• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Smash 3, a Brawl/Melee tournament, Apr 19th, San Antonio TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamelot

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure that would be more than OK but if I remember correctly, I believe I heard Cliff, the store owner, make a statement about how if you did not pay to enter the tournament, you were not entitled to play any free friendly matches on the TVs.
If enough TV's and systems show up... we can set up friendly games in the back room. Should be enough space there for about 10 TV's. I have plenty of power strips also.

Good Luck to everyone that attends.... I am trying to get some door prize support for ya'll from BlockBuster.... A good friend and customer of mine is a regional manager. More on this later... :):):):)

Kal

Smash Champion
Kyle, is the initial post up-to-date? In other words, is it correct that 33% of the pot will go to the venue? Also, will it be for each tourney, or only singles?

Also, is there any way you can confirm whether or not there will be a Melee tournament about a week before the tournament begins?

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Whoever posted this obviously is out to ruin me, please get a life.

I have out of town since Friday on a trip to my friend's cabin, where I have not had internet access. So don't take anything posted here in this spot.

Kal

Smash Champion
Well, at the first tournament, it's merely that no one knew of the fact that 1/3 of the pot was being kept for the house. So it surprised everyone that they were only getting $67 when they should be getting $100.

Really, whatever money you decide to keep, we can't complain about, so long as you tell us beforehand. And the best way to tell us beforehand and still get us to agree to go to the tournament is most definitely to have a door-fee.

Masterer Betty

Smash Journeyman
man look at this ****ing ****. fu mosqutio you lying son of a *****. I knew there was a reason I didnt like your punk ***. Taking money from the pot is downright greedy son, one of these days some1 gonna beat the **** out of you

forkgirl

Smash Lord
the whole entry fee/pot debate is overall just us going back and forth trying to compromise what we think would be a fair price for us to pay and what you guys and gamelot as a business think is a fair amount for your labor/venue/etc.

just wanted you guys to know that i dont mean anything personal when i bring up venue fee or whatever. regardless of whether I agree with how you do it, i'm still greatful for the tournaments you guys host. just so you know ;D <3

ooooh, question...alright, i dont know how you decided to do it, or if you're doing the 2 separate fees for brawl and melee...but what if i JUST want to do melee teams and brawl teams?? no singles. even though i'm just doing the two events (similar as if someone was JUST doing brawl singles and brawl teams) do i still pay the 2 entry fees since one is brawl and one is melee???

Gamelot

Smash Rookie
Venue fees and tournament organizer compensation

Hey everyone! :)

I hope the following helps clarify how a game store and the person organizing the tournament can provide your Smash community with friendly tournaments on a regular basis.

Venue fees: These fees pay for the utilities, rental space, extra people to assist during the event for the game store.

Tournament fees: The person organizing, advertising, and reporting the event is compensated for their time, supplies they purchase among other small costs associated with the event.

We have provided Smash tournaments since January 2007 for the Smash community. I believe we have provided exceptional service for events at Gamelot. Gamelot is dedicated to providing your community with a clean and spacious store. We do not charge outragous fees for our services.

Felix and Kyle have worked diligently these past 15 months to provide the Smash community with tournaments that are fun and held as regualrly as possible. It is unreasonable and unrealistic to demand they work these events for FREE. I have not seen any other Smash players stand up and take on the responsiblities for doing the work they have. Kudos to both of them for all the hard work!!!

I will post a suggested tournament fee structure in a later posting.... :)

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Whoever has been posting in my account needs to **** off and get a life.

I have been out of town since Friday on a trip to my friend's cabin, where I have not had internet access. The closed thread was not made by me.

dochimself

Smash Rookie
Betty Prevails!!!

Hey everyone! :)
Felix and Kyle have worked diligently these past 15 months to provide the Smash community with tournaments that are fun and held as regualrly as possible. It is unreasonable and unrealistic to demand they work these events for FREE. I have not seen any other Smash players stand up and take on the responsiblities for doing the work they have. Kudos to both of them for all the hard work!!!

I will post a suggested tournament fee structure in a later posting.... :)
first of all, i don't disagree with you taking money out of the pot being the store owner, however there are other alternatives, such as traders planet or other stores that i'm sure will not take 1/3 of the pot. imo thats way too much, seeing as the guy running the tourney is getting money as well, so it makes the pot smaller for the players. second a lot of plp would make tournaments for free, and not charge a single penny. plp such as myself/betty/forkgirl/chickenwing/mark and the list goes on. back in the day when we used to run tournaments, we were doing it to promote the game and start up a smash community in san antonio, not for money purposes. its really not that hard to run a tournament, and skeet's taking money for himself because hes "running" the tourney is wrong!

Masterer Betty

Smash Journeyman
I agree w/ this guy who just posted. By the way it appears that Dochimself and myself both live in the same city, What are the odds of that happening

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
first of all, i don't disagree with you taking money out of the pot being the store owner, however there are other alternatives, such as traders planet or other stores that i'm sure will not take 1/3 of the pot. imo thats way too much, seeing as the guy running the tourney is getting money as well, so it makes the pot smaller for the players. second a lot of plp would make tournaments for free, and not charge a single penny. plp such as myself/betty/forkgirl/chickenwing/mark and the list goes on. back in the day when we used to run tournaments, we were doing it to promote the game and start up a smash community in san antonio, not for money purposes. its really not that hard to run a tournament, and skeet's taking money for himself because hes "running" the tourney is wrong!
1st: stop acting like you are so "sure" of other places. I've looked into it, and other places take 50% of the pot. TPs is included. Of course, Preacher makes up for it in door prizes, but he keeps the fees low, so it's a low pot to begin with.

2nd: I'm not just "running" I'm advertising, taking player feedback, making sure people got rides or when their flight came in, searching for housing, answered a million questions. Cliff just lets me use the place. He doesn't help in running the tournament. He'll answer any questions I have though, and give me the occasional hand.

3rd: Please get out of here with this "holier than thou" attitude. I haven't heard anything good about Chickenwing either. He made ****ed up rules for Gamer's edge, and according to Preacher, fudged a Halo tournament he held at a pizza place not too long ago. You guys didn't even show up on time for the TP's tournament you helped to start. I had a long talk with Preacher, and he agrees with me that running a tournament is not so simple, it takes work. For all of those who say running a tournament is "not that hard" never held one or put any effort into it. Just look at the Kishes (FC) or Ken's family (OC2). They would laugh at you saying it was easy to run their events.

After Bluefork stopped doing tournaments, the only people that would hold anything was Felix (guy behind Smashalots) and me, plus the occasional Trader's Planet. All around Texas, people were growing tired of there being nothing but wimpy little tournaments never getting more than 20 people. Scav got people's hopes up with the MOAST circuit, but that never came through (gee wonder where that money he collected for went lol). So since I couldn't go to OC 3 or FC or anything big, I worked my *** off to get the big names to come down to Texas, not once, but twice. Yes, I did it for the love of the game, because I put a lot of effort into it, trying to please everybody. Cliff decided to share a little bit of the money he made with me, and seeing how much work I was putting into this, I really saw no problem with it. If I wasn't taking it, it was going to the store regardless. Me not accepting the money wouldn't change anything.

There is no logical reason to condemn me earning anything out of doing these events. It got put back into the tournament one way or another. It covered the office supplies that I bought, the cords that someone is always taking from my gamecube, I gave gas money to Florida so they could get back home, and it gets spent on the after party buying booze for everyone. If you're saying that you could hold an epic tournament for free, be my guest. Go tell the guys at MLG or other major organizations their job is also wrong because they earn money running tournaments.

dochimself

Smash Rookie
I would say something probably demeaning and cruel, but I might be on probation and I don't want to make a new email address for a new account
you should say it anyways betty. ill make your new email address for you lol.

skeet stfu. if you would really do it for the love of the game you wouldn't take any money just for running the tourney. what you need to do is get a job and quit leaching off of tourneys. I heard from sauce that in the last final smash you ended up taking more money than the actual players that participated. idk about therest of you guys but that's f u c k ed up...

Kal

Smash Champion
At the first final smash, there were roughly 70 participants. At a fee of $15 per participant, that makes the pot $70*15, of which the store owner took 1/3, which is $70*5 = $350. He gave you 1/3 of that (ie. 1/9 of the entire pot), which is $116.67. You're telling me that you had $116.67 worth of stuff stolen from the first tournament, Kyle?

Mr.C

Smash Master
At the first final smash, there were roughly 70 participants. At a fee of $15 per participant, that makes the pot $70*15, of which the store owner took 1/3, which is $70*5 = $350. He gave you 1/3 of that (ie. 1/9 of the entire pot), which is $116.67. You're telling me that you had $116.67 worth of stuff stolen from the first tournament, Kyle?
OUUUUUUUUUUUUCHHHHHHHHHHHHH

dochimself

Smash Rookie
lawl

*looks at skeet*
pwned!

chickenwing2k2

Smash Apprentice
i'm sorry. but i'm going to get in on this one....

1. Try running a tournament yourself. do it on a monthly basis...the planning, the paperwork, the time off to get the word out to your local players.

2. (this applies to those of you that have a job) Once you're done with that, take time off, in which you don't get paid for...(tho it is nice to get the time off)

3. Do it on a consistent basis...weeklys or monthlys. Hold a venue for the spot, find the equipment and so on.

4. Kyle DOESN'T (and i stress that word alot) have to tell you weather he makes any money or not. As a general rule...if you do plan on making money, then you can't participate in the tournament. OR, if you have people that help you, then pay them as well.

5. Usually TO's use their profits to benefit the tournament, (like extra cash for 1st place or feeds YOU all that didn't bring money to eat...like they buy ALOT of pizza)

So, kal....as a TO normally i don't disclose weather or not i make money @ any tournamet. BUT, as long as the money i make doesn't come from the actual prize money that you should earn....YOU (and everyone else that this applies to) don't any say to what goes on with the stores money.

Gamelot chooses to house these tournies for you all. they don't have to. but it's a business, now since it seems like you got some sense in the peanut brain of yours, i'm pretty sure that you can understand that gamelot is still a business. And businesses need to make money somehow. so if you REALLY have a problem with that...then don't show up. Period. Don't cry like a little *****. either. Take it...or if you choose not to come, then...well...idk....stay @ home and watch vids of other players so you think you can get better

so....to sum it all up...

1) Stop *****ing
2) Get over it
3) run your own tourney
4) Betty, Ben, Doc, Mr. C, Kite....i'll see you @ FS3!!!

Kal

Smash Champion
So, kal....as a TO normally i don't disclose weather or not i make money @ any tournamet. BUT, as long as the money i make doesn't come from the actual prize money that you should earn....YOU (and everyone else that this applies to) don't any say to what goes on with the stores money.
At FS2, we couldn't care less about what happened to the door fee. They gave Kyle 1/3 of it, I'm sure, which is fine with us. That's because it wasn't money from the tournament pot.

Gamelot chooses to house these tournies for you all. they don't have to. but it's a business, now since it seems like you got some sense in the peanut brain of yours, i'm pretty sure that you can understand that gamelot is still a business. And businesses need to make money somehow. so if you REALLY have a problem with that...then don't show up. Period. Don't cry like a little *****. either. Take it...or if you choose not to come, then...well...idk....stay @ home and watch vids of other players so you think you can get better
Wow, did I say that Gamelot can't make money in any of my posts? The ad-hominem attack is cute, but you've just proven your lack-luster thinking skills with this post. Way to go, you've failed to note:

I've said that Gamelot needs to make money, and should.
I've said that Gamelot shouldn't make money with our tournament pot, but should instead charge a door fee.
I've said that Kyle doesn't deserve any money from the tournament pot, because it's not his venue. He's not explicitly losing money by hosting the tournament.

Perhaps you should try and pay attention to what it is we're actually against. We don't care if they take money from us at the door, because that's fair, and we all enter the tournament knowing what we can and can't win. On the other hand, when they take money from the tournament pot, the players that place higher (or at least, in the money) typically lose more than the players who don't place high.

Also, note that at FS1, we had no idea there was any percentage of the pot being kept for the venue, and so the fact that Caveman made $420 instead of $630 (a $210 difference) upset people.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I'm really thinking of canceling, thanks to this thread turning into nothing but spam. Don't close this just yet Drew. I really want to salvage this ****, probably under a different name.

Kal, get a ****ing life already. Pot or not, it's not stealing if I was given something. Stealing is taking something that is not mine. I don't see Caveman or anyone that WON complaining. Only those who didn't place at all seem to raising a huge fuss about this.

EDIT: Thanks chickenwing. It's tough to get through to these guys that running an event takes time and effort.

After all, does anyone remember the pizza at Final Smash 1 and 2? Yeah, that's right..... it came out of the money I "stole" in your eyes.

Next time, a few people will not be getting any free pizza.

chickenwing2k2

Smash Apprentice
nice comeback kal...but do take note on these little details...

1) i wasn't at FS1 or FS2...so i don't know the history of those tournaments nor did i mention them in my post
so using those to justify defense is irrelevant.

2) if Kyle failed to mention that a part of the TOTAL amount that you donated was going to the store. Then that AND ONLY THAT is his fault. Other than that, now you know about the tourney fees from here on out.

So next time try to come up with something intelligent before you make a defense. All i was basically saying since you wanted to be cute and post your mathematical equation up there.....to quit ur ****in crying already. Kyle now knows what he did wrong...(in the sense of not telling people where the money went) Nothing more

other than that....shut up. You ***** more than my GF does....

Kal

Smash Champion
Kyle, drop the ad-hominem attacks. They serve no purpose.

No one even used the word stealing. Whether or not what you did was stealing is just semantics. You're right that you did not "steal" anything from the pot, but you refused to tell anyone before hand that there was 1/9 of the pot you were receiving. And that is, for many people, equivalent to theft. And while I may not have placed high, the fact that those who did are not arguing the point means NOTHING. You realize that you received more than 10% of the pot, Kyle? That's equivalent to an entire payout.

Stop contradicting yourself. You post that you didn't make any money, then later try and retcon what you said with "it's not stealing." Face it, what you did wasn't justified, in most of our eyes, because you didn't deserve the money, and you could have told the establishment that you wanted that 1/9 of the pot to be kept in for winners of the tournament.

nice comeback kal...but do take note on these little details...

1) i wasn't at FS1 or FS2...so i don't know the history of those tournaments nor did i mention them in my post
so using those to justify defense is irrelevant.
No, it's not irrelevant. The point of my posts was that the 1/9 of the pot he was receiving was bull **** if he says it's to compensate for any of his losses. And I showed that.

nice comeback kal...but do take note on these little details...2) if Kyle failed to mention that a part of the TOTAL amount that you donated was going to the store. Then that AND ONLY THAT is his fault. Other than that, now you know about the tourney fees from here on out.
Exactly. I'm not in disagreement. If I go to the tournament knowing that he'll take 1/3 of the pot for the house and keep 1/3 of that 1/3 for himself, I've got no right to complain.

So next time try to come up with something intelligent before you make a defense. All i was basically saying since you wanted to be cute and post your mathematical equation up there.....to quit ur ****in crying already. Kyle now knows what he did wrong...(in the sense of not telling people where the money went) Nothing more

other than that....shut up. You ***** more than my GF does....
You basically have argued nothing in either direction. No one is in disagreement with the fact that, come tournament day, if you sign up for the tournament knowing how it will be run, you have no right to complain, because you have the right not to enter.

Stop with the insults. They're pointless, and you can articulate all of your points without them. If you need these insults to articulate a point, then you really shouldn't post.

chickenwing2k2

Smash Apprentice
nah doc...i quit the tourney scene to basically get my life straight. Remember, you saw me @ SAC...i was ACTUALLY going to school lol. Nah I'd just thought i would get in touch with the old skool players from GE and play around with you guys. I'm definately not good. So me donating to you all may not be as fun as i may want it to be. Plus i'm leaving for Cali near the end of the month anyway. So i need to save up lol. BUUUUUT if you got $10 or whatever the pot is for me to play...i'll definetaly do that just for old times!!!

btw, anyone that's over 21...MAJOR Party and drinking after the tourney! I will BUY a drink for the winner!!

Kal

Smash Champion
Kyle, you should just have this thread closed, and make another one with exactly what you're planning on doing for the tournament (in terms of what events will be run, as well as fees), and have that one closed immediately. =/

Kal

Smash Champion
Kite, we never had our money match in Melee.

If I go to this, want to play for $5?

chickenwing2k2

Smash Apprentice
kite if it's @ a bar....the no. If not...then i'll think about it!!! lol as long as you share with me and ONLY me!!!

dochimself

Smash Rookie
nah doc...i quit the tourney scene to basically get my life straight. Remember, you saw me @ SAC...i was ACTUALLY going to school lol. Nah I'd just thought i would get in touch with the old skool players from GE and play around with you guys. I'm definately not good. So me donating to you all may not be as fun as i may want it to be. Plus i'm leaving for Cali near the end of the month anyway. So i need to save up lol. BUUUUUT if you got $10 or whatever the pot is for me to play...i'll definetaly do that just for old times!!!

btw, anyone that's over 21...MAJOR Party and drinking after the tourney! I will BUY a drink for the winner!!
where is this party at chicken? I don't mind drinkin it up lol

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm really thinking of canceling, thanks to this thread turning into nothing but spam. Don't close this just yet Drew. I really want to salvage this ****, probably under a different name.

Kal, get a ****ing life already. Pot or not, it's not stealing if I was given something. Stealing is taking something that is not mine. I don't see Caveman or anyone that WON complaining. Only those who didn't place at all seem to raising a huge fuss about this.

EDIT: Thanks chickenwing. It's tough to get through to these guys that running an event takes time and effort.

After all, does anyone remember the pizza at Final Smash 1 and 2? Yeah, that's right..... it came out of the money I "stole" in your eyes.

Next time, a few people will not be getting any free pizza.
HOLY CRAP! PIZZA! That obviously makes everything better. IIRC there were only like 2 box's of pizza. Maybe 3. And you ate some as well. Whats that like..$15? You sir, are amazing.

At the last D-pad tournament, I bought a pizza and gave like 5 slices away for free...

The only money I won that tournament was my entery fee into teams back for getting 3rd. I gave the extra money to my teammate...who I bought in might I add.

I guess I'm just a better person then you.

lol.

Edit: I would rather have there be a door fee.

sos246

Smash Journeyman
yoyoyo what's up chicken? I thought you died or disapeared lol. what have you been up too? how did you find this? who told you about this? was it betty? if it was I think drew should give him an infraction for it XD
after hitting on that guy at GE chickenwing did indeed dissapear lol ah good times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom