• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Speaking of making matters worse...
http://kotaku.com/why-some-people-are-calling-fire-emblem-fates-homophobi-1715602826

I must be the only one who did not care about the whole "controversy".
I'm assuming this is about that Kamui/Soleil support chain.

The controversy has certainly exaggerated, but there's a lot wrong with that chain. Mainly the whole "Kamui slips Soleil a magic drug without her consent." Yes, it will probably be changed in the English localization, but that doesn't shield it from criticism.
Or you could just simply NOT buy the game.
I'm assuming this is directed at the petitioners. If I misinterpreted your post, I apologize.

What would that accomplish? If Fates flops, how would we know Nintendo would interpret it as "oh wow, people really don't like the direction we've taken this series" instead of "well, I guess people just aren't interested in strategy game anymore!"

カワシさん

I'm assuming this is directed at the petitioners. If I misinterpreted your post, I apologize.

What would that accomplish? If Fates flops, how would we know Nintendo would interpret it as "oh wow, people really don't like the direction we've taken this series" instead of "well, I guess people just aren't interested in strategy game anymore!"
Yes, directed at petitioners, no worries ;)

You have a point there, but I believe that if you don't like a game, you aren't obliged to buy it. It isn't like Nintendo is threatening to withhold your 3DS if you don't buy Fates. Also, as @ Space Stranger Space Stranger put it, most of these people haven't even played the game.

D

Deleted member 269706

You know, I used to really like the Fire Emblem fanbase...What the hell happened?

Atrabilious

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Atrabilious
Awakening happened.

Developed a noticeable schism in the fanbase. Game tried something different and brought in a whole load of new people, some good, some bad. Older fans who didn't like the direction Awakening took and the things it did (which is fair, Awakening is a great game IMO but does have it's issues) clashed with newer fans who thought the game was the bee-knees. I trend to see a lot of new vs. old arguments/groups now. Newer fans write off oldschool FE fans as elitists, oldschool fans label newer fans as waifu-loving creepers, and eventually it escalates into stuff like that petition.

You obviously get a lot of middle ground and people who love the series as a whole, but the above does happen in abundance. If you want to see a prime example of it, go trawl the GFAQs fire emblem boards. Place is rife with that sort of stuff.

I personally think the series is going from strength to strength even if they're stumbling in places. Awakening was pretty heavy on the support side and light on tactics/map design, but it worked and was highly enjoyable. Everything I've read about Fates so far since it's release seems to point to both sides of the game getting TLC so I'm pretty excited.

@ Atrabilious Atrabilious
What you mentioned is much of why I like the series. Each new iteration of the game is very much trying out different features.

FE1 set the ground work. FE2 tried world map exploration. FE3 brought in dismounting along with a continuation in storyline. FE4 brought with it marriage mechanics, skills, and a new take on how maps played out. FE5 took most of the best traits of the previous games and polished it. Throwing in a few mechanic changes as well with fatigue and capture. FE6 I think polishes the FE experience very well. FE7 does not really bring anything new nor does FE8. FE8 rehashes the world map from FE2. FE9 is big merely because it brings in the idea of shape shifters and a 3D experience. FE10 brings out the idea of separate armies that you train individually and forces you to use a multitude of units which I think is really good compared to the free silvers of FE1 lol FE11-12 is nothing new and only remakes, but FE12 does introduce the avatar unit making it more personal for the player base. Finally, FE13 blends several old-school elements (some not seen stateside) and works together several old elements all in one while being a bit different.

FE13 I think did not take a wrong turn. The FE game is simply doing what all the others have done before by adding new mechanics and recycling some old ones. Its greatest step forward was certainly more of an outreach to a larger audience than before. Its step back was something it has never really done before. All other previous FE games almost always had some interesting map directives. Despite FE6 being all seize the maps were done in such a way that it did not matter. You often had plenty of other sidequests you could complete along the way. Good item drops, recruitment, villages, and paths to get to your goal. The objectives in FE13 were pretty bad overall. Usually being fairly wide open maps designed to throw waves of enemies at you with your only intent to slaughter everything around you. It lost much of it strategic merit.

D

Deleted member 269706

@ Atrabilious Atrabilious @ E Elyssa Xey Hexen Yeah that's the thing though, I enjoyed the older games in the series, but I also enjoyed Awakening. As a matter of fact, I think Awakening is my favorite game in the series overall. Say what you will about it, I still love the game. However it was after Awakening's release that I got really annoyed by the fanbase. People are so focused on the support system or the possibility of gay/bi relationships or something else ultimately meaningless that they basically forgot what the game is actually about. I hardly see ANY talk on the new gameplay mechanics, changes to old mechanics, classes, weapons, or skills...It's like someone who only appreciates a cake for it's aesthetics rather than the taste, composition, or work going into it.

Don't get me wrong, the games are still amazing (in my opinion) and the developers are doing an awesome job designing it...but the fanbase is freakin' cancerous.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
@ Atrabilious Atrabilious @ E Elyssa Xey Hexen Yeah that's the thing though, I enjoyed the older games in the series, but I also enjoyed Awakening. As a matter of fact, I think Awakening is my favorite game in the series overall. Say what you will about it, I still love the game. However it was after Awakening's release that I got really annoyed by the fanbase. People are so focused on the support system or the possibility of gay/bi relationships or something else ultimately meaningless that they basically forgot what the game is actually about. I hardly see ANY talk on the new gameplay mechanics, changes to old mechanics, classes, weapons, or skills...It's like someone who only appreciates a cake for it's aesthetics rather than the taste, composition, or work going into it.

Don't get me wrong, the games are still amazing (in my opinion) and the developers are doing an awesome job designing it...but the fanbase is freakin' cancerous.
The only talk I've seen of the mechanics of the game have been here and Serenes Forest and even then both have a heavy amount of topics focused on the extra stuff like Supports and Skinship. And the mixed opinions on both. From all the stuff I've seen of Fates I'm generally excited for the game.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Your best bet is eBay unless there is a website that ships internationally.

i.e. be prepared to pay more than the original price.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Sometimes I hope for more Fire Emblem LE goodies to reach the west. But then I remember the awful scalpers of Nintendo products now .__.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

I have never really enjoyed a series enough to warrant getting memorabilia or trinkets.
Same. Unless it was free, the closest thing I have to any of that is a Zelda tank top.
I mean, if a cool Fire Emblem shirt was released, there's a good chance I'd pick it up (given a reasonable price range), but it's not something I'm going to go out of my way to get.

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
The Necklace is very beautiful! The only merch i have lying around my room is some Zelda stuff and T-shirts. I want to get something Fire Emblem related but i'm a bit iffy on import prices.

Atrabilious

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Atrabilious
I generally tend to stay away from game related memorabilia and whatnot, I find it generally (but not always) tends to be low to mediocre quality with extortionate price tags, largely because the companies know die hard fans will throw money at it regardless.

Necklace looks nice though, admittedly not my sort of thing but still, nice.

spamwichx

Smash Cadet
NNID
samantharrgh
if i were to get fe merch i'd get this
but silly me got a xl so i can't buy it ;_; woe is me.

lucina, robin, ike and marth amiibos count as fe merch sort of?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

@ spamwichx spamwichx I honestly have no idea if they qualify as merch...Speaking of amiibo, is it possible to get the amiibo characters in your game without the amiibo figures though a streetpass battle or something?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Only FE merchandise I was tempted to get was that Tharja figure. Lucina had a figma figure but figmas never appealed to me.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I'm the exact opposite. I wanted the Lucina figma but wasn't interested in the Tharja statue. IIRC, Chrom is getting a Nendoroid and Cordelia is getting a statue.
@ spamwichx spamwichx I honestly have no idea if they qualify as merch...Speaking of amiibo, is it possible to get the amiibo characters in your game without the amiibo figures though a streetpass battle or something?
I haven't seen any footage that clarifies this but I doubt it.

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
I missed my chance to get my paws on those FE amiibos. but i can still give it another go before i even think about giving up.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I would have liked the Lucina figma, but was too late to order it. Don't care for Tharja, either in design or character, so her statuette never interested me.
Got the full set of FE amiibo so far, though.
Was tempted by the FE4 figurines, but decided against it in the end.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Anyone else replaying the older games? I'm trying to playthrough the GBA games, starting with Sacred Stones.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I recently finished FE6 for the third time (on Normal, I beat it on Hard my second playthrough)

IDK if it counts but i've also been playing a rebalancing romhack of FE4(it's called the "Shin Patch", if anyone is interested).

Then again i play through the older titles quite regularly so this isn't really special.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Lol, looks like I remembered correctly about the Chrom and Cordelia figures:

Won't buy either of them but they look pretty nice.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I started another Awakening playthrough to tide me over. Classic hard, no reset, no pair-up, no Robin, no children, and no grinding/DLC. The last few playthroughs I've done have been no-reset runs with similar restrictions, but I wanted to try one where I have to use first-gen characters. I typically restrict myself from using Second Seals as well, but I don't think the first generation can do it on their own with all those other restrictions in place. :x

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Especially pair up, Awakening was pretty much designed for players to utilize it.

Anyone else replaying the older games? I'm trying to playthrough the GBA games, starting with Sacred Stones.
How old is old? I want to play this game again.

I started another Awakening playthrough to tide me over. Classic hard, no reset, no pair-up, no Robin, no children, and no grinding/DLC. The last few playthroughs I've done have been no-reset runs with similar restrictions, but I wanted to try one where I have to use first-gen characters. I typically restrict myself from using Second Seals as well, but I don't think the first generation can do it on their own with all those other restrictions in place. :x
I should try a no second seal run. I have not done that one yet at all.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I need advice: I just bought the Apotheosis DLC for Awakening (2 slow, I know), any advice for me?
Late reply, but grind your units. Limit Breaker, Galeforce, Rallybots (i.e. characters who only use rallies), and Dancer!Olivia are strongly recommended.

Found some footage of the two DLC classes in FE:Fates

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Don't know about Bride but Dread Fighter has already been confirmed.

Sadly, only 2 Dread Scrolls per route and I believe they are obtained once you complete both Nohr and Hoshido but I might be wrong.

D

Deleted member 269706

Don't know about Bride but Dread Fighter has already been confirmed.

Sadly, only 2 Dread Scrolls per route and I believe they are obtained once you complete both Nohr and Hoshido but I might be wrong.
From what I understand the "Dread Fighter" in Fates operates different than the one did in Awakening. Instead of using tomes, it uses shurikens so it's not quite the same. Hence the reason I said "Awakening's Dread Fighter" in my last post. I mean, I'm glad it's coming back even if it isn't perfect, but ideally I'd love the Awakening version of the class to make an appearance.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Ah, I see. I didn't quite get what you meant. Though, Dread Fighters always had that Mage-Killing Ninja vibe for me in Awakening.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
TBH I don't like a lot of the FE awakening crowd and I don't think that Fates will change anything. Especially with the touching mechanic. Personally I got the GBA games at a young age but didn't have the attention span to stay invested past the tutorial. Fast-Forward years later and Awakening comes out, looks good and 3ds doesn't have many bad games so I got it and the character's relationship with one another really kept me invested for like 2 months then after finding almost all the dialogue trees I decided to actually beat the game and let me tell you I was So invested in that ending that I almost cried. Do I think it's the best in the series, maybe. It was the first FE that I could actually sit through and I don't regret it so now the other games are higher up on my backlog and I'm pretty excited for it :awesome:

D

Deleted member 269706

Yeah, I really like the direction the developers took with Awakening where they actually made each character unique and special instead of just focusing on the lords and making everyone else feel like disposable units. The intentions were great, the execution was great, the reception was horrible. Now Fire Emblem is hardly about the strategy to the common fans, making it a pain in the ass to actually talk about the series with others. Serene's Forrest is dominated with favorite/least favorite character polls and who would make the best waifu/husbando and all this other bull****. Like damn, I love talking about the characters and shipping can be fun ONCE IN A WHILE, but there's so much more to it than that. What's worse is how many of the SF forum users have FeIF, so I feel like if I go there something will get spoiled for me one way or another.

Top Bottom