• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I'm surprised you didn't get the reference. Lucina's birthday, Easter and 4/20 all in one day, you missed the triple whammy.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I'm surprised you didn't get the reference. Lucina's birthday, Easter and 4/20 all in one day, you missed the triple whammy.
All the kid's bad us line up with the releases of the fire emblem games.
An FE game was released on 4/20

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Moving this from the Smash 4 threads to a more appropriate venue:
@Xenoblaze
Awakening was a step backwards?
Was it the partner system? Ooh, or the fact that it saved the series and became one of the most successful and critically acclaimed 3DS games yet?
Sounds like a step in the right direction if you ask me.
Who says the pair up was a good thing? Many see it as a ridiculously overpowered and broken mechanic that the series would be better off without.

There are plenty of things to criticize about Awakening. The writing is wretched(not helped by the presence of the Avatar), and Pair Up is overpowered. There are also things the game has removed, like Stealing and Rescue(which were mainstays of the series from FE5-10), Light Magic(as well as any sort of magic triangle), S-Ranking weapons, character rather than class-based skills(and class-exclusive skills!), and Halberdiers.

It's not objectively a step backwards, but it's not objectively a step forwards either.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well from a guy who only recently started playing Fire Emblem, Awakening was a nice intro to the series.
It showed how unique the gameplay is and I'm enjoying it so far.
Of course the flaws are probably more evident to hardcore FE fans, aka not me.
But Jesus Christ Classic mode is impossible. I can't go without restarting the game when I lose someone I like.

Last edited:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689

Who says the pair up was a good thing? Many see it as a ridiculously overpowered and broken mechanic that the series would be better off without.

There are plenty of things to criticize about Awakening. The writing is wretched(not helped by the presence of the Avatar), and Pair Up is overpowered. There are also things the game has removed, like Stealing and Rescue(which were mainstays of the series from FE5-10), Light Magic(as well as any sort of magic triangle), S-Ranking weapons, character rather than class-based skills(and class-exclusive skills!), and Halberdiers.

It's not objectively a step backwards, but it's not objectively a step forwards either.
I like the idea of Pair up, it just needed to be reworked. It's way too strong as is, but it really wouldn't be hard to make it a good mechanic that would add an interesting element of choice to the game.

I also really like class based skills. We've seen elements of it before with things like Swordmasters getting a crit bonus, and I like that it has been extended to all classes. Though I hope the next game has that plus skill scrolls and characters coming with skills not in their class set.

It's rough around the edges, but I think there's potential with some of the things Awakening has done.

I also really like how Awakening handles supports, being able to support more than just five levels is a good thing imo.

But Jesus Christ Classic mode is impossible. I can't go without restarting the game when I lose someone I like.
Give in to no one is special mode, any playable character's death is worth a game over!

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I also really like class based skills. We've seen elements of it before with things like Swordmasters getting a crit bonus, and I like that it has been extended to all classes. Though I hope the next game has that plus skill scrolls and characters coming with skills not in their class set.
Not implying that class-based skills are bad, just that having both is a good idea.
It's rough around the edges, but I think there's potential with some of the things Awakening has done.
Can't deny the potential of some of the ideas in Awakening, but the execution is still sloppy.
I also really like how Awakening handles supports, being able to support more than just five levels is a good thing imo.
It can be a good thing...but unfortunately it creates some problems with the writing(for example, an already S-ranked Gaius being able to do Nowi's supports)

nessokman

Smash Lord

The writing wasn't THAT bad, it was pretty meh.

The main thing I hate is that the game gives you choices trying to make you think they will make a difference.
like if you want to hand over the fire emblem to save emm

Your choices should make a genuine difference, causing you to go through different levels and end at one of several endings.

I would have liked to know what would have happened if I had saved her.
I hate fake choices, no matter wht you say, the game does one.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Pair up is a nice mechanic. And the stat boosts you get are costing you a unit (so you are having a super unit at the cost of 2 unit spaces)

This brings the idea of having support units strictly just used for giving the best bonuses (berserkers for example for str and speed).

The issue is though is that your support unit gets to attack full force 60-80% of the time which is over the top. Double brave weapon pair up gives you a potenial total of 12 attacks!! (4 which can have skills activate on) which is pretty bonkers.

Why this is an issue is that the game has to be balanced around this and as seen in lunatic mode, pair up is pretty much mandatory.

I'm fairly certain that hard mode was balanced around not using pair up cause its fairly challenging with no pair up but doable.

Tl;dr Pair up needs to be toned down so its not the only way to play the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have recently thought about a good discussion topic :

If you were living actually as you are into the Fire Emblem Awakening universe, instead of Robin in the role of the shepherds' Tactician, which character of your opposite gender would you marry/date with ?

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941

If you were living actually as you are into the Fire Emblem Awakening universe, instead of Robin in the role of the shepherds' Tactician, which character of your opposite gender would you marry/date with ?
Do I know how children mechanics work?

If yes, Lucina, if no, Anna. Dat $$$$$$

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

Tiki. Freaky dragon sex FTW.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of that, Maribelle should have had a S support rank with Lissa.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Pair Up is a GREAT mechanic. Gives too much strategies to the table. Robin can't beat that Sage because he doesn't have the speed to do a double strike? Pair him with Chrom, Lon'qu, Sumia, etc. Chrom can't beat that General because his Rapier broke a while ago? Pair him with Frederick equipped with a Hammer. That dangerous enemy is too far away? Pair up with a mounted unit and save it later with a Rescue staff.

But I agree is a bit overpowered. You can beat the game in Lunatic only with Chrom and Robin.

Nowi. She's so cute, funny and inoccent. Plus, she's 1000 years old, so I can't go to jail :rolleyes:

nessokman

Smash Lord

Severa=10/10 would bang

If I had to date/marry a guy, Inigo, chrom, or gaius

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654

Sully, because weak women are not good enough.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Sully has -1 str and -1 def

Nowi has +1 str and +3 def

Cherche has +3 str and +2 def

Just said.
Nowi is not human and I was talking about how Sully is the most ripped female shepard. You can't use in game stats to explain everything. Having strong stats and being strong as a character alone, there is a difference.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Cherche: Oh my...these muscles! None of my dresses fit.

Cherche IS a strong woman too. Not only in stats.

Last edited:

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Cherche: Oh my...these muscles! None of my dresses fit.

Cherche IS a strong woman too. Not only in stats.
i understand that but Sully has her beat in muscle mass. Chechen spends more time with Minerva than working out.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Brave weapon + 4 astra + partner strikes 4 times with a brave weapon too = 28 hits

Edit:

So cool, I want to put some of these sprites in my signature.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As for me, it would be between Olivia (love timid characters who do know how to be bold when the opportunity arises), Tiki (for her kindness and her melons) and Pega-pony Prince-I mean, Cynthia (for her good mood overflowness).

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
I would marry Cherche probably, because she's a good character personality wise, probably my fav. Would have married her in my first playthrough but Cordelia came first. Plus my child would be batman.

Top Bottom