for who can be the most BA. They're both such over-the-top people! Once Maribelle starts sweetening up to Henry, though, she tones down a bit.

Sumia x Chrom was just done because people on the internet suggested I do it. I liked Sumia at first (she has the same VA as Estelle from Tales of Vesperia), but later she started doing the flower petal thing, and the clutz + superstitious combination really put me off. But it was too late. Cynthia makes a nice foil for Lucina, though, even though she is a total idiot. She's an adorable idiot. And she really does love her family, so she's endearing.

I haven't read the full support logs. I wonder if Lucina gets special scenes with all of her potential siblings, or just Cynthia? I wonder if the devs were pushing Chrom x Sumia...

I did MaleMU x Olivia. I really didn't know what I was doing. Their support conversation is not that great. It's not nearly as shallow as any of Nowi's supports, though. I feel bad for putting Frederick through that. Even Nah feels bad for him! But yeah, I can see Olivia and Chrom going together a lot better, though I still think it's a bizarre pairing, story-wise.

Sully marrying Chrom just... come on, Chrom. You gotta have standards, man.

Maribelle x Chrom. I'm pretty sure Brady would be screwed out of being a fearsome magic unit, but story-wise... Maribelle would probably love it, since Chrom has that blue blood and dignity to spare. Plus, she'd get to be Lissa's sister. That's like, her dream come true. I mean, aside from being a legit princess. I need to read those logs to see if this is anywhere as interesting as I'm imagining it.

EDIT: O-oh... oh my. Brady doing the "flying bug" scene is absolutely horrible!

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
My personal set of pairs. Will provide explanation on any that people are wondering about.

I will, however, note that Sumia gets Frederick only because I need all of her other possible husbands for other pairs. (Gaius, Chrom, Henry) I really wish she didn't get locked to those 4 for no good reason.

This also leaves you free to use the avatar in any pairing you choose. I personally married Lucina in my last run.

Lissa - Ricken
Olivia - Chrom
Maribelle - Henry
Sully – Donnel
Sumia - Frederick
Cordelia - Stahl
Cherche - Gregor
Panne – Lon'Qu
Miriel - Kellam, I guess?
Tharja - Gaius
Nowi – Vaike

Last edited:

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
Why not have Maribelle marry Libra? Brady still gets Dark Mage, along with the same Magic cap, and it frees up Henry for Sumia, which is better for Cynthia than Frederick. Also curious as to why you paired Panne with Lon'qu (though you already said you don't care for Laurent and you have Stahl as Severa's dad).

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Why not have Maribelle marry Libra? Brady still gets Dark Mage, along with the same Magic cap, and it frees up Henry for Sumia, which is better for Cynthia than Frederick.
I suppose there's no reason I couldn't.

I don't particularly care for Cynthia either, so I just decided to optimize my more prioritized units and stuck her with whatever I had left. You're right that I could do this and achieve essentially the same results.... but then Brady wouldn't have white hair. :(

Also curious as to why you paired Panne with Lon'qu (though you already said you don't care for Laurent and you have Stahl as Severa's dad).
Lon'Qu with Panne is designed solely to maximize stats for a supportZerker Yarne build. Mainly his speed.

Stahl with Cordelia so that Severa can get Luna + Myrm.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
I suppose there's no reason I couldn't.

I don't particularly care for Cynthia either, so I just decided to optimize my more prioritized units and stuck her with whatever I had left. You're right that I could do this and achieve essentially the same results.... but then Brady wouldn't have white hair. :(
Fair enough. As for the Severa comment, I was pretty aware of the reason behind Stahl!Severa. I was just pointing out that, while I questioned Lon'qu!Yarne, there wasn't anyone better for Lon'qu to go to since you dislike Laurent and because you wanted Stahl for Severa.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
So, we have a Hector Hard Mode Draft underway, starring

@FireFly @ Raziek Raziek @ BarDulL BarDulL @ #HBC | Ryker #HBC | Ryker

Rules:

1. Everyone gets Hector and Merlinus
2. You are allowed to use any unit that is forced deployment. (Save for Athos/Nils in the final chapter)
3. You are allowed to deploy a unit you have not drafted in order to recruit a unit, but they must go in with an empty inventory and cannot retaliate in combat. (They may meatshield)
4. No boss abuse.
5. No arena abuse.
6. Lyn's mode is to be completed prior to HHM.

Draft order:
Ryker
Raz
Firefly
Bardull

Final Teams:

Ryker:

Matthew (Wind)
Florina (Light)
Heath (Thunder)
Canas (Anima)
Eliwood (Anima)
Fiora (Wind)
Farina (Anima)
Wallace (Thunder)
Isadora (Dark)
Renault (Anima)
Karla (Dark)

Raziek:
Serra (Thunder)
Sain (Wind)
Pent (Anima)
Legault (Ice)
Kent (Anima)
Harken (Fire)
Rebecca (Fire)
Geitz (Thunder)
Louise (Light)
Rath (Dark)

Firefly:
Priscilla
Raven
Lucius
Lowen
Dart
Dorcas
Wil
Jaffar
Vaida
Nino

Bardull:
Ninian/Nils (Ice)
Oswin (Anima)
Marcus (Ice)
Erk (Thunder)
Guy (Fire)
Lyn (Wind)
Hawkeye (Wind)
Bartre (Thunder)
Athos (Anima)
Karel

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Lyn complete:

Kent (lvl 14)
30 HP (-1.05)
13 str (+1.8)
12 skill (-0.5)
14 speed (+1.15)
5 luck (+0.4)
9 def (+0.75)
2 res (-2.25)

Sain (lvl 12)
28 HP (-0.2)
13 str (-1.6)
9 skill (+1.15)
9 speed (-1.4)
9 luck (+1.15)
8 def (-0.2)
3 res (+0.8)

Serra (lvl 4)
24 HP (Robed, so -1.5)
5 magic (+1.5)
6 skill (+0.1)
9 speed (-0.2)
6 luck (-1.8)
5 def (+2.55)
7 res (+0.35)

Rath (lvl 9)
27 hp (+0.4)
11 strength (Ring, so +0)
10 skill (+0.2)
10 speed (-1)
5 luck (-0.6)
7 def (-0.2)
2 res (-0.5)

Last edited:
So, we have a Hector Hard Mode Draft underway, starring
1. Everyone gets Hector and Merlinus
2. You are allowed to use any unit that is forced deployment. (Save for Athos/Nils in the final chapter)
3. You are allowed to deploy a unit you have not drafted in order to recruit a unit, but they must go in with an empty inventory and cannot retaliate in combat. (They may meatshield)
4. No boss abuse.
5. No arena abuse.
6. Lyn's mode is to be completed prior to HHM.

Draft order:
Ryker
Raz
Firefly
Bardull

Final Teams:

Ryker:

Matthew (Wind)
Florina (Light)
Heath (Thunder)
Canas (Anima)
Eliwood (Anima)
Fiora (Wind)
Farina (Anima)
Wallace (Thunder)
Isadora (Dark)
Renault (Anima)
Karla (Dark)

Raziek:
Serra (Thunder)
Sain (Wind)
Pent (Anima)
Legault (Ice)
Kent (Anima)
Harken (Fire)
Rebecca (Fire)
Geitz (Thunder)
Louise (Light)
Rath (Dark)

Firefly:
Priscilla
Raven
Lucius
Lowen
Dart
Dorcas
Wil
Jaffar
Vaida
Nino

Bardull:
Ninian/Nils (Ice)
Oswin (Anima)
Marcus (Ice)
Erk (Thunder)
Guy (Fire)
Lyn (Wind)
Hawkeye (Wind)
Bartre (Thunder)
Athos (Anima)
Karel
HOW DID I MISS THIS!!!!

Are these final teams in order of how they were picked? If so, how the hell did Ryker get Wallace before Isadora? I know the guy likes Moulder the Boulder, but Wallace is not the boulder!

Anyway, my predictions.
I think Ryker has a good spread of characters. If I recall my first ever HHM run, I basically solo'd much of the end game with the Pegasus trio. Plus, HOW DID HE GET ALL OF THE GOOD FLIERS WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE THINKING! Either with forced deployment you can get through chapter 13 with no one really. I think chapter 14/15 might be a bit of in issue. On second thought, plop your lv20 hector on a throne in chapter 15 and you are good to go. Similar with chapter 14. Hope your hector turns out good until you get to chapter 16 lol Plus, only a single healer with no staff usage experience might be a bit of an issue.

Raziek seems in good shape. Harken is a great end game unit. Plus, you got Sain/Kent for lots of utility for mid to end game. Plus, healer is always good insurance. Pent and Legault to boot.

Firefly. Yes you got the good mage. Lucius. Once he promotes instant stave usage and can actually kill stuff by mag/spd. Seems like you got some of the second tier units in some categories compared to the OP units.

Bardull. This guy got Marcus, Athos, NilsNinian, and Hawkeye? Lol You do not need to train anyone else. Just beat the game as is lol

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
You missed it because it was a private draft started in the Decisive Games social call, which 3 of us are regulars in (Ryker, Myself, Bardull). We then grabbed Firefly because we love him (and I know him IRL).

This is the final teams in the order drafted, yes. Ryker got Wallace before Isadora because nobody really wanted her, lol.

Normally I draft Florina/Heath super early, but Ryker decided to be an ass and draft both of them after I drafted Sain. ;_;

After that I was like, 'Ok, better grab my utility Thief and Pent, so I'm near-guaranteed to get through mid-game', then Kent/Harken on my next time and then dude drafted both of the other fliers just to be a jerk. ;_;

I'm salty because of no fliers, but it forced me out of my typical drafting comfort zone, so whatever, I guess.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
"You guys want to hear Raz shout in pain? Heath-Florina."
I'm torn between wanting to like this because it was funny, and wanting to rip your throat out to satisfy the searing white core of hate you have awoken within me.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Speaking of the Death's Embrace DLC how did you beat that cause I'm attempting to beat it right now?
I never saw these forums before lol.

Death's Embrace will require vantage and lifetaker, catharsis/Physic. You want your strongest unit without lifetaker to wreck havoc in the small tiles and lure the other baddies into your spawning point so you can take them out with ease. Or you can advance with vantage character with high evade like Lon'qu armed with Amatsu. Lethality isn't a must but a would enjoy. You can charge on with your units (Oh, and pair up to lessen the chance of getting hit)

BarDulL

Town Vampire
everything is going well; chapter 17**. a lot of my forced deployment units got massacred but it was for the greater good, RIP.

no one is spectacular really, i'm just more impressed by the fact that i was really able to level up my bartre which NEVER happens for me, but it needed to be done cause i can't have him being utterly useless. i've spread out exp fairly well but i could have done it better. had my fair share of resets but i've gone through 4 chapters with no resets from ch. 14 onward. gonna focus on leveling up guy a bit so he isn't a straggler in the next couple of chapters.

Last edited:

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I'm pretty happy with my team, though I'm pretty salty that Razzy grabbed Rebecca right before I was going to take her in as my 6th pick. I got the Priscilla/Raven/Lucius support triangle, and I was hoping to grab Rebecca to support Lowen and Dart, while giving me more to work with for the first few chapters of HHM. I wound up picking Dorcas instead. >.> At least I picked up Wil, who supports Dart as well...

Last edited:
Top Bottom