• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Smash 3, a Brawl/Melee tournament, Apr 19th, San Antonio TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
That's not a reason and you both know it.

I think the layout of Distant Planet is stupid but that's not enough justification for a ban.

You can avoid the cars on PTAD if you know where. It's strategy.

Brinstar's stage layout is neutral, and the acid isn't that dangerous since everyone is floaty. I've been ****ed over by the cloud on Yoshi's far more than Brinstar.

This isn't Melee, so the same exact rules aren't going to translate.

Norfair; you can grab the ledge and stuff for the lava, Marth can counter it, and I think you can shield it.

Mr.C

Smash Master
DOH your levels are horrible lol

All I got to say is never add Port town even getting hit into those cars causes you to die 60-70% its really dumb, never add Skyworld you get gimp killed by the edges and its a tech fest, Luigi's Mansion is horrible ...plain and simple. Distant planet also messes up landing lag on most characters its a pretty crappy stage. There really isn't anything wrong with Picto for cp though.

I wouldn't mind most of the levels to be counter pick besides the ones I pointed out above but neutral stage selection is fine......neutral stages are suppose to be "neutral" lol =]

sos246

Smash Journeyman
WOW and i thought i had bad level picking skills for tournaments lolololol

i luv u doh.

oh and i need a partner. cough mr. c cough double dedede cg tower hehehe

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
How are the cars any worse than Jungle Japes' klaptrap? At least they don't kill at 0.

We need to test out levels like Luigi's Mansion and Skyworld before we straight up ban them.

Mr.C

Smash Master
You just camp the edges in Luigi's Mansion and be completely safe from projectiles and tech anything as long as the 1st level isn't destroyed, no testing needs to be had for that level lol.

Ya sos good idea lol

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Oh and Bluezaft, I sure don't see any major Dallas tournaments coming up, so STFU.
I don't know how it's relevant, but there is a Brawl/Melee tournament coming up the weekend after this one. The last one these guys hosted had 43 entrants, and that was just for Melee. Brawl is incredibly popular and the entrants will definitely break 50 this time.

Yeah, that definitely wasn't relevant. I'm not even sure why you said it.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
2 entry fees?? i think this will make people choose between brawl and melee, instead of entering both, which will make both tournaments smaller.

Kal

Smash Champion
That's not a reason and you both know it. .
Woah, woah. The "and you both know it" argument is compelling and all, but I was just kidding.

Honestly, the stage is just too different from what most people consider fair random stages. Basically, for a stage to be neutral, it has to have no hazards and have a floor, a ceiling, and no walls. The stage also has to prevent any sort of game-breaking or overpowering mechanic. By a "floor" I of course mean that you can die off of the bottom. You can on Brinstar, but not always, and so it's probably not going to be picked as a random stage.

I talked about it with forkgirl yesterday on AIM:

Each game will be treated as a different tournament. You would pay a 5 dollar venue fee for Brawl, or a 5 dollar venue fee for Melee. Singles and Doubles would both be 10 dollars for both Brawl and Melee.
Your posts are ridiculous. Why would you charge for Melee and Brawl seperately? I just don't understand. The idea is to charge us for using their electricity, but we won't use less electricity if we only sign up for one tournament. You're basically charging us twice as much just because the ******* who runs the store is greedy?

And don't forget that many people will make a decision to only sign up for one tournament.

A second matter I am proposing, at least for Brawl, is a higher 7 dollar venue fee UNLESS you provide a wii+game or a TV. I know wiis will be tough to gather up.
Why don't you just let people enter the store (not the tournament) for free if they bring a TV?

Gamelot

Smash Rookie
" Computer area is for paying customers only. There is now a LAN gaming area, with a plethora of games (sorry, no Starcraft) but only if you pay. You can expect to get kicked out if you go back there without paying. "

We have 15 computers in our LAN gaming area. All have internet access, but myspace is blocked for network security reasons.

Games: WOW MMORPG, WOW III, Call of Duty 4, Starcraft, Dawn of War, and several others.

Normal LAN usage fees: $3.00 hour, New account set up $10.00 (includes 4 hours ), ALL day pass $15.00.

SMASHER"S Special offer price: $ 15.00 (includes new account setup and ALL day pass: Noon Saturday April 19th to noon Sunday April 20th.)

Hope to see ya'll there ! :)

Masterer Betty

Smash Journeyman
So $15 to play some lame games that I can play at my house awesome

btw you said no starcraft, yet you have it listed in the games that you can play.

Gamelot

Smash Rookie
Your posts are ridiculous. Why would you charge for Melee and Brawl seperately? I just don't understand. The idea is to charge us for using their electricity, but we won't use less electricity if we only sign up for one tournament. You're basically charging us twice as much just because the ******* who runs the store is greedy?

And don't forget that many people will make a decision to only sign up for one tournament.

Why don't you just let people enter the store (not the tournament) for free if they bring a TV?

Let's break this quote into several sections for Gamelot's reply.

Why would you charge for Melee and Brawl seperately? I just don't understand.
A: I agree. One venue entry fee would be fine.... easier to maintain accountability for money and paying players.

The idea is to charge us for using their electricity, but we won't use less electricity if we only sign up for one tournament. You're basically charging us twice as much just because the ******* who runs the store is greedy?
A: First off.... If you attended the last tournament at Gamelot and witnessed the 120-140 people that attended... YOU would realize that our store is perfect for any Smash event! Clean bathrooms, lots of space, arcade, LAN center, 14+ restaurants within 5 mins walking from the store... Not to mention lots of parking and OPEN 24 hours on the weekends!

Also, Gamelot had three extra employees on duty both days that weekend... 3 employees x 12 hour shift = 36 hours x 2 days = 72 hours x $7.00 per hour = $504.00. YOU do the math and tell me again how greedy we are.

You're basically charging us twice as much just because the ******* who runs the store is greedy?
A: I don't see the need for the name calling. You can ask any of my customers anytime you wish.... Greedy is not a word they use to discribe myself or the customer relations of Gamelot.

Kal

Smash Champion
Also, Gamelot had three extra employees on duty both days that weekend... 3 employees x 12 hour shift = 36 hours x 2 days = 72 hours x $7.00 per hour = $504.00. YOU do the math and tell me again how greedy we are.
Oh, no, $504!? Wow, that's awful! Except that, with 120 people entering and a $5 entrance fee, you make $600. So why were teams (a much smaller event) raked the following day? Why did you rake the teams event in spite of the fact that we were told that there would be no percent of any tournament pots kept for the house?

Pay attention to the context of what I say. I did not say that you can't make money, nor did I say that it was wrong to charge us. As a business, it's expected that you would charge us. My point was that you should charge us around the amount of what is necessary. In other words, if your costs run to about $500, charging 100 people a $5-$7 entry fee would be reasonable. Charging 100 people a $15 entry fee, on the other hand, would be over-the-top.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Kal if you don't like it don't go. I understand what you are saying but then you realize Gamelot is his business and he makes the rules. If you don't like the rules then don't go to Gamelot, pretty simple.

And people the man is running a business and last time I checked it costs a lot of money to run a business. He was generous enough to hold several smash tournaments, not many places will even let you use their place for under 300-500$ for the day. If he takes money from the entry fee or the pot who cares as long as it isn't ridiculous and everyone is there playing smash and having fun. There isn't anything wrong with paying $15 to enter a smash tournament getting first and winning 200-300 dollars, smash isn't a job, its a game.

EDIT: Kyle you should seriously just make this a Brawl tournament, unless there are enough people there wanting a Melee side event or something.

Gamelot

Smash Rookie
Oh, no, $504!? Wow, that's awful! Except that, with 120 people entering and a $5 entrance fee, you make $600. So why were teams (a much smaller event) raked the following day? Why did you rake the teams event in spite of the fact that we were told that there would be no percent of any tournament pots kept for the house?

Pay attention to the context of what I say. I did not say that you can't make money, nor did I say that it was wrong to charge us. As a business, it's expected that you would charge us. My point was that you should charge us around the amount of what is necessary. In other words, if your costs run to about $500, charging 100 people a $5-$7 entry fee would be reasonable. Charging 100 people a $15 entry fee, on the other hand, would be over-the-top.

You should think about the context of your posting before you post. Nowhere does it state that we are charging $15.00 entry fee for any smash tournament in any thread associated with Gamelot.

FYI... The second day of the aforementioned tournament... Gamelot received ZERO money from the players... I actually gave that day as a freebie ... And yes i still provided everything i could to make it a good event!

Kal

Smash Champion
You should think about the context of your posting before you post. Nowhere does it state that we are charging $15.00 entry fee for any smash tournament in any thread associated with Gamelot.

FYI... The second day of the aforementioned tournament... Gamelot received ZERO money from the players... I actually gave that day as a freebie ... And yes i still provided everything i could to make it a good event!
I recall a percentage of the teams pot being kept for the venue.

The context of my post seems difficult to address here. So much so, that I'm not understanding your rebuttal. Actually, it seems like you're only trying to use an argument I made previously against me, which won't work; I've got enough reading comprehension skills to understand my own posts. I was giving an example of what a ridiculous fee would be compared to what a fair one is. In no way can you interpret the context of my post otherwise, because I explicitly made the statement a hypothetical (through use of the word "if"). Where does the word "context" apply? Typically, the word comes up in arguments when one misuses a quote, whose meaning is derived from its context. The meaning of "if your costs run to about $500, charging 100 people a $5-$7 entry fee would be reasonable. Charging 100 people a $15 entry fee, on the other hand, would be over-the-top." seems independent of any context.

Mr.C said:
Kal if you don't like it don't go. I understand what you are saying but then you realize Gamelot is his business and he makes the rules. If you don't like the rules then don't go to Gamelot, pretty simple.
Wow, really? Thanks! I had no idea I had the freedom to just not go to this tournament.

No where did I, nor Gamelot, say that anyone had to go to this tournament. When you come in and tell me that I don't need to go, it's just a condescending ad-hominem attack. The fact that I can choose whether or not to go in no way argues for what amount of money is fair to be taken from us.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531

And people the man is running a business and last time I checked it costs a lot of money to run a business. He was generous enough to hold several smash tournaments, not many places will even let you use their place for under 300-500$ for the day. If he takes money from the entry fee or the pot who cares as long as it isn't ridiculous and everyone is there playing smash and having fun. There isn't anything wrong with paying $15 to enter a smash tournament getting first and winning 200-300 dollars, smash isn't a job, its a game.

EDIT: Kyle you should seriously just make this a Brawl tournament, unless there are enough people there wanting a Melee side event or something.
Thanks Robbie. You're the first person to support me on this. The hardest part of running a [good] tournament is finding the common ground that satisfies everyone. The cost has to satisfy both the players and the owners. Players shouldn't have to pay too much, and the owner should be fairly compensated.

Kal, your argument starts to lack credit when you state the amount as ridiculous. That's just your opinion, and I've already stated that other stores charge more, and Cliff will even say that the second days event indeed were run for free, it's true. So if you choose to come anyways and just be a jerk, you're not welcome, just like you would not want a unruly person to be in your own home.

Oh, and I will be updating the first post. Brawl is the main event, and Melee is only going to happen if enough people sign up for it (I'm thinking at least 8 or 16 as a minimum to get it going). 4 tournaments is too much for one day. I still will need support in wiis/games.

FYI: make sure you have all stages+characters+the extra rules. Sadly it seems impossible to transfer data on a SD card. If worse comes to worse, I suppose a dice can be used, with 1-6 applied to each neutral.

Kal

Smash Champion
Kal, your argument starts to lack credit when you state the amount as ridiculous. That's just your opinion,
Everyone who reads my posts should realize that anything not explicitly factual is my opinion, unless stated to be someone else's.

and I've already stated that other stores charge more,
Which, as I've already stated, doesn't justify a large rake.

and Cliff will even say that the second days event indeed were run for free, it's true.
I recall Tink and Dope losing money in teams because the events were not run for free. I could be wrong. But I'll be sure to ask around to confirm whether or not the event was run for free.

So if you choose to come anyways and just be a jerk, you're not welcome, just like you would not want a unruly person to be in your own home.
Have I been any trouble at any of your past tournaments? Or at the tournaments SoS has held? Or at the Betty tournament?

No, I haven't. Don't think that my arguing with you about whether or not a certain percentage of the pot being taken will somehow effect how I act at the tournament. If I choose to go, I'm not going to treat anyone with less respect than usual.

Honestly, I'm not even seeing where this ad-hominem attack is coming from. You and I both know we don't like each other, and while this may be the first time either one of us has made that fact explicit, making an (what appears to be) arbitrary statement about how I would go to your tournament and "just be a jerk" (as if that's all I'd do when I got there) is unnecessary. When it comes down to it, all of these arguments between us are just words. Don't assume that these arguments will boil down to me being "unruly" at the tournament if the percentage of the pot kept by the house doesn't go my way. I'm not that immature.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I'm referring in particular to your vocal attitude at Trader's Planet. The owner was confused why you came. It wasn't very respectful to continuely hound the people playing the game by calling it trash. It was also hypocritical. While it's not something to warrant giving you the boot, it's not wanted.

Kal

Smash Champion
But that's not even relevant to what's being discussed. It's just an ad-hominem. You can discuss something like that with me in private. You know what my myspace account is, probably my E-Mail address, my AIM SN, and you can get my number from SoS if you don't already have it. So why throw out an irrelevant point like that? It's just insulting.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Ok I'm almost positive I can make this. Kyle, I'll bring my wii and copies if I do. Everything's unlocked.

Also guys, just drop the whole percentage thing.... Honestly, it's childish to continue complaining about it going into the 3rd tourney of the series. It's just spamming up the thread, and it's going to happen regardless of a few people's complaints. Just pay the money, smash it up, and have some fun.

P.S.
I'm taking a good amount of $5 money matches on both games.
Tourney style rules and strictly $5. :)

Kal

Smash Champion
I'd play for more, but I'm awful at the game.

If I make a bit of money before the tournament, I'll play you for $5. :)

S_A_TOWN

Smash Rookie
is there a charge for strictly viewing the tourney? I just want to see the competition b4 i put money on my skills.

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord
is there a charge for strictly viewing the tourney? I just want to see the competition b4 i put money on my skills.
I'm pretty sure that would be more than OK but if I remember correctly, I believe I heard Cliff, the store owner, make a statement about how if you did not pay to enter the tournament, you were not entitled to play any free friendly matches on the TVs.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
UPDATE!!!!!

I am going to win Brawl Singles and Doubles. 1st place.

Kal is going to win Melee.

GGNOREKTHXBAI.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Wow, really? Thanks! I had no idea I had the freedom to just not go to this tournament.

No where did I, nor Gamelot, say that anyone had to go to this tournament. When you come in and tell me that I don't need to go, it's just a condescending ad-hominem attack. The fact that I can choose whether or not to go in no way argues for what amount of money is fair to be taken from us.
Sitting here complaining when you will go regardless is fun isn't it?

quit yo **** jibba jabba.

Dojo

Smash Champion
I'd play for more, but I'm awful at the game.

If I make a bit of money before the tournament, I'll play you for $5. :)

Hah I'm awful too. Money just makes it more interesting. :)
But it sounds good.

Lol and I dont understand why betty wastes his time talking **** to everyone and the game and he doesn't play it? :psycho:

forkgirl

Smash Lord
I've decided to go if no money is taken out of the teams pot. i guess thats all that really affects me, so i guess its in your hands

Kal

Smash Champion
Sitting here complaining when you will go regardless is fun isn't it?

quit yo **** jibba jabba.
You're just being a condescending jerk, Mr. C. Don't assume I'll go. If an unfair percentage of the pot is kept for the house, don't expect to see me there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom