• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Just keep in mind I haven't finished it yet, haha.

My first issue is probably the variety in the missions for the main chapters. They feel a little too straight forward and I miss things like escaping, rescuing, and Fog of War maps. Most of it was defeat all the enemies or sometimes just the leader. My second problem is kind of the same. The maps felt a little lacking for me in terms of creativity or weren't memorable. Most maps were rather small too. Third problem for me is probably the balance, and the way reclassing was handled. It was cool but at the same time my characters lost some uniqueness, so it's a good and bad thing. Last issue is how pairing was. It was handled rather well (if you ignore galeforce), even with the stat bonuses, imo. My main issue was that I was waiting for enemy units or bosses to pair up as well.

I still find Awakening one of my favorites though, so these issues don't change much. I'm excited to see where the series is headed after this.

ChKn

Smash Ace
Got the last copy from one of the stores near me.

I'm still in the "omg I got a new handheld/console phase," and I guess I'm enjoying the game a lot more with the 3D slider. On Ch 13 on Normal now. Probably should have went Hard Mode.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I can agree that there is a lack of variety in map objectives.

But my favorite Fire Emblem before this was FE6, so that isn't much of an issue for me. I would have liked some defend maps though, enemy phase reinforcements kind of makes up for the lack of fog of war. I do like how the maps tend to have all the weaknesses covered, I can never be too careless on these maps.

I personally would take Galeforce over canto style movement any day, and with pairing up cutting down the number of currently active units compared to other FE's, I like it.

I'm not finished yet, but FE13 is one of my favorites right now, and I hope the next FE game builds off of this one. I think I'm at chapter 19, but I got the Golden Gaffe DLC and everything has become lol, might as well get Galeforce on the male children.

I have Owain with Galeforce and LanceBreaker, I'm happy.
I also have spotpass Mia, never going to leave my streetpass team. :3

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
This game can be funny sometimes. I just had Gerome supported with Lon'qu (father and son) attacked by a swordmaster. The swordmaster activated Astra despite having a 0% hit rate, and Lon'qu proceeded to support block all 5 hits. Then Gerome hit, Lon'qu attacked as well, and Gerome activated Sol with the swordmaster at 2HP. (he had full HP)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I am a little disturbed that Owain is a possible love interest for Lucina...seeing as in they are ALWAYS related no matter who marries who

It didn't stop me from pairing them though

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
They don't get married, it lists them as "companions" which I guess is different than married

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They still blush and Owain is still super excited when he presents his present to her and she accepts

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I hooked up with Lissa the first time through, so Owain was my kid, along with Morgan of course.

I'm starting over because I wasn't able to recruit one of the people in an early level and regretted it.

I'm going to be a female this time. A kid looking one because they get an eye patch. She's going to be a general, LOL

Minato

穏やかじゃない
lol I haven't seen the options for the girl avatar yet. I haven't picked anyone to marry either. It's gonna be either Tharja, Lissa, Lucina, or Tiki for my first playthrough.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I am a little disturbed that Owain is a possible love interest for Lucina...seeing as in they are ALWAYS related no matter who marries who

It didn't stop me from pairing them though
FE's always had it's fair share of shifty things, so i'm not surprised.
In one of the older games one of the female characters was like 14 or something, and you could get her married.

Yarne's love confession alone is atleast half responsible for the T rating.

Oh~
Speaking of which...
I ended up raising panne to level 30 in taguel form. Despite her high level cap it looks like you have to reclass her if you want her to stay a strong unit by the end of the game.

HOWEVER
Yarne might be able to stay taguel and still be strong by the end of the game. His stats are downright outragous! I'm not certain how stats transfer from the parents to the kids, but I ended up marrying Panne.

....Chrom **** blocked me from Sully. .____.
Man, what a ****!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm hooking my Chrom with Olivia in this game, partially because of how hard it is to do.

He married Sumia in my first game

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
First impressions of FE13:

Story isn't good.
Time travel is always a flop. Morgan ruins everything about the time travel plot

Random luck spots and merchants really changes how the game is played. I think the random luck spots should NEVER give random weapons.. At least good weapons like lord weapons (hector axe, titana axe, superior weapons)

DLC abuse is akin to arena abuse

Lunatic mode is stupidly harder than hard mode, but doable. There needs to be a difficulty IN-BETWEEN hard and lunatic.

Lunatic+ is even more ********, luck base on what skill is on which unit (lol good luck with that hawkeye hammer brigand in chapter 1)

Skills being affiliated to classes is a nice touch to skills.

Children are nice game mechanic. I actually like the concept. Time travel still is dumb. Only way to make children appear without time skipping though.

Cordelia used to be my favorite character until she liked talking about love in all her supports and was still in love with Chrom after getting married.

Also decisions are dumb since only the last one does anything. Also the last one is dumb since its a lose-win situation :/

Oh and i don't like how Morgan doesn't talk to the final boss.

ON ANOTHER NOTE

You have 13 units who can be wyvern riders (not counting spotpass characters, which half of them can also become wyvern riders)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Geez, spoiler tag some of that stuff Ussi. You even do this in the dere thread. Your short mention of the final boss already gives me an idea who it might be. Plus there could be some people that haven't gotten far to know some of the plot points.
I already figured it was Grima, but I assume the person that looked like my avatar is Grima

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Story has been fine so far imo, even at it's worst it is still average Fire Emblem. I haven't run into anything that bugs me as badly as the assassins guild with numbers equal to a large country from FE7 at least.

Just recruited Morgan and nothing seemed to be ruined.

I also like the random weapons, it's fine for a casual run. You can buy better things from the spotpass teams anyways(my avatar always has a forged Levin Sword :3.)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Sorry, sorry.

Once you do +speed MyUnit.. Its hard to do any other one ._. (Got speed screwed and had 10 speed at level 15)

About Morgan. Like for real spoilers:

he/she supposely comes from timeline C, where Lucina is from timeline A and we are in timeline B

But then the fact other units acknowledge them as their siblings... Specifically when Lucina acknowledging Morgan as her little brother. THIS MEANS THE FINAL BOSS IS LUCINA'S MOTHER FROM HER TIMELINE. But if Morgan is from timeline C then why does Lucina acknowledge Morgan as her little brother when she's from timeline A?

Seriously they shouldn't have given Lucina x Morgan the same cookie cutter Lucina sibling support. Had it been something like "i don't have a little brother.. Are you from a different timeline?" And everythin could have been fine and dandy

Oh and then of course children characters having Morgan. That's like a total dump on sense. Like.. did they love in timeline A? but timeline A MyUnit is ebil. If its timeline C, why does Morgan even need to time travel back when MyUnit isn't Grima at that point of time??

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I don't regret my +Spd -Def Avatar, dodging and doubling everything.
-Def probably will not be a good idea for Lunatic+ though.

As for Morgan, I read that spoiler, even though I'm only at chapter 19, and
I don't think it would be too strange to think that there would be a Morgan in the other timelines. Unless of course, if it gets stated otherwise later in the game.

I'm also having trouble seeing the problems with a second gen character having Morgan.

But I guess I'll need to finish the game before I can really talk about this, so I'll probably stay away from story stuff until then. :/

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Paralogue 6 is making me crazy. >:I
Inigo's chapter right?

Haha, I completed that one earlier today, forced me to restart about three times. I got pretty mad when Maribelle got killed by a pass assassin.

My units are pretty powerfull though, Lissa, Owain(both have Galeforce, Lissa is a Dark Flier) and Lon'qu were able to handle the northern flying units while my Avatar+Anna and Kellam+Stahl took care of the people in the fort. I had to wait for the southern fliers get close to the entrance to the fort before killing them.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
ok, here's my "perfect" breeding list

Chrom and Olivia
Donnel and Lissa
Lon'Qu and Panne
Vaike and Miribelle
Gregor and Sully
Fredrick and Sumia
Gaius and Cordelia
Stahl and Cherche
Kellam and Miriel
Ricken and Tharja
Henry and Nowi

I had to make sacrifices in some characters to boost others based on personal preference. And I hate Tharja's kid so she got Ricken because he wasn't paired with anyone else.
Sumia is the worst to pair because it's so limited...

I didn't pair MU because he passes down godly abilities and overrides anyone as far as I'm concerned.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Inigo's chapter right?

Haha, I completed that one earlier today, forced me to restart about three times. I got pretty mad when Maribelle got killed by a pass assassin.

My units are pretty powerfull though, Lissa, Owain(both have Galeforce, Lissa is a Dark Flier) and Lon'qu were able to handle the northern flying units while my Avatar+Anna and Kellam+Stahl took care of the people in the fort. I had to wait for the southern fliers get close to the entrance to the fort before killing them.
That's the one, haha.

I'm usually good until I get into the temple/fort area. It's easy to lure some of the enemies out, but then the rest of them sit in there all nice and cosy, and that part sucks. I've restarted it several times already, but I think I'm just going to go back and level up some more, then I'll try it again.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've been stuck grinding out supports instead of getting past chapter 18. The story's felt a tad slow right now and I loved the first half, so I'm taking a breather from the main story. Also, like this earlier chapter's song (which should've been an escape mission) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfvY1S-j67k

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I hate there are no escape and defend missions. FE10 did very beautifully with that. Especially 3-13, the best defend chapter (cause you actually feel threaten to defend the chapter out)

Unless you have Laura leveled up, you can't sleep Ike until turn 11

I have mixed feelings about no fog of war. Cause i hate fog of war, but i'm used to that being part of FE

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
That track is really good, I agree that that chapter would have made a great escape mission. Some mission variety would have been nice, 9 and 10 were pretty good about that. Still, I try to rout most chapters anyways, so it wouldn't change much. No fog of war is also very strange, I do like having enemy turn reinforcements for the higher difficulties, but fog of war would have helped to mix things up a bit.

I do think FE13 has been a big step forward for the series though, there's still a lot they can work on but that's what later games are for. No more steps backwards like FE6/11, please IS. At least FE6 gave us supports(speaking of which, I love how this game has removed the limit on how many supports you can have, minus S ranks.)

I got all my pairings done around where you are at too, Minato, as well as get Galeforce on everyone with the Dark Flier class and a male child. I felt the second half has been rushing things a little, though I guess anything they could have add might have been filler.

All the paralogue chapters make up for that though

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Gale force is amazing but it takes a while to reach :c

I feel better doing base class to another base class to promoted class to another promoted..

Levels up much faster than base to promoted to whatever (assuming another promoted)

Gale force rush does keep you prone to lower stats..

Besides with Cordelia i prefer making her the broken hero class and spam infinite short axes/tomahawks and sol every 3 attacks to never die.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I'm no where near the post game due to my save file getting reset, but general question... Is there anything to do after the main game? Would I just be starting over or are there actual things to do?

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
There's DLC, there will also be several spotpass chapters released every couple weeks or so, six total and one is out now, paralogue 18-23 that will let you recruit some characters from the main story plus a descendent of a certain Lord.

There are a lot of DLC chapters, difficulty varies so not all are for the post game. If you decide to not buy the DLC then there's not much of a post game, you could probably mess around with some of the spotpass legacy characters or just start over.

I also have to agree that this game's soundtrack is amazing. I love how the map theme changes to the battle theme seamlessly.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
That's the one, haha.

I'm usually good until I get into the temple/fort area. It's easy to lure some of the enemies out, but then the rest of them sit in there all nice and cosy, and that part sucks. I've restarted it several times already, but I think I'm just going to go back and level up some more, then I'll try it again.
Bwah~
I actually thought that was one of the easier ones!

Took out the fliers with archers, then had 2 strong units clear out the front gate, sent strong mage units to attack the guys behind the walls while my healers hid in safety spamming physic every turn.

Brady's level kicked my ass more then it should have though!
So hard trying to keep those villages safe from longbow fire.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Talking about the DLC chapters, I can't wait to see how ridiculous EXPonential Growth it going to be. The Golden Gaffe (the one made specifically for grinding money) is already a decent source of EXP since the enemy doesn't even attack you.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Bwah~
I actually thought that was one of the easier ones!

Took out the fliers with archers, then had 2 strong units clear out the front gate, sent strong mage units to attack the guys behind the walls while my healers hid in safety spamming physic every turn.

Brady's level kicked my *** more then it should have though!
So hard trying to keep those villages safe from longbow fire.
Well, I'm also kinda underleveled?

That's basically what I'm doing anyway though, except I'm also equipping mages with wind spells to help deal with fliers.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just beat the game late last night (only took 3 turns on the final chapter, got Grima with Aether). Overall Gameplay wise I think this is my favorite game, but Story wise, personally I'd argue it for being the worst in the series.

Still haven't paired everyone off yet nor have I attempted to recruit all the children yet, I also have to do spotpass/streetpass stuff, as well as DLC chapters; man this game has a lot of content.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Overall Gameplay wise I think this is my favorite game, but Story wise, personally I'd argue it for being the worst in the series.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. The gameplay is amazing (Dual Strikes I loved and hated at the same time), however, the story could've used a lot more work. I went ahead and beat the main story in 5 days since 1) I had little to nothing else to do at the time and 2) I kept playing to see if the story was going to get anymore interesting. It wasn't complete **** or anything, I just felt compared to previous installments it wasn't as good. Overall, the game was good enough to be on my list of favorites though.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Well it's not a horrible story. I mean it's not good, but it's not something that would keep me from playing. FE games aren't really known for their story per se, and it's not like they have many dramatic plot twists that we can't see coming. Nevertheless, I still would've liked to see a more developed story, but almost everything else in the game is so polished I can hardly complain.

Top Bottom