• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Fantasy Dissidia

UncleSam

Smash Master
:)
Tidus and ExDeath are broken.
What r u talking about ExDeath is not broken
I had the game imported, its so awesome!
mirrorbladezen, do you have this game? you seem to know what ur talking about. tip about shantotto, have magic pot as a summon(not auto) let your opponent break you with a brave attack, when they go for an HP attack go out of their range, slow, summon, HP attack
I main Frionel btw

Gates

Banned via Warnings
What r u talking about ExDeath is not broken
I don't have the game, but from what I understand and what I've seen, ExDeath can basically win by blocking the whole time and doesn't really have to do anything. From an offensive standpoint, he's one of the worst characters in the game, but he is unrivaled in defensive power and a majority of characters have a hard time successfully approaching him. The only bad matchups he appears to have are Gabranth (since ExDeath has nothing to stop him from going into EX mode) and maybe Cloud (who, from what I understand, needs to force ExDeath to approach). A majority of the cast has attacks that can't be countered, but most of these are slow. There are even 4 characters who don't have any attacks that can't be countered at all.

Broken may be a stretch, but it's not that big of one. He's about as good as Sagat in SFIV or Sheik in Melee.

UncleSam

Smash Master
I don't have the game, but from what I understand and what I've seen, ExDeath can basically win by blocking the whole time and doesn't really have to do anything. From an offensive standpoint, he's one of the worst characters in the game, but he is unrivaled in defensive power and a majority of characters have a hard time successfully approaching him. The only bad matchups he appears to have are Gabranth (since ExDeath has nothing to stop him from going into EX mode) and maybe Cloud (who, from what I understand, needs to force ExDeath to approach). A majority of the cast has attacks that can't be countered, but most of these are slow. There are even 4 characters who don't have any attacks that can't be countered at all.

Broken may be a stretch, but it's not that big of one. He's about as good as Sagat in SFIV or Sheik in Melee.
Defense isn't a huge factor in the game, it only decreases the amount of Brave you get in an attack
plus I play long range (Frional's axe>everything)
I'm just saying he is not broken, his teleport leaves him wide open, and most of his attacks can easily be dodged, yet they are hard to block
Kefka is amazingly hard, yet my friends that have it say Butz is harder

Well what about Tidus,Hes the best character in the game.
His attacks are adequately predictable and his only long range r his blitzballs which follow you, its very annoying
in my opinion Garland is a very good character, but Zidane is the best? I don't use him much

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Tidus has many links from brave to HP attack combos.He is god on Aitr battles,in which Dissdia is more towards.EX mode takes care of most mages.His attacks are hard to punish in the Air if you know what you are doing.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Tidus has many links from brave to HP attack combos.
everybody does

He is god on Aitr battles,in which Dissdia is more towards.
His attacks are hard to punish in the Air if you know what you are doing.
1 dodge, using HP attacks in an Aitr battle takes more time than a brave attack so it is very easy to predict what your opponent is going to do when their right in your face
2 after any aerial attack, especially melee attacks have a cooldown period in the air leaving him open for a counter(take a look at cecil's aerial HP attack as an example, no not the one where he throws the beam of light at you)

EX mode takes care of most mages.
EX bursts takes care of anybody period

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
everybody does

1 dodge, using HP attacks in an Aitr battle takes more time than a brave attack so it is very easy to predict what your opponent is going to do when their right in your face
2 after any aerial attack, especially melee attacks have a cooldown period in the air leaving him open for a counter(take a look at cecil's aerial HP attack as an example, no not the one where he throws the beam of light at you)

EX bursts takes care of anybody period
Sure,everybody has Brave chaims to HP,But Tidus has the lowest risk of pulling it off.

He could use a brave attack instead.Anyone can guard>counter,Tidus just does it without as much risk as say,Seperioth,or most others.

EX modes are different for every character."Looks at Gabranth".

:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=939394&topic=48124513

UncleSam

Smash Master
Sure,everybody has Brave chaims to HP,But Tidus has the lowest risk of pulling it off.

He could use a brave attack instead.Anyone can guard>counter,Tidus just does it without as much risk as say,Seperioth,or most others.

EX modes are different for every character."Looks at Gabranth".

:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=939394&topic=48124513
I can't believe they put ExDeath on top at Gamefaqs I'd expect them to put characters with unblockable moves on top because well, they're unblockable *looks at firion and butz*
The only character with a risk of missing a Brave-HP combo is cecil
and Gabranth can only do damage with his EX burst (and I respect that)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
LOL GAMEFAQS

I stopped listening to GameFAQs for info on competitive games a long time ago.

There is a bunch of stuff on that tier list I disagree with. The main thing is Jecht. A lot of people whine about how he doesn't have a ranged attack, but that really doesn't matter much since he can approach safely with Jecht Block. He's an absolute beast at close range, almost unparalleled. A lot of people think that he's actually the best character in the game, and they have a substantial case supporting them.

I also don't see why Golbez and Ultimecia are so high and why Squall, Sephiroth, and Kefka are so low. This guy has a lot of poor reasoning. Sephiroth has a bad EX Mode and that makes him bottom tier? Seriously? He also brings up chaining into HP attacks, which, as we just discussed, everyone can do.

Personally, I'm more inclined to agree with this tier list from Dissidia Empowered:
Alrighty, this is my very first tier list due to some frame data, online battles, and several quirks each character had. This is nowhere near complete and yeah...just here it is.

Non-Equips Tier List v.01

God Tier:
- Jecht

High Tier:
- Bartz Klauser
- Terra Branford
- Kuja
- Zidane Tribal
- Warrior of Light

Mid Tier:
- Kefka Palazzo
- Tidus
- Cloud Strife
- Garland
- Squall Leonheart
- Firion
- ExDeath

Low-Mid Tier:
- Shantotto
- Sephiroth
- Gabranth
- Cecil Harvey (Dark Knight)
- Cloud of Darkness
- Cecil Harvey (Paladin)
- Onion Knight
- Golbez
- Ultimecia

Low Tier:
- Emperor Mateus Palamecia

Comments about this Tier: ExDeath of Text
- Gabranth usually would make people think he places higher, given how great his EX mode is and just how he has everything he needs to shut every character in the game down. The problem is...without equips, it's a lot of work to get there and even then...you only stay in as long as everybody else. This alone makes Gabranth mains having to work twice as hard to kill foes as say, any of the mid-class characters.

- ExDeath is up there because of him being the ultimate wall against all offensive classes. He's got a steep learning curve, but unlike Palamecia or such...he has what it takes to shutdown the cast. All his frame rates are nice, except mobility. Oh, and his EX mode is just stupid. >.> I will say though, some of his counterpick matches hurt him a lot (coughShantottoZidanecough)

- Jecht wins for now because of him being capable of blocking ANYTHING while on the offense (Jecht Block), his stupid priority in his attacks, guard breaking with BRAVE attacks (you don't even have to charge that long, or be in EX mode), heavy damage dealer into HP and yeah...just has everything you could possibly want in a character. I do hope it changes for now, and it sort of is. I'll have an analysis up later....

- Shantotto is NOT, and I repeat...NOT as good as people think. With no equips on, she's gonna suffer like crazy due to having a hard time landing her spells and if she whiffs or misses entirely; say goodbye! Being unable to abuse brave boosting equips makes her spells nothing more than a nuisance. The only viable way to boost the brave is hoping you land either Bio or Stop...and good luck with that. I will say though, Hold is a nice beat breaker.

Shantotto also hates melee fighters, so Squall and Jecht tear her apart. Not to mention punishing oriented foes like Sephiroth. Surprisingly enough, she seems to be the counterpick for ExDeath.

- Tidus has a lot of things going for him, and...against him too. For one, his hitboxes usually come after a dodge...so that gives him some trouble punishing properly. Most of his move's dodge frames are a tad bit too long, but I suppose they're compensated as they all pretty much link to HP extensions. To play him properly, you really gotta read the foe and anticipate when to dodge. When you get good enough, blocking for Tidus is his dodges. He literally can and will dodge everything that comes at him.

- Emperor is going to be one of the hardest characters to win with. He doesn't have any pressure relief other than dodging, as his melee brave attack sucks balls. Counterpicking is his way of winning and he absolutely HATES Final Destination type stages. His only two HP attacks may sound good in theory, but are really bad. Flare can be deflected by the entire cast, and Meteorite takes too long to execute (but is a sure hit if you get it.) Emperor mains have to work the hardest out of the whole cast in order to gain brave and to deplete HP.

- Onion Knight's hitstun is absurdly long, just like Golbez. The two of them eat combos that usually don't work on others.

I'm doing an Equips On tournament, which is even harder....but I do know the trinity of gods already.

In this order:
- Gabranth
- Jecht
- Bartz

Alrighty! Discuss.
The only thing I disagree with on this is ExDeath's placement. He's definitely High Tier material. Gabranth might also be mid-tier, but a majority of the cast beats him solidly so I'm not sure. Also, I don't think it's necessary to have a God Tier yet.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Man, it's just too cool to see these Final Fantasy characters ranked in a tier list. It's awesome.

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
Well one thing seems universal, that both lists place the The Emperor as the Melee Mewtwo/Brawl Falcon of Dissidia. Also between both rankings, the Father and Son of Blitz have a lot going for them and are pretty good. But wouldn't "God" tier imply a character who is too broken too be beaten? Is Jecht really that good, or did the user mistake "'God' Tier for "Top Tier"?

The DE tier list gives me a bit of hope for using Wol, but it sounds like Cecil will have to work extra hard to win.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Cecil (paladin)can spam long range, I learned that the easy way (countered whenever he attacked me)
and I actually think Ultimecia should be higher only because her magic swords can guard crush and she can break characters very easily, same goes for CoD

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I don't think Jecht should be in his own tier either. Even if he is the best character, the gap in power really isn't enough to merit a separate tier.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Argh. I was kind of hoping nobody would start discussing tactics and crap in this thread before it is even released in America. It pretty much destroyed the thread...

Putting aside God-forsaken tier lists...

It is just around the corner, folks. If you havent already, you should check out the soundtrack on Youtube. Some very beautiful remixes, and it also includes some originals, very GOOD ones at that.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Tier lists on Gfaqs pretty much suck.

You need consensus of people that know their character very well and can agree on certain decisions like matchups.

Just 'studying framerates' and some matches online wont cut it.

Beside, Dissidia probably wont have the following and dedication to have an healthy and serious competitive scene, so a tier list isnt needed at all.

Of course, Some characters are better than others, but the concept behind fighters like dissidia (X attack comboes to Y attack and thats it) doesn't really give has much as leeway as say, Smash where you have alot of freedom to combo.

Also the fact that pretty much everyone has an infinite.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I love you two. Finally the thread continues. I didn't want to double post.

I hate tier lists in general, but with this not even being a mothership game, it may not even matter. I won't be butthurt about placements. My future main is pretty much high tier anyway. lololol

kr3wman

Smash Master
I heard they were fixing stuff up (Infinites) adding cameo characters in cutscenes and shortened the tutorial so that it takes less time for the lazy average american (No offense) for the overseas release.

Of course I can't find the source but hey, it'd be sweet.

EDIT : Google is your friend >:3

They also mention that Dissidia 2 will depend on sales overseas (IE if they make enough money) I also read somewhere that the guy (Nomura?) really wants Kain(FFIV?) for the second one.

Deception

Smash Ace
Yeah, Nomura said he wanted Kain in Dissidia pretty badly. That's why Dark Knight Cecil has a spear instead of a sword. He also said if Dissidia 2 is made, Kain is in it.

As for tier lists, I really don't see the need. Most of the characters are pretty good. Kuja stands out as one the tougher ones due to him being able to maneuver easily and attack at the same time,.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Argh. I was kind of hoping nobody would start discussing tactics and crap in this thread before it is even released in America. It pretty much destroyed the thread...

Putting aside God-forsaken tier lists...

It is just around the corner, folks. If you havent already, you should check out the soundtrack on Youtube. Some very beautiful remixes, and it also includes some originals, very GOOD ones at that.
WOW, the FFIX Battle 1 remix sounds absolutely incredible.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
@Black Waltz: Agreed. One of the best next to FF9's battle remix.

And if Nomura wants Kain in so bad, I could predict other side characters appearing in the next Dissidia:

FF1 -( Probably nobody.)
Minwu or Leon - FF2
FF3 - (Never played yet to know.)
Kain - FF4 (established. lol)
Gilgamesh - FF5
Locke - FF6
Zack - FF7 (I hear Zack is Cloud's alternate outfit, but might have been a rumor)
Seifer - FF8
Beatrix - FF9 (She needs more rep. An awesome character, and Dissidia needs more females.)
Seymour - FF10
FF11 - (They already broke Taboo with Shantotto. lol)
Vayne or Doctor Cid - FF12

UncleSam

Smash Master
As for tier lists, I really don't see the need. Most of the characters are pretty good. Kuja stands out as one the tougher ones due to him being able to maneuver easily and attack at the same time,.
Kuja is such an annoying character in Dissidia he gets in the way and doesn't go away no matter how many times you try to hit him,
I'm spoiling the game aren't I... just a few more months people

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
It is natural for Kuja to be broken, I'm not surprised actually. I have to say, his Trance Form is GODLY.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Once everybody at my school realized how broken Jecht was, they All started using him...
I stick to Frionel and Kuja

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Once everybody at my school realized how broken Jecht was, they All started using him...
I stick to Frionel and Kuja
Frionel? You mean Furion or is that the Emperor's name?

Haha and yeah, it's competitive Brawl all over again.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Oh right. The Japanese names. For those who don't know:

Frionel = Furion
Butz (I lol'd) = Bartz
Tina = Terra

There are a few others.

Terra has a playstyle that fits me. She is like a Zelda ripoff and I love it. Bartz also has a fun playstyle.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Oh right. The Japanese names. For those who don't know:

Frionel = Furion
Butz (I lol'd) = Bartz
Tina = Terra

There are a few others.

Terra has a playstyle that fits me. She is like a Zelda ripoff and I love it. Bartz also has a fun playstyle.

Kefka is my "fun" playstyle, that multi holy is just pure ****, and when just playing for fun, just jump up to a corner and use it it's hilarious trying to see your opponent dodge it from a distance

Top Bottom