• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Big FE6 update so far I'm at Ch.16 right now and have alot of characters promoted or ready to promote. I also got all the legendary weapons thus far and did every gaiden chapter so far.

Team that I am bringing with me to the chapter.

LVL 20 Roy with A support with Lilina
LVL 17 Lilina
LVL 3 promoted Milady
LVL 3 Wolt promoted
LVL 14 Lalum with max speed
LVL 2 Raigh who is promoted and have A support with Lugh
LVL 12 Chad with max speed
LVL 4 Clarine promoted and A rank with Rutger
LVL 8 Cath
LVL 4 Rutger
LVL 19 Allen with a Knight Crest on him and A rank with Lance
LVL19 Lance with Knight Crest on him as well
LVL 5 Perceval
LVL 10 Saul

I also have Noah,Treck, Ellen, Dieck, Lugh and Geese all ready to get promoted as well.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
So I'm planning to do another FE4 run. Anyone want to recommend which pairings I should do? Here's what I had last time, they seemed to go pretty well but I sort of feel like mixing them up this time around:
Adean + Midayle
Ayra + Noish (I want to call him by his proper Irish name but no one else does)
Raquesis + Beowulf
Sylvia + Claud
Ferry + Lewyn (I'm slightly reluctant to change this one because Ced with Forseti is pretty awesome)
Tiltyu + Azel
Brigid + Holyn

(in other news I hate some of the corruptions the FE fandom insists on using for the Irish names in the Jugdral saga. "Noish" is a complete abomination in my eyes. "Tiltyu" is pretty awful too, but not as bad. At least Awakening killed off "Diadora", that was the worst. I know it's because those are the official forms they used in Japan, but still)

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the nihongo spelling, but I reallh doubt those names are spelt like that unless people butcher the names reAlly well.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I am not familiar with the nihongo spelling, but I reallh doubt those names are spelt like that unless people butcher the names reAlly well.
Those are what's in the translation patch I'm using (checked again, I had one that wasn't there), which is based off the official names used in Awakening, and the names from the Trading Card Game (I think) for the rest.
Though "Skasaher" for the character called Ulster in Awakening was once a thing, so yes, some people really can butcher names like that. (I just remembered that one, which is infinitely worse than "Diadora"; it doesn't even remotely resemble the name it's supposed to reference. Irish is a hard enough language to try and render in katakana, but it's like they didn't even try. I don't agree with calling him Ulster either, since Alster exists already. I can see why though - try pronouncing "Scáthach" if you're not familiar with the Gaelic languages.)

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I find this really amusing... They made The Legend of Korra into a crappy Fire Emblem clone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf4pUzWjUZM

It has the elemental weakness triangle square and everything... only it looks really awful and the battle animations are lazy.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So, I found this on Serenes Forest. Slight language warning:
http://i.imgur.com/BoFZ3SU.jpg

Thoughts? How well do you think it reflects you or anyone else?
The guy who introduced me to FE recommended trying Holy Wars next. Thoughts?
FE4 is quite good IMO, but it's not for everyone. It has a smaller number of chapters, but the chapters themselves are much bigger and always have multiple objectives. The inventory system is also somewhat controversial(there's no true trading mechanic, the only way to trade weapons is to pass them through the Pawn Shop).

Do you already know about the pairing mechanic?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer

in terms of my three favourites:
- typical "no true Scotsman" ****e about Awakening
- I actually liked the Avatar in FE12, and s/he is actually the only way to get any characterisation out of most of the so-called "real" characters
- okay yes I did cry a little in Chapter 5 of FE4

The only ones I'd say are wholly accurate are 6 and 8 (though I can't comment on the Tear Ring Saga games).

I love this game, and I think you should definitely play it at some point, but it is quite different from what you'd be used to from the GBA ones, and might take a while to adjust to. If you can, try not to spoil any of the plot - though the pairing mechanic (which is sort of connected to the plot) is pretty important to succeeding in the later chapters. Not that you can't win without it, but it helps a lot.

Last edited:

fe_wander

Smash Cadet
So far I've only gotten through FE7 and Sacred Stones. I've had to restart Binding Blade about 3 times now, but I'll keep at it!
I'm in the midst of a playthrough of FE4 now, and I'll have to echo what everyone else is saying--it's really good, but far different from what you'll be used to. I like the fact that it's so different, and I think any FE fan should give it a shot. The fan translation is a little shoddy, though.
It's not a very hard game when you know what you're doing, but there are a few moments that are pretty tricky, especially if you're going in blind.
I had a hell of a time dealing with Eltshan, and recruiting Arya/Ira can be pretty annoying, for two examples.
I'd recommend looking at a pairing guide, just so you know what to do there. It shouldn't spoil any plot and it's really helpful in the second half of the game.

I find this really amusing... They made The Legend of Korra into a crappy Fire Emblem clone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf4pUzWjUZM

It has the elemental weakness triangle square and everything... only it looks really awful and the battle animations are lazy.
I could see myself playing that game. I never really cared much for the battle animations anyway. After playing through the game I just want to get to the next turn after I am donえ with my current turn. I bet the story will be sort of... bad. But, again the gameplay is more important to me. Since it seems to have taken the game engine for FE13 I suppose it would still be fun. Depends upon how they do the enemies though and formations.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So....I dunno if this was known here or not, but Awakening's ROM has been decrypted and people have been digging through it to find hidden or unused/removed content.

Serenes Forest has a collection of all that info here. Some notable info includes some unused character names, and some unused character sprites that imply that Myrmidons originally promoted to Heroes instead of Assassins, like they did in FE4/5.

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183

FE4 is quite good IMO, but it's not for everyone. It has a smaller number of chapters, but the chapters themselves are much bigger and always have multiple objectives. The inventory system is also somewhat controversial(there's no true trading mechanic, the only way to trade weapons is to pass them through the Pawn Shop).

Do you already know about the pairing mechanic?
I died at Awakening's description

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431

I almost laughed out loud at BS Fire Emblem's description. The Sacred Stones description was so accurate that it hurts.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to prepare for FE1?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I almost laughed out loud at BS Fire Emblem's description. The Sacred Stones description was so accurate that it hurts.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to prepare for FE1?
Turbo mode will be your friend.

Also, maybe try watching MK404's LP?

Edit:

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
FE10: Forget everything you know. Sums up the experience of that game for me.

Wyvern no bow weakness, armies switch, thunder sucks, thief jeigan,THREE TIERS~, no more weapon triangle, battle saves :D (psych for hard mode), black knight being difficult, Naesella isn't a bad guy, Olivier's magnificence, xD bunch of other stuff. Oh and npcs actually being good (3-13)

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yea Radiant Dawn. I did forget everything I knew.

It did so much stuff that I never saw in a previous FE game. Supports are gone for generic supports, there are very less paired endings, crossbows, controlling multiple parties at multiple times, and obviously the infamous 3-13. I could never hurt the the powerful "enemy" not because I couldn't but because I would absolutely not. Plus I would have had to waste exp on the Dawn Brigade....

Plus I hate the artificial difficulty introduced in hard mode. Taking away Battle Save and making the enemies tougher is good AND expected, but having to manually count the range of the enemy is just tedious.

So accurate! Although I still use the random mode in FE9, it feels good to get really lucky.....

Plus all that hate for Micaiah...

Now just to get another lord like Ephraim or Hector.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
How can Ephraim be anyone's favorite Lord if Hector exists?
Hector is cool and all, but I personally count at least three (Lucina, Sigurd, Ike) above him, and Lyn his equal.

Will agree on the more-Lords-without-swords idea though.
yeah. I'd like to see an archer Lord myself. Though they'd probably still give him a sword anyway (since you can't really let the lord get cornered by close-range enemies - though that would be an interesting situation).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
You're linking me to my own site's direct competitor? Though I don't believe we cover those games currently, so I'll let you away with it... for now :p
Forgive me master. I shall now say nice things about Awakening as penance.
Yeah, I keep forgetting Tear Ring Saga even exists. I must try it sometime. *looks for translation patch*
Er...you may not want to do that. The current translation patch is....honestly kind of a mess.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Berserkers using only swords? I do not recall this.
Yes, in FE3 Berserkers were basically heroes with a different map sprite and different bases.

There's also only one of them in the whole game. He's just chilling in that desert chapter in Book 2.

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
So bought Fire Emblem Awaking and was really surprised when they told me about supports in the first chapter, has it always worked like that? Playing Path of Radiance it never clearly say it so i'd just unlock the supports randomly.

Also does picking Robin's Asset and Flaws make a difference in the long run? know I should just play the game but that opening tutorial really gets me thinking if i'm gotta be slow at learning magic or something.

If the first few scenes are everything to go by this will be a great game so glad you can pick classic from the start.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
So bought Fire Emblem Awaking and was really surprised when they told me about supports in the first chapter, has it always worked like that? Playing Path of Radiance it never clearly say it so i'd just unlock the supports randomly.
I guess it's because supports are much more important in this game, so it wants to get you in on them early.

Also does picking Robin's Asset and Flaws make a difference in the long run? know I should just play the game but that opening tutorial really gets me thinking if i'm gotta be slow at learning magic or something.
Once you start going, like most other games, it probably won't matter too much. It mainly affects your early game, and what the most suitable classes for Robin are (you aren't going to go sage with a magic flaw, for example). In terms of stats they affect base stats, growth rates, and caps, so your flaw will generally grow much slower, and your asset will probably gain a point at every level up (if your asset is HP it can even gain 2 points).

I've played through FE Awakening twice now, and really enjoyed it. Now that I've been introduced to the series, which FE games would you guys recommend next?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The GBA games are probably your best bet, specifically Sacred Stones, which has a few similarities to Awakening such as the world map and branching promotions. If you can get hold of it without spending an arm and a leg, Path of Radiance is good too.

The GBA games are probably your best bet, specifically Sacred Stones, which has a few similarities to Awakening such as the world map and branching promotions. If you can get hold of it without spending an arm and a leg, Path of Radiance is good too.
Sounds like a plan. Thank you.

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
Only other one was Path of Radiance but I like the mercenary setting it gives you a different point of view then the normal kings and queens, also like the animal race but i'm sure they're in every game.

Thanks for the tips guys stuff really picked up fast.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer

The S-Rank Run Begins
So. I have completed chapter 11. Hector has gotten speed at every level and Matthew has gotten strength on his only level. No bad levels thus far which is pretty swag considering that I got like 4 and they're on two good units to have them on. The real test begins with chapter 12 though. Chapter 11 is purely RNG with no Lyn Mode on Matthew.

Last edited:
Top Bottom