• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Smash 3, a Brawl/Melee tournament, Apr 19th, San Antonio TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
HOLY CRAP! PIZZA! That obviously makes everything better. IIRC there were only like 2 box's of pizza. Maybe 3. And you ate some as well. Whats that like..$15? You sir, are amazing.

At the last D-pad tournament, I bought a pizza and gave like 5 slices away for free...

The only money I won that tournament was my entery fee into teams back for getting 3rd. I gave the extra money to my teammate...who I bought in might I add.

I guess I'm just a better person then you.

lol.

Edit: I would rather have there be a door fee.
Dude there was like 8, each coming 4 at a time. And any decent pizza costs 10. It wasn't papa John's or Caesar's.

But I'm not going to argue about. I'm trying to work out the best possible solution to satisfy the players, who aren't exactly entitled to a certain amount, and the venue/TO, who need to be compensated for the time, electricity and effort. It's the venue's decision who gets what. In fact, one solution could be a fixed prize (trust me though, I don't like that idea at all).

Point is, cry and complain all you guys want, but nothing gives you the right to determine where the money is going, unless something different happens from what is originally stated. You can't really argue what the prize should be unless you're the host.

Expect this thread to be closed when I have a new format. Plus this tournament needs a new name, as I don't want Final Smash 3 to be nothing but this stupid bickering you guys started. Also it might get pushed back.

chickenwing2k2

Smash Apprentice
after hitting on that guy at GE chickenwing did indeed dissapear lol ah good times
lol....good times....yea...he saw my *****....and well..uh...not more to say there....he was impressed tho. he was all like" OMGWTFPWNED!!!!! I CAN ACTUALLY SEE IT!!!!"

dochimself

Smash Rookie
If you call it BETTY II im still not going
if skeeto names the tournament after you, then you hae to go betty. I bet some n00b would pay for you entrance fee or something.
we can also name it after the guy running it. how about kyle the pot stealing jew? or maybe mosquito I or mosquito>betty lol

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
if skeeto names the tournament after you, then you hae to go betty. I bet some n00b would pay for you entrance fee or something.
we can also name it after the guy running it. how about kyle the pot stealing jew? or maybe mosquito I or mosquito>betty lol
How about the trolls present a half *** tournament with only 3 wii's that they don't even show up to on time?

I'm going to make it very clear soon the consequences of trying to bully the guy running the event like it was yours. It's trying to tell Gaming company X to make X remake on X system. They don't have to listen to you.

Just because you claim wouldn't do it, doesn't make it ethical. That's like saying because I don't smoke, it's unethical.

Besides, for the last time, it's not stealing.

Kal

Smash Champion
No one says that it's unethical because they wouldn't do it. They're saying they wouldn't do it because it's unethical. The converse of an argument doesn't hold just because the argument itself holds.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
I'll go to this because I like playing against you guys and ignoring the drama.
gg Kal on logic, the argument really is that simple.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
No one says that it's unethical because they wouldn't do it. They're saying they wouldn't do it because it's unethical. The converse of an argument doesn't hold just because the argument itself holds.
Ummm... whatever, Mr English Major. It means the same **** thing. Ethics is not a clear cut field. It's mutha****ing philosophy, where nothing is black and white.

PS Did you really even need to post that?

Kal

Smash Champion
Ummm... whatever, Mr English Major.
I'm a math major. The fact that you think I'm correcting your grammar when I'm correcting your logic should be an indication that you might not have everything figured out.

It means the same **** thing. Ethics is not a clear cut field. It's mutha****ing philosophy, where nothing is black and white.
No, it doesn't mean the same thing. When you say "if something is unethical, then I don't do it." You're making an if-then statement; in formal logic, that's called "material conditional," which we typically represent with an arrow pointing to the right in between the algebraic representation for two statements. In other words, if a and b represent statements, then a -> b is the material conditional "a implies b." It's true when a is true and b is true, when a is false and b is true, and when a is false and b is false. In the case where a is true but b is false, the material conditional a -> b is false.

The statement you were making was "if I don't do something, then it is unethical." This statement also makes use of the material conditional. The difference, though, is that when you look at the truth tables of the two statements, you'll notice that they're different. In other words, it's not correct to say that the statements "I don't smoke, so it is unethical" and "it's unethical to smoke, so I don't do it" are logically equivalent. If you need me to make a truth table of the two argument forms, I will.

As a simple example, consider the statement "I live in San Antonio, so I love in Texas." The converse of that is "I live in Texas, so I live in San Antonio." The former statement is true, while its converse is false.

PS Did you really even need to post that?
I don't need to post anything. But I'm not too happy with you trying to justify taking ("accepting") money from the pot with a converse error. If you want to try and justify what you did with logic, that's fine. But don't respond with a hissy-fit when your logical fallacies are identified.

Masterer Betty

Smash Journeyman
How about the trolls present a half *** tournament with only 3 wii's that they don't even show up to on time?

I'm going to make it very clear soon the consequences of trying to bully the guy running the event like it was yours. It's trying to tell Gaming company X to make X remake on X system. They don't have to listen to you.

Just because you claim wouldn't do it, doesn't make it ethical. That's like saying because I don't smoke, it's unethical.

Besides, for the last time, it's not stealing.
whine moar

sos246

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, chances are I may go for Brawl.

With that said, I'm up for money matches.
Also, I play other fight games, so I wouldn't mind money match in other games as well. Except for CvS2, that game is garbage.
cvs2 is garbage but yet you want to enter a brawl tournament? wtf is wrong with you. gg ac cvs2 3s sc3 st and melee ftw brawl ftl

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
K, so since Kal probably isn't going to this, who wants to team with me?

Kal

Smash Champion
Hylian, don't be silly.

I'll be there if there's a Melee event. And I'll team with you in Brawl.

But if there's no Melee event, count me out.

Kal

Smash Champion
I finally got a copy of MVC2. I don't understand it all. I just want to play Megaman and Jill, but they're apparently "bad." Though I can't see why. I feel like a n00b that thinks Roy's better than Marth. :(

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Hylian, don't be silly.

I'll be there if there's a Melee event. And I'll team with you in Brawl.

But if there's no Melee event, count me out.
Since I'm sticking with a five dollar venue fee, Melee is kinda likely, but not until teams nears being over. Don't expect Melee doubles, like Hylian said 4 tournaments in one day is out of the question.

Seriously I need a new name for this! I want to make the new thread for this.

FYI Here is the new pricing. I told you guys it would cost more and here is the basics:

5 dollar venue fee covers everything

15 for singles (12 if you bring a wii+Brawl)
10 per team (no discount)
10 for melee singles or crews or all judgment hammer I don't know. Player interest will determine the outcome.

And that's alll folks. I don't get anything out of it, so I'm not "stealing" anything either. This also means I won't be able to slack off over anyone who hasn't paid the venue fee. No Wristband means GTFO. Also, no more outside food or drink. If you go to Church's or something, you can't bring it in, so leave a cell phone so I can call you for your match. DQing will be in greater force this time around.

All I want is a new name for this. Final Smash 3 should have more prep time and a more established community. Plus TGM wants to partner up for it, and have it set in the summer. So consider this tournament a testing ground for new ideas.

Masterer Betty

Smash Journeyman
I finally got a copy of MVC2. I don't understand it all. I just want to play Megaman and Jill, but they're apparently "bad." Though I can't see why. I feel like a n00b that thinks Roy's better than Marth. :(

They don't have any ublockables, infinites or 50% combos. plus all their assists suck

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Since I'm sticking with a five dollar venue fee, Melee is kinda likely, but not until teams nears being over. Don't expect Melee doubles, like Hylian said 4 tournaments in one day is out of the question.

FYI Here is the new pricing. I told you guys it would cost more and here is the basics:

10 for melee singles or crews or all judgment hammer I don't know. Player interest will determine the outcome.

And that's alll folks. I don't get anything out of it, so I'm not "stealing" anything either. This also means I won't be able to slack off over anyone who hasn't paid the venue fee. No Wristband means GTFO. Also, no more outside food or drink. If you go to Church's or something, you can't bring it in, so leave a cell phone so I can call you for your match. DQing will be in greater force this time around.

All I want is a new name for this. Final Smash 3 should have more prep time and a more established community. Plus TGM wants to partner up for it, and have it set in the summer. So consider this tournament a testing ground for new ideas.

Yay $5 venue fee. Thats what we wanted kyle.

Also, make the title, "Try to beat Hylian at brawl".

lolololololol.

Seriously thought don't make it that =/.

How about...

"Kal is good at math - A melee/brawl tournament?'

or

"Everyone loves pizza! A Brawl/Melee tournament

:)

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Yay $5 venue fee. Thats what we wanted kyle.

Also, make the title, "Try to beat Hylian at brawl".

lolololololol.

Seriously thought don't make it that =/.

How about...

"Kal is good at math - A melee/brawl tournament?'

or

"Everyone loves pizza! A Brawl/Melee tournament

:)
FAILURE (aww...)

CONTINUE?

Try harder people. Something like an acronym is a good start.

Or, DoH won't be there to run this tournament, this **** is ****ed!
Need I remind you that you SCREWED UP THE POOLS BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE WEREN'T PUT IN IT?

I'm never letting you draw them up ever again, or at least not letting Tio do it. The Kishes do it by hand every year, and that's way it will be should be if I get something big enough needing pools up again.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
"Slave labor: you get what you pay for." -Lisa Simpson

So if you aren't going to make DoH do your work for you, who ARE you going to make do your work? Because apparently you can't.

Kal

Smash Champion
Name the tournament "Let's see how long this lasts."

Because I don't think Brawl will last very long.

Gamelot

Smash Rookie
Kyle, for a new name..... try Brawl at the Alamo!! :)

1. These prices for tournament entry are not higher than before.
2. $5.00 venue entry does not cover everything. this $5.00 pays for utilities, tournament
space, extra Gamelot staff for the event.

And that's alll folks. I don't get anything out of it, so I'm not "stealing" anything either. This also means I won't be able to slack off over anyone who hasn't paid the venue fee. No Wristband means GTFO.
It baffles the senses why the smash community expects and demands these tournaments be organized and run for free! Kyle works **** hard on tournament day for you; yet, everyone gives him grief for his efforts.

Also, no more outside food or drink. If you go to Church's or something, you can't bring it in, so leave a cell phone so I can call you for your match. DQing will be in greater force this time around.
This decision was prompted by the behavior of smashers at the last two tournaments
leaving half empty cups, spilled sodas, half eaten meals everywhere.

There will be an eating area set up at the front of the store.... You can eat there. NO food or drinks will be allowed in the tournament area... Period.

Food from restaurants will be allowed... NOT snacks and sodas from home or the convenience store.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
It baffles the senses why the smash community expects and demands these tournaments be organized and run for free! Kyle works **** hard on tournament day for you; yet, everyone gives him grief for his efforts.
You're not a part of the smash community, so you wouldn't have known, but there is a difference between a store or business taking a profit from and tournament and a member of the smash community taking a profit. Our community prides itself on being very tight-knit, friendly, and generous. No tournament host that is a part of this community is expected to take money he did not win by placing in the tournament--he is supposed to do it for the love of the game. Just the fact that Kyle thinks he deserves money for hosting a tournament is incredibly insulting. It's a huge betrayal to all of us and it really shouldn't come as a surprise that he's well-hated now.

I've run probably 2 dozen local tournaments in Dallas the past couple years, as well as a handful in San Antonio before that, and I've never charged a dime for "labor." This is exactly what hundreds of tournament hosts all over the world do. Exceptions like Manacloud, who took money for himself at OC3, is now estranged from the community.

The worst part is that Kyle DOESN'T work for his money. He prepares for the tournament, but during the tournament itself he just gets other people to run the thing for him (FS2 he had DoH, Xelic, and TGM running the entire thing while he did practically nothing).

I would be happy to attend FS3 but I am unwilling to pay Kyle money for it, so Dallas won't be going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom