• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Anime?

ACSephiroth

Smash Rookie
Here are my top 4 Animes:

Elfen Lied: Very psychological and emotional anime that almost made me cry at the end of the series. It has pretty much everything, interesting characters, really good animation, decent plot, romance, horror, family, and lot of other stuff. And before anyone goes saying I got into it due to the overhype, I never even heard of this series when I stumbled across it OnDemand in my cable box. The only thing I like more than the anime is the manga, whichs spends more time on developing the characters and is at least twice as long as the anime is.

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex: I like this one due to its parallelism to what is going on today. The blending of 2d and 3d was extremely well done in this series. The action scenes in the series are rather intense. While this is mostly a political drama, there are still plenty of gunfights that go in between the psycho babble.

Azumanga Daioh!: All I have to say is this anime is absolutly hilarious.

Cowboy Bebop: I only recently started to watch to series but its catching on to me. The actions scenes are pretty good as is the animation. The whole show reminds me a lot of Firefly with the whole sci-fi meets a real time period thing. The characters are pretty cool too.

Other Animes I like:
Samurai Champloo
Death Note
Excel Saga
Evangalion
Shin Chan

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Elfen Lied: Very psychological and emotional anime that almost made me cry at the end of the series. It has pretty much everything, interesting characters, really good animation, decent plot, romance, horror, family, and lot of other stuff. And before anyone goes saying I got into it due to the overhype, I never even heard of this series when I stumbled across it OnDemand in my cable box. The only thing I like more than the anime is the manga, whichs spends more time on developing the characters and is at least twice as long as the anime is.
You hit the nail on the head. Elfen Lied is by far one of the most powerful animes I've ever watched. I personally took the strong messages about difference away from it. It covers a lot of ground in thirteen short episodes. I've never read the manga, but the anime is revolutionary by itself.

shinethezombie

Smash Rookie
My fav would have to be higurashi no naku koro ni. it is a great psychological horror that also makes you try to figure out a new killer every 2-3 episodes keeping it interesting.

or D. gray-man

shal

Smash Apprentice
once again i would have to say bleach and death note my 2 favorite anime. Although there's a lot of argument's for naruto vs bleach which is epic. When i went to the festival at nyc convention a lot of people wore naruto head bands and cos played it. I cos played the 5th captain on bleach (captain aizen sousuke)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
once again i would have to say bleach and death note my 2 favorite anime. Although there's a lot of argument's for naruto vs bleach which is epic. When i went to the festival at nyc convention a lot of people wore naruto head bands and cos played it. I cos played the 5th captain on bleach (captain aizen sousuke)
Aizen makes the series worth watching, period.

Good choice.

Miharu

Smash Hero
You hit the nail on the head. Elfen Lied is by far one of the most powerful animes I've ever watched. I personally took the strong messages about difference away from it. It covers a lot of ground in thirteen short episodes. I've never read the manga, but the anime is revolutionary by itself.
Didn't like it so much; felt that all the blood, however fake it may have been, was unnecessary. It could be a possible side-effect of my watching too many harem/school romance/etc anime but what have you >_>

As for now, I'd consider the best to be the first 20 or episodes of Death Note.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
^Agreed

Death Note started losing touch, like many long anime. The first and second season of Bleach was good, but it lost its touch after that (Emo Ichigo), and Naruto... explains itself. (Ironically, many anime that has 26 episodes tend to be better than the longer ones reaching 30+ or so. IMO)

For manga, its alright, you can keep reading w/out getting bored. Well, for me I finish a book with a crave for more.

Faux

Smash Rookie
My favorite anime by FAR is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It's the only mech anime I've liked, too. All the mechs were original and the fighting scenes were pretty to look at. Plus, it has Boota. How could you not like Boota?

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!?!?!

Cless

Smash Champion
^Agreed

Death Note started losing touch, like many long anime. The first and second season of Bleach was good, but it lost its touch after that (Emo Ichigo), and Naruto... explains itself. (Ironically, many anime that has 26 episodes tend to be better than the longer ones reaching 30+ or so. IMO)

For manga, its alright, you can keep reading w/out getting bored. Well, for me I finish a book with a crave for more.
It's because manga spaces itself out better and isn't subject to any random filler nonsense that goes with long shows so that they can keep their time slot or not catch up to the manga too quickly. Jump manga will usually be better than Jump anime, but I think I actually outgrew all these shonen shows everyone keeps mentioning. They just don't interest me anymore.

crosser43

Smash Journeyman
I don't like anime, i rather watch American made cartoons like Fairy OddParents and Spongebob or dramas like Law and Order, which is being sued by Captain Falcon for taking his trademark names of his right and left fists.
But I believe that Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh and Digimon are anime?
Pokemon up until the season with Trekko, Mudkip, and Torchic, it's been awesome, but now i think it suks.
Yu-gi-oh, first season was awesome, and then started getting boring.
Digimon, first season epic, all others fail.

I also watch a little Naruto, it's not that bad, pretty cool.
I also found a random anime while going through Youtube vids at the sections "what people are watchin" called Rosario + Vampire. It's pretty funny and awesome, but it's not for kids. You'll see what i mean when you watch it.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well recently I just got into this new Anime which btw I wouldn't really consider it a show here in America since I own these on DVD, but on topic it's called .hack/G.U. which is based on the video game character named Haseo logged in "The World" (I guess) but anyway it might not be as long a sequel as others such as Bleach (which I also love) but it's still god and I think people who like Anime should look into it and give it a watch

Cless

Smash Champion
crosser43, you just stumbled onto your first ecchi anime. Congratulations.

GigaKoopa, .hack/Roots is boring as hell just like .hack/SIGN is. The only reason for their existence is the set up their respective games. All they do in both shows is talk, and talk, and talk. The music in SIGN was kick *** though. That's one of the only things that kept me going with that show. Roots, I didn't care about.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
GigaKoopa, .hack/Roots is boring as hell just like .hack/SIGN is. The only reason for their existence is the set up their respective games. All they do in both shows is talk, and talk, and talk. The music in SIGN was kick *** though. That's one of the only things that kept me going with that show. Roots, I didn't care about.
*sigh*

Does everything have to be non-stop fighting and bloodshed to hold your interest?

.hack//sign's existential nature and interesting plotline is far more worthy of my time then say, Naruto's pointless violence.

But you know, it's ok if mindless violence is your thing, but don't discourage others with more sophisticated tastes.

Cless

Smash Champion
*sigh*

Does everything have to be non-stop fighting and bloodshed to hold your interest?

.hack//sign's existential nature and interesting plotline is far more worthy of my time then say, Naruto's pointless violence.

But you know, it's ok if mindless violence is your thing, but don't discourage others with more sophisticated tastes.
Yeah, that's why I said I lost interest in shonen shows. Yup, because I like Naruto. That's why I said I don't like shonen shows.

SIGN isn't interesting. It was made to set up the four games. They just talk about Tsukasa, Aura, and Subaru the entire time with good music in the background.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
SIGN isn't interesting. It was made to set up the four games. They just talk about Tsukasa, Aura, and Subaru the entire time with good music in the background.
That's just it, talking IS interesting.

Given the circumstances of the characters and the overall sophistication of the themes, there's plenty of interesting stuff to talk about, and they implement it quite well.

Again, if it's not your style, cool enough (never touch Serial Experiments Lain by the way), but SIGN is interesting, and it definitely isn't bad. It's just not your type of show.

Cless

Smash Champion
I remember most of it as random, idle chit-chat, but maybe I should rewatch the show. I was like 14 when I saw it.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Tenshi Na Konamaiki (Cheeky Angel):
Romance, comedy, action all rolled up into one. Sure the action is unrealistic, but I really adore this manga. P.S. The manga, not the anime; the anime is made of fail. I definitely like what Nishimori did to the "romance" which is 100% comedic relief until the very end. It's a pretty obscure manga however, probably due to the simple art style. My sister at first didn't want to pick it up cause of it.

Soul Eater:
It was actually made by Square ENIX. The action scenes in this manga/anime make Kishimoto look like a noob. Great storyline, and despite being shonen you could easily argue that the protagonist is Maka, who is a chick (and a kick *** one too). If you dig the whole soul reaping thing in Bleach you'll dig this one. This anime/manga is also pretty unknown, although I'm sure it won't stay that way, it can easily become the next Naruto/Bleach.

Naruto:
Naruto was good, until chapter 300 or so and it's gone downhill from there.

Rurouni Kenshin:
This one kicked Trigun in the rear end for best anime and manga of 2001. Definitely a must-read.

Please Save My Earth:
It's shojo, so you probably wouldn't like it. Although despite being a girl, I generally don't like shojo either but this is definitely not your typical shojo manga. It's a beautiful story with a tragic tint to it. But keep to the manga because the anime was off-key from it. (also unknown, which is a shame)

Cardcaptor Sakura:
No, I'm not talking about the CardCraptors, which was a horribly editted, horridly voice-acted, complete sexist change from the original anime, which I won't explain in detail because I'd make a wall o' text. I'm talking about Cardcaptor Sakura, which is my first anime love. This is the original anime/manga from where Syaoran and Sakura came from, which I find headdeskingly sad that most people do not know that (especially because I hate what Clamp did to their personalities in Tsubasa). Great manga and anime, you can't go wrong with what was originally intended to be a parody of the Magical Girl genre.

One Piece:
Because seriously, Pirates > Ninjas on this one. One Piece can make you scream like you just saw your great aunt naked in one moment, laugh your *** off onto the floor the next, and cry like a baby right afterwards. Although because of it's length, I don't recommend it unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
i thought .hack//sign sucked *** the first time i saw it(8th grade/freshmen in high school)

im getting ready to watch it again now that I have an appreciation for anime that engage the watcher with methods other than fighting etc. i will probly enjoy it.

Egro Proxy rly didnt have too much action and I thought it was awesome yay!

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
SCHOOL RUMBLE =P its probably the best anime Ive watched... Naruto and bleach bore me to death now...

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I remember most of it as random, idle chit-chat, but maybe I should rewatch the show. I was like 14 when I saw it.
Ahhh, ok, that explains it.

When you're really young it does seem like random idle chitchat (which to a degree there seemingly is, but it has symbolic value where it's present), but when you're older you realize that everything develops the themes.

Initially, I thought like you did, but then I really started paying attention to the content and realized it was all very relevant.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I never got into anime. I used to watch Dragon Ball and Zoids when I was younger, but then I realized that most anime is kinda... Repetitive. Giant robots, demons, swords... I lost interest.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Has anyone else here seen "You Are (Not) Alone?"
yup and i was pretty satisfied. the music was a main concern but they recaptured eva pretty well. i hope its uphill from here because i thought this was a wonderful start.

of course i recommend that ppl watch the whole series first. it provides foundation that made me truly appreciate the series as a whole.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
^ That's most of them?

Oh no, my friend, there is so much more than that.

(Ask Cless he knows more, lol)
By 'most,' I mean the mainstream kind. You know, the kind that someone not very into anime would be exposed to.

Really, I don't see the appeal of anime. What gets people so into it, may I ask?

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Really, I don't see the appeal of anime. What gets people so into it, may I ask?
Cause it's so huge. Really, anime/manga are like books; There's a huge variety, many different genres and target audiences, terrible and excellent. That's why anyone can like it.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
you can do things current CG would/could phail to do, lol.

like ^, its"...like books. There's a huge variety, many different genres and target audiences, terrible and excellent. That's why anyone can like it."

~rh

Smash Lord
Anyone like Mecha shows?

If you do, I'd advise you to check out:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan and Zegapain. Those shows are TOO POWERFUL.

Miharu

Smash Hero
By 'most,' I mean the mainstream kind. You know, the kind that someone not very into anime would be exposed to.

It's a nice alternative from your mainstream TV shows and so on.

And yes, Gurren Lagann is probably one of the best recent animes.

Hizkit

Smash Apprentice
I've only watched through a few anime series, it's not totally my thing, but Full Metal Alchemist is by far my favourite out of the ones of watched (these include Naruto and Bleach) it's possibly because the series is pushed on for too long (I think it's about 57 episodes) and doesn't require me to devote all my time to enjoy it. Plus it's slightly more believable, to an extent, than others.

Top Bottom