• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
Yeah, I really like the direction the developers took with Awakening where they actually made each character unique and special instead of just focusing on the lords and making everyone else feel like disposable units. The intentions were great, the execution was great, the reception was horrible. Now Fire Emblem is hardly about the strategy to the common fans, making it a pain in the *** to actually talk about the series with others. Serene's Forrest is dominated with favorite/least favorite character polls and who would make the best waifu/husbando and all this other bull****. Like damn, I love talking about the characters and shipping can be fun ONCE IN A WHILE, but there's so much more to it than that. What's worse is how many of the SF forum users have FeIF, so I feel like if I go there something will get spoiled for me one way or another.
Totally I just don't like how semi-cringy the whole fan-base comes off sometimes

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Wow, I really neglected this poor thread.

After a short hiatus, I went back to my no-grind, maybe-Creature Campaign, run on Sacred Stones. I had an impressive break with Duessel who held his own during a crucial chokepoint on Chapter 15. Tana, Lute, Cormag, Gerik, and Colm got in some good levels too.

Then again, Sacred Stones is pretty forgiving out of the 3 GBA titles but it still was impressive.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If there is one thing sacred stones did right is that while you still have your optimal units, you can use whoever the heck you want and it won't be shooting you in the foot *coughsomedawnbrigadeunitscough*

D

Deleted member 269706

Sacred Stones is my favorite of the GBA titles. I feel like the story was more unique and the characters were more memorable and charismatic in certain aspects. The other ones just felt like they focused on the main lords too much and the other characters became almost obsolete. And I really dont mind the world map, honestly I prefer it. The grinding thing did make it easier and that's a downside but at the end of the day, the ability to choose different paths and the endgame stuff totally makes up for it.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
So, I've been playing Fire Emblem Awakening for my second run (and having fun with the marriage feature again), and I was curious, what are y'alls favorite pairings in FE:A? What, in your opinion, is the weirdest pairing in the game? Are their any characters who should've had more S support options in your opinion?

Last edited:

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Nowi x Gaius is pretty weird, Lissa x Robin is pretty weird too. Neither of them have any real build up or character chemistry and the S support pretty much comes out of nowhere. "Ha ha I pranked you again, now love me." "CAAAANDYYY! I LOVE YOU"

Just, no. I don't really like Nowi all that much as a character so I haven't explored many of her supports. She usually gets pawned off to whoever just so I can recruit Nah.

I like Chrom x Sumia but their supports are awful. That pairing works better if they haven't reached S support by the tine you meet the cut off point for Chrom's marriage. The post-mission chat is a lot better.

Gregor x Miriel is good. Plus Laurent gets armsthrift out of that so he can nosferatank with aversa's night for maximum carnage.

D

Deleted member 269706

Henry x Sumia is an old favorite of mine. IDK, I just love Henry as a character, and Sumia is pretty great herself. Severa x Inigo is also pretty interesting, but I appreciate it.

I really wish characters like Gangrel, Aversa, and other characters like that could've had more supports because I found them just as intriguing as the rest of the cast. Oh well, maybe next time.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Aversa is the character I wish had more supports the most. Her back story is pretty grim, and I think more expansive support options that expand on her trying to come to terms with what happened to her and adjusting to it could've made her a really interesting character. That and I really dig her design.

Alas she was relegated to simply being an option for Robin's already considerable harem. Still a fun unit to use all the same, shadowgift is nice. Dark Flier with Nosferatu? I'll take it.

Shame Say'ri got shafted where it came to supports. She's not even a bonus character and got very little on that front.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Henry x Sumia is an old favorite of mine. IDK, I just love Henry as a character, and Sumia is pretty great herself. Severa x Inigo is also pretty interesting, but I appreciate it.

I really wish characters like Gangrel, Aversa, and other characters like that could've had more supports because I found them just as intriguing as the rest of the cast. Oh well, maybe next time.
Same. I felt bad for Aversa and Gangrel. I wish they had more time to be playable to bring out their characters, as well as having maybe a few other supports. My friend kind of hated me for this one, but when I first learned of Gangrel's playability, I wondered if he had an S support conversation with...

Lissa and Emmeryn

It would've been cool if Aversa got her own kid as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Same. I felt bad for Aversa and Gangrel. I wish they had more time to be playable to bring out their characters, as well as having maybe a few other supports. My friend kind of hated me for this one, but when I first learned of Gangrel's playability, I wondered if he had an S support conversation with...

Lissa and Emmeryn
Yeah for real, I was happy that those two had conversation options in the DLC, so they weren't completely forgotten about. If only it could've been more expanded upon. But all in all, I actually kinda liked Gangrel as a character, people don't like that very much haha.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I'm finally going to replay FE7 for the first time in years!

Folt

Smash Ace
Yeah for real, I was happy that those two had conversation options in the DLC, so they weren't completely forgotten about. If only it could've been more expanded upon. But all in all, I actually kinda liked Gangrel as a character, people don't like that very much haha.
Gangrel was cool. If he could get more than one S-Support, I betcha he would have Emmeryn amongst his options.

Unrelated to the above, please tell me I'm not the only one who likes to think up lots of badhorrible FE fan game ideas featuring myself as a unit in one way or another.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Gangrel was cool. If he could get more than one S-Support, I betcha he would have Emmeryn amongst his options.

Unrelated to the above, please tell me I'm not the only one who likes to think up lots of badhorrible FE fan game ideas featuring myself as a unit in one way or another.
If you are dedicated, you could create a hack of one of the older games.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I'm close to finishing No-Grind FE Sacred Stones (still painfully easy) for Eirika's path. Even though it's my favorite game in the franchise, I still think that 7 offered a greater gameplay challenge with a ton of gaiden chapters and a variety of goals for certain chapters. I'm going to attempt to make it decently far this weekend before classes resume.

I haven't played in so long.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Thracia 776 is fun
...so far, at least (currently on chapter 8)

Probably helps that Leif isn't sucking as bad as I expected, and the pegasus knight and myrmidon girls are as overpowered as ever (fatigue though is probably going to get annoying very quickly).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Thracia 776 is fun
...so far, at least (currently on chapter 8)

Probably helps that Leif isn't sucking as bad as I expected, and the pegasus knight and myrmidon girls are as overpowered as ever (fatigue though is probably going to get annoying very quickly).
Leif is great. Did you feed him the earlygame statboosters?

Also fatigue isn't that big of a deal for non-Staffbots.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
All except the magic boost, I think. He's even gotten two movement growths (I actually kinda like the movement growth rate, even if it is a little absurd seeing Leif be able to move as far as anyone on a horse)
Wait until you see Sara.

Also relevant:

I have not given her a single statbooster, FYI.

Folt

Smash Ace
Also, regarding Fates:

Holy ****, I love looooove the Invisible Kingdom! A realm with floating continents and where laws of gravity is ****ed so we can have villages on the walls and upside down waterfalls and so on is sooo my kind of mysterious fantasy world.

TheMasonOrder

Banned via Warnings
So, did this thread die or are people been busy with there lives other than playing FE? I guess I can try too rekindle the flame.

About 4 weeks ago I been sucked into the Fates hype so I've broken down and imported it. I must say, aside from the"High Fantasy design"(for Nohr at least. I know nothing about Japan culture in the middle ages, but it was a nice touch.) the game was really fun. I only beaten Nohr and I think I'm on Chapter 12 on Hoshido. Might post my endgame team for Nohr if I have the time.

I'm also trying to replay some of the older FEs. Been thinking about doing some sort of special run, but it's no fun just doing it by yourself and only you(the player playing it) knows about it.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
I've been trying to avoid spoilers for Fates, mostly. I'm content to wait for the English release, and so haven't really been participating in any FE related discussion for a while on any forum I frequent.

But for the sake of throwing something out there, if you're like me then you probably gave up on getting any sort of amiibo a while back due to their scarcity and scalpers generally just being jackasses. When amiibo functionality was announced for Fates I was pretty grumpy about the whole thing since I knew that I probably wasn't going to get any of them and would miss out on the units in-game. I went on holiday sunday before last to Bruges in Belgium and on the way back to the UK on Thursday decided to spend some time in Cite Europe in Calais. On a whim I looked in Toys'r'us and managed to find a Lucina amiibo. When I got back to London I decided to check Nintendo's UK website, figured maybe my luck would hold out. Turns out Nintendo UK had all 4 FE amiibo in stock, so I've finally rounded out my collection and am all ready for Fates and whatever else FE content they may provide in future.

If you're a UK resident, all 4 FE amiibo are still in stock on their website so I'd go buy them while you can if amiibo interest you. I've been out of the loop on the amiibo business for quite some time but if they're still as much of a pain in the ass to obtain as they were initially, then I imagine they'll be gone before too long.

D

Deleted member 269706

Yeah I was unbelievably hyped for Fates for the longest time, but I'm totally alright waiting for the official version from Nintendo. I'm still pumped for this game, but luckily there's been little talk about the English release, so I'm not overly hyped for something months away. Can't wait to hear more about the English release, I just hope they don't announce anything too far in advance.

Folt

Smash Ace
I'm also waiting for the official translation from Nintendo. It's going to be so fun to finally play it. But in the meantime, I have work and Fire Emblem Awakening to keep me busy. As well as other things.

I'm also probably one of the only people who think Nohr's story is not bad.

Alright, time to resurrect a dead game mode that no one ever seems to use.

Fire Emblem Drafts.

Pick your game and let us see what we can cook up. I am eyeing Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
What is FE Drafts?

Sorry, if I am not THAT familiar with FE.
Basically, as I understand it, a group of people play through an FE game at the same time. At the start of the draft, each person takes turns picking characters to use. Once someone picks a character, only they can use that character.

The SF drafting thread has a better explanation.

D

Deleted member 269706

If I had any consoles here at uni with me, I'd love to join. I'm planning on playing through some older FE's on an emulator. Anything before FE7 since that's the earliest game I've played. Which ones are worth playing/your favorites? I'm leaning towards FE4 and FE6 right now...Kinda stuck between which one I want to play first, would love to hear your opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
If I had any consoles here at uni with me, I'd love to join. I'm planning on playing through some older FE's on an emulator. Anything before FE7 since that's the earliest game I've played. Which ones are worth playing/your favorites? I'm leaning towards FE4 and FE6 right now...Kinda stuck between which one I want to play first, would love to hear your opinions.
I'd say start off with FE6 since it will be the most familiar having played FE7 & 8. FE4 requires a lot of learning regarding its dated mechanics such as fatigue and actual 2nd Gen planning.

FE5 is just a learning curve on its own. Tread carefully.
Alright, time to resurrect a dead game mode that no one ever seems to use.

Fire Emblem Drafts.

Pick your game and let us see what we can cook up. I am eyeing Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn.
I only have access to the GBA games and Awakening...I prefer going with the GBA games.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
FE4 requires a lot of learning regarding its dated mechanics such as fatigue
Fatigue was only in FE5. FE4 with those massive maps and fatigue would be... I was going to say "stupidly unplayable" but it'd actually probably not be that different, since you'd still just solo the first half with Sigurd anyway :p

actual 2nd Gen planning
I wouldn't say there's as much planning as in Awakening, since for most children I find there's really only one or two "good" pairings. Of course you can make any pairing (or even the substitutes) work out eventually, but most of the time anything other than those "good" pairings is just making it harder (like if you pair Lewyn with Sylvia so Corple gets Forseti - he can't use it for ages, if ever).

FE5 is just a learning curve on its own. Tread carefully.
Oh, it's not that bad...
fe5.png

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Fatigue was only in FE5. FE4 with those massive maps and fatigue would be... I was going to say "stupidly unplayable" but it'd actually probably not be that different, since you'd still just solo the first half with Sigurd anyway :p
Why do I always confuse Genealogy with Thracia 776?

Of course, Sigurd, movement as a mounted unit, and weapon becomes a godsend.
Until he begins [ahem] playing with fire.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've pretty much warmed up to #FE now. I'm actually really interested to try it out considering the staff working on it.

Console JRPG by Atlus with Nintendo money? Sign me up.

D

Deleted member 269706

IDK how all the hype managed to die for this game, I guess we finally accepted that we'll have to wait forever...Think we'll get a release date in the next direct? I'm really hoping so.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Yeah, I think we've mostly settled into the acceptance phase at this point. I was hoping for an early 2016 release date, but that seems increasingly unlikely. I'm now just content knowing it's coming eventually though.

Top Bottom