• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[ FBT4 ] :: BRAWL and MELEE :: Results in the first Post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafles

Smash Lord
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudgebutttits I was really looking forward to this :(

edit: what's an adviser, and why do you need one?
Since this was at the University Wisconsin Oshkosh, and we were getting the space for free, and an adviser was required for us to be allowed to use the space. Basically it's just a UWO requirement from what I understand.

Tink

Smash Hero
noway we can switch the venue, or did you guys already try that?

edit: spikes post made it seem like you guys just couldnt get it over night =(.....i had hope <_<.

Wafles

Smash Lord
noway we can switch the venue, or did you guys already try that?
Spikes tried a church that he had used in the past, but no go there. They put in new carpet and they weren't willing to let people come in. The other venue would have cost 200 dollars per day, and would have required people to stay and pay for a hotel room overnight. No thanks.

There's really nothing we can do. There's no way we can put together housing, and find a new venue in a matter of only 3 days. =(

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Generally, the campus requires a faculty member or school-appointed adviser be on hand during the entire event, for legal/liability reasons. Campus administration agreed to let us be free of an adviser during the day, considering the unlikelihood that someone would be willing to stay awake all 36 hours of the schedule. However, they would not budge for the overnight portion of the event.

Zjiin

Smash Master
The other venue would have cost 200 dollars per day, and would have required people to stay and pay for a hotel room overnight. No thanks.
uh.... why is this a definite no? If peopel are being charged a $5 door fee, and you get about a hundered peeps, that's 500 bucks to cover two days+.

Wafles

Smash Lord
uh.... why is this a definite no? If peopel are being charged a $5 door fee, and you get about a hundered peeps, that's 500 bucks to cover two days+.
Housing would be a huge concern. Plus, it's less space. We didn't have 100 people coming to this, by registration counts at least.

We'd be better off trying to convince UWO to let us scratch the overnight, and get away without an adviser. But housing is a HUGE issue.

Tink

Smash Hero
im still confused by spikes posts =(.....why cant we just get rid of housing and go with what they said would be all good with no advisor?

edit: ya, i mean, it would be better to have a tournament with no housing, then no tournament <_<....i thought most people were from Wi anyway, and only people travelling a distance were coming for 2 days anyways.....thats like, 20-30 people.....i dont see this getting bigger then 50 people at a time <_<...

Zjiin

Smash Master
Housing would be a huge concern. Plus, it's less space. We didn't have 100 people coming to this, by registration counts at least.

We'd be better off trying to convince UWO to let us scratch the overnight, and get away without an adviser. But housing is a HUGE issue.
you weren't gauranteed 40 people for each touney? Becasue i was lead to believe this was of a good amount of interest.

So basically the tournemant is being cancelled becasue you don't want to make peopel pay for cheap hotels/

Zjiin

Smash Master
Also, can we get a headcount of how may people were relying on housing? A whole bunch of us werent even aware of the venue housing. It's only tuesday, and there's still time to make arrangements

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
Also, can we get a headcount of how may people were relying on housing? A whole bunch of us werent even aware of the venue housing. It's only tuesday, and there's still time to make arrangements
i agree, it doesn't take all that long to figure out housing.

Tink

Smash Hero
i mean, its not like were all 13-14 year olds here <_<.....we can find housing as long as the tournaments still up.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
If there's a way for everyone to find housing, I'll ask UWO if we can have an adviser-less tourney on Friday and Saturday, without the overnight. I'm not sure if that's possible, because at least the original plans were to have an adviser at ONE point. I can get an answer before 10AM tomorrow.

edit, I know I'd be able to house a handful of people, so maybe we can still get this going.

Zjiin

Smash Master
If there's a way for everyone to find housing, I'll ask UWO if we can have an adviser-less tourney on Friday and Saturday, without the overnight. I'm not sure if that's possible, because at least the original plans were to have an adviser at ONE point. I can get an answer before 10AM tomorrow.
Yeah, that would be the best way to go. There's a decent amount of peopel coming for only one day, so i think this housing situation is blown out of proportion. Always good ot take a headcount for informations sake.

I know you've had to do last minute venue changes in the past spikes, so i trust you will do everything in your power to help. If tomorrow you say it can't be done, then it can't.

[EDIT] Even if you can't do BOTH days, at least try to get one of the tourneys going. It might not be in my preferrence, but something is definitely better than nothing.

Tink

Smash Hero
offer them some venue money if they say no!!!!!\

edit: thanks for both spiked and waffles for still trying this....im REALLY looking forward to the weeknd...havnt played melee in FOREVERR! if you can only get 1 day, we could still do like, 1 melee event and 2 brawl.....its been done in Chi numerous times with little TVs even <_<...and if that was the case, i would bring 2 setupd with us just to make it more smooth.

BIG C

Smash Master
I mean even if you can't do both days. someone with a house or an apartment or someone with a friend who has an empty basement could hold the melee tourny friday at their place and possibly house for that night. then you could do saturday brawl at UWO.

Sago

Smash Lord
i think im the only person in mundungus car who actualy wants to stay for brawl so if they all leave could i stay at your house saturdaynight spikes ? ill sleep in the snow : D

Wafles

Smash Lord
Alright guys. It looks like we'er going to try and salvage something here. Don't keep your hopes too high, but Smash is simply too awesome to completely cancel without trying everything. I think it was right to make this announcement, but there's still some things to figure out.

Read the first post. I changed it. I wont be on AIM for a while or online on the forums. Any questions give me a call (920-257-6129)

Zjiin

Smash Master
I'm glad that something is now being attempted, and don't take it the wrong way, but i'm still pretty pissed that without people bitchin', you guys would have rolled over on the whole deal without thinking abotu just doing no housing.

Wafles

Smash Lord
I'm glad that something is now being attempted, and don't take it the wrong way, but i'm still pretty pissed that without people bitchin', you guys would have rolled over on the whole deal without thinking abotu just doing no housing.
I mentioned this to spikes before any of you posted anything. lol.

Ethan.

Smash Ace
I actually without realizing it planned something for Friday. Depending on what time this happens (if it still does) I will maybe be able to make it for the tournament. I'll come later anyways just to play friendlies.

Wafles

Smash Lord
I'm not gonna drag the point on, but this went from being 100% off to "posssibly maybe" after a few people voiced thier opinions.
I dont wanna drag that point on either, but yes, you guys really made me want to try harder. Housing is the only issue, and you guys are absolutely right that we can at least try to work something out.

Believe me, i've been stressing over this **** hardcore. =\

Wobby

Smash Apprentice
Ok, now I am confused lol. So there is a chance that this will still happen? I am from the Twin Cities region in Minnesota, so I kind of need to know the probability that it will happen, cause the drive is a long one and people are expecting me to drive.

Zjiin

Smash Master
I dont wanna drag that point on either, but yes, you guys really made me want to try harder. Housing is the only issue, and you guys are absolutely right that we can at least try to work something out.

Believe me, i've been stressing over this **** hardcore. =\
If you weren't stressed, you would be a poor tournament host, lol. I'm glad there's effort and everyoen appreciated all you guys can do.

Ok, now I am confused lol. So there is a chance that this will still happen? I am from the Twin Cities region in Minnesota, so I kind of need to know the probability that it will happen, cause the drive is a long one and people are expecting me to drive.
10am tomorrow is when spikes is meeting with people who can make or break this tourney.

kirbycpok

Smash Journeyman
yay at 11 im almost out of school
. . . . Anywho for brawl day im bringing a wii/brawl/tv so u can mark fatboy down for those if this event goes down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom