• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
If I were to marry/pair up with anyone in the Fire Emblem universe, it would probably be Marissa from FE 8. I don't know honestly, I guess just from the vibe she gives off in fan fictions as well as in game.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Repsoting this from the Project M Social Thread.

My waifu tier list for FE: Awakening 1st generation characters that do not have only support conversations with the main character only goes as follows.

S: Tharja, Cordelia, Cherche,
A: Sumia, Olivia,
B: Mariebelle, Lissa, Sully
C: Panne, Nowi, Miriel

Hold dat Kappa

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Pffft this pales in comparison to dating simulators. Dating simulators have a key thing caused decisions to make and flags to trigger.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
But you gotta make the decision of whether you want the S support or not. There's also those "decisions" you have to make throughout the game.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Finished my first run of FE3 today. Figured I should post my units.

Doga is love, Doga is life.

Yes I used 5 Peg/Dragon Knights. Shut up.

Wow, I forgot when was the last time I played that game. Its weird how you can keep relatively the same mechanic between two different games and get it to work out completely differently. Comparing FE3 to FE5 they both implement the promotion of a class, but limit maximum stats to 20 each. Comparing the two together FE5 does a better job I believe in making sure the game stays difficult. With FE3 I think the game got easier as you got your units closer to 20 in stats since enemies didn't really scale with you.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Working my way through Awakening for the first time. I played on Normal, since I didn't know what to expect. I think it's a bit too easy, at times. Next time I play, I'll probably try Lunatic.

Just got all my characters married off, except for the monster girls. For whatever reason, I've never been a fan of the manaketes or the laguz (or whatever they're called in this game). I think the manakete in FE8 was pretty amazing, though. Well, anyway. So I have a few chapters left of the main game to beat, and then I'm going to finish grinding the parents to have the skills I want, so I can start completing the children's chapters and challenging the postgame and DLC chapters.

I think the WiFi Box teams you can summon to the main map are extremely helpful for grinding your characters, though. Fighting the zombie often sees you facing fairly weak opponents. With the zombies, you do get a few prize items, but the increased difficulty and exp of fighting units from other FE games is really helpful for grinding for skills.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
Lunatic is actually quite a bit harder than Hard (which is still pretty easy). Unless of course, you Avatar solo, in which it's also easy.

Well, its a strategy game. Once you know what tricks to use and stuff, then there is really nothing easy or hard about the game anymore. Its just execution after that point. Lunatic is incredibly restrictive of how you play though. The initial puzzle is coming up with what moves to make. But, I believe its better to go straight from hard to lunatic instead of normal to lunatic. Although, only because you said it would be your second time playing through the game.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Working my way through Awakening for the first time. I played on Normal, since I didn't know what to expect. I think it's a bit too easy, at times. Next time I play, I'll probably try Lunatic.

Just got all my characters married off, except for the monster girls. For whatever reason, I've never been a fan of the manaketes or the laguz (or whatever they're called in this game). I think the manakete in FE8 was pretty amazing, though. Well, anyway. So I have a few chapters left of the main game to beat, and then I'm going to finish grinding the parents to have the skills I want, so I can start completing the children's chapters and challenging the postgame and DLC chapters.

I think the WiFi Box teams you can summon to the main map are extremely helpful for grinding your characters, though. Fighting the zombie often sees you facing fairly weak opponents. With the zombies, you do get a few prize items, but the increased difficulty and exp of fighting units from other FE games is really helpful for grinding for skills.
Summon garnef from shadow dragon (not sure how his name is spelled)

You can buy more from him, it's the most rediculously high ranges weapon in the game

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I guess the deciding factor for me would be, do you gain any more experience in Lunatic, or is it the same or less than the experience you gain in hard? If it means faster levelling, but I have more of a chance of failing, I'd be okay with that. But if it's just the same level of experience and all I'm doing is making the game harder for the sake of it, then I don't see the point, really.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
lunatic is for those who like a harder game.

My problem is that your units are garbage early chapters and I don't like dealing with that.

Last edited:
I guess the deciding factor for me would be, do you gain any more experience in Lunatic, or is it the same or less than the experience you gain in hard? If it means faster levelling, but I have more of a chance of failing, I'd be okay with that. But if it's just the same level of experience and all I'm doing is making the game harder for the sake of it, then I don't see the point, really.
To me, Lunatic in this game is really counter intuitive compared to the other FE games I have played. Generally, you get more enemies, buffed enemies, and slight tweaks to how availability of items. This or different enemy deployment. Overall, there is not much restriction in say the characters you use. Everyone in FE7 HHM can be used and is often done with drafts too.

This game's lunatic is pretty much we will throw more enemies at you, but buff the hell out of them. Enemies are virtually impossible to clear on skirmish. Once you get a promoted unit via a master seal, then enemies in skirmish get promoted and are near max level with buffed weapons. So yeah, skirmishes are sort of hard to accomplish. Another thing is that enemies scale so quickly you must play with a reduced character limit in order to feed them enough exp to stay above the enemies levels. Despite saying this Lunatic can still be breezed through with stuff like abusing renown or DLC.

Lunatic+ is stupid.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
And that's why I decided I had no interest in Lunatic around Chapter 3.

Lunatic does not reward good tactical decisions, like FE7 HHM or Radiant Dawn Hard Mode, etc.

Lunatic is simply a puzzle with an RNG seed, where you must determine through trial and error where the correct spot to place Frederick is, on Turns 1 & 2.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'll probably just stick with Hard mode, then. Thanks for the honest opinions.

Last night I got some more DLC, including the EXP grinding map. It's been exciting to see more skills on my characters. I figured, since I'm doing a Normal playthrough, why not make the OP army I can? Should be fun for anyone I spotpass/streetpass, haha.

I'm bringing my copy of Awakening to Best Buy for the Smash demo. Hopefully at least one other person does so as well.

Last edited:

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Have I done an FE7 pick-my-team here? Last couple of posts made me want to do one with HHM.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
@ Aninymouse Aninymouse

The most fun challenge I had with awakening is no pair up/skirmish/2nd seal/DLC run on Hard mode.

This actually makes ideal parent pairings much different too.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'd like them to keep it, they just need to make it actually balanced, lol.

As of right now it's just a totally dominant strategy. That said, it also happens to conveniently encourage you to participate in waifusimulator side of the game, so that's not necessarily the worst thing.

They just need to balance it. Practically the only time you ever DON'T want to pair up is if you have an odd number of units, or need multiple healers.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I wonder how well FE would work in a closer real-time strategy setting?
I don't think I'd like that. Your units are few, they have names, and when they die, they die. RTS is kind of known for having disposable units governed by resources. It's not to say it couldn't be done one way or another, but I enjoy being able to take my time and think through each turn.

In other news, I'm almost done with the main story. I did a little grinding, and I made a neat discovery: as much as I dislike Tharja, she makes the best General. Tomebreaker, Pavise, Vengeance, maxed out speed and high HP/defenses means that she can take a hit or two and proceed to destroy pretty much any unit by herself. Eh, sure, you lose healing with Nosferatu, but healing goes against Vengeance, which activates nearly every hit.

Her husband, Gaius, is a Swordmaster with some Assassin skills. They are pretty much unstoppable, even in the moderate DLC chapters. I'm pretty sure Gaius can get Wrath, but... Vantage plus my other skills is just fine.

Can't wait to get Noire! Archers are my favorite class in FE (I know they kinda suck, but I love them anyway), and she is going to probably inherit Astra and Vengeance. I'll let her learn Vantage and Pavise on her own, maybe, before making her a Sniper again.

I think I'm going to grind for a few Paragon skills tomorrow. Some of my units have really high internal levels, and even the EXP DLC map takes forever to level them, now.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I don't think I'd like that. Your units are few, they have names, and when they die, they die. RTS is kind of known for having disposable units governed by resources. It's not to say it couldn't be done one way or another, but I enjoy being able to take my time and think through each turn.
1000 times this.
In other news, I'm almost done with the main story. I did a little grinding, and I made a neat discovery: as much as I dislike Tharja, she makes the best General. Tomebreaker, Pavise, Vengeance, maxed out speed and high HP/defenses means that she can take a hit or two and proceed to destroy pretty much any unit by herself. Eh, sure, you lose healing with Nosferatu, but healing goes against Vengeance, which activates nearly every hit.

Her husband, Gaius, is a Swordmaster with some Assassin skills. They are pretty much unstoppable, even in the moderate DLC chapters. I'm pretty sure Gaius can get Wrath, but... Vantage plus my other skills is just fine.

Can't wait to get Noire! Archers are my favorite class in FE (I know they kinda suck, but I love them anyway), and she is going to probably inherit Astra and Vengeance. I'll let her learn Vantage and Pavise on her own, maybe, before making her a Sniper again.

I think I'm going to grind for a few Paragon skills tomorrow. Some of my units have really high internal levels, and even the EXP DLC map takes forever to level them, now.
Best.... generation 1 general, I guess. The kids are objectively superior to the adults in every possible way thanks to inheritance of classes + stat cap mods.

Good job on the Tharja/Gaius pair, that's one I usually do as well. Pass her dat Pegasus Knight. Pass her a Fighter/Warrior skill from Gaius, though, she can't learn it otherwise. (HP+5, Zeal, Rally Strength or Counter, whichever you find more useful.) Tharja can pass whatever, her skill basically is just a time-saver for you.

None of the ones Gaius can pass are particularly useful, but in general, you want your parent of the opposite sex to be passing a gender-specific skill if they have one.

For guys, Axefaire & Wrath are the best two, by far.
For girls, Galeforce! If you have it, pass it. If for some reason you have it but don't want to pass it, pass Lancefaire. Otherwise, you're left with Troubadour/Valk skills, of which Dual Support+ is probably the most useful.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
1000 times this.

Best.... generation 1 general, I guess. The kids are objectively superior to the adults in every possible way thanks to inheritance of classes + stat cap mods.

Good job on the Tharja/Gaius pair, that's one I usually do as well. Pass her dat Pegasus Knight. Pass her a Fighter/Warrior skill from Gaius, though, she can't learn it otherwise. (HP+5, Zeal, Rally Strength or Counter, whichever you find more useful.) Tharja can pass whatever, her skill basically is just a time-saver for you.

None of the ones Gaius can pass are particularly useful, but in general, you want your parent of the opposite sex to be passing a gender-specific skill if they have one.

For guys, Axefaire & Wrath are the best two, by far.
For girls, Galeforce! If you have it, pass it. If for some reason you have it but don't want to pass it, pass Lancefaire. Otherwise, you're left with Troubadour/Valk skills, of which Dual Support+ is probably the most useful.
Yeah, I hear you on the gender-specific skill thing. I thought about it after my post, and I was like, y'know, Counter (from Warrior) seems like the perfect insurance plan for a souped-up Sniper. Some rogue unit comes around to directly attack your now-helpless death machine? Make him or her pay for it with an eye-for-an-eye blow to the face. But as you said, Wrath or HP+5 are both great, too. I just... I just really hate how many stinking classes I have to run through on a single character.

I know the second generation units are stronger, but I don't want to toss aside all my first generation units, either. It started out that I just wanted to pass the right skills on before I did the paralouges, but I started seeing units like Maribelle, Henry, Olivia, and Vaike becoming untouchable warriors in their own right... I just couldn't dump them. I had to make them the best they could be. And unfortunately, that sometimes means a ton of Second Seals, and next to zero EXP gain. Thus... my desire for Paragon scrolls. I know it's just going to be that much worse with the child units. I may as well grind for a whole stack of them. *le sigh*

And yeah, Galeforce really is just as amazing as people say it is. Once I started to get that skill on the mothers, wow, I was impressed. It's on a whole other level from the after-attack-movement from past FE mounted units.

The first marriage I did was Virion to Miriam, haha. I wasn't really thinking about skills and classes and stuff at the time. Miriam is so much weaker than Maribelle, and although Virion isn't bad, he's going to be nothing compared to Noire. So, I guess I don't care too much about how that one turns out.

The skill that passes down is the one in the center circle, correct? The last one on the list? I'm going to start recruiting the kids soon... Finally.

It's nice being able to talk about FE. I've always enjoyed the series, since it came out in America, but it's not big time popular.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
But as you said, Wrath or HP+5 are both great, too.
Gaius can't get Wrath, so that's not even an option to pass on. I personally think Sol and Counter are the best options to pass on from Gaius to Noire, since she can't get them otherwise if Gaius is her father.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Does Counter even work on Sniper classes? It would be cool if it did, since they're the class with the greatest incentive to be directly attacked; but since they can't counterattack, it makes me wonder if the skill would even activate. Sol sounds like a good pair for Luna, albeit it makes me a bit salty that I can't get her Aether, ha ha.

Galeforce
Luna Bowfaire
Sol
Astra
Vantage

Edit: I just remembered she can't get Luna ;_;
Edit 2: Nevermind, I'm a dumb ass, she does learn Luna after all. Oh man I must be dehydrated.

Seems good for Noir to me. Or maybe...

Galeforce
Counter (if it works)
Vantage
Vengeance
Pavise?

I guess it's hard to pass on Bowfaire, though...

What do you think? I'm not going to be fighting many/any streetpass teams, so all I really need her built for is fun and DLC missions.

I see a lot of people going for Assassin over Sniper. I do love the Sniper class, due to 3-tile attack ranges (and just loving bows in general). With Limit Breaker active, is there really that much of a difference? Are the swords really that great? Because I can build a Sniper with the same skills.

Edit 3: I like the reliability of Lifetaker, but Sol can activate on the enemy phase as well. Sol also activates regardless of whether you kill or not. But, Sol isn't guaranteed like Lifetaker is. Which do you prefer?

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Counter is relatively useless, your Snipers shouldn't be getting attacked at 1-range if you're doing it right. (Especially with Galeforce to retreat if needed) Vantage is also pretty useless on an archer since you're usually going to be attacked at 1-range if she's on point.

My Noire's setup (also has Gaius as her dad)

Noire <Sniper/Assassin> (Varies on if I need Double Bow usage)
Limit Breaker
Bowfaire
Luna
Galeforce
Dual Guard+

I use her as one half of a Blitzkrieg unit. The other half is her husband Chrom!Inigo.

Inigo <Hero>
Limit Breaker
Armsthrift
Luna
Galeforce
Aggressor

Inigo usually runs Ragnell if he's on point (he usually is), Brave Axe/Sword when he's in the back for Noire to take her Galeforce turn.

Probably my single most effective offensive team. Their closest competition is the WyvernLordKjelle w/ Berserker support Yarne or the SageRaziek w/ Dark Flier Lucina (wife) Double Celica's Gale combo. Both of those other pairs don't have double Galeforce, though.

Last edited:

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Yeah, I hear you on the gender-specific skill thing. I thought about it after my post, and I was like, y'know, Counter (from Warrior) seems like the perfect insurance plan for a souped-up Sniper. Some rogue unit comes around to directly attack your now-helpless death machine? Make him or her pay for it with an eye-for-an-eye blow to the face. But as you said, Wrath or HP+5 are both great, too. I just... I just really hate how many stinking classes I have to run through on a single character.

I know the second generation units are stronger, but I don't want to toss aside all my first generation units, either. It started out that I just wanted to pass the right skills on before I did the paralouges, but I started seeing units like Maribelle, Henry, Olivia, and Vaike becoming untouchable warriors in their own right... I just couldn't dump them. I had to make them the best they could be. And unfortunately, that sometimes means a ton of Second Seals, and next to zero EXP gain. Thus... my desire for Paragon scrolls. I know it's just going to be that much worse with the child units. I may as well grind for a whole stack of them. *le sigh*

And yeah, Galeforce really is just as amazing as people say it is. Once I started to get that skill on the mothers, wow, I was impressed. It's on a whole other level from the after-attack-movement from past FE mounted units.

The first marriage I did was Virion to Miriam, haha. I wasn't really thinking about skills and classes and stuff at the time. Miriam is so much weaker than Maribelle, and although Virion isn't bad, he's going to be nothing compared to Noire. So, I guess I don't care too much about how that one turns out.

The skill that passes down is the one in the center circle, correct? The last one on the list? I'm going to start recruiting the kids soon... Finally.

It's nice being able to talk about FE. I've always enjoyed the series, since it came out in America, but it's not big time popular.
Not sure if you ever got an answer, but the skill that passes on is the most recent skill you obtained at the time you first open the map. So bènoo open the map just to look around.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Counter is relatively useless, your Snipers shouldn't be getting attacked at 1-range if you're doing it right. (Especially with Galeforce to retreat if needed) Vantage is also pretty useless on an archer since you're usually going to be attacked at 1-range if she's on point.

My Noire's setup (also has Gaius as her dad)

Noire <Sniper/Assassin> (Varies on if I need Double Bow usage)
Limit Breaker
Bowfaire
Luna
Galeforce
Dual Guard+

I use her as one half of a Blitzkrieg unit. The other half is her husband Chrom!Inigo.

Inigo <Hero>
Limit Breaker
Armsthrift
Luna
Galeforce
Aggressor

Inigo usually runs Ragnell if he's on point (he usually is), Brave Axe/Sword when he's in the back for Noire to take her Galeforce turn.

Probably my single most effective offensive team. Their closest competition is the WyvernLordKjelle w/ Berserker support Yarne or the SageRaziek w/ Dark Flier Lucina (wife) Double Celica's Gale combo. Both of those other pairs don't have double Galeforce, though.
I love all of this. This was very helpful for getting my brain moving.

Since I've never tried it yet, if you pair up two Galeforce units, can you get three kills on the player phase by switching the lead character? Or are you still limited to two actions per phase, even with two different characters?

I did some checking on the three bow-related classes Noir gets. Sniper seems better than Assassin, but Bride seems better than both of them, stats-wise. The staves seem like a waste on a unit that's so offensive, but Bride seems like a better lance unit that a bow unit, since lances are so easy to get in variable ranges, and are accurate and powerful. Sniper gets the Double Bow, though, which is fantastic, since it basically comes with a built-in Bowfaire. And it has that beautiful 3-tile range, for zero possibility of counterattack against anyone but other Snipers.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I love all of this. This was very helpful for getting my brain moving.

Since I've never tried it yet, if you pair up two Galeforce units, can you get three kills on the player phase by switching the lead character? Or are you still limited to two actions per phase, even with two different characters?
No, you've got it right on your first guess.

Move, Kill, Galeforce activates. Move again, Switch, Kill, Galeforce activates. Move, (Switch if you want the other unit on point), (Kill if you're in range), turn ends.
I did some checking on the three bow-related classes Noir gets. Sniper seems better than Assassin, but Bride seems better than both of them. The staves seem like a waste on a unit that's so offensive, but Bride seems like a better lance unit that a bow unit, since lances are so easy to get in variable ranges, and are accurate and powerful. Sniper gets the Double Bow, though, which is fantastic, since it basically comes with a built-in Bowfaire.
Bride is a crappy combat class, tbh. It looks great, but its caps suck.

Of course, that depends on what you want to do with her. I don't use her on point ever, she just rotates in to take her Galeforce turn and then switches back to Inigo on point. If you're looking for flexibility, you're right in that Bride is the most flexible due to Lance's abundance of 1-2 range weapons. I wouldn't use bows with Bride though, and the healing is basically useless since that means you're not taking advantage of Galeforce, or you're ending the turn with her on point after healing.

Otherwise, Assassin is best from a purely statistical perspective, Sniper has the utility of the Double Bow.

If you've got other questions, I'd be happy to answer. I sunk tons of time into min-maxing this game, haha.

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
This magic reminds me of "Froze "!

Frozen Emblem!

LET IT GO! LET IT GOOO!
image.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom