• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIFA World Cup 2010

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Not sure what kind of support this is going to get, but here goes..

With the Group Stage kicking off in less than two weeks, I thought it may be a good idea to have a place for World Cup discussion.

Straight off the bat, I'm gonna have to kindly ask all football haters to not bother posting. I don't care if the NFL, NBA, hockey or whatever is a better sport than football. I don't even mind it being called soccer. Let's just keep it away from being a soccer-hate thread.

Where are you from? Who are you rooting for? How do you feel about your countries group? Who are you picking to advance?

Personally, I'm an Aussie and I'm a little worried about our teams form coming up against Serbia on the 23rd of next month.

So if you are a football/soccer fan, have a chat with me.

L8as.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I'm from Ireland and I'm routing for Brazil.

As long as France get their cheating ***** handed to them I'll be happy.

Also,Pizza Hut over here have a deal on during the world cup,for every goal scored against France,they will give out that many free pizzas to anyone.

So basically if France lose 3-0 that's 3 free Pizzas for EVERYONE.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I'm from the US. I like a lot of teams, I'm pulling for Portugal and the US. I like a lot of other teams as well, though. Brazil, Argentina, Italy, etc. I just like the whole tournament, it's really fun.

Smash Master
What did France do?

I'm worried about USA's defense, but we have an easy group so w/e.

I don't like how so much randomization goes on for a once-per-4-years tournament with only 32 teams participating. IMO, shootout needs to be scrapped and the round robin groups need some sort of seeding.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Anyone but England. They. Never. Stop. Going. On. About. It.

What's that? You won the World Cup once? Congratulations. What's that? It happened almost half a century ago? Yet you still go on and on and on about it, constantly, every 4 years? Hmmm.

What's worse is they interpret our "Stop going on about something that happened almost half a century ago" as "We're jealous of you because you won the world cup". It's so annoying.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I was going to make a thread with the group tables and what not and update it as the tournament progresses but looks like you beat me to it.

lol England. Get your hopes up then lose at the QFs.

Spain to win it. Their football is out of this world.

Brazil's group is just unbelievable. Any two of Brazil, Ivory Coast or Portugal could qualify.

South Africa need a good run to really get the tournament hyped. The African nations will be out to make a good showing. Expect good things from Ghana and the Ivory Coast although Ghana will miss Essien.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I'm just hoping everyone is gonna be safe. Johannesburg is the world's most dangerous city xD; 25 murders a day...scary stuff

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I'm just hoping everyone is gonna be safe. Johannesburg is the world's most dangerous city xD; 25 murders a day...scary stuff
Add the fact that the African Cup of Nations this year was marred by the deaths of members of the Togo teams at the hands of armed militants and security fears over the England and US game, and it's really worrying.

This is the biggest sporting event in the world, and it brings a lot of happiness to people around the world. To have it tarnished would be horrible. But we always have these fears over major tournaments in the political climate we live in, but they often seem to pass by well. Here's hoping it goes well.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
As long as France get their cheating ***** handed to them I'll be happy.
Same here. <3 french smash, </3 french football.

Since I'm austrian I'm pretty neutral on the whole thing although I'm very exited. Spain look ever so strong but the Netherlands, Brazil and Argentina can beat them on a good say. Italy, Portugal, Germany and France all don't look strong enough to win this and I wouldn't be surprised if none of them will make it to the semis. England I'm unsure about. I hope they do well after everything their football scene went through.

I'm a little sad that Bosnia and Russia didn't make it. Both have formidable teams with lots of talented players. I will miss many of them during the world cup.

:059:

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
They didn't go through anything. They failed to beat Japan and only won because Japan failed harder and scored 2 own goals within the last 20 minutes.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
It's not even worth entertaining the idea that England will win it. They won't.

They'll get through the group stage.

They might get through the first KO stage.

They'll lose at the QF stage.

The English media will find a scapegoat, victimize them and ruin their lives.

They'll start hyping up the 2014 finals.

Rinse and repeat.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
The US unfortunately have a 0% chance of winning the world cup ever.

Messi is indeed a beast.A genetically engineered freak of a player.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
From Australia, Aussies have no chance of winning, just hoping they'll get through the group stages at least haha. Although we have Germany, Serbia and Ghana so that's going to be tough.

Argentina :)

HYPE, wait for this every 4 years.

S

smash brawl player 99021

Finally going to watch my first World Cup (seriously). I've never usually "watched" it, though I kept up with some scores. But this year, I'm gonna be all hyped and ready to watch.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
10 days hype hype hype.

23 man squads drawn up today.

Apparently no Walcott in the England squad?

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I will never understand how both the referee and the linesman missed not only 2 men offside,but a double handball.

I remember nearly exploding when it happened.
I cringe every time I see his little wrist tap to help the ball along.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Maybe no Robben too, everyone's dropping like flies.

Pep1to

Smash Journeyman
Im cheering for Brazil, Mexico and Honduras (being close to Guatemala lol). Many hard teams and Brazils group is not to be ****ed with.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I'm usually cheering for Germany when I am with my French friends, and France when I am with my non-French friends but this time, I think I'll only cheer for Germany, because the French team isn't charismatic at all.

I don't like the Spanish, Brazilian, Portuguese and most of all the Italian teams, but I fear they're all gonna place well, especially Spain and Brazil.

By the way, I created a forecast contest for this world cup on the french boards. I made it in French but also in English, so feel free to participate if you want =)
Details here : http://www.cubeforum.fr/viewtopic.php?p=75980#p75980

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Robbe is still going for those interested.

If we(the Netherlands) play at the same level as we did in the group stage during the EC and actually MAINTAIN that level, I think we have a pretty good shot to end up somewhere high, maybe even pull off a big surprise. I've got my fingers crossed.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i should visit the proom more. lol

from the us. i'm rooting for italy and germany.

i don't care for the brazilian and french

hope the usa goes far

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I wanna watch some matches in 3D! :)

I'm a World Cup neutral for the most part, except I never want Englan to win, along with a lot of other countries.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Forgot to mention I hope England pwns the USA, which they will most likely.

Top Bottom