• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

IDK how all the hype managed to die for this game, I guess we finally accepted that we'll have to wait forever...Think we'll get a release date in the next direct? I'm really hoping so.
It just does not feel like a Fire Emblem game from what I have seen. Then again, I have not looked that deep into it. But, it looks more like Tensei games and... I have no idea actually what is apart of the fire emblem series.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
It just does not feel like a Fire Emblem game from what I have seen. Then again, I have not looked that deep into it. But, it looks more like Tensei games and... I have no idea actually what is apart of the fire emblem series.
Apparently, the summons are based off of Awakening and Akaneia but I agree that the game's redesign doesn't really give a FE feel other than appearance and name. I mean, I might get it when it is given a release date but the game's design isn't for me.

Apparently, the summons are based off of Awakening and Akaneia but I agree that the game's redesign doesn't really give a FE feel other than appearance and name. I mean, I might get it when it is given a release date but the game's design isn't for me.
Its probably one of those few WiiU titles that are worth getting that are not made by Nintendo. Even the Nintendo games I have not felt compelled to get all that much. Super Mario Galaxy, Sunshine, and N64 were great titles for that type of series. Then, we got all the throwback titles which did not really feel that spectacular compared to the past legacy. Similar with other games. One of the reason I still have not gotten a WiiU yet lol

Still looking forward to the US release of the Fire Emblem games for the 3DS

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I think the Wii U's main problem is that most of their IP's games either played it safe with a similar formula or released a remake/remastered version of an old game. There are a few games that might justify purchasing the game but that all comes down to personal taste.

And second on the 3DS release of Fates. Hopefully more challenge DLC gets announced.

Well, its that reason why certain people never get WiiU if they play on say PS or Xbox. You sort of have to like the same formulas that are being used with each generation. Enough has been changed to keep it interesting, but that is slowly dying. Even more so since all of these remakes are still very much within recent memory of those who end up affording to buy the games. A remake for wind waker? I can sort of see N64 ones. Even that feels at stretch. The NES remakes now a days would make far more sense. The games are literally older than some people in living memory.

But yeah, Nintendo rant :D THe DLC I am not too much of afan for for unless you meant that 3rd storyline arc.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I hope more preorders open up for the special edition. I snatched one up right when it went up after the Direct.

As for #FE, I'm excited for it. I wasn't expecting anything FE-esque in the first place, so the turnaround didn't take too long for me. I was more expecting something SMT, but I guess it's more Persona-esque in a way.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Excited to pick up the Special Edition as well. Part of me wants to feel bad for having both a JP and NA set of all 3 routes of Fates, but another part wants me to be okay with finally being a committed fan to something outside of Final Fantasy.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't preorder things, much less games I'm this ambivalent about.

Is the special edition preorder only?

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
It seems that way. I still haven't pre-ordered the game yet.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Yeah it's pre order only and every place stop taking pre orders. I was just bout to pre order the special edition and boom Amazon, best buy and gamestop are out.

Last edited:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Gamestop probably has the best odds of restocking seeing as they've been putting them back up for the past week. Though you could always visit your local store and see if they've got some spots open. It's how a few got theirs earlier last week.

I have strictly avoided develing too deeply into the newer FE games. However, I am quite curious nwo how the stories line-up. Are all three games vastly different enough to warrant paying nearly the same amount of money for each game?

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I'm still in the process of trying to beat both routes. But from what I have experienced, while some maps may be seen on multiple versions of the game, the stories are different. You aren't getting a Pokemon experience where only your allies are different. Missions on Conquest(Nohr) are much harder, the atmosphere tends to get darker as you go on, and super enjoyable (to me). Yet the story line (for the most part) is different from Hoshido. I've only gotten to 13 on both so can't say much about the ending. And I think there are like 25? Can't say much about 3rd route since I'm holding off until there is more translation done on it.

You aren't getting a Pokemon experience where only your allies are different.
This is the aspect I was most concerned about having to deal with. So, that sounds good that they should be quite distinct. And $40 for a game is reasonable compared to paying say $60 for a game. That borderlines not wanting to do it.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
June 25th can't come soon enough. What version is everyone getting? I'll be getting Conquest, for the mission variety.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I'm trying to track the special edition but I'm playing Conquest for its challenging gameplay.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I think there's a very high chance of it being censored. A lot of dialogue was censored in Awakening; there's a trend of re-written dialogue throughout the English localizations of games.

Even if the dialogue somehow goes 100% unchanged, I don't think NoA will allow these kinds of things.

Recently Xenoblade Chronicles X got the same kind of censorship, with Lin being covered up more in the English localization. My hope is that there's no censorship for Fates. I want to enjoy the game as it was meant to be played; not a sugar coated version that's easier to market. I do realize that this almost certainly won't be the case, given the series' track record of changing things for western audiences.

Here are some more examples of censorship and localization errors in Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

GunGuts

Smash Cadet
Hey fellow Lords and Paladin, I'm a fan of Fire Emblem and I just wanted to say hello. This game is one of my favorite RPGs I've played and I just want to share my love for the game with you guys.

Anyways, I've got a question. I want to play the first FE game, so should I play FE 1 and FE 3 or just one of them? I'm asking this because I know FE 3 is a remake/sequel of the first game.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Anyways, I've got a question. I want to play the first FE game, so should I play FE 1 and FE 3 or just one of them? I'm asking this because I know FE 3 is a remake/sequel of the first game.
FE3 contains both a remake and a sequel of the first game. The remake of FE1 is Book 1, and the sequel is Book 2. However, FE3 Book 1 cuts a few chapters and playable characters from FE1 (though FE1 is so outdated, it's not really worth going back just to get what's missing). Alternatively, the two DS games (11 and 12) are full remakes of FE1 and FE3 Book 2 respectively, if you can get hold of them/your computer is up to DS emulation. If you want the full experience of the first game, play the DS remake; otherwise, FE3 is fine.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Saw this on the FE sub-reddit and didn't see it mentioned here, so thought I'd put it here too.

The Art of Fire Emblem: Awakening is being published by Dark Horse books and is now currently up for pre-order, if art books are your thing.

Here is the link for the fellows occupying the colonies: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Fire-Embl...1165886&sr=8-2&keywords=fire+emblem+awakening

and here is another for fellow UK residents: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...fire emblem&qid=1451308229&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Costs $24.68 and £21.34 respectively.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Art book that comes out 4 years after Awakening?

...Still worth it. I read scans of the Japanese version so I'm looking forward to this.

keymanb

Smash Apprentice
Apparently I'll get news from a friend if the game will receive some sort of censorship from my around mid January. If it's censored I feel I may just buy a -J version and get the english patch of the game through 3Ds homebrew.

FE3 contains both a remake and a sequel of the first game. The remake of FE1 is Book 1, and the sequel is Book 2. However, FE3 Book 1 cuts a few chapters and playable characters from FE1 (though FE1 is so outdated, it's not really worth going back just to get what's missing). Alternatively, the two DS games (11 and 12) are full remakes of FE1 and FE3 Book 2 respectively, if you can get hold of them/your computer is up to DS emulation. If you want the full experience of the first game, play the DS remake; otherwise, FE3 is fine.
Weapon Levels that you can gain only by random level-ups x.X I am quite glad this system is gone. However, it was a sort of cool feature that if your character's stats were not at the promote units base stats you would get as many points in a stat as necessary to boost you up to that level.

Yoite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ryudo212
Never played any other FE game other than Awakening but am starting a marathon of the old ones now. Starting with Blazing Sword and Blinding Blade now (due to many many recommendations of what to start with) will move on to maybe Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn afterwards.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Hey is Shadow Dragon worth buying? Is it as bad as the critics say?
Shadow Dragon is great. It only faults in the art. Characters in battle don't look that good, especially Medeus.

For some reason, the main thing people complain about is that it doesn't add or spice up the main gameplay. This is because it's a remake of the very first Fire Emblem on the Famicom. To me, it's the tried and true Fire Emblem game, so it's very good for beginners. If you've played other FE games that have more depth, you'll be disappointed. There are some things the remake added, like in chapters and extra characters to add, but the main game wasn't drastically changed.

The prologue chapters are awful, however. It starts as a basic tutorial, but then you're forced to kill a unit off. That's just stupid.

I have fond memories with it's multiplayer, which is now defunct because it used NWFC. I never see people mention it, which makes me believe people forgot about it. I would play with friends all the time, and it even had voice communications! Main reason I enjoyed it lot.

In conclusion, I would say go for it. Like I said, it's the most basic Fire Emblem. It has the right amount of difficulty and well balanced units. Story is bare and visuals aren't pleasing, but it's the Fire Emblem game I have gone back to the most.

Never played any other FE game other than Awakening but am starting a marathon of the old ones now. Starting with Blazing Sword and Blinding Blade now (due to many many recommendations of what to start with) will move on to maybe Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn afterwards.
Binding Blade is a terrible entry to start out with, and not fun to play either. It's the worst Fire Emblem game.
Skip to FE7. If you're committed to Binding Blade, here's a tip: put Roy in a corner. He is beyond worthless. If you use Roy too much, he can mess up your game. If you have him defeat too many enemies and take exp, your other units won't be able to do jack later and die. Roy himself will also not be able to do jack, so he will also die. He promotes extremely late in the game, to the point that a common strategy is to just not use him.

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are also kind of difficult. Like I said, Shadow Dragon is good for beginners.

Last edited:

Yoite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ryudo212
Binding Blade is a terrible entry to start out with, and not fun to play either. It's the worst Fire Emblem game.
Skip to FE7. If you're committed to Binding Blade, here's a tip: put Roy in a corner. He is beyond worthless. If you use Roy too much, he can mess up your game. If you have him defeat too many enemies and take exp, your other units won't be able to do jack later and die. Roy himself will also not be able to do jack, so he will also die. He promotes extremely late in the game, to the point that a common strategy is to just not use him.

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are also kind of difficult. Like I said, Shadow Dragon is good for beginners.
I would definitely assume that the older games are harder than Awakening don't get me wrong. But I did play and finish Awakening on professional difficulty with permanent deaths so I'm not that worried. And I wouldn't be so dumb as to have the strongest guy get all the exp anyway, it's exactly the same with how you shouldn't let Frederic, Robin or Chrom kill all the enemies in Awakening at the start otherwise all your other people will be too **** to do anything in the harder levels later on.

But I was told that 'First, you must decide a starting point. My most recommended is Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword, though Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon are good options.

Then, if applicable, play your starting point's sequel.'

And if this is the one that has Roy in it I'm more than happy to give it a shot :)

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I would definitely assume that the older games are harder than Awakening don't get me wrong. But I did play and finish Awakening on professional difficulty with permanent deaths so I'm not that worried. And I wouldn't be so dumb as to have the strongest guy get all the exp anyway, it's exactly the same with how you shouldn't let Frederic, Robin or Chrom kill all the enemies in Awakening at the start otherwise all your other people will be too **** to do anything in the harder levels later on.

But I was told that 'First, you must decide a starting point. My most recommended is Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword, though Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon are good options.

Then, if applicable, play your starting point's sequel.'

And if this is the one that has Roy in it I'm more than happy to give it a shot :)
I was a little confused because you originally said "Blazing Sword" and "Binding Blade."

Blazing Sword is Fire Emblem 7. It was the first one brought over to America, so it's officially known as "Fire Emblem" here. It has

Binding Blade is Fire Emblem 6. It was never officially released outside of Japan, but you can find a decent ROM translation. The main flaw of FE6 is that it's repetitive and slow, among other things. Roy is undoubtedly the worst FE lord, and he can actually cause you to start the game over if he's used too much in the beginning. Or at all. Like I said, not using Roy is a viable strategy for the game. If you know that Roy promotes extremely late in the game, there's not too much to worry about and you can make a plan based around his weaknesses.

They're all good games to start at, really. Sacred Stones is fun.

C. Karnage

Smash Rookie
The main issue with Binding Blade isn't Roy, it's actually the enemy. The enemies you face a few chapters in get way too strong too fast. In tearms of growth rates Roy and Eliwood are almost the same with eliwood just having slightly better growths and an earlier promotion.

ambush spawning is also part of the problem, which was mostly removed from the series untill Awakening brought it back

there's a patch somewhere on serenesforest(dot)net that fixes a lot of the issues people have with binding blade

as for Roy being the worst lord, Lief may be the worst

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Roy actually happens to have some of the best growths in his game, he's just massively screwed by his late promotion. the sword of seals tries to offset this (srsly that thing's a beast) but the 20 uses thing REALLY hurts it.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
FE6 is a good game.

Not a good starting point, it's not a nice game.
But it's a good game.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys go through FE games without resetting? I want to get to know characters because I want to get to know all the characters but that defeats the purpose of the game. I can understand resetting because main character died or maybe you need to have a certain unit to progress but I feel like a lot of the game comes with being able to take a death ot two (or three or more...)

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Resetting does not defeat the purpose of the game.

It's well known that many of the developers reset whenever they let someone die, but it's also important to look at what Fire Emblem is. This series gives the player a ton of freedom, a ton of characters to choose from, several difficulty levels, and now even the choice of casual or classic modes. There is nothing anywhere that says that the game wants you to power through it if you let someone die, it's just another part of the choices we are able to make in the game. Do you want to accept your mistake and leave that character dead, or do you want to say that your lord is not special and if any character dies it means a game over?

I'm really amazed at how often I see this, there is no one right way to deal with the perma-death system, never has and never will.

Resetting does not defeat the purpose of the game.

Top Bottom