• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FAST 1 Results/Shoutouts Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pockyD

Smash Legend
but he "earned" more than he was given

if, on payday at your job (assuming you have a job; i don't really know much about you), they only give you $100 instead of the $200 you earned, I think it's safe to say that you'd be outraged. If not, then I'd like to hire you for some odd jobs around here :) I pay well

AfroQT

Smash Master
but he "earned" more than he was given

if, on payday at your job (assuming you have a job; i don't really know much about you), they only give you $100 instead of the $200 you earned, I think it's safe to say that you'd be outraged. If not, then I'd like to hire you for some odd jobs around here :) I pay well
I think "earned" doesnt really help your arguement to much here.
He played a game and made 1000, i mean its not like i want him to lose money, but its also out of everyones control (except for frames, who already made a decision). In the end, he still makes 1000, for having fun for 4 days (and not working, which is why i think earned isnt a good word for this).

W/e its already happened, its over, it should just be dropped.

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
He played a game and made 1000, i mean its not like i want him to lose money, but its also out of everyones control (except for frames, who already made a decision). In the end, he still makes 1000, for having fun for 4 days (and not working, which is why i think earned isnt a good word for this).

Agreed, good job making the money you made m2k:)

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I ****ing love Krystals, THANK YOU XYZ for Krystals.. We only have one in texas and its like a 3 hour drive from here... *crys*

AfroQT

Smash Master
you miss the point completely. It's about fairness, which this isn't.
The whole situation is unfair NOT just for you, next to 700 dollars had to be paid for something that a smasher COULD of stolen (a random kid could of as well). Should frames have to pay for that out of his pocket?

Before you respond (and i already know your gonna say yes), its clear we just view things differently, whether its our particular placing in the situation (obviously you lost more money then me), or just how we view the situation in its entirety. However what we can BOTH agree on its ever and done with/already happened/cannot be changed.

Honestly the fact that we're still discussing this blows my mind, but w/e.

pockyD

Smash Legend
My point is this. In the original tournament thread, the host outlined how much of each entry was going towards the pot, and how much was going towards venue fee. Therefore, people attended and entered, all the while keeping in mind that the winners would be given X amount of dollars (the distribution wasn't actually posted in the original thread, so it's entirely possible that m2k in particular didn't get screwed, but SOMEONE did). To go back and change your mind after the fact is no different from an employer retroactively changing your wages at the end of the pay period. It's dishonest and slimy.

He played a game and made 1000
How he got the money is irrelevant. What IS relevant is that he played by the rules laid out beforehand and earned the amount that was promised. If people buy raffle tickets for a full boat, and instead get a toy boat, you bet your *** they'd be upset. It's irrelevant that they did nothing except put their name in a hat and sit around - the rules stated that they'd get a boat.

i mean its not like i want him to lose money
I'm sorry if it's come across this way, but I'm not assuming any malice here, or making accusations of foul play.

but its also out of everyones control (except for frames, who already made a decision).
And the whole argument here is that the decision was wrong. "What's done is done" doesn't resolve anything. Maybe there's no way to give m2k the money he deserves at this point, but there is no doubt that similar situations will arise in the future, and it makes sense to me that people know the "right" things to do.

In the end, he still makes 1000, for having fun for 4 days (and not working, which is why i think earned isnt a good word for this).
It's plenty possible for people to enjoy their jobs. It's also plenty possible for people to not enjoy brawl (lol). Whether he liked the event or not is irrelevant - by the rules, he (and/or the other people getting paid out) should have been given more than they were.

awful, awful logic. Questioning "authority" is the basis of American society. And presenting personal viewpoints is the basis of internet forums.

Once again, I don't actually know the situation, so what I assume happened is that someone brought an xbox, it was stolen, and so the host decided to pay the price of the xbox out of the prize pool.

Given that this is the case, instead of what actually happened, one of two things should have transpired...

1) If the rules of the tournament made it clear that the host would be responsible for the setups, then the host or hosting organization needs to take personal responsibility. If I check in luggage with an airline, I clearly expect to receive my bags at the end of the trip. If not, it's up to them to figure out where it went, and/or reimburse me for any losses.

2) On the other hand, if there was no such promise, then the person who owns the xbox is at fault for being "irresponsible" with his possessions. If I just leave my bag at the airport McDonald's while I go to the bathroom and it's gone when I get back, it's no one's fault but my own. Does it suck? Sure it does, but that's life.

In no scenario would I involve a third person and make them pay for my losses. If your luggage gets lost, the airline won't make the guy sitting next to you share his clothes with you for the remainder of the trip

Edit: just to be clear, this isn't a "new" or "unique" situation.

At VLS last year, someone stole a decent portion of the prize money. You know what the organizers did? They paid out the expected amount anyway.

Just a few weeks ago, Mew2King (IRONY) had his wii stolen at a tournament. Was he reimbursed for it? Certainly not. Did he ask to be? I don't know for sure, but it's pretty clear that this incident has a drastic effect on his current outlook on the situation

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
it's cuz people are thieves, that's how life works, but I'm tired of it affecting me over and over when most of the time it's either completely out of my control, or partially my fault but also unlucky that the worst outcome always happens every time over the past year or so. It's not about the money, it's about the FAIRNESS, and this, is bull ****

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
HEY you guys know that part in Mario 64 where you go through the 70 star door without 70 stars? And like you start running up the stairs........only to realize that you are NOT GETTING ANYWHERE?!?!....and like you think that maybe there's an end to it, so you keep running for a little bit, then you hear the music loop and realize it was a waste of time?(unless you long jump glitch that thing is awesome)

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Anyway, Scar, you can act however you want. Everytime we've done this ****, it's been on your hands. You've ALWAYS started this nonsense.
I actually checked back to see how it started.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4247460#post4247460

All he says here that he dislikes about you is that you bragged, which is undeniable. See next two posts.

http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4111963&postcount=99

http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4112042&postcount=100

**** talking HugS DAYS into Brawl's release in the USA and saying how you went "everywhere" winning when you imported the game like 2 days after it came out in Japan....that's epic fail.

http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4249405&postcount=1701

Your post was significantly more insulting.

pockyD

Smash Legend

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
so like hypothetically speaking,

general question

lets say frames didnt have the money out of pocket(to pay the winners accordingly) at the tourney and then the 360 gets stolen. what else should he have done? He HAD to pay that lady.

Oh wait, he should've over drawn on his bank card or perhaps used his emergency credit card and put himself in debt. or maybe went to some loan sharks or maybe some street sharks.

for real, good**** mages and woz for paying pplz after that **** in mass, but I dont think that its fair to assume or suggest that frames shouldve followed suit. He financially may not be beast enough to replace some stolen money that some punks took

pockyD

Smash Legend
so like hypothetically speaking,

general question

lets say frames didnt have the money out of pocket(to pay the winners accordingly) at the tourney and then the 360 gets stolen. what else should he have done? He HAD to pay that lady.
pay the lady "now", pay the winners later

Oh wait, he should've over drawn on his bank card or perhaps used his emergency credit card and put himself in debt. or maybe went to some loan sharks or maybe some street sharks.
sure, pretty much

What's your stance here? I'd like you to declare who you believe SHOULD be responsible for it. Or you could just dodge and post nonsense about N64 games

for real, good**** mages and woz for paying pplz after that **** in mass, but I dont think that its fair to assume or suggest that frames shouldve followed suit. He financially may not be beast enough to place some stolen money that some punks took
Point is, as far as I can understand, he was responsible for the xbox. Things getting stolen at smash tournaments happens ALL THE TIME, and it should have been up to him to secure it, whether that means locking it up, sitting next to it all day, whatever.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
hahahahaha weirdest trash talk ever

Anything that the "community" is at fault for has to be charged to the host in this situation
hypothetically if a smasher....(umm lets use K0rn) got his camera stolen at an arbitrary major(umm lets say pound 3) the host would be charged? plz elaborate

pockyD

Smash Legend
hypothetically if a smasher....(umm lets use K0rn) got his camera stolen at an arbitrary major(umm lets say pound 3) the host would be charged? plz elaborate
No, because at no point did the host assume responsibility of the camera. If, for example, the tourney hosts had paid him for the right to use his camera throughout the event then failed to return it at the end of it, then maybe they'd be held responsible

If someone steals my wallet at a smash tournament, I'm not making the host pay for it. I'm wondering why I was such an idiot to leave the wallet lying around

But please, stop dodging the question. Of the people at hand (the venue owners, the host, and the winners of the tournament apparently), who do you think should be held responsible?

Edit: and if you want to hold the whole "community" responsible, then you have to charge everyone additionally, not take out of what people have already paid.

There's a reason venue fees and prize pot are often kept separate

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
sure, pretty much
are u serious? smash is great but I would never put myself into debt over something like that. technically there was no contract signed or ANY legal documentation stating that frames HAD to pay out the percents accordingly. With that being fact, I would gladly not put myself into debt or other financial trouble.

What's your stance here? I'd like you to declare who you believe SHOULD be responsible for it. Or you could just dodge and post nonsense about N64 games

Point is, as far as I can understand, he was responsible for the xbox. Things getting stolen at smash tournaments happens ALL THE TIME, and it should have been up to him to secure it, whether that means locking it up, sitting next to it all day, whatever.

yeah techincally it was frames fault for the xbox. he was responsible for it(the xbox stolen). I see it like this....

either frames couldve told that lady to **** off and pay ppl @ the tourney and get into some legal trouble(because i know there HAD to be some legal documents etc to getting the venue)

---or---

he could resolve with the lady and deal with pplz flaming him on boards and have to deal with M2K essays.

yeah so I think he did

A HYPOTHETICAL
lets be economical here and assume opportunity cost exist(like they ALWAYS DO).

if frames pays the lady and m2k(BECAUSE YOU KNOW HE WAS THE ONLY ONE CHEATED!!) then hes relinquishes opportunity cost outside of the situation. lets say frames lives in an apartment and had a bill to pay, oops now he can't pay his bill and then his cable/internet gets cutoff. As overkill lets say he has a paper and a project that he has to do and the fact that his internet was cut off lowers his capability to work and he gets a C and gets a chunk out of his GPA taken away and says goodbye to a scholarship.

point is, I truly believe if he had the ability to pay her and everyone that he would've. And that extremes such as going into debt are DEF not worth it.

edit:
<3 ARC

pockyD

Smash Legend
Sounds like someone learned a new term and is just itching to use it

For the record, the original tournament post does state precisely how much $$$ is going to the prize pot and how much $$$ is going to the venue fee. I have already clarified on multiple occasions that it wasn't necessarily M2K getting screwed, just one or more of the winners/potential winners.

It sounds like you're conceding that the missing xbox is the host's responsibility... if not, please correct me

If so, that's not much better than me hosting a tournament promising a 70% prize payout, then instead only paying out 30% because I need the rest to pay my rent because I'm poor. Not having the money isn't a true excuse when doling out responsibility. Debts aren't forgiven just because you don't have money.

He may or may not have done "the right thing" to himself, in that he's $300 richer than he would have been if he had assumed full responsibility, but that doesn't make it " right".

noodles

Smash Champion
why was there a 360 at this?

also itd be whoever brought the 360's fault for not keeping an eye on it IMO.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
For the record, the original tournament post does state precisely how much $$$ is going to the prize pot and how much $$$ is going to the venue fee. I have already clarified on multiple occasions that it wasn't necessarily M2K getting screwed, just one or more of the winners/potential winners.
Actually im just poking fun. I mean me and eggmaster got "screwed" too.

also as everyone knows, a thread on Smash World Forums is NOT legal documentation. I hope you are smart enough to know why such a thing could never be counted as legal documentation. If the lady were a close friend and wasn't apart of the YMCA and just gave frames the venue without ANY paperwork or anything then the situation wuold be different.

Sounds like someone learned a new term and is just itching to use it
no its basic actually, econ 101 son. ANYWAYS LAMO.....

It sounds like you're conceding that the missing xbox is the host's responsibility... if not, please correct me

If so, that's not much better than me hosting a tournament promising a 70% prize payout, then instead only paying out 30% because I need the rest to pay my rent because I'm poor. Not having the money isn't a true excuse when doling out responsibility. Debts aren't forgiven just because you don't have money.

He may or may not have done "the right thing" to himself, in that he's $300 richer than he would have been if he had assumed full responsibility, but that doesn't make it " right".
YES i am conceding that frames is @ fault for it and im sure hes been pretty apologetic about it himself.

that example does NOT have an extreme case or unlikely variable and therefore is not valid. The average joe would not hold a tourney if they were poor and had to pay a bill. Average joe however WOULD hold a tourney if he had the money to pay a bill. In the interest of average joe, the right answer was chosen. The lady couldve sued him or held him legally accountable. which is WAY worse than ppl barking @ him on the internet.

lastly bout debt, yes its not forgotten but @ least there wont be FEDS knockin @ his door and bills in the mail every month or check attachments. Average joe's choice(dealing with us smashboardians rather than TEH LAW) is the most logical choice for the long run which obviously has more weight than the short run. Theres no need for malevolent thought its just logic.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Once again, if you are arguing that the host did the best thing in his own financial interests, there's no doubt about that. He screwed the guys that can't legally fight back, and he's $300 richer

I'm uncertain why you're arguing that "now he has more money, therefore he is right"

don't lecture me about econ, and pre-emptively, i'm not your son

Mew2King

King of the Mews
you guys are STILL missing the point

IT'S

ABOUT

FAIRNESS

WHICH THIS IS NOT

O ****, I CAN PAY FOR IT NOW, THAT MEANS THAT'S A GOOD ANSWER

Swift your argument SUCKS ***, you're saying I should pay for it cuz I CAN. What GREAT logic. Hey Bill Gates, give me some of your money, because you are capable of doing it. Like, I obviously don't deserve it at all since it's for no good reason cept that I want it (which isn't a good reason), but you're capable of it, so do it. I don't mind loaning money but taking it from us from someone else's doing is not the fair thing to do.

You're entire argument is that it's best for him, which is correct

WOW GOOD ****, IT'S BEST FOR YOU

WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT

THAT MAKES IT THE BEST THING TO DO

minus respect for both of you

GUESS WHAT, I WORKED TO GET GOOD, I DESERVE EVERY PENNY I MAKE, BUT I ALWAYS GET SCREWED REGARDLESS LIKE HALF THE TIME WITH SOMETHING

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=429598247

what about years down the road, what if I'm financially in trouble in the future, or would like to use my money on something. OH BUT WAIT, I can't pay for it then. Hmmmmm, it's really FAIR to take money out of the promised people's winnings. Who cares about now, my life is going to be long, it is going to affect something in my life at some point. Even if it doesn't, it's still not fair at all.

I remember when this tourney was like, "14,000 dollar pot" or something, hyped up like that. That's called false advertising. I can understand the venue fee, but not making the winners pay for something they aren't responsibile for. If we had to choose between Frames or us, it's more Frames responsibility.

He should at least pay like half, or whoever was in charge of the xbox's should pay, and we can pay the other half. AT LEAST THAT'S KIND OF FAIR

In fact, you should check if there's security cameras or something or call the police to get the xbox's back

I like frames as a person, but not what he's doing

once again, it's not about the money, it's about the fairness

I am not dropping this argument, because I am right

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I'm uncertain why you're arguing that "now he has more money, therefore he is right"
never said that so I dunno why you quotin son....i clearly stated that it was LOGICAL and the better logical choice.

that post made no progress kevin and theres reason for me to anwser it or anything.(i'd be me repeating logic and sunning you all day on econ).

Im done now, I think i got my average post count up and my point across. so grab m2k by the hand and plz continue to run up that endless flight of stairs and make them U-turns in all range mode.

edit: w/e lifes not fair get over it......m2k why dont u just quit smash then if it upsets u that much. ppl only rsp'd to you on myspace because ur m2k not because they wanna hlep you put a stop to Karma so just suck it up

pockyD

Smash Legend
never said that so I dunno why you quotin son....i clearly stated that it was LOGICAL and the better logical choice.
the better choice FOR HIM. the much worse choice for everyone who should have been fairly awarded that money

if i didn't know you, i'd think you were just trolling me, but unfortunately it's not hard for me to believe that this is how you actually think

Mew2King

King of the Mews
swift's whole argument is "if you can do something and get away with it, it's cool for me, I don't give a **** about you LOL"

that's the mindset of a thief

edit - I have a thing called honor, but what you're suggesting is that maybe I shouldn't

maybe I need to change -.-

Frames

DI
OK this arguing has to stop.

Look, I know that it's unfair what happened, there's no excuse for what I did, taking from the pot to cover my own mistakes is unforgivable and it's something that I feel really bad about. I appreciate the fact that some are arguing in my defense, but unfortunately you can't argue the facts. I would have gladly paid from my own pocket had I the funds to cover it, but the truth is that I had to make a decision right away, based on the terms of the contract I signed, I had to have the venue left in exactly the same condition as it was left in, so that xbox had to be replaced before I left the YMCA. I faxed the contract to my lawyer to see if he could help, but unfortunately I was forced to replace the materials stolen in full immediately. I tried to negotiate a schedule (so that I could pay it little by little), but they wanted the whole thing up front, and I did what I had to to avoid a legal fiasco.

I guess I said all that because I didn't want people to at least try and see that I didn't just give up, I tried to work around it but I couldn't afford it. It's not like we just sat down and said "Oh well the big winners already made a profit, so what's the difference?"And yes, I could've killed my credit and taken out a loan that I would never be able to pay back on time, but I didn't feel like that was worth it, and if it makes me a bad person, then so be it.

Also, people shouldn't just say "Oh well it's ok cause he made money get over it" because that's just not an appropriate attitude, the fact is some people spent hundreds of dollars and traveled thousands of miles for this, and you can't discredit them. Just because someone made a lot of money doesn't mean they don't deserve to get less than they should only because they already have a lot. That's not right. Having fun at a tournament is important, but never to the point that people should lose the money they deserve.

Finally, just because that money was taken then doesn't mean it's gone forever. I have every intention of paying that full $626 to the winners when I can, I still don't have a job yet, but after I start working I will make sure that each person who lost money will get it back.

So to all the winners, I'm sorry I let you down, especially Mew2King, it was a tough decision, but at the time it was what I thought was the best decision.

pockyD

Smash Legend
OK this arguing has to stop.

Look, I know that it's unfair what happened, there's no excuse for what I did, taking from the pot to cover my own mistakes is unforgivable and it's something that I feel really bad about. I appreciate the fact that some are arguing in my defense, but unfortunately you can't argue the facts. I would have gladly paid from my own pocket had I the funds to cover it, but the truth is that I had to make a decision right away, based on the terms of the contract I signed, I had to have the venue left in exactly the same condition as it was left in, so that xbox had to be replaced before I left the YMCA. I faxed the contract to my lawyer to see if he could help, but unfortunately I was forced to replace the materials stolen in full immediately. I tried to negotiate a schedule (so that I could pay it little by little), but they wanted the whole thing up front, and I did what I had to to avoid a legal fiasco.

I guess I said all that because I didn't want people to at least try and see that I didn't just give up, I tried to work around it but I couldn't afford it. It's not like we just sat down and said "Oh well the big winners already made a profit, so what's the difference?"And yes, I could've killed my credit and taken out a loan that I would never be able to pay back on time, but I didn't feel like that was worth it, and if it makes me a bad person, then so be it.

Also, people shouldn't just say "Oh well it's ok cause he made money get over it" because that's just not an appropriate attitude, the fact is some people spent hundreds of dollars and traveled thousands of miles for this, and you can't discredit them. Just because someone made a lot of money doesn't mean they don't deserve to get less than they should only because they already have a lot. That's not right. Having fun at a tournament is important, but never to the point that people should lose the money they deserve.

Finally, just because that money was taken then doesn't mean it's gone forever. I have every intention of paying that full $626 to the winners when I can, I still don't have a job yet, but after I start working I will make sure that each person who lost money will get it back.

So to all the winners, I'm sorry I let you down, especially Mew2King, it was a tough decision, but at the time it was what I thought was the best decision.
thumbs up

Mew2King

King of the Mews
zordrun (6:55:47 PM): the YMCA was supposed to keep that room locked
oovideogamegodoo (6:55:50 PM): make them pay
oovideogamegodoo (6:55:55 PM): it's their fault
zordrun (6:55:56 PM): we tried
oovideogamegodoo (6:56:02 PM): lawyer
zordrun (6:56:03 PM): my lawyer and i talked with them
oovideogamegodoo (6:56:07 PM): >_>...;
oovideogamegodoo (6:56:13 PM): that's injustice
oovideogamegodoo (6:56:14 PM): wow
oovideogamegodoo (6:56:16 PM): what a bunch of ***s
zordrun (6:56:18 PM): basically what it came down too was
zordrun (6:56:26 PM): i said i would be responsible no matter what
zordrun (6:56:39 PM): and because i never checked to see that the Y did what they were supposed to
zordrun (6:56:41 PM): that makes me responsible
oovideogamegodoo (6:56:43 PM): WTF
oovideogamegodoo (6:56:47 PM): WOW
oovideogamegodoo (6:56:50 PM): what a horrible argument
oovideogamegodoo (6:56:52 PM): that's like some manacloud ****
zordrun (6:57:03 PM): right

-.-

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
You know what.

FUCK ALL THE THIEVES. THEY MAKE US LOSE VENUES, MONEY, PRIZE MONEY, CREDIT CARDS, RESPECT, AND ALWAYS PISS PEOPLE OFF.

IF YOU'VE EVER STOLEN SOMETHING AND MADE OTHERS PAY FOR IT, FUCK YOU, GET A JOB, AND QUIT FUCKING WITH THE COMMUNITY.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Let's be serious now, you or anyone on the boards isn't fighting anyone. No matter how much **** talk is giong on.
No.
Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words throw scar into a frenzy.
No it's not words it's your repeated attitude and disrespect, it's you as a person that pisses me off every time, and that's just the way it is so SERIOUSLY I'm not ****ing around, if you're gonna tell me to eat your *** then you better be prepared to make me next time we're in the same room.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
jason its cool if you think of me as a theif. im black so i do steal everything i can. matter of fact I took ur Wii @ that tourney I didn't attend. and that money in philly you lost I was invisible on the train. I also was disguised @ pound 3. I stole 1st place from you too.

thx frames for saying something. i was waiting.

Kevin i was not trolling you. I just saw the situation differently than you. its also why i shouldnt be a tourney host ever. w/e we agree to disagree like always im getting used to the routine.

seems like his thread can end now. unless hungry[box] keeps it alive like how hes doin GA tourney thread

chao

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i really dont see why the discussion about the 360 is still being talked about. its retarted really. lemme get one thing straight before i comment, was m2k the only one who lost money from the loss of the 360? or was it taken out as a whole.

bottom line, m2k was supposed to receive x amount of dollars
m2k is receiving x amount - 360 amount

in the aim convo m2k posted a couple posts back, he even said it himself
"zordrun (6:56:26 PM): i said i would be responsible no matter what"

he should be held responsible then, not m2k.

as a tourney director, you have to make sure stuff like this does not happen. b/c guess what, it all ends up on you.

you should have checked to see if the door was locked, and if it wasnt, then you get someone to lock it

if m2k wasnt the only one who had money taken from him (and it was taken from the overall pot), its unfair to everyone. its better than having it just taken from m2k, but since the ymca received money as a venue fee for this, if they need their xbox back so much, then they should use some of that money to get it.

idk how it should be dealt with per say, but m2k should not have to pay for it.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
lol if thieving really does become a big problem, hosts should start asking for a deposit on top of the venue fee to cover any damages/thefts if they occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom